Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ugleb posted:

Kings of War? Or latter day WFB?

99% sure that's Hordes of the Things.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have no issue with people playing Kings of War like that at home or in private clubs. It seems like a great way to encourage people to try out the rules while using what they have lying around. It has no place in organized play though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have no issue with people playing Kings of War like that at home or in private clubs. It seems like a great way to encourage people to try out the rules while using what they have lying around. It has no place in organized play though.

You're boring

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Atlas Hugged posted:

A friend and I have been kicking around the idea of just pushing around squares of paper with unit stats on them since we both have The Poor. I wouldn't expect to play that in public but when playing with friends gently caress it why not?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Len posted:

A friend and I have been kicking around the idea of just pushing around squares of paper with unit stats on them since we both have The Poor. I wouldn't expect to play that in public but when playing with friends gently caress it why not?

That's how my roommate and I have been playing Hail Caesar for the last 2 weeks. Still waiting on some laser cut bases to show up in the mail, so right now it's cut out squares with a single model on top to represent what type of equipment the troops are carrying.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I've been using reaper figures for the Lord of the Rings Strategy game, because they're a lot cheaper and F giving GW money.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Googley-eyed giantesses have infiltrated our tank!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

after skimming over a youtube battle report of aos 2.0, it still looks like a pile of dumb poo poo to me :shrug:

wait

they only just released AoS are they doing a new edition already

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

I just realized I missed an opportunity to title that battlefield_V.jpg

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait

It's the game they should've released from the start

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait

gw are constantly releasing rules and errata and faqs in a never ending cycle to milk the most money possible out of hams

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait

To be fair, edition 1 of AoS was kind of a fustercluck, and the general's handbooks made it playable.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moose-Alini posted:

Their Confederate States of America tank with 4 federal union and 2 traitor south tank kills

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Len posted:

I knew one guy at a local games club who used to do this when trying out new army lists so he could get a feel for the army before going out and buying a ton of models for it. Seems fine to me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Zark the Damned posted:

I knew one guy at a local games club who used to do this when trying out new army lists so he could get a feel for the army before going out and buying a ton of models for it. Seems fine to me.

Yeah I see no issue in people proxying stuff to find out if it's worth spending money on. So long as you aren't doing it competitively.

Frankly if someone went to the trouble of organising an event and everyone else has spent time and money to get to it, then everyone involved should put in a basic amount of effort into not letting everyone else down. Like turning up with actual assembled minis that represent what they are meant to be.

I might actually be happy to play that minions army if it were well presented. Part of me respects their commitment to finding enough models to pull it off!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Foolster41 posted:

F giving GW money.

This mentality is loving dumb.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Foolster41 posted:

I've been using reaper figures for the Lord of the Rings Strategy game, because they're a lot cheaper and F giving GW money.

You are so edgy and cool. I would like to be your friend.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Two Beans posted:

So is the mentality that overpays by a factor of 3 for any given product. Voting with your wallet is a time-honored capitalist tradition.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Two Beans posted:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You are so edgy and cool. I would like to be your friend.

lol oh no someone who doesn't like daddy geedubs

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugleb posted:

Yeah I see no issue in people proxying stuff to find out if it's worth spending money on. So long as you aren't doing it competitively.

Frankly if someone went to the trouble of organising an event and everyone else has spent time and money to get to it, then everyone involved should put in a basic amount of effort into not letting everyone else down. Like turning up with actual assembled minis that represent what they are meant to be.

See I’d agree with this but somehow basic hygiene is ignored for an event people travel for and spend the whole day doing. I think having a toy army but bathing is less of a social faux pas.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ilor posted:

So is the mentality that overpays by a factor of 3 for any given product. Voting with your wallet is a time-honored capitalist tradition.

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol oh no someone who doesn't like daddy geedubs

Yeah, you're right. Never pay for products you use. Support nothing. Mega.com pdfs and Chinese recasters will keep this hobby afloat.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Two Beans posted:

Yeah, you're right. Never pay for products you use. Support nothing. Mega.com pdfs and Chinese recasters will keep this hobby afloat.

if u don't give daddy geedubs all ur money how will he feed his precious childeren abloo abloo abloo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Two Beans posted:

You know arguing is what they want you to do, right?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cat Face Joe posted:

if u don't give daddy geedubs all ur money how will he feed his precious childeren abloo abloo abloo

Go back to 4chan with your poo poo posts.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

You know arguing is what they want you to do, right?

yeah you're right, using reaper minis to play a friendly game will be the death of the industry

Two Beans posted:

Go back to 4chan with your poo poo posts.

sorry didn't mean to offend, dabbing megaman

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Two Beans posted:

I'm curious; do you think that children making a gun with their fingers to play cops and robbers are taking money out of the pocket of toy gun manufacturers?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Two Beans posted:

I'm not saying "support nothing." I'm saying "support a product you think gives sufficient value for the money." I have no problem buying Perry Miniatures or Warlord/Italeri model tank kits, for instance. But I can get like 38 Perry dudes for $25. That's demonstrably more bang for my gaming buck than spending $45 on a single 40K "hero" character. I'm even cool with spending roughly $10 per mini for Infinity figs because they go together like a dream, they're fun to paint, and I need so few of them to actually play the game. But even there, I'm cool if people want to proxy.

But you can spend your money however you want. :shrug:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
dear god in heaven, doesn't anyone have a peeing miniature or something to end this derail of incredibly stupid posts?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
but gwz honor has been besmirched and it must be defended! anything less would be a shamefur display

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

I'm not saying "support nothing." I'm saying "support a product you think gives sufficient value for the money." I have no problem buying Perry Miniatures or Warlord/Italeri model tank kits, for instance. But I can get like 38 Perry dudes for $25. That's demonstrably more bang for my gaming buck than spending $45 on a single 40K "hero" character. I'm even cool with spending roughly $10 per mini for Infinity figs because they go together like a dream, they're fun to paint, and I need so few of them to actually play the game. But even there, I'm cool if people want to proxy.

But you can spend your money however you want. :shrug:

GW players are often unaware that other games exist :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish and Chimps posted:

GW players are often unaware that other games exist :ssh:

You mean that Monopoly is a game?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fish and Chimps posted:

Players of other games often don't exist :ssh:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Holy crap did my one post cause a derail. From other posts, I thought "don't give GW money" wasn't even that edgy/controversial a statement, considering their overpriced miniatures and bad business practices. But, OK.

To be clear: I'm using proxy miniatures for friendly games (non-tournament) for a game that's about 20 years old now, that I didn't think was even supported any more (looking on the website, they do still sell LotR SBG stuff it looks like, but i sure haven't seen much of it in shops, being played).

I'm perfectly fine with buying into games I play, for example i got the star wars legion starter set recently, though I waited on getting upgrades and just used empty bases as proxies to get a full 800 pt. army, and to try out the expansions before I get them.

E: For getting back on topic, these are pretty cool.

I'm the guy vaping his ancestor's ghost.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 20, 2018

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

but gwz honor has been besmirched and it must be defended! anything less would be a shamefur display

M'leady

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foolster41 posted:

I'm the guy vaping his ancestor's ghost.

I can't find the anime now, but there's some highly stylized anime that has a line like. "There's no problem that can't be solved by smoking the ashes of a professor of ancient evil text." Somebody had it as an av on the forum awhile ago.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That's from a pilot for The Amazing Screw-on Head, and it's about as Western as you can get. They never made a full series out of it, and that's a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Female proxy for this guy spotted

mildly/borderline :nws: https://shop.celestialgame.com/products/jingwei

This line would actually be pretty cool if it weren't 2/3s pinup style models.