Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One theory I like is that Frank never actually intended on writing more books and left Daniel and Marty deliberately vague so people would speculate. Then once he was gone the stories would kind of take on a life of their own as people wondered just what he intended them to be.

Then Brian came along and went "lol they're fukken robots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Done, I've had enough of this planet

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Someone said the best Dune is the one from a dusty old bookshop, these are the ones I have been reading at the moment.

Something I noticed at the end of Dune that I don't recall coming up again was a remark about future threats to the throne possibly coming from a bastard child of Feyd. Not that it needs to come up again or anything, but I did find it interesting that I hadn't thought about it or noticed it in the 10 or so previous times reading the book.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, but Paul woulda known about any child between Fenring and Feyd. Considering that the Harkonnen killed his first child in the crib, they would have been foolish to try that angle. I think it was just some contingency plan the BG had in case they had to get rid of Feyd and the Baron (and Paul).

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah good point, the BG are always going on about the genetic codes in their long term breeding program so just another potential cross to breed.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Someone said the best Dune is the one from a dusty old bookshop, these are the ones I have been reading at the moment.

Those Fremen depictions are pretty great. I'd feel a little better about them if they didn't look like flashy klansmen, but whatever, you can't have everything I guess.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Something I noticed at the end of Dune that I don't recall coming up again was a remark about future threats to the throne possibly coming from a bastard child of Feyd. Not that it needs to come up again or anything, but I did find it interesting that I hadn't thought about it or noticed it in the 10 or so previous times reading the book.

Oh poo poo, I have the same copy of the first Dune

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Shaddak posted:

I'm down with the idea of Marty and Daniel being facedancers. Assuming that's where Frank was going with it, I do wonder about how they were able to contact Duncan. I mean, as others have suggested, maybe they were facedancers that absorbed so many lives they became god-like. I was thinking it may have had something to do with whatever the Tleilaxu had done to this incarnation of Duncan. We still don't what all they crammed into his cells.

My guess is that Duncan has whatever base that those face dancers where he is able to access and synthesize his previous ghola memories. These ones have the expanded set that they can absorb other people as well, which probably puts them in a category of being like a more pastoral version of the Borg. They go from place to place, absorbing skills and memories of different people's and species and keeping the most useful parts, which in this universe gives them stupid amounts of psychic powers. Chances are they probably have gone and created their own axolotl tanks and can simply transfer themselves into better and better bodies until they're mentally projecting teleportation nets or whatever the gently caress Duncan was seeing.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yeah, the fact that they show up right at the end was so out of the blue that it turbofucks any analysis of the story. lol

I kinda thought the "weeding" was like the "net" that Idaho saw in his mentat projections. Some kind of metaphor for something that humans could barely grasp. That's part of what made me think aliens, because the implication was that they were tampering with human beings on a galactic scale.

I imagine they were facedancers because of the description but it would also resolve why the hell Scytale is left as a character in the book. Unless Frank Herbert just kind of didn't give a gently caress and forgot why he was there, Scytale would likely end up playing some sort of key role, or act as a form of exposition.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I’m a facesitter

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

yeah bruce pennington is the man when it comes to 70s sci fi covers. his gene wolfe ones were also boss

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

So if the Face Dancers set up an authoritarian government, would ther followers be face-ists?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Clipperton posted:

yeah bruce pennington is the man when it comes to 70s sci fi covers. his gene wolfe ones were also boss

I have the Book of the New Sun series with some covers by that guy or a guy like him, super cool. Golden Age sci-fi covers are the best, sometimes I'll buy old paperbacks just for the badass cover.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Clipperton posted:

This owns. It reminds me of like Dan Seagrave crossed with Beksinski.

Seagrave:

Zdzislaw Beksinski:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

I imagine they were facedancers because of the description but it would also resolve why the hell Scytale is left as a character in the book. Unless Frank Herbert just kind of didn't give a gently caress and forgot why he was there, Scytale would likely end up playing some sort of key role, or act as a form of exposition.

My take:
The BG and BT were opposites. The Bene Gesserit only admitted a few men to their higher ranks (even then, most of them weren't full initiates) and the Tleilaxu reduced women to cybernetic broodmares. So the extremes are represented at one end by the Rabbi's daughter, who holds the lost memories of a destroyed world, and Scytale, the surviving Tleilaxu on the other. He had the "null entropy" capsule that contains the genetic information to seed a new world.

Frank Herbert was always talking about the sexes and their peculiarities. I think he put that in there to joke about how we are guided by our masculine/feminine natures. The two characters are there only for that.

As for Marty and Daniel, I'm inclined towards Toxic Slurpee's post. They were put in there to leave the ending open to interpretation. No doubt he could have picked up and gone from there, but I stopped reading once his son started writing.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
If only we had gotten ten more years :(

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Dune series teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

The Dune series teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Noice

Edit: Close thread.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 19, 2018

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

rndmnmbr posted:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

rndmnmbr posted:

one of my favorite quotes when writing

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

rndmnmbr posted:

Milky Moor posted:

one of my favorite quotes when posting in E/N

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have a 2nd run copy of dune and incant find kt but if i do, ill post pics for dickwaving

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Do you think FH would have brought Miles Teg back again in the 7th?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
sure why not, according to his 'notes' he was gonna bring back every character from the series for a final showdown like some kind of dunezilla final wars

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
seriously

dune wiki posted:

Over the course of two decades, the gholas of Stilgar, Wellington Yueh, Liet Kynes, Chani, Jessica Atreides, Paul Atreides, Thufir Hawat, Alia Atreides, and Leto II, were created; as they were led by Duncan Idaho and a ghola of Miles Teg, through the cosmos.

Even though a ghola of Alia Atreides was birthed, someone killed the gholas of Xavier Harkonnen, Serena Butler, and Gurney Halleck, that Sheeana had decided to raise in their war, if needed, against the Enemy. A ghola of Wellington Yueh, being tricked by the Jewish Rabbi, purposely killed a ghola of Leto being raised in the ships' Axlotl Tanks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

sure why not, according to his 'notes' he was gonna bring back every character from the series for a final showdown like some kind of dunezilla final wars

An ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny, if you will.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That's all based on what Brian Herbert tells us, so there's no reason to believe it. More likely it was the idea of some shameful hack who writes stuff on that level all the time. Does Brian Herbert know anyone like that???

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

phasmid posted:

That's all based on what Brian Herbert tells us, so there's no reason to believe it. More likely it was the idea of some shameful hack who writes stuff on that level all the time. Does Brian Herbert know anyone like that???

Yep. His dad.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I haven't read Dune 7, but I now imagine it to be just Hunger Games with every character in the entire Dune series.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Kull wahad!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that's right, its my seventh book in a long running sci fi series, you know what that means

*every character comes back to life for a HUGE party*

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Cripes. Glad there was only one Dune book

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

gender illusionist posted:

Cripes. Glad there was only one Dune book

This is still a better statement by far than “I liked the BH/KJA novels”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arven posted:

I haven't read Dune 7, but I now imagine it to be just Hunger Games with every character in the entire Dune series.

~Thufir Hawat’s hairless poison antidote cat is the last man standing~

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Uhh. I was about to

I was about to comment on how it’s really transparent and dumb how Serena Butler, the woman from the prequel series who sparked the Butlerian Jihad when a robot (not Lord Cybertrex) chucked her baby out a window comes back in the chronologically new books.

But then “the Jewish Rabbi” kills a bunch of people? Any reason why....?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 23, 2018

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uhh. I was about to

I was about to comment on how it’s really transparent and dumb how Serena Butler, the woman from the prequel series who sparked the Butlerian Jihad when a robot (not Lord Cybertrex) chucked her baby out a window.

But then “the Jewish Rabbi” kills a bunch of people? Any reason why....?

(((DUNE)))

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

phasmid posted:

I thought Scytale revealed that he had a capsule full of all the main characters in Chapterhouse. I mean I don’t think Frank would’ve pulled the trigger on that, but he did toss that chekov’s gun onto the mantle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arven posted:

I'm so tired of all these Butlerian Jihads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

These Butlerian Jihads are making me thirsty