Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lord Koth posted:

The tl;dr version of it is, as far as I'm aware, is that the licensing rights for the PC version is tied up in a copyright mess due to technically being owned by some Chinese company, and the original version was on the PSP.

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary of the situation as I understand it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that the Trails PC games sell well.

Not well enough, considering the scale the project would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's not a copyright issue. Joyoland had the PC rights to Ys Seven and Celceta and XSEED simply made their own PC ports of them. They can do their own PC ports of Zero (though there is a Japanese PC port of that they can use) and Ao too; but yeah. They wouldn't make nearly enough money to fund the investment it'd take to do that and translate the script.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary of the situation as I understand it.

Not well enough, considering the scale the project would be.

I mean didn't SC make a profit? That is likely a bigger undertaking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean didn't SC make a profit? That is likely a bigger undertaking.

Zero and Azure are individually only slightly smaller scriptwise than SC and XSeed would have to release both of them.

That's in addition to the issue that there's no Japanese version of Azure except on PSP.

No matter how you frame it, the likelihood of XSeed being able to release Crossbell may not literally be zero, but it's close enough for government work.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Some Numbers posted:

That's in addition to the issue that there's no Japanese version of Azure except on PSP.
Do you mean the original? Because it's on the Vita too albeit as a remake.

Didn't realize Toval would show up in Azure (assuming that's what you meant because I didn't see him anywhere in Zero) and I just got past the intermission so that's another nice thing to look forward to besides seeing the two Gralsritters again.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Do you mean the original? Because it's on the Vita too albeit as a remake.

Didn't realize Toval would show up in Azure (assuming that's what you meant because I didn't see him anywhere in Zero) and I just got past the intermission so that's another nice thing to look forward to besides seeing the two Gralsritters again.

The Vita versions were outsourced to a completely different company and would be even less viable to bring over

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Ah yeah, I saw the logos and all but I wasn't sure if 3rd parties did the development, the publishing, or both. It would be more of a hassle however its arranged.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
XSeed should do a Kickstarter for Crossbell.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Unless that Kickstarter includes more staff it wouldn't help much.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kondo has said in more recent interviews that once Cold Steel 4 hits japan they want to really push for all the games to be out overseas before they get started on the Calvard arc. So much like any news about XSeed CS3, don't expect anything until after September this year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Kondo has said in more recent interviews that once Cold Steel 4 hits japan they want to really push for all the games to be out overseas before they get started on the Calvard arc. So much like any news about XSeed CS3, don't expect anything until after September this year.

If true, that's a pretty big deal, because if Falcom could work on the PC ports, that would take a lot of pressure off XSeed.

At least, I hope it would be XSeed, we don't need NISA anywhere remotely close to the Trails series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I played Cold Steel 3 in Japanese and just wanted to mention that it's dramatically better than 1 and 2. The biggest thing that stood out to me is that the new characters are significantly more interesting than most of the main cast of 1/2, and it really helps having them limited to a smaller, more manageable group. A big issue I had with CS1/2 is that the group was too big to really give the same "tight knit" feeling as either Estelle/Joshua or the SSS from Zero/Ao. I'm really excited about 4 coming out later this year.

By the way, I would strongly recommend avoiding any information about CS4, since you'll probably end up getting spoiled on some important events from CS3 in the process.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's something i've been curious for for a while but i just realized i don't have to when the game is actually out: did they keep the relationship values system, and can you still pick your favourite romantic partner for Rean?

I assume at least some form of the arcus links stuff is still in.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
They actually separated arcus link level and relationship level in 3 but yeah. The only ones that really have a romantic option in their final max affection scenes are Alisa, Emma, and Laura though. Also you can technically see like 8 scenes in one playthrough if you want to lol. It feels less 'significant' than in 1 or 2

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Man, if they were going to make the choices less important they could've just gone ahead and gotten rid of it in favour of some solid canon.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

If true, that's a pretty big deal, because if Falcom could work on the PC ports, that would take a lot of pressure off XSeed.

At least, I hope it would be XSeed, we don't need NISA anywhere remotely close to the Trails series.

I'm pretty sure Falcom said CS1 and CS2 Kai for the PS4 were the last ports they were gonna do in-house. It's been ages since they did PC programming, so I'm not convinced they'd try their hand at PC porting. It's not a matter of pressure anyway since the people who work on the ports are not the same people as the folks doing the translating.

I'm not really sure what exactly they intend to do to "promote" their games in the west or if it's just pretty words.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

I'm pretty sure Falcom said CS1 and CS2 Kai for the PS4 were the last ports they were gonna do in-house. It's been ages since they did PC programming, so I'm not convinced they'd try their hand at PC porting. It's not a matter of pressure anyway since the people who work on the ports are not the same people as the folks doing the translating.

I'm not really sure what exactly they intend to do to "promote" their games in the west or if it's just pretty words.

I was more thinking that if Falcom did some coding work that would mean that XSeed wouldn't have to BOTH translate the games and create the PC ports.

So I guess it's less "take the pressure off" and more "share the workload."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Man, if they were going to make the choices less important they could've just gone ahead and gotten rid of it in favour of some solid canon.

I have been told the games are really heavy on pushing Alicia as canon despite giving the other options.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

I have been told the games are really heavy on pushing Alicia as canon despite giving the other options.

CS2 has a scene where Rean and Alisa suddenly remember that they were childhood friends all along.

No, really.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Really Pants posted:

CS2 has a scene where Rean and Alisa suddenly remember that they were childhood friends all along.

No, really.

The Arcus is GFs, this is canon

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

No, really.

That's a stretch. They simply remember that they met once. It's a coincidence but since Alisa's always lived in Roer and Rean's lived most of his life in a village relatively close to Roer that's one of the more popular vacation spots in the region, it's not THAT unrealistic. And Rean states that if they'd remember upon meeting in Trista, it might be fate or something, but as it is, it's just a funny coincidence and they decide not to put any further stake in it. Overall, the trope's handled fairly well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

No, really.

Not "childhood friends". Alisa was lost in the woods outside Ymir and Rean led her back. Doesn't even seem like they exchanged names. They probably didn't remember the meeting because Rean's spooky powers manifested the year after that, and Alisa's father died some time after as well (those things are probably not related).

It's not unreasonable for a brief meeting 8 years before CS 1 to have been forgotten.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So I played Cold Steel 3 in Japanese and just wanted to mention that it's dramatically better than 1 and 2. The biggest thing that stood out to me is that the new characters are significantly more interesting than most of the main cast of 1/2, and it really helps having them limited to a smaller, more manageable group. A big issue I had with CS1/2 is that the group was too big to really give the same "tight knit" feeling as either Estelle/Joshua or the SSS from Zero/Ao. I'm really excited about 4 coming out later this year.

By the way, I would strongly recommend avoiding any information about CS4, since you'll probably end up getting spoiled on some important events from CS3 in the process.

Yeah Juna, Kurt, Musee and Ash are all more interesting than the old cast. Even Altina is a lot more interesting and a hell of a lot less cringe inducing in 3. I actually like her as a character now. I think the biggest improvement is Rean himself though, he's honestly a far more interesting character as an instructor than as a student.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Boo at talking like Altina's the weakest link. She felt like the main heroine in a sense(more so than Juna), she was great.

But yeah it's funny how just one game made me like almost all the main characters more than 2 games worth of old Class 7. In fact I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most in 4 is based on my curiosity on what the deal is with a certain character. It's a strange feeling to be looking forward to a Cold Steel game based on a character of all things!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The n00b Avenger posted:

Boo at talking like Altina's the weakest link. She felt like the main heroine in a sense(more so than Juna), she was great.

But yeah it's funny how just one game made me like almost all the main characters more than 2 games worth of old Class 7. In fact I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most in 4 is based on my curiosity on what the deal is with a certain character. It's a strange feeling to be looking forward to a Cold Steel game based on a character of all things!

I didn't mean it like that, Altina is great in 3. It's just that 2 really gives you a bad first impression of her so she went from one of my least liked characters in 2 to one of my favourites in 3.

But yeah the cast of 3 are just plain more interesting. 3 even makes most of Class VII interesting; I couldn't care about Gaius in 1 and 2 but he's one of the more intriguing characters in 3.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 21, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked altina a lot in 2

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
I don't think she had enough presence in 2 to really form an opinion either positive or negative. She was just sort of a mindless puppet following orders anyway.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Altina is the heroine she's paired with Rean in 100% of the promo art

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She showed enough pizzazz with a few scenes and her voice acting (you will assuredly go splat and die) that she didn't feel mindless to me. I also like her relationship with Rean going into 3, with their weird enemy-ally-student-spy-(CS2)both are puppets of the Big O thing that they have going on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Altina is the heroine she's paired with Rean in 100% of the promo art

she's the daughter

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Rean giving Altina headpats is best post-battle conversation

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

she's the daughter

That is the one story they write yes

btw don't mistake Alisa for the mother in this relationship, I'm struggling to remember a time they even spoke to one another

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh come now, Falcom writes lots of different stories.

Anyway, my favorite Trails character is the single dad with a dead wife who has a daughter, and is the strongest (swords)man in his homeland.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Saying what game I'm spoiling in the given context would actually give away the name that was in spoiler tags, making it counter productive. But since the game was already brought up by someone else it can't really be avoided anymore so I removed the original text here since that's the only way to avoid the spoiler now(granted it's not really a significant spoiler or anything)

The n00b Avenger fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 21, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Please mark if you're giving CS3 spoilers, man

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terper posted:

Oh come now, Falcom writes lots of different stories.

Anyway, my favorite Trails character is the single dad with a dead wife who has a daughter, and is the strongest (swords)man in his homeland.

I legitimately cannot tell if you're talking about Cassius here or Arios.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol don't click that one either

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I mean that's early zero stuff, hardly a big revelation

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think that's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Please.

Clearly he's talking about Victor Arseid.