Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I found a package of "Northwest Style Smoked Alaskan Scallops" in the back of my aunt's fridge that I forgot about. It hasn't been opened, and it's basically been in the fridge since she purchased it. There is a sicked on it that says 5/05. It looks to be vacuumed sealed and there is a bunch of grey water around it. I'm I going to die if I eat this? How do I tell if this is still good, there is no expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

obi_ant posted:

I found a package of "Northwest Style Smoked Alaskan Scallops" in the back of my aunt's fridge that I forgot about. It hasn't been opened, and it's basically been in the fridge since she purchased it. There is a sicked on it that says 5/05. It looks to be vacuumed sealed and there is a bunch of grey water around it. I'm I going to die if I eat this? How do I tell if this is still good, there is no expiration date.

I'd guess 5/05 is the "packaged on" or "sell by" date. If it was frozen, it might be a different story, but shellfish that has been sitting in a fridge for at least a month seems pretty risky, even if it's been smoked and vacuum sealed. I'd throw it away.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

BraveUlysses posted:

grilled beef patties? you mean burgers...with onions and bell peppers in them? :barf:
Hey man, if they were good enough for Eddie Murphy's mom, they're good enough for us.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I make Syrian kofta that have grated onion and capsicum in them. They are lamb though and they taste fantastic.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I adopted a chilli plant from some friends and this had been growing on it since it came into my possession. I decided to harvest it today for chilli cheese toast. I tried a bit on its own and it just tasted of... generic pepper things? I de-seeded it because it looked like it might be a bit of a badboy but actually it didn't impart any detectable heat. What is it? My friend has no idea, she went on a bit of a chilli-growing spree and doesn't recall what she planted.

The leaves of the plant look like this if that's at all helpful for identification:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like a shishito, and sounds like a shishito. They're great, but usually picked while completely green. They are most often fried, or roasted, then salted and served by themselves to be eaten straight since as you discovered, they have no real heat, just good pepper flavor.You'll not be getting enough at once with just the one plant to go that route, so I'd probably just roast any you get and put them on tacos, or on eggs or something.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Basically

I was going to put an egg in it. So it's kind of like halfway between a burger and meatballs

Sounds a lot like my meatloaf. So I’ll just recommend grating the onion and roasting the pepper to remove the skin. Dice is very fine and sauté the onion and pepper with garlic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m looking for recommendations for pans. We have a medium cast iron and an electric nonstick skillet, but we kind of want to get some nice pans that don’t have nonstick that flakes off. A bonus would be dishwashable, but we don’t really mind having to deglaze and wipe and oil cast iron. We like how the cast iron goes in the oven so that’d be good too, if it wasn’t cast iron with the modicum of cleaning and maintenance they require.

So I guess the criteria are:

Size
Nonstickiness without Teflon
Durability
Flexibility

Any ideas?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Those criteria kind of limit you to cast iron or carbon steel. I have both and prefer carbon steel for most things because it's better at temperature regulation. My cast iron tends to get hotter and hotter and I have to adjust the temperature down. Every other non-stick option I've tried (besides teflon, carbon steel, cast iron) has been garbage.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for recommendations for pans. We have a medium cast iron and an electric nonstick skillet, but we kind of want to get some nice pans that don’t have nonstick that flakes off. A bonus would be dishwashable, but we don’t really mind having to deglaze and wipe and oil cast iron. We like how the cast iron goes in the oven so that’d be good too, if it wasn’t cast iron with the modicum of cleaning and maintenance they require.

Size
Durability
Flexibility

Any ideas?

Circulon Infinite

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does pork sirloin really expire so quickly? At work I can never find some that doesn't have an expiration date of 2 days, and cooking for one I struggle to eat 3-4 pounds of pork in 2 days.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Does pork sirloin really expire so quickly? At work I can never find some that doesn't have an expiration date of 2 days, and cooking for one I struggle to eat 3-4 pounds of pork in 2 days.

Once you cook it it’ll last until the heat death of the universe. Or until it smells bad. Whichever comes first, I guess.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I adopted a chilli plant from some friends and this had been growing on it since it came into my possession. I decided to harvest it today for chilli cheese toast. I tried a bit on its own and it just tasted of... generic pepper things? I de-seeded it because it looked like it might be a bit of a badboy but actually it didn't impart any detectable heat. What is it? My friend has no idea, she went on a bit of a chilli-growing spree and doesn't recall what she planted.

The leaves of the plant look like this if that's at all helpful for identification:

Maybe an ají dulce/ají cachucha/ajicito or something like that. From what I can see it definitely looks like a C. chinense as opposed to a C. annuum or C. frutescens (C. annuum flowers grow one per node, C. chinense and C. frutescens grow multiple; C. annuum and C. frutescens grow peppers pointing up, C. chinense grown peppers hanging down).

That said, most C. chinense peppers are hot, so either one of the few that are naturally mild, or one of the many mild hybrids that are popular these days.

More photos of the whole plant and the interior of the flowers would help. Maybe. There are a lot of pepper plants out there and I'm no botanist.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

Once you cook it it’ll last until the heat death of the universe. Or until it smells bad. Whichever comes first, I guess.

I'm gonna take your word for this, but if I get food poisoning I'm gonna collect all my vomit in a bag and mail it to you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have never seen cooked meat go off in under a week when properly refrigerated.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So this is a pretty stupid question, but oh well!

How long will diced sweet potatoes stay good in a refrigerator? I've never cooked with them before, but bbasically my partner wants to do some meal prep for easy breakfasts, and a sweet-potato-egg-scramble thing is our current plan. Could I dice up a couple on Monday and have them still be good by Friday? Thanks!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This past weekend I came across a specialty spice store and bought some fancy pepper. It was smoked and soaked in scotch. The aroma is amazing (not yet sure how the flavor will translate) but I realized I wasn't sure the best way to utilize this. What would be a good recipe that highlights the pepper?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

So this is a pretty stupid question, but oh well!

How long will diced sweet potatoes stay good in a refrigerator? I've never cooked with them before, but bbasically my partner wants to do some meal prep for easy breakfasts, and a sweet-potato-egg-scramble thing is our current plan. Could I dice up a couple on Monday and have them still be good by Friday? Thanks!

Yes, they'll be fine for five days in the fridge, but make sure to store them in water so as to avoid the surface of the cut potato pieces from oxidizing which will change its color and make it taste worse (not dangerous, just worse).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Yes, they'll be fine for five days in the fridge, but make sure to store them in water so as to avoid the surface of the cut potato pieces from oxidizing which will change its color and make it taste worse (not dangerous, just worse).

I dig! Like completely submerged in water, or just wet papertowel kind of dampness?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

I dig! Like completely submerged in water, or just wet papertowel kind of dampness?

Completely submerged.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Completely submerged.

Awesome, thanks again!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lifts cats over head posted:

This past weekend I came across a specialty spice store and bought some fancy pepper. It was smoked and soaked in scotch. The aroma is amazing (not yet sure how the flavor will translate) but I realized I wasn't sure the best way to utilize this. What would be a good recipe that highlights the pepper?

Grind it fresh over an otherwise finished dish

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

I feel like it might be good in cookies, pastries, or desserts. Ginger snaps, maybe?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Grind it over soft, mild cheeses on crackers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I bought myself a nice coffee machine, and I was wondering about water.

I have a well, and the water is quite mineral-rich. The Keurig I was using got scaled to the point that even with regular descaling it just wasn't working well. I guess i should be buying jugs of water, but I was unsure what kind. Distilled? Regular jugs of water?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Cacio e pepe

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

tuyop posted:

Size
Durability
Flexibility

Any ideas?

We really like our Scanpans. Got them as a gift, which is nice because they're expensive ($100 for 11" and an extra $35 for the lid!) but they tick off all your boxes. We've put them in the oven up to 450°F, but they claim to go up to 500F. That's a good thing, because if you pan-sear meat it's very easy to get some of the grease up above that in between batches.

As long as you abide by their care instructions, they have a lifetime replacement guarantee, which admittedly I haven't tested.

We've had a 11" and a 8" for over a year and they are still nonstick for eggs, which since we don't cook fish or crêpes is about the best test I can give.

ALL THAT SAID I still would probably recommend dropping $50 on a carbon steel pan and spending the ~3 hours to strip it and season. It's more nonstick, I can scrub with copper wool without leaving a scratch, and it can probably go as hot as my stove or oven can crank. I scraped smash burgers off with a metal dough cutter just fine.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pfefferneussen, a delicious pepper cookie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Annath posted:

Hey so I bought myself a nice coffee machine, and I was wondering about water.

I have a well, and the water is quite mineral-rich. The Keurig I was using got scaled to the point that even with regular descaling it just wasn't working well. I guess i should be buying jugs of water, but I was unsure what kind. Distilled? Regular jugs of water?

If you bought yourself a nice coffee machine, scale wouldn't matter. :smug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you bought yourself a nice coffee machine, scale wouldn't matter. :smug:

I travel 4 days a week, so I bought a grinder to powder my beans and a Ninja machine that will automate turning powder into drink.

I don't have the time, money, or water quality to get one of those $2500 contraptions that hooks into the water line and has a raspberry pi for a brain.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it true that the longer you boil a chicken for broth the better?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Annath posted:

I travel 4 days a week, so I bought a grinder to powder my beans and a Ninja machine that will automate turning powder into drink.

I don't have the time, money, or water quality to get one of those $2500 contraptions that hooks into the water line and has a raspberry pi for a brain.

Just get a French press is what I'm saying.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it true that the longer you boil a chicken for broth the better?

75% of that is for gelatin from the bones, and 25% of that is flavor*. 1 hour in a pressure cooker works great. If you don't have a pressure cooker, and can't boil for 3 hours, I'd do as long as you can + 1 packet of gelatin.

*I would be kicked out of most French restaurants if the chef heard me say this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My wife and I don't have kids and are taking care of my Brother in-laws 5 and 9 yr old daughters this week due to some mild emergency stuff.

We eat fairly healthy and I know my way around a kitchen. My in-laws largely let the kids subsist on a diet of hot dogs, fries, chicken tenders, pizza and mac and cheese. We're realistic enough to know we aren't going to change these kids diets in one week, and aren't going to try to else they equate coming see their aunt and uncle with misery, but I do want to cook a few things while they are here to give them a little more than just the above crap. Maybe 2-3 meals total.

For those of you that have kids / cook for kids in that age range, any suggestions?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Works posted:

My wife and I don't have kids and are taking care of my Brother in-laws 5 and 9 yr old daughters this week due to some mild emergency stuff.

We eat fairly healthy and I know my way around a kitchen. My in-laws largely let the kids subsist on a diet of hot dogs, fries, chicken tenders, pizza and mac and cheese. We're realistic enough to know we aren't going to change these kids diets in one week, and aren't going to try to else they equate coming see their aunt and uncle with misery, but I do want to cook a few things while they are here to give them a little more than just the above crap. Maybe 2-3 meals total.

For those of you that have kids / cook for kids in that age range, any suggestions?

If you're having to take care of your nieces because of some "mild emergency" stuff, I'd say just give the kids what they're used to. Even if the emergency situation doesn't affect them directly, the girls will still be experiencing a certain level of stress and anxiety while being away from their parents. Turning their normal diets on their head won't help in easing that anxiety, and may make it worse. I don't mean to be a party pooper since I know this is not the advice you're looking for, but if you feel the need to cook something more authentic or homemade than the garbage they normally eat, why not try making homemade versions of the stuff they like? Making homemade pizza with kids is fun since they can top it with whatever they want. Mac and cheese with homemade cheese sauce, throw a couple veggies in there. Hot dogs with a nice fresh coleslaw on the side. Instead of french fries, make some banging roasted potatoes for them. You could even cut them similarly in size to french fries so the illusion is there. Make them egg-in-a-hole - it's easy and will impress them if they're used to eating no-effort trash.

Good luck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

If you're having to take care of your nieces because of some "mild emergency" stuff, I'd say just give the kids what they're used to. Even if the emergency situation doesn't affect them directly, the girls will still be experiencing a certain level of stress and anxiety while being away from their parents. Turning their normal diets on their head won't help in easing that anxiety, and may make it worse. I don't mean to be a party pooper since I know this is not the advice you're looking for, but if you feel the need to cook something more authentic or homemade than the garbage they normally eat, why not try making homemade versions of the stuff they like? Making homemade pizza with kids is fun since they can top it with whatever they want. Mac and cheese with homemade cheese sauce, throw a couple veggies in there. Hot dogs with a nice fresh coleslaw on the side. Instead of french fries, make some banging roasted potatoes for them. You could even cut them similarly in size to french fries so the illusion is there. Make them egg-in-a-hole - it's easy and will impress them if they're used to eating no-effort trash.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Was kinda thinking the same thing and am defaulting to giving them what they want, just thinking of a few options to include for what their parents call "No thank you" portions for the kids to eat a bite of or something. Will probably try a few of your suggestions and I think the 9 yr old is interested enough to help out in the kitchen so it could be fun. (I also need ways to keep them busy).

It shouldn't be too traumatic, mild emergency is their mom had another daughter but has to stay in the hospital / rest few days. Their new sister is healthy and they already got to hold her etc, just need the mom to stay in the ward for observation for a day and needs some bed rest for a few days after. Mostly we're just doing this so my brother in law isn't totally wrecked for the whole week taking care of everything so it shouldn't be toooo stressful.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

That Works posted:

I largely agree with The Midnighter. Homemade pizza is a great idea. Along the lines of their other ideas, I'd suggest homemade fried chicken filets and sweet potato fries.

If you want to push vegetables, bite-size pieces of roasted red pepper has always seemed like a kind of candy to me — and roasted asparagus is bland enough to taste a bit like french fries to me with the oil and salt.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

I largely agree with The Midnighter. Homemade pizza is a great idea. Along the lines of their other ideas, I'd suggest homemade fried chicken filets and sweet potato fries.

If you want to push vegetables, bite-size pieces of roasted red pepper has always seemed like a kind of candy to me — and roasted asparagus is bland enough to taste a bit like french fries to me with the oil and salt.

Yeah I was thinkin of doing some of the Food Lab flour tortilla pizzas in a skillet. Have made those for a quick post-drinking snack etc and they are tasty. Maybe let the older kid do a little bit of chopping and they can like spell stuff out or make pictures with the toppings or some poo poo.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

75% of that is for gelatin from the bones, and 25% of that is flavor*. 1 hour in a pressure cooker works great. If you don't have a pressure cooker, and can't boil for 3 hours, I'd do as long as you can + 1 packet of gelatin.

*I would be kicked out of most French restaurants if the chef heard me say this

Also, if you go past 3 hours, the chicken will begin to disintegrate into particles. I usually base cooking times on the desired meat texture, and just work with whatever flavor it gives me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My kids like broccoli so it's a bit easier. Perhaps you could do something like Broccoli mash potatoes to sneak in some veggies. Stir fry gives them tons of veggies and also appeals to the salt & fat taste. Trying some fruit especially if it's with desert usually works for my kids too. Even if it's as simple as blackberries with some sugar or strawberries with some powdered sugar or whip cream.