Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nah, laws are basically suggestions and inapplicable up the executive branch for the past 20ish years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just funny to think that the republicans will be forced to either enforce the law that their people (the post civil war dixiecrats) pushed to pass so they could start up the jim crow era against Trump or they'll have to just ignore it like they do everything else.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In America, can you write a hiring contract that the terms, that it can be changed at any times, without notice to whoever signs it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s called at will employment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Turtlicious posted:

In America, can you write a hiring contract that the terms, that it can be changed at any times, without notice to whoever signs it?

Yeah. Can’t change anything retroactively, but generally speaking employment contracts can be changed prospectively without advance notice. They, of course, still have to at least tell you what the change is when it’s implemented, but in a number of states it is perfectly legal for your boss to say “starting now you make $3/hr less” and as long as that doesn’t drop you below minimum wage. Your only recourse is suing your employer. Even still, it’s just a contract dispute and the way states approach it ranges from “gently caress you” to “we might hold your employer to the contract wage.”

Edit: also as to my PC question earlier, they’ll just be using excess military facilities and ICE/HHS will be administering everything. No military bodies will go towards detention other than standard gate guards and such. That clears up any PC problems.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

That’s called at will employment.

I thought this was a joke at first but it's correct and no further analysis is needed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus that's depressing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven’t seen the specific details of the EO (no one has) but I saw something that said they were going to use the military to house entire migrant families instead of separating them.

That runs afoul the Posse Comitatus Act, doesn’t it?

I wouldn't want to be the judge that gets that case.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

jesus that's depressing.

Note that if you actually have an employment contract, the analysis changes. If they put in a clause that says may be altered by employer in anyway at anytime for any reason without notice, then it's probably not actually a contract and at will.employment would govern.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I mean it’s just “this is what we will pay you until we change our mind” document

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

Yeah I mean it’s just “this is what we will pay you until we change our mind” document

I have a contract with a supplier to provide me with office supplies at an agreed-upon rate

But I also included the words "other duties as assigned" so now he's basically my slave

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah. Can’t change anything retroactively, but generally speaking employment contracts can be changed prospectively without advance notice. They, of course, still have to at least tell you what the change is when it’s im

Depends on the state. In several states continued employment is not sufficient consideration to support an invention assignment or confidentiality agreement.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so like legally, what's the best state for worker's rights?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Devor posted:

I have a contract with a supplier to provide me with office supplies at an agreed-upon rate

But I also included the words "other duties as assigned" so now he's basically my slave

Supplier contract is governed under UCC and there’s robust protections for both buyers and sellers in there because we care about businesses as a country and don’t give a gently caress about labor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Turtlicious posted:

so like legally, what's the best state for worker's rights?

Depends on your specific preferences, but California or New York would be good choices all around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

Depends on the state. In several states continued employment is not sufficient consideration to support an invention assignment or confidentiality agreement.

That’s why i said it ranges state by state from “gently caress you” to “maybe we’ll enforce the contract.”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Supplier contract is governed under UCC and there’s robust protections for both buyers and sellers in there because we care about businesses as a country and don’t give a gently caress about labor.

What if I'm located in Louisiana? Does it matter if I'm speaking French, or just dressed up like Napoleon?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We’re being real loose with the use of “contract” here.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think in louisiana your employer can legally harvest your organs if you die while on the clock.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you have an employment contract it’s enforceable.

Enforceability is tied into the definition of contract.

You may have a document with employment terms on it. Not a contact.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Javid posted:

I think in louisiana your employer can legally harvest your organs if you die while on the clock.

I think you'll find that the Napoleonic code made no reference to organs, so technically they're going to be harvesting the "humors vitrieuse" aka ghosts that live in your blood

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait so the piece of paper you sign when you get hired isn't always a contract?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Wait so the piece of paper you sign when you get hired isn't a contract?

It depends !!!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Turtlicious posted:

Wait so the piece of paper you sign when you get hired isn't always a contract?

Probably you acknowledging that it explicitly isn't a contract and you and your employer both acknowledge you're in an at-will-employment situation

And that you have received a copy of the employee handbook so they can refuse your unemployment claim later

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait why do they have to give you a handbook?

e: Is this too many questions?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The handbook is good hr generally but hey also need to to deny your unemployment benefits when they fire you for violating some policy

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Turtlicious posted:

wait why do they have to give you a handbook?

e: Is this too many questions?

To show, e.g. that they have a policy against being drunk at work

So that when you show up drunk, they fire you and don't have to pay unemployment

And to show that they have a policy about not allowing sexual harrassment, and how to report it, so that when they get sued over it they can point at the handbook and say you didn't report it to the right person

Other stuff to protect the company's interest

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right but even if they don't give you a handbook you can't just walk in drunk and high and stuff right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

right but even if they don't give you a handbook you can't just walk in drunk and high and stuff right?

You can sure. Lots of people do with no problems.

But if they fire you you can probably get unemployment easier. It would be harder to deny .

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I going to need a labor law attorney to get my unemployment because I quit? I feel like I quit due to undue hardship. I gave my employer a text and verbal request for my paystubs in January, and he's refused to give them to me so I quit. I feel like I'm gonna need an attorney to file a complaint with the department of labor.

e: and how do you pay that attorney? I just quit my job.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You pay an attorney with money

Although the model ethics code allows in kind barters for legal services

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The handbook might say stuff like, "only use the conveyor belt after all warning lights have been turned on for 10 seconds." so that if someone gets their arm chopped off and sues the company, the company can say, "our policies are safe, and he only got his arm chopped off because he didn't follow company policy, therefore not our fault."

The handbook might say, "if you come into work unclean and smelling like a dumpster, we can fire you." so that if you get fired later, they have something to relate back to the firing decision so they can tell the Labor Department, "yeah, we're not paying for his unemployment because we fired him for a specific reason, therefore he doesn't qualify for unemployment."

The handbook might say, "don't make Iced Tea with the same pot you used to make coffee because then the tea will taste funky." so that the iced tea won't taste funky.

The handbook might say, "We can fire you at any time for any reason." because its true.

All of these things can be in the same handbook.

An "Employment Contract" will generally include several of these things, that won't otherwise be in a handbook:
- A clause that says the employee can only be fired "for cause"
- An initial length of time for the employment
- An amount of money the employer will give the employee if he is fired, without cause.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 20, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Generally, applying for unemployment makes you say why you were terminated/left, which means you get an opportunity to state the reasons you should be entitled to unemployment. There is also usually an appeal process if you are denied unemployment, initially.

It doesn't hurt for you to research the process as best you can, and also to do a free consult with a labor/employment law attorney before deciding how to proceed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks. That's kind of what I was expecting, i filled out some forms on some websites so hopefully someone will get back to me.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Turtlicious posted:

If you job is covered by osha or other work place laws, probably can’t show up drunk/high. If it’s a government or federal job, probably can’t show up drunk/high, this may be against the law

If you work in a private office doing whatever, probably not against the law, might be accepted to a certain degree (like as a lawyer)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Were you not paid at all, or were you paid but via a wad of cash with no accounting for hours or something? (WRT the "asking for paystubs" comment)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got a woman unemployment when she was fired for being drunk on the job by showing that her boss was also drunk all the time and gave her drinks .

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Javid posted:

Were you not paid at all, or were you paid but via a wad of cash with no accounting for hours or something? (WRT the "asking for paystubs" comment)

wads of cash, and company checks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just checked my google voice voicemail, I filed a form last night, and I have already received 5 calls from different attorneys about my case. I might have a good one then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I just checked my google voice voicemail, I filed a form last night, and I have already received 5 calls from different attorneys about my case. I might have a good one then?

Attorneys that do that kind of work have automatic systems to call back anyone who submits a request. You won't know the value of your claim until you have a consult. Pick one thats free and go.