Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

simplefish posted:

That footage is going to get mysteriously and very unfortunately deleted irrecoverably in the process of trying to send it to you, because you are making noises about going to the police (which yeah you have to do). But with footage there's liability for the school and the guard, and without it it's your word agains theirs over who lost the passport

Seriously, I don't care about the liablilty. I don't care whose fault it is. I just want my passport.

Now I probably hosed myself in teh arse by, when yelling at the security cam guy, I accidentally let slip amongst the yelling "This is YOUR fault! You stole my passport!" Both of which he was angry about, as related to me by the friendly foreigner wrangler/admin at the school. So they may do as you say.

But either way, with the police report, I have done the right thing, and the legal thing, and even though it will be an expensive clusterfuck, I should be able to get everything settled by the start of teh new semester. ... Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fortunately, as a foreigner you are automatically at fault.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

BrigadierSensible posted:

But either way, with the police report, I have done the right thing, and the legal thing, and....

Lol, you're not in central europe.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

lol I know the voice actor who did the voiceover for that

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

But either way, with the police report, I have done the right thing, and the legal thing

... and it won't do you any good.

China.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Holy poo poo, I can't wait to see the insane parking shenanigans resulting.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
HK people, is having mainland insurance common at all there or am I right in thinking that “you have to have insurance from three places to drive across this bridge” is a really weird requirement for a bridge?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

HK people, is having mainland insurance common at all there or am I right in thinking that “you have to have insurance from three places to drive across this bridge” is a really weird requirement for a bridge?

Yeah I mean it's weird, the weirdest part is for insurance over the bridge. You'd think it'd be like taking a car ferry anywhere else - the bridge company would take out a policy for any driver on it and roll it into the toll/fare. The whole "its mainland waters!!!1!!1 is bizzare too but if there's something the ccp is going to get a stick up its arse about, it'll be maritime jurisdiction. For the macau car park, if it's all private land then drivers shouldn't need Macau insurance, but didn't that video say they just needed the Car Park ID sticker? Which yeah that's normal here to sign up to a car park membership in HK and havr to display a sticker

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

simplefish posted:

lol I know the voice actor who did the voiceover for that

I can fake a posh colonial accent, set me up with a sweet government job

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Passport shenanigans conclusion:

They found it! Somewhere in teh Guards room. I am loathe to ask too many questions. When they had me up in the office "reviewing the footage", after about 20 minutes, the securioty guard shadowing me gets a phone call. tells me to wait and he nips down to the gate, fiddles about a bit for 5 mins and returns with my passport!

All it took was some yelling and threatening to go to the police.

I guess that is China for you, all it takes is one misplaced envelope, and adventure awaits.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah mate you aren’t getting it back :sigh:

Just get even at some point.

EDIT: holy poo poo!

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
hahaha

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Lets conjecture what use the guard could have for an aus passport.

I think he liked looking at ur picture in bed, imagining the places youve travelled as he goes through your port of entry stamps, and cranking his hog all the while.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Incredible.

quote:

Fears parts of world's longest sea bridge are floating away

Construction of 55km bridge connecting Hong Kong, Macau and China involves building artificial islands, parts of which seem to be coming unstuck

Authorities overseeing construction of the world’s longest sea bridge are working to allay concerns that parts of the massive structure are starting to drift away in the sea.

Construction of the 55km bridge connecting Hong Kong, Macau, and mainland China involves the building of artificial islands, new roads, and an undersea tunnel. Photos taken earlier this month showed a jagged shoreline around one of the islands as wave-absorbing concrete blocks appeared separated from the protective barrier and partly submerged.

The photos have prompted concern about the structural integrity of the island, built by a Chinese contractor, which connects the bridge to an undersea tunnel. Hong Kong’s highway department sent its director of highways to the mainland city of Zhuhai to meet project officials, and has said it would monitor the works of the bridge to ensure “quality meets the relevant requirements”.

In response to the release of the photos, officials at the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge Authority in Zhuhai said the placement of the blocks was by design.

“We have our ways to do it, and you [Hong Kong] may have your ways to do it. You seem to presume that part of the structure had sunk … but it has been designed as such. We do not think there is any problem with that. There are rules and standards for us to follow,” said the authority’s deputy director Yu Lie, according to the Hong Kong-based paper, the South China Morning Post.

Previously the bridge authority said the blocks, known as “dolosse” were purposely arranged in a “random manner” to alleviate pressure on the undersea tunnel.

The project, now in construction for nine years, has been dogged by delays, lawsuits and budget overruns. The bridge, originally slated to open in 2016, is expected to be operational sometime this year, according to Hong Kong officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/09/fears-parts-of-world-longest-sea-bridge-are-floating-away

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 20, 2018

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Old news, latest scandal is the MTR covering up a bunch of unsafe construction procedures while building the new underground railway stations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The "mainland waters" part is loving hilarious. Also compare that to the ease and convenience of something like the Øresund Bridge, which goes between *gasp* two different countries! https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/prices

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Artificial Island in May 2018
In April 2018, the public and media raised questions over the integrity of the seawalls that protect the artificial islands where the bridge transitions to an undersea tunnel. In footage taken by drone pilots and mariners, the concrete dolosse installed at the edge of the tunnel entrance structures, on the Mainland side of the project, appear to have become dislodged. Some civil engineers suggested that there is an error in design, however the HZMB Authority responded that the tunnels and sea defences were deliberately built in this design, and the safety standards have been thoroughly inspected and approved.[27][28]

Subsequent aerial footage posted online showed a section of the dolosse breakwater completely underwater. Civil engineer So Yiu-kwan told Hong Kong media on 12 April 2018 that the water level at the time these new photos was taken was about 1.74 mPD (metres above the Hong Kong Principal Datum), but the maximum water level could reach 2.7 mPD. He said the dolosse would offer no wave protection if entirely submerged, and further alleged that they had been installed backwards.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong%E2%80%93Zhuhai%E2%80%93Macau_Bridge

People are going to die aren't they?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
great evidence of “there is only one china”

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"authority’s deputy director Yu Lie".
No, you.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
But... but... look at how fast China is building infrastructure! China gets things done!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It's not backwards it's Feng shui

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is 12 Tasks of Asterisk and Obelix.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"We have our ways to do it, and you [Hong Kong] may have your ways to do it. You seem to presume that part of the structure had sunk … but it has been designed as such. We do not think there is any problem with that. There are rules and standards for us to follow,”
"White guys walk like this. Black guys walk like this."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

I can fake a posh colonial accent, set me up with a sweet government job

i mean, i have literally hooked you up with a voice acting gig in the past, so...?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Im at Changi airport (Singapore) right now. All the general stores are the same chain, in their Asian reading sections there are a tonne of books about china and xi and mao. Right in the middle there is a pretty racist looking book titled "can asians think?".

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Short answer is no, which the author backs up by comparing them to jews, who also cant think, as evidenced by them getting run out of palestine 2000 years ago.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goongrats!!!!!! now go work a job lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wow what a video.

So the park and ride is more geared towards cars with dual hk and China license plates. They all get a free pass as far as I know.

But reserving parking spaces? Hah. Honestly the bridge isn’t much faster but if you live on the east end of Hong Kong then driving to the Macau car park might be an option.

But if you have all that money owning a dual license plate car you might as well just take the helicopter over

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

underage at the vape shop posted:

Im at Changi airport (Singapore) right now. All the general stores are the same chain, in their Asian reading sections there are a tonne of books about china and xi and mao. Right in the middle there is a pretty racist looking book titled "can asians think?".

Skip to the last page and spoil it for us

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

tote up a bags posted:

It's just a link to this thread

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tote up a bags posted:

it's just a cartoon flip book spelling out I N S C R U T A B L E

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I left my wallet in a taxi once in like 2009? and got it back the next day from the taxi company office with all the money and poo poo still in it, after getting a friend to call the taxi company right away and say where I'd been picked up and dropped off and when.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

They found it! Somewhere in teh Guards room. I am loathe to ask too many questions. When they had me up in the office "reviewing the footage", after about 20 minutes, the securioty guard shadowing me gets a phone call. tells me to wait and he nips down to the gate, fiddles about a bit for 5 mins and returns with my passport!

All it took was some yelling and threatening to go to the police.

I guess that is China for you, all it takes is one misplaced envelope, and adventure awaits.

Possible it was going to be "leverage" to screw over the foreigner, if this thread's anecdotes are at all reliable.

Also possible: identity theft so they can send some Chinese guy to Australia using your specifics. They already have your info, and how long you're going to be there. This one is more speculation, but given the amount of saturation China is trying to do to Australia, it's a possibility, at least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I left my wallet on the seat of a taxi in polite civilized Victoria BC driven by an "old stock canadian". It was on the seat because my fare was $19 and I only had a $20 bill so I had to take my wallet out to pay via card to give him a nice tip. The moment I shut the door I noticed and shouted for him to wait but he sped off clearly after hearing me.

I called it in and they said I'd have to wait for him to finish his shift and a lot of people accuse drivers of taking their wallets so maybe I'm not even telling the truth, they won't refund any money I allege was in the wallet either. Hours later another driver came and dropped it off, he wanted $10 "for his time". Went inside to get cash, he snapped his arm back when I leaned in to give him the money, just in case I was trying to snatch my wallet back without paying him. Finally, only after examining the bill and chiding me for making him wait for the money, he reluctantly gave me my wallet and added "there wasn't any money in it, so don't say we took your money"

I loving hate uber but yearn for taxi industry death.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I feel bad for cabbies only because I was party to a very drunk girl barfing in his cab. He screamed at me to give him extra money to clean it (lol) and then got in my face telling me to hit him.

Awesome.

I did give him an extra twenty for the barf though. Sorry cabbie.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

PLAN 2020 looking good

China’s new aircraft carrier is in for repairs — and its project manager faces corruption charges

Type 003 carrier is gonna be loving hilarious

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

next up is someone spray painting Taiwan number #1 on the side.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Didn't they buy that piece of poo poo carrier knowing it was a piece of poo poo so they could use it to grind their "carrier operation and construction" skills before making their own? Like I don't think the outcome is supposed to be a good effective carrier, that's to come later.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

simplefish posted:

i mean, i have literally hooked you up with a voice acting gig in the past, so...?

But now I'm greedy and want that sweet sinecure that only comes with working for the civil service. Should I pray more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

But now I'm greedy and want that sweet sinecure that only comes with working for the civil service. Should I pray more?

should pay more, it is the way of Hong Kong

• Locked thread