Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Well, good luck with that. Certainly gonna need it if your fighters aren't getting any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Allies certainly got some hits in there :stare:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's fine, those Allied CV's are gonna do something like pull up and try to duel the shore batteries with nothing but a very brave ensign on a .50 cal, everything is PERFECTLY FINE AND WILL BE FOREVER

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

19 June 1944

American troops began landing on Saipan last week, barely a week after D-Day, with the full might of Spruance's Fifth Fleet in support. In response, the Combined Fleet sortied in force under Admiral Ozawa seeking Decisive Battle. Nine Japanese carriers, five battleships, 13 cruisers, 31 destroyers, and 24 submarines opposed 15 American carriers, seven battleships, 21 cruisers, 68 destroyers, and 28 submarines. The American sub force detected Ozawa's fleet several days ago and, today, drew first blood (the Japanese carriers had already launched strikes, taking advantage of their long-range aircraft, but achieved nothing of significance). Albacore put a single torpedo into the brand-new fleet carrier Taiho. The damage was eminently survivable but, famously, serious damage-control blunders ultimately doomed the ship after the crew mistakenly vented aviation fuel fumes throughout the interior. As Taiho built to a climax, USS Cavalla hit the veteran Shokaku with three torpedoes, causing heavy fires, heavy damage. Shokaku was destroyed when the bomb room exploded.

Russian MTBs torpedoed the German torpedo boat T-31 in the Gulf of Finland.

20 June 1944

Fifth Fleet's counterpunch came today from maximum range. The tattered Japanese air groups were less effective than the tyranny of distance and time. American aircraft sank Hiyo and damaged several other ships, but were disappointed by their inability to complete the destruction of Ozawa's force.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

19 June 1944

American troops began landing on Saipan last week, barely a week after D-Day, with the full might of Spruance's Fifth Fleet in support. In response, the Combined Fleet sortied in force under Admiral Ozawa seeking Decisive Battle. Nine Japanese carriers, five battleships, 13 cruisers, 31 destroyers, and 24 submarines opposed 15 American carriers, seven battleships, 21 cruisers, 68 destroyers, and 28 submarines. The American sub force detected Ozawa's fleet several days ago and, today, drew first blood (the Japanese carriers had already launched strikes, taking advantage of their long-range aircraft, but achieved nothing of significance). Albacore put a single torpedo into the brand-new fleet carrier Taiho. The damage was eminently survivable but, famously, serious damage-control blunders ultimately doomed the ship after the crew mistakenly vented aviation fuel fumes throughout the interior. As Taiho built to a climax, USS Cavalla hit the veteran Shokaku with three torpedoes, causing heavy fires, heavy damage. Shokaku was destroyed when the bomb room exploded.

Russian MTBs torpedoed the German torpedo boat T-31 in the Gulf of Finland.

20 June 1944

Fifth Fleet's counterpunch came today from maximum range. The tattered Japanese air groups were less effective than the tyranny of distance and time. American aircraft sank Hiyo and damaged several other ships, but were disappointed by their inability to complete the destruction of Ozawa's force.

The conventional wisdom is that the CV eclipsed the BB after Pearl Harbor and they e ruled the waves ever since.

What I see though is that the SS was the real threat to sea power, we’ve just never had the peer battle to dramatically prove it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ron Jeremy posted:

The conventional wisdom is that the CV eclipsed the BB after Pearl Harbor and they e ruled the waves ever since.

What I see though is that the SS was the real threat to sea power, we’ve just never had the peer battle to dramatically prove it.

even outside of the successes of the Silent Service against Japanese combat ships, it's also quite true that the Japanese logistical system ground to a halt over the sheer amount of tonnage sunk of their merchant marine - essentially what Germany had been wanting to do to the UK, the US managed to do against Japan.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

Subs can also only deny the seas, not control it. They have a very limited ability to project power and even that is more by an indirect delivery system for nukes/cruise missiles.

Strategy requires not just denial of the sea to the enemy but the ability to control it for your own ends, and at least tactically now purely submarines cannot wholly manage this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wedgekree posted:

Subs can also only deny the seas, not control it. They have a very limited ability to project power and even that is more by an indirect delivery system for nukes/cruise missiles.

Strategy requires not just denial of the sea to the enemy but the ability to control it for your own ends, and at least tactically now purely submarines cannot wholly manage this.

To elaborate a little more on this for others, subs lack 'staying power.' Japan saw the carrier as a tactical weapon, the Kido Butai as a raiding force capable of doing immense damage but not suited for anything but hit-and-run affairs to sink enemy ships and damage installations. It was the Americans who developed the true carrier task force, fleets that could stand toe to toe with occupied islands and grind them down with sustained air power. This is what's meant by control of the sea, and it's an effect submarines were not capable of. Submarines could and did strangle enemy logistics and prevent reinforcement and resupply, but they could not make a stretch of the ocean safe for their own side's supply convoys, invasion forces, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

The correct answer is, as always, overwhelming advantage of force of arms. Secondarily, combined arms usually wins out over an opponent who overly focuses on a single type, and adaptivity over the course of a long war is also critical. The state of the art is always changing, so it's foolish to pin everything on a single type for any extended length of time.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

quote:

Albacore put a single torpedo into the brand-new fleet carrier Taiho. The damage was eminently survivable but, famously, serious damage-control blunders ultimately doomed the ship after the crew mistakenly vented aviation fuel fumes throughout the interior.

:japan:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

gradenko_2000 posted:

even outside of the successes of the Silent Service against Japanese combat ships, it's also quite true that the Japanese logistical system ground to a halt over the sheer amount of tonnage sunk of their merchant marine - essentially what Germany had been wanting to do to the UK, the US managed to do against Japan.

Not helped by the fact that the Japanese didn't put commerce defense into their overall war plan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SolarFire2 posted:

Not helped by the fact that the Japanese didn't put commerce defense into their overall war plan.

And ASW was a low-priority, low-prestige role. So they gave it zero money and assigned all of the washout idiots to run it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

To be fair, weren't even the Americans surprised at just how effective their sub campaign turned out to be? Though I guess Japan's general lack of a response meant it was like the German Happy Times, but like, the whole time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PittTheElder posted:

To be fair, weren't even the Americans surprised at just how effective their sub campaign turned out to be? Though I guess Japan's general lack of a response meant it was like the German Happy Times, but like, the whole time.

They were surprised at how ineffective Japanese ASW was, but no. Japan had the same vulnerability to submarine interdiction as Britain, and so the US employed submarines for the same reason Germany used them against Britain. One of the alternative plans for dealing with the Home Islands was Operation Starvation: impose a total blockade of Japan and wait for starvation and disease to bring the Japanese to their knees.

Zeroisanumber posted:

And ASW was a low-priority, low-prestige role. So they gave it zero money and assigned all of the washout idiots to run it.

Minesweeping, too. By the end of the war the Inland Sea was a nightmare of explosives under the surface just waiting for a ship to be foolish enough to set sail. The US and Australians were very free with air-dropped naval mines.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

The effectiveness took a while. They had to develop aggressive tactics and doctrine, weed out non-aggressive skippers, and fix torpedo problems. There was a lot of frustration for a couple of years at the beginning, and by the end presumably a whole bunch of old ideas about what a modern navy could accomplish had been upended.

Also a lot of secrecy, I think it took awhile for what they actually did to get out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We sink another ship off Buna.

Aww, no kill here.

This is getting better!

Oof. Spoke to soon.

We're going through another quiet phase, and I've still not been able to show off my Tojos!
Wait, that sounded less dirty in my head.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I almost feel sorry for the poor buggers.

This is just extermination.

My god they are everywhere!

Something out here has carrier support.

Here come the air strikes. There are five more, but nothing happens bar a few damaged planes.

My Tojo's see action at last!

We sink two more ships. Actual ships this time.

The carriers are on hand, and strike the light carrier, but the flak is murder.

These guys go for an easier target.

We pick off some of their bombers here.

We slam more shells into Buna airfield.

Hmm, that's two US sub attacks in a month!

The superforts hit Saigon.

They have a carrier off Wake.

A nice world spanning day. Shame we didn't get any hits on that carrier!

No points for the landing craft, just a feeling of happyness.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grey Hunter posted:

The superforts hit Saigon.
How are they getting all the way from Burma to the southern end of Vietnam? Is there no air defence to stop them anywhere along the presumed route?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Air defence only works on the target hex.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*flips a giant bird at the allies losing so many ships because god damnit this spreadsheet is yuge*

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Get those raiders back to resupply because the USN is doing the same thing they did before the Iowa /Musashi battle and making the IJN run out of ammo.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*flips a giant bird at the allies losing so many ships because god damnit this spreadsheet is yuge*

I don't think boats need to be tracked the same as ships, unless there's some jokester claiming LCVPs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ponzicar posted:

I don't think boats need to be tracked the same as ships, unless there's some jokester claiming LCVPs.

I'm tracking all ships all ways though.

Also each of those LCVPs is 1 VP

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
So what angry shooty hell ship were those LCVPs acting as shell absorbers/"ablative armor" for?

Grey Hunter posted:

Air defence only works on the target hex.

"Most realistic WWII game", huh? :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't they be attached to an LSD mothership or transport group or something if they're not making a landing? It's not like they can even do ASW.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

21 June 1944

I almost inextricably associate PT boats with the Solomons campaign, but they also saw plenty of service in the Mediterranean, today sinking the German torpedo boat TA-25 (ex-Italian Ardito) near Viareggio. Mines off Normandy claim another ship: destroyer HMS Fury crippled and run aground in a storm. Russian aircraft badly damaged the minesweeper M-538 near Viborg; never repaired.

22 June 1944

British "Chariot" human torpedo sinks the decommissioned Italian cruiser Bolzano (intended by the Germans as a blockship) at La Spezia.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Would minesweepers rigged to set off magnetic mines have any chance at prematurely detonating magnetic fused torpedoes?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Decoy Badger posted:

Would minesweepers rigged to set off magnetic mines have any chance at prematurely detonating magnetic fused torpedoes?

I suppose, except magnetic influence torpedoes sort of didn't work during WWII.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Decoy Badger posted:

Norway prematurely detonated magnetic exploders, so I don't think there's any reason why a minesweeper couldn't in principle. I'm sure there are plenty of potentially confounding factors in practice, though.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

frankenfreak posted:

How are they getting all the way from Burma to the southern end of Vietnam? Is there no air defence to stop them anywhere along the presumed route?

CAP gets assigned to priority targets in the range of defending airbases, depending on how the CAP/LRCAP sliders are set. Fighters in Burma can't intercept since they're too far from the target hex. Not that this is too unrealistic, the Superfortress can fly higher and faster than just about anything Grey has in theater, and the Japanese did not have the elaborate air-defense network that Germany developed.

I read in a supplemental manual that air superiority (a hidden stat over all hexes) can increase operational losses from long range missions flying over those hexes, but if that mechanic does exist it's been intentionally obfuscated like many of the weird rules in the game.

Edit:
Just had this happen. Proof that planes can get intercepted on the way back without being shown.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 23, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

CAP gets assigned to priority targets in the range of defending airbases, depending on how the CAP/LRCAP sliders are set. Fighters in Burma can't intercept since they're too far from the target hex. Not that this is too unrealistic, the Superfortress can fly higher and faster than just about anything Grey has in theater, and the Japanese did not have the elaborate air-defense network that Germany developed.

Did they have the capability? I think the territory Japaan occupied would have just been too large to cover even if they did. Burma alone was bigger than Greater Germany.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1010175700660301824

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Wow, I didn't think that the coast of South America would have seen so much action. Also surprised by the cluster of action along the west coast of Africa, but that's probably Germans trying to keep British colonial resources from coming up towards Great Britain.

Too bad this doesn't have the west coast of the US/Canada and Hawaii.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

Wow, I didn't think that the coast of South America would have seen so much action.

There was a pretty big convoy route for oil from Port of Spain, Trinidad to Rio de Janero.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This one worries me for a moment, as this is the best defended convoy I've seen, but experience wins the day!

They then take out a PT boat.

The two more.

The Japanese version of Das Boot is looking good....

I pay a heavy price, but I get some hits on the light carrier!

The flak from destroyers is murder now. Let alone the larger ships!

The flak continues.

We do get a couple of kills.

Yeah, the American subs are back in action.

Something happens in Burma – still only planes, but it's something.

Owch, that was a lot of flak.

Boom, it was worth it though!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What happened with I-5? It fired a torpedo, and then ran at the convoy balls out with its 3 inch gun?:psyduck:

It's too bad it sank, that Captain would've been perfect TF leader for the raiders.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

No, I will not be labeling/dating all of these. :colbert:

23 June 1944

Mines claim yet another ship off Normandy as anti-aircraft cruiser HMS Scylla is a constructive total loss after massive shock damage irreparably warps her hull members.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

No, I will not be labeling/dating all of these. :colbert:
Wuss

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

7 bomb hits on a CVL should be pretty serious. And at that range they are the 500kg bombs right?

I think I asked this before and I dont remember if anyone answered, but does the game actually put George HW Bush on the San Jacinto or is it just random names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Lakedaimon posted:

7 bomb hits on a CVL should be pretty serious. And at that range they are the 500kg bombs right?

I think I asked this before and I dont remember if anyone answered, but does the game actually put George HW Bush on the San Jacinto or is it just random names?

no matter what else happens if grey manages to send Bush I down into davy jones locker this becomes the better timeline