Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why is Rec Out set to “Tape Copy 1->2?” Was it set that way when plugged into the focusrite? Wouldn’t that be treating Tape 1 as an input on that loop (a feature on some high end Yamahas designed for copying tapes while listening to whatever you wanted) and not the turntable?

Sorry, I took that picture before I had switched it over to Phono/Aux. I didn't have it on Tape Copy 1>2.

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's not how any of this ever worked or is going to work. Volume and EQ adjustments will apply to the speaker outputs, but not to the tape outputs.

Well thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize those controls worked only for the speakers. So really, there is no reason to do what I am doing and I should just use the receiver for something else like hooking up a turntable to speakers somewhere else in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrSargent posted:

Well thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize those controls worked only for the speakers. So really, there is no reason to do what I am doing and I should just use the receiver for something else like hooking up a turntable to speakers somewhere else in the house.

It’s a very nice receiver so definitely do that if you’re not gonna record with it. Don’t just junk it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It’s a very nice receiver so definitely do that if you’re not gonna record with it. Don’t just junk it.

Oh yah I’m definitely going to keep it, it’s in great condition. When you say “record with it”, is there a specific application you are referring to?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Anyone got a recommendation for a free VST I can use to manually tune vocal notes? I'm not the best singer and I have a take that I'm almost happy with, but a couple of things need to be adjusted and the autotune things I've tried aren't getting it.

While I'm at it, any tips for getting nice dreamy backing vocal harmonies that are really hearable but still not too high in the mix? What I've got sounds ok and I've done a lot of EQ and reverb but I'm sure there's more I could be doing.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Paperhouse posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a free VST I can use to manually tune vocal notes? I'm not the best singer and I have a take that I'm almost happy with, but a couple of things need to be adjusted and the autotune things I've tried aren't getting it.

While I'm at it, any tips for getting nice dreamy backing vocal harmonies that are really hearable but still not too high in the mix? What I've got sounds ok and I've done a lot of EQ and reverb but I'm sure there's more I could be doing.

What DAW do you use? Reaper has one built in that’s pretty decent.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JohnnySmitch posted:

What DAW do you use? Reaper has one built in that’s pretty decent.

Ableton also has a stock tuner that I use to tune my guitars all the time.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm using FL Studio. It does have a built in pitch shift thing but I've never been able to work it out and it doesn't look like it does what I need, though I could be wrong

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody here have experience with Cubase? I'm trying to learn how to use the software, but I have some questions regarding MIDI programming.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Most people I think, just post the question old chap...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, here goes:

Is there a way to mass edit MIDI notes on the piano roll to be a uniform velocity and length? I find that when I do a large selection, I can change the length to something like 1.0.0.0, but it doesn't make all notes 1 bar in length. Some notes will get extended past the end of the bar and some will be shorter, depending on the length of the original note.

Also, on the default MIDI percussion, the drum sounds seem very quiet. If I used a sample, the loudness is fine. Is there some kind of documentation on how the default Cubase VSTs function? I'd like to get the volume of the drum kit pieces set up correctly before I start programming drum beats on the track.

I know there's a lot of Cubase tutorials on Youtube, but I'd like to find a document that I can search through when I run into specific things.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In the midi drop down there is a uniform velocity setting. There's also functions for note length and all sorts of stuff in there. As for drums, what velocity are you programming them at? Is it 'real' drum sounds or electronic? 100 is normally a good start point, I rarely go higher than 115.

If you're using Groove Agent for drums adjust the volume of each hit on the 'main' tab for each pad, or use the internal mixer.

The manual and a very handy 'device reference' guide that covers all the VSTs are available off the Steinberg site

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 22, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thank you for your help. Right now I'm just working on electronic sounding drums but I will probably move onto tweaking acoustic drum sounds in the future.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Just posted this in the Synth thread and realized it's probably more appropriate here--appologies for the spam.

Question: I've basically maxed out the inputs on my audio interfaces but find that I don't really have a need to record instruments separately and certainly would prefer to have a more immediate per instrument volume slider in exchange for recording a stereo pair of inputs at a time so trading the multi-input audio interface for a stereo interface w/ a physical mixer seems like the right call (plus I'd pick up the ability to easily do a few sends).

Now that I'm looking at mixers/mixing-boards I'm left wondering if there's some solution to not knowing how many mono/stereo channels you'll ultimately need or some modular option that would allow me to just buy/add mono/stereo channels as my hardware footprint grows. Ideally when hardware jamming I would be able to hear all instruments at once so a patchbay doesn't really solve the lack of channels.

Take something like this Mackie mixer: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-1402vlz4-mixer . Four stereo input pairs, six monos. This would suit me today but if I bought another stereo device I'd need to grab two of the mono channels (and deal w/ having to adjust two faders to adjust the volume for it). It'd be much easier if there were a mixer chassis and I could buy mono/stereo channels to mount into it with each new gear purchase. Does this thing even exist or is there a better or more elegant solution. I'm firmly in the synthdad area here so I have some disposable income but definitely a hobbyist and I don't have Deadmau5 money.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i kinda remember seeing a review last year for something along the lines of what you're talking about--a modular mixer, basically, right? i'll check when i get home and see if i can find out the brand, but i think what you want to do is pretty similar to a setup i've seen/borrowed from, which is basically just having a mixer sending to an interface. i've started doing that when i'm recording scratch tracks, and yeah, it's nice to just jump in and get stuff down and worry about rerouting things for a perfect take later.

edit: this is what i was thinking of, if it helps:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/schertler-arthur-modular-mixer

seems pricey to me, but i don't know if there are cheaper alternatives out there

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 23, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This one's probably cheaper, but I can't speak to quality of the parts and you'd have to solder it together yourself:

https://finegear.net

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the internet about whether I should record acoustic guitar in mono or stereo. I don't own any mics yet, as I am currently planning what I'm going to buy for my home studio.

I understand the various pros and cons I've read, but what I really want to know is: what is the typical thing that's done for a professionally-recorded album? Is it pretty much a given that someone like Conor Oberst would be recording in stereo, and random guy nobody has heard of (like me!) would be recording in mono because he's on a budget? It would be nice if I could just buy one small-diaphragm condenser and then buy a second one later if I decide I don't like the mono sound, but from what I've read about matched pairs it sounds like you shouldn't do that.

If it helps to answer my question, I'm going to be recording songs that are at their core just vocals, guitar, and bass. Some songs might have additional instruments for supporting color and whatnot.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Just some thoughts but it kind of comes down to how you want to put it into the mix. With as few instruments as that I’d lean on stereo micing because you either have one stereo take panned left and right or two stereo takes with one panned left and center and the other center and right. Bass is usually center, vocals center. It means that’s if you want more interest a stereo guitar mix would be a good route to go. Mono I’d say you could get away with but you’d want left and right takes. Mid side is also an option but that one take will take up left right and center.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrSargent posted:

Oh yah I’m definitely going to keep it, it’s in great condition. When you say “record with it”, is there a specific application you are referring to?

The stuff you were trying to do with it/using it to connect a turntable/input device to a computer or tape deck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird BIAS posted:

Just some thoughts but it kind of comes down to how you want to put it into the mix. With as few instruments as that I’d lean on stereo micing because you either have one stereo take panned left and right or two stereo takes with one panned left and center and the other center and right. Bass is usually center, vocals center. It means that’s if you want more interest a stereo guitar mix would be a good route to go. Mono I’d say you could get away with but you’d want left and right takes. Mid side is also an option but that one take will take up left right and center.

You could record in mono and then fake the stereo spread using the HAAS effect :smug:

For real, though, don't do this unless trying it genuinely gives you the sound you want. It's kind of bullshit stereo.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm experiencing an annoying issue which someone here might be able to help with

I use FL Studio and when I select ASIO4ALL as my sound driver, everything sounds great. But my laptop primarily uses a different driver and things sound considerably worse. First question - if I export a song with the ASIO4ALL driver selected, does the song get exported using that? Probably a stupid and vague question. What I mean is, is the song exported as I hear it under that setting? When I listen to a .wav on a media player it sounds different to how it did in FL Studio, but I'm not sure if that's because of the playback of my computer or the file itself. If it's just my computer I could live with it, but if I am exporting songs in a way that makes them sound significantly worse than they could when played on any device, then that's poo poo, and I would like to fix it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I'm experiencing an annoying issue which someone here might be able to help with

I use FL Studio and when I select ASIO4ALL as my sound driver, everything sounds great. But my laptop primarily uses a different driver and things sound considerably worse. First question - if I export a song with the ASIO4ALL driver selected, does the song get exported using that? Probably a stupid and vague question. What I mean is, is the song exported as I hear it under that setting? When I listen to a .wav on a media player it sounds different to how it did in FL Studio, but I'm not sure if that's because of the playback of my computer or the file itself. If it's just my computer I could live with it, but if I am exporting songs in a way that makes them sound significantly worse than they could when played on any device, then that's poo poo, and I would like to fix it

You should be able to select the ASIO4ALL driver as your computer's output device and see if that makes a difference when listening to the .wav. Otherwise I would check the track on other media like your car or some good headphones to see if the issue is just with the sound coming out of the computer. Another thing you could do is just drop the .wav file into FL studio and see if it sounds the same as the actual project.

As for exporting, I am pretty sure it's going to use the driver you have selected in FL Studio.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

MrSargent posted:

You should be able to select the ASIO4ALL driver as your computer's output device and see if that makes a difference when listening to the .wav. Otherwise I would check the track on other media like your car or some good headphones to see if the issue is just with the sound coming out of the computer. Another thing you could do is just drop the .wav file into FL studio and see if it sounds the same as the actual project.

As for exporting, I am pretty sure it's going to use the driver you have selected in FL Studio.

Sorry for being dumb - how can I select ASIO4ALL as my computer's output device? When I select it in FL Studio it actually seems to disable any sound outside of FL Studio, and I haven't been able to locate it in any sound settings that I've looked at.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Sorry for being dumb - how can I select ASIO4ALL as my computer's output device? When I select it in FL Studio it actually seems to disable any sound outside of FL Studio, and I haven't been able to locate it in any sound settings that I've looked at.

Are you using ASIO4ALL to route FL studio through an audio interface? If so, you should be able to just select your interface under Playback devices in Sound settings. I am not using ASIO4ALL, but I run my laptop sound through my Scarlett 18i8 instead of using the internal sound card by just selecting the "Focusrite USB" device under Playback.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Afaik your driver should have zero impact on exported files. But programs taking exclusive control of the sound card is a thing, look for an option in preferences to change that if need be.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I've had a small home studio for a few years now but due to living conditions always had to wear headphones until now. I would like to get a pair of active reference monitors and have a budget of $400 that can stretch to $600 if there are an amazing pair for that $200 more but that's it.

Been looking at the following:
KRK Rokit6
JBL 306
Yamaha HS5
Presonus eris E5
Abantone mixcubes

Also the Mackie CR5BT look interesting as they seem to be able to double as multimedia speakers but for the price I'm a bit weary to trust both that claim and how long they'll last.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Gringostar posted:

I've had a small home studio for a few years now but due to living conditions always had to wear headphones until now. I would like to get a pair of active reference monitors and have a budget of $400 that can stretch to $600 if there are an amazing pair for that $200 more but that's it.

Been looking at the following:
KRK Rokit6
JBL 306
Yamaha HS5
Presonus eris E5
Abantone mixcubes

Also the Mackie CR5BT look interesting as they seem to be able to double as multimedia speakers but for the price I'm a bit weary to trust both that claim and how long they'll last.

I have both the Yamaha HS5's and the Rokit6's. I think the HS5's are have a better flat response where with the Rokits, you can bump the low end up quite a bit. I really don't think you can go wrong with either of those, but I might lean towards the HS5's.

How big is your room and what type of music are you making?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 11, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I like my Eris e5s, they are honest to the point of brutality. There's no overhyped bass- if you want more rumble, you turn the monitors up, not a bass knob. They have a few different room tailoring adjustments that can be made and there is a companion sub if you really need one. TBH the main reason I like them is they DON'T shake the house down unless you crank them.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
It's in a bedroom but one that's not terribly small and looking into your question it looks like the size should be in the 4"-5" range for the space. Also I'll mostly be doing synth and distorted guitars with samples or synth drums.

Doing some more research I've further narrowed them down to the Eris E5, the JBL 305p, and the avantones. Which should be good for an in person test.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam T5v?

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Has anyone had any experience using Ohm studio for recording/collaborating? Is it worth buying the pro version to be able to export projects as wav files? I'm curious because I'm getting the itch to start being creative and recording again, and I'd also like to collaborate with my brother several states away. Since Ohm is cross-platform (he uses Mac, I have PC), and it's relatively cheap, I'm thinking this would be a good way to accomplish this, but not if it's a huge hassle to get working or if the output is crap, or some other thing I hadn't considered.

I do have a Scarlett 6i6 USB that seems to work well, and it came with a version of ProTools First or something like that, but I haven't really messed with it that much yet. I'm sure my PC is beefy enough, and I'm familiar with tweaking things to get them working well, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I don't know Ohm studio, but there are several online browser based DAWs that have collaboration built right in.

I use https://www.soundtrap.com but there are others, like Amped studio, that allow for offline use and VSTs if that's your thing.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I think we're in the market for a new laptop. It will primarily be used for music production (Ableton), video editing (Premiere) and photo editing (Photoshop).

What are the current recommendations? Everything we own is Windows based, and I'm not planning on going Mac unless the specs/performance honestly justify the cost.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

khysanth posted:

I'm not planning on going Mac unless the specs/performance honestly justify the cost.

As a long time Mac user, I can guarantee that this will literally never happen.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As a long time Mac user, I can guarantee that this will literally never happen.

I thought that nowadays, the main reasons for using a Mac are:

1) Personal preference or you have always used a Mac
2) Easily replaceable in a live setup if something goes wrong.

Deadmau5 is the most PC guy there is and he still uses a MacBook Pro for his live setup because they are so easy to replace.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Any laptop brands or specific models you guys would recommend? Not planning on any live shows for quite some time. Just want to get more serious in the home studio.

Currently rocking a Lenovo from 2013 and it is showing its age.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I got a Lenovo Y50 a couple years ago and it has been pretty drat solid running Ableton Live and various VST's. I do run into some issues when my projects start getting particularly big, but I feel like unless you get a desktop computer, bouncing tracks to audio is just going to be part of your process. I have heard really good things about the Razer Blades, but those are definitely going to be more pricey than a Lenovo.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Something that's pretty difficult to google:

what's the name for those VST synth settings where you can hold one note (let's say C) and then press another note (let's say the next C up) and instead of having two separate Cs playing, the note will instead sweep up through from the lower C to the higher C? Hopefully that makes sense. It's a similar sound to play a guitar note and then bend it to a new note. I've come across some presets that do this by accident a few times, and now I'd quite like to utilise this but not sure what to look for or how to manually create the effect in my VST

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 21, 2018

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Paperhouse posted:

Something that's pretty difficult to google:

what's the name for those VST synth settings where you can hold one note (let's say C) and then press another note (let's say the next C up) and instead of having two separate Cs playing, the note will instead sweep up through from the lower C to the higher C? Hopefully that makes sense. It's a similar sound to play a guitar note and then bend it to a new note. I've come across some presets that do this by accident a few times, and now I'd quite like to utilise this but not sure what to look for or how to manually create the effect in my VST

portamento, i think. or that's what it's labeled on my korg synth, anyway

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Yeah, that's portamento, although you'll sometimes see it referred to as "glide" or "legato".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I thought that nowadays, the main reasons for using a Mac are:

1) Personal preference or you have always used a Mac
2) Easily replaceable in a live setup if something goes wrong.

Deadmau5 is the most PC guy there is and he still uses a MacBook Pro for his live setup because they are so easy to replace.

My main reason for having a Mac is that, ten years ago, when I was getting my recording arts diploma, we mainly studied Logic Pro (and Pro Tools), and I fell in love (with Logic).

Shame that it's no longer a PC DAW, but I'm a big fan of Reaper now, so my next rig will likely be a PC.