Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
technically it was the breast forms themselves and an unfortunate case of carpet beetles that we still haven't managed to eradicate despite valiant efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

technically it was the breast forms themselves and an unfortunate case of carpet beetles that we still haven't managed to eradicate despite valiant efforts

Wow, you have given me some serious nightmare fuel

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jit bull transpile posted:

I accidentally hit my breast form with the back of a hammer once
Ok, how does this even happen?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well I can think of a few times where you can spew a tide of beetles from your bosom would be a really useful ability

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wow, you have given me some serious nightmare fuel

condolences.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

that actually sounds fuckin sick

The summoning beetles thing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

a mutual friend of ours (you probably know who) has boob forms for this exact reason, mostly so that on days where they feel feminine they can put them on and on days where they don't they don't

(at least until that particular piece of clothing fell apart, whoops)

other than that yeah same w/r/t the impossible to make it up and no time or drive to try new things. i feel a lot like the stereotypical "girl on the internet, guy in real life" thing because it's too much effort and brain energy to do anything else

without knowing much about your situation I will say that there is always time, but drive and effort are hard to will, it's tough to do much of anything when depressed

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Poniard posted:

that actually sounds fuckin sick

The summoning beetles thing

just get an mp3 player and some portable speakers, no bugs required

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

OldAlias posted:

without knowing much about your situation I will say that there is always time, but drive and effort are hard to will, it's tough to do much of anything when depressed

yeah. i'm working on the depression thing at least! progress

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

Ok, how does this even happen?

I was removing the ballcock from a really rusted together toilet and I got too enthusiastic with my swings. Yes I'm a lesbian, why do you ask?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I was removing the ballcock from a really rusted together toilet and I got too enthusiastic with my swings.
That goes above and beyond my weirdest theory.

I have never in my life heard of anyone fixing the terlet with a claw hammer.

quote:

Yes I'm a lesbian, why do you ask?
Oh, I'm asking everyone because there's a double-parked Uhaul outside that's about to get towed.

And I'm sure that this time it isn't mine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

That goes above and beyond my weirdest theory.

I have never in my life heard of anyone fixing the terlet with a claw hammer.

I only had a regular hammer and I needed to hit the wrench with something because of the rust.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Well at least it saved you some titty trauma.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Peeny Cheez posted:

titty trauma.

Mods

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Zamujasa posted:

just get an mp3 player and some portable speakers, no bugs required

Now I can't get the idea of building inductive speakers into breast forms out of my head. Boobs could officially be rockin'

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
add a headphone jack so you can plug your cans into your cans

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Captain Capacitor posted:

Now I can't get the idea of building inductive speakers into breast forms out of my head. Boobs could officially be rockin'

i've been halfway tempted to jerry rig some bluetooth speakers into a bra I have lying around for this exact purpose

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Casual Encountess posted:

i've been halfway tempted to jerry rig some bluetooth speakers into a bra I have lying around for this exact purpose

More mass means more bass, just sayin'.

Also, on a more serious note...has anyone else Bi (and possibly Canadian) had to deal with the incorrigible shame? Like those feelings coming from someone dealing with a far more complex journey (especially in the states) I could understand but I never once experienced any homophobia in my family or, to my recollection, my social group growing up. Yet I am having so much trouble admitting and integrating the idea right now. I've been invited to LGBTQregex events at work (because MS loves regex people) and I feel...undeserving? Does that make sense?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I’m gay and like to touch computers is yospos the place for me

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Also, on a more serious note...has anyone else Bi (and possibly Canadian) had to deal with the incorrigible shame? Like those feelings coming from someone dealing with a far more complex journey (especially in the states) I could understand but I never once experienced any homophobia in my family or, to my recollection, my social group growing up. Yet I am having so much trouble admitting and integrating the idea right now. I've been invited to LGBTQregex events at work (because MS loves regex people) and I feel...undeserving? Does that make sense?

So stop me if I'm coming from the wrong place here but lemme take a leap and see if I have this right. You've got kind of an impostor syndrome thing going wrt your sexuality, where because you're shifting it up after so long combined with you expecting it to be a harsher journey it feels like it might be wrong somehow? Or like you might have said something too soon and now you kinda wish you could undo it or you panic a little and think "oh god what if I was wrong but now I have to keep this up and save face" and it's given you a sort of paranoia that you'll be found out or unveiled like the end of a Scooby Doo episode?

because this is how I feel way more constantly than I should admit about my gender fluidity, especially since I haven't told everyone yet, and I wonder if it's kinda the same thing for a different cause

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

More mass means more bass, just sayin'.

i'm bi and canadian, and frequently feel the same way

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

So stop me if I'm coming from the wrong place here but lemme take a leap and see if I have this right. You've got kind of an impostor syndrome thing going wrt your sexuality, where because you're shifting it up after so long combined with you expecting it to be a harsher journey it feels like it might be wrong somehow? Or like you might have said something too soon and now you kinda wish you could undo it or you panic a little and think "oh god what if I was wrong but now I have to keep this up and save face" and it's given you a sort of paranoia that you'll be found out or unveiled like the end of a Scooby Doo episode?

because this is how I feel way more constantly than I should admit about my gender fluidity, especially since I haven't told everyone yet, and I wonder if it's kinda the same thing for a different cause

I definitely feel like this a bunch, part of it is the disparity between how I present at work and how I do out of work I think? I'm not out at work yet and since I still pass as a man I guess it bugs me that I can go stealth so easily.

I'm planning on coming out to hr soon, it's an issue for me when I can't dress the way I want and I need to fix it

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'm bi and canadian, and frequently feel the same way
Dude, stop fooling yourself. Canadians don't actually exist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Canadian Geese, on the other hand, unfortunately do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Canadian geese should be exterminated

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

END ME SCOOB posted:

This.

The fact that you guessed so accurately is reassuring because it means it isn't just me. Not that it's not terrible going through it...

Captain Capacitor fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 20, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bi visibility and erasure are real problems. I see how it might feel weird if you’re cis and have otherwise been in hetero relationships so far, but your identity is still valid!

one thing that irks me tho is people intentionally co-opting queer status to be a minority with no downsides, who otherwise have nothing to do with the community. this isn’t you though. and i shouldn’t concern myself with them as gaytekeeping is lovely...their identities are also valid, if that’s how they feel inside, and they never need to act on it for it to be true

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

OldAlias posted:

bi visibility and erasure are real problems. I see how it might feel weird if you’re cis and have otherwise been in hetero relationships so far, but your identity is still valid!

one thing that irks me tho is people intentionally co-opting queer status to be a minority with no downsides, who otherwise have nothing to do with the community. this isn’t you though. and i shouldn’t concern myself with them as gaytekeeping is lovely...their identities are also valid, if that’s how they feel inside, and they never need to act on it for it to be true

Is this an "I'm mad at asexuals" thing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's ok to not be the one who has the absolute worst, and there will always be one. Be a good person. Help if you can. Bi peeps are sometimes easily dismissed but I can tell you the struggle just as real.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

thats the land I occupy currently.

I have the luxury of passing for a white cis male if I put a little effort into it and i tend to use that face in professional environments. the last time I tussled with gaytekeepers they were pissed about that. my personal life is queer as gently caress and I'm fine with that but its not something I'm comfortable with as I start trying to build a career. I have no problems exploiting white privilege because I have plenty of times where I've outed myself and my treatment drastically worsened immediately.

what's really kind of funny to me is I work in a gender studies department and I kept getting into tussles with these two grad students all semester who were loving furious about my disregard for labels. a large frustration I have with the local queer femme culture is this focus on being "soft" and if i'm not following a soft femme aesthetic i'm not really being feminine. the pair in question would grill me incessantly about it and it drove me nuts. i'd love to find a queer street hockey league or something because I feel like that's way more my thing.

i really resent people expecting others to perform in certain ways in order to gain access. my girlfriend (who is afab) performs regularly as drag queen and the drag community here is similarly kind of lovely because she's a woman portraying a different woman rather than being a king. and that kind of sucks. we are both v secure in our identities and who we are we just are trying to find a community of people that aren't lovely.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
can also confirm that "queer impostor syndrome" is 100% a thing

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

on the plus side I attribute this strength of identity to turning 30 and spending the past two years deleting anybody out of my life who isn't supportive of who I am completely, and while I realize that's not always possible, realizing that I needed to excise toxic people was really life changing.

what lit a fire under my rear end was I was supposed to be leaving for africa to join the peace corps last summer but that fell through (thanks trump), but leading up to that I was closing out all my relationships. When I got the no-go I only reached back out to people that were worth my time and supported me and that is what really got me to believe in myself.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Meat Beat Agent posted:

i argued myself out of even talking to a therapist about my gender issues because it would just be me being an impostor in order to idk, avoid the psychological cost of being a man in our society, for like, a year rather than admit i was trans and my identity could possibly be valid

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Casual Encountess posted:

my disregard for labels

i remember stumbling across a term a while back that was basically a label for "I don't believe in labels and don't want them assigned to me about my sexuality / gender / whatever." seemed like the work of some passive-aggressive psychologist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meat Beat Agent posted:

growing up i had the weird inverse of this, in that i came out as gay waaay back in 8th grade, then spent all of highschool regretting that because oh hey turns out girls give me boners too but if i admitted that it would "cheapen" my identity as The Gay Kid or something

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

This.

The fact that you guessed so accurately is reassuring because it means it isn't just me. Not that it's not terrible going through it...

Yeah, entirely sucks in the heat of it.

I also wonder if there's not just some added layer of social/psychological pressure if you're coming out as... I don't want to say "nonbinary" but it feels accurate here, your bisexual, your genderqueer/genderfluid, something that doesn't boil down to "I am/like X now, hard stop" because you sort of expect people are going to start giving you more guff over showing a preference or not being "even" with your presentation/partners/etc.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

keyboard vomit posted:

Is this an "I'm mad at asexuals" thing

??? no not at all. was just remembering some lovely and uneducated people who couldn’t grok intersectionality

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

ate all the Oreos posted:

i remember stumbling across a term a while back that was basically a label for "I don't believe in labels and don't want them assigned to me about my sexuality / gender / whatever." seemed like the work of some passive-aggressive psychologist

yeah thats why i just use the most general term possible I don't want anything loaded with meaning that I don't concoct myself

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

OldAlias posted:

??? no not at all. was just remembering some lovely and uneducated people who couldn’t grok intersectionality

That wasn't meant to be hostile, I just have had an annoying amount of conversations with people trying to tell me that ace isn't a queer thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

its pansexual I have opinions about