Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm totally new to motorcycles and am currently saving up money to do the MSF school, get some gear, and a bike. However, I'm not sure if the commonly suggested Ninja 250 and similar are right for me - I'm 6'7" and ~300lbs (probably more, but I'm working on it).

I really like the looks of the KLR650 and V-Strom 650. They seem to be pretty tall bikes plus affordable used. Would something like this be more suited to a big rear end rider without being a newbie murder rocket? I'd like to be able to take it on several-hour highway trips occasionally, but most riding would be within the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
If you get a vstrom 650 buy a front fork brace for it asap, they're loving terrible without them, only like $60 and the difference is very noticeable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, for someone of your size a 650 dual-sport is reasonable to start on. At 6'7" your knees will probably have to fold in half to fit on an EX250 or most other small standards, and your weight is as much as an average sized guy and his girlfriend riding two-up. DRZ400, KLR650, Honda XR650, Suzuki DR650, 650 V-Strom, BMW F650GS if you're into ~BRANDS~, etc.

If you want the best performance, you may want to also consider respringing any bike you buy for your weight, because while the bigger bikes are a little better about carrying heavy loads, almost none of them come from the factory set up for 300+ pounds.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 17, 2018

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I've owned a 2012 Ninja 250 for over a year, and just rented both a CBR 250 and a Ninja 300. It's very interesting to feel the difference in how each behaves.

If you have a chance to rent a motorcycle in Hawaii, it's worth every penny.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm ATGATT in the deep South and it's getting old. Someone recommend me the absolute best in mesh/summer gear. I'll entertain almost any price to get this poo poo feeling light and breezy, it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Mostly talking jackets and pants.

Chiming in to say that Klim jacket is great. I have had one for over a year now. It's great for those 120F days. I heard good things about Rukka too, so I don't think you would go wrong with that either.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi! I passed my MSF today with a pretty high score, I am 300% more confident now and can't wait for Wednesday (takes 48 hours to get it in the computers).

Fellow noobs, AMA if you have questions!

Some quick points:

* bring a helmet, the community ones are gross
* you'll prob do it on a nighthawk, rebel or similar standard 250 bike
* One guy dropped his in practice, this is NOT a disqualifier. Drop is insta fail during the test tho.

It's stressful and intense and long days, but absolutely worth it. I'm going to get a few miles under my belt and then look into an intermediate or the mountain riding class maybe.

10 registered, 9 showed up yesterday, one guy no-showed this morning, one guy wasn't confident all weekend and noped out when they threw the 2x4's down. Of the 7 remaining, 5 passed, the other 2 failed due to too many points racked up for the road test. The written is basically the Colorado permit test and most people aced and everybody passed that bit.

e: 16 points racked up was a fail, I got two points - one for putting my foot down on a tight right turn from a stop, and the other because i braked one foot long on the quick stop.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Hi! I passed my MSF today with a pretty high score, I am 300% more confident now and can't wait for Wednesday (takes 48 hours to get it in the computers).

Pretty sure they say this at the end of every MSF BRC, but congrats - you're now qualified to ride around a parking lot! The BRC is great and gives you the tools you need to be successful on the road. Ease yourself into it and you'll be fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jonny 290 posted:

Fellow noobs, AMA if you have questions!

Some quick points:

* bring a helmet, the community ones are gross
* you'll prob do it on a nighthawk, rebel or similar standard 250 bike
* One guy dropped his in practice, this is NOT a disqualifier. Drop is insta fail during the test tho.

It's stressful and intense and long days, but absolutely worth it. I'm going to get a few miles under my belt and then look into an intermediate or the mountain riding class maybe.

10 registered, 9 showed up yesterday, one guy no-showed this morning, one guy wasn't confident all weekend and noped out when they threw the 2x4's down. Of the 7 remaining, 5 passed, the other 2 failed due to too many points racked up for the road test. The written is basically the Colorado permit test and most people aced and everybody passed that bit.

e: 16 points racked up was a fail, I got two points - one for putting my foot down on a tight right turn from a stop, and the other because i braked one foot long on the quick stop.

gently caress yeah, man, congrats. Holler when you want to see some fun roads.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tagged, M endorsed and on the road

holy poo poo ok i did about six miles today, a lil 2mi around the block and a longer 4mi on some 30-35 streets

here is my raw data log:

-oh my god this is fun
-30 seconds down the road I get a "do a wheelie!" holler from some 12 year olds
-starting to learn that bike engines spin, like really, put away the car brain. I know you're going to laugh but i was shifting around 4k and when i hit 6500 in 2nd i thought i was gonna pee. its so fun
-cruise by a cop at 30mph in 3rd and he didnt even look up, i think this thing is super quiet to others?
-first experience with a blind light sensor for a cycle
-first stall with a bunch of cars behind me on the next cycle but i kept my poo poo together and didnt pop the clutch and we were fine
-oh my god this is fun.

converted

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

-starting to learn that bike engines spin, like really, put away the car brain. I know you're going to laugh but i was shifting around 4k and when i hit 6500 in 2nd i thought i was gonna pee. its so fun

Seconding this. I drive a pretty high-revving car (Fiesta ST), but there was still a period where I was shifting the bike at 3-4k like clockwork. Once I actually took the time to look at the tach on the bike and see that it can go up over 10k, it started to fall into place. That's when I found the engine.

I was going to work last Friday on my bicycle (that's my exercise; can't take the moto every day), and was at a light next to a guy on one of the bigger Indian bikes. I don't know their nomenclature, but it reminded me a lot of a Road King (maybe the Chieftain?). Anyway, thing was brand new and the guy was ATGATTing, which is weird for a cruiser guy. Point is, seemed like a new rider. Light turns green and he goes, he's in third gear before clearing the intersection, moving to fourth immediately after.

Obviously that Indian revs quite a bit lower than the Kawasaki 650, but yeah that guy was totally me last year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Keep in mind redline on a big Harley is 4500 and all the other cetacean cruisers are similar.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's like, doubly hard when your cage is an E39 540 stick and you can literally gently caress around and get in fourth at 30mph and just stay there anywhere between 30 and 45 in town without getting it high in revs, and if you need, you can go 100. And you've been pussyfooting the car lately because you haven't gotten a replacement for that third power steering bolt and you're trying to keep belt speeds low.

I"ll get it. We're parked for the night because i'm just...not overwhelmed, that was just very, very alien to me, and I also felt a raindrop. i suspect i'll be up at like 5:30 AM or something like that tomorrow to go get donuts.

Speaking of which, I need a real backpack now. Something tells me this timbuk2 messenger won't run quite right.

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

Jonny 290 posted:

Speaking of which, I need a real backpack now. Something tells me this timbuk2 messenger won't run quite right.

Yeah my messenger was a pita no matter how tight I made the strap. I went and grabbed a big timbuk2 backpack that could fit my work stuff and it’s been great.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Great job 290! Very helpful to hear your rundown.

I'm looking at taking the course mid or late July. Going to start looking seriously at gear this weekend and next so that I'm prepared for it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jonny 290 posted:

It's like, doubly hard when your cage is an E39 540 stick and you can literally gently caress around and get in fourth at 30mph and just stay there anywhere between 30 and 45 in town without getting it high in revs, and if you need, you can go 100. And you've been pussyfooting the car lately because you haven't gotten a replacement for that third power steering bolt and you're trying to keep belt speeds low.

I"ll get it. We're parked for the night because i'm just...not overwhelmed, that was just very, very alien to me, and I also felt a raindrop. i suspect i'll be up at like 5:30 AM or something like that tomorrow to go get donuts.

Join advrider.com for the for sale section where wilford brimley sells his nice, used stuff for 1/2 off. Folks sell kriega backpacks on there pretty frequently.

Also, welcome. Try bumping the bike off the rev limiter a bit and you'll see why doing 30 in 3rd didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jonny 290 posted:

Tail box is life. Get a rack and a cheap 1500 or 1550 pelican and enjoy supreme utility.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

Tail box is life. Get a rack and a cheap 1500 or 1550 pelican and enjoy supreme utility.

This.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been toying with replacing my frumpy saddle bags with a single pillon bag, but OTOH no oppinion about my bike's appearance matters but mine and I only care sometimes. The very instant I can't fit a loaf of bread or jug of milk I'll be furious.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

If nobody makes a luggage rack specifically for your bike, what are your options?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

If nobody makes a luggage rack specifically for your bike, what are your options?

Which bike is it? I have a hard time believing a bike got left behind in racks.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I know the pregen ninja, of all things, never got side racks from anyone. Your options are soft luggage or self-made.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Day 2!

Two rides, a quick 3mi to throw a few bucks of gas in and stop by the store. Then I remembered that I forgot to bring a backpack, and rode gingerly the 1/2 mile home with a sixpack of Tecate in my jacket. Shh. I learned my lesson.

Then after work, we went out and put about 20 miles on it in relatively steady suburban traffic! I didn't stall at all, had a somewhat tense moment with a left turning U-haul, and got checked out by about 12 mexican guys and 0 mexican girls. It started to get gusty, and I rolled back to the house, five minutes later the skies opened up.

No stalls, wound that sumbitch up to 9k a few times, and even did about a mile down a road that surprised me with heavy construction, ruts, you know when basically the last layer of asphalt isn't laid down yet? That poo poo. Stable and smooth. I love how the bike feels, a whole lot.

Weather sucks now, so we are done for the evening, and i'm having one of those tecs now as i plan my ride for tomorrow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Hey kiddos. Due to recent events I would just like to remind you all that if you wear good boots and other gear, even if you do something dumb like wash out the front wheel at 20 miles an hour and dump the bike in such a way that the shift peg lands directly on your big toe and puts all four hundred pounds straight into it with enough velocity to completely fold the shifter over on itself, you will come away with not even a blackened toenail and can easily ride the bike 60 miles back home so you can hammer the shifter flat again and print some new turn signals while feeling like a dummy.

Wear your gear

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:eyepop: Makes me wonder when's the last time I waxed my Forma Adventure Lows and told them that I love them?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Hey kiddos. Due to recent events I would just like to remind you all that if you wear good boots and other gear, even if you do something dumb like wash out the front wheel at 20 miles an hour and dump the bike in such a way that the shift peg lands directly on your big toe and puts all four hundred pounds straight into it with enough velocity to completely fold the shifter over on itself, you will come away with not even a blackened toenail and can easily ride the bike 60 miles back home so you can hammer the shifter flat again and print some new turn signals while feeling like a dummy.

Wear your gear

Is your dash ok? :ohdear:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Sagebrush posted:

print some new turn signals

we live in the future. :roboluv:

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm finally at a point in my life where I feel like I can handle a motorcycle responsibly and moved to an area that has real back roads and isn't choked by city traffic, so I think it's finally time to get one! I've read every single of page of this thread over the last couple of days and will be looking for and signing up for an MSF.

I wanted to ask about bikes however, as I know the thread recommends 300 CC or so bikes for beginners (I'm 5'9", 200 lbs), but my dad insists (he's been riding for 50+ years) that I should get something like a BMW F 800 GT, but it's got 90 hp which seems like a lot. On the other hand, it has traction control, ABS, and drive by wire so the throttle can be mapped to be more friendly. Does this seem reasonable?

This is the type of motorcycle I'd like since I can get saddlebags for it and go for day trips. Looks like they run ~$7k used, which is well within my budget (and another $1500-2000 for gear).

Get a 500. It'll give you more power and have more to work with.

At least thats what I did.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Speaking of 500's, we're learning!

I just got in after making two hours disappear over 40 miles. I know, not huge, and slow, but we started out with a couple decently heavy traffic cruises up and down some main corridors here, so we could get comfier with traffic, lane changes, yadda yadda. That went well and I didn't want to go home, so I was like...gently caress it, let's see how hairy it is to get to the office. So i cruised over to downtown Denver, and listened to my bike echo off of the skyscrapers, got some waves, gave some waves, and even found a squad of sport bikes that I rolled behind for a few blocks. Got bolder with my weight shifting in corners, and my throttle on the straights. also practiced my "Jesus christ dude, you don't have to shift in the middle of the intersection" gettin' across in first. Much better.

More firsts:

-hit 10krpm woo. almost to redline! It wakes up a fair bit oh, 6k, 6500? Nothing unpleasant just "hey theres your power"
-Encountered some VERY lovely pavement full of bumps, ruts, loose asphalt. Got to practice my 'stand up a bit' over some nasty bumps.
-Got loving MOBBED by bros at a gas station lmao. "Can this beat a yamaha?" "I'll buy it, i have cash, you sellin?" gently caress, this is my life now isn't it. They were nice though, just a lil excited.
-First bug in the face. OW lol

my butt says it's time to rest

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is textbook new rider glee and I love hearing about it. I remember that "ride past the entrance to home ten times because I don't want to stop riding" feeling. I remember it because it still happens 50k+ later!

You gotta put some pelican luggage on the CBx so they stop bugging you about it being fast. And start bugging you about what kind of trips youve done on it.

Every time I've left my visor up even at low speed, I've caught a bug in the eye. Keep that visor down.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Jonny 290 posted:

-First bug in the face. OW lol

Wait until you get a wasp in the jacket and it stings you and you are pounding your chest while riding and oh my god that hurts I hope I don't wreck and die....

:bees:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hey what's that haze... OH gently caress BEE SWARM.

*frantically try to retract neck into torso like a tortoise*

Then there was the time a huge spider crawled out of my fairing and started running around on my controls at 80kph.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Based on the advice in this thread, I started shifting gears when I need to, not when I am able to. Just ride each gear until I hit 8-9krpm on it, then switch. It feels pretty good, I suspect this is what I'm "supposed" to do.

Aside: I have this bag in grey and it owns https://www.dainese.com/us/en/d-exchange-backpack-s/201980052.html

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Modern A2 Licence/LAMS approved 500s are pretty friendly little things. My CB500X I rode it flat out from the driveway and back again, only time it tried to throw me off is when I'd throw it into a corner too hard and the centre stand bottoms out, unloading the rear starting the recipe for a highside. The fuel injection systems on these things allow the manufacturer to give you the torque of a bigger motor but without the top end power to try to kill you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just FYI fuel injection has no bearing on the engine's character in that sense, it's all about the cylinder geometry and cams. You could stick some screaming flatslides on that engine and it'd still be a low revving torque machine.

Harleys existed before efi is what I'm saying.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bio-Hazard posted:

I've owned a 2012 Ninja 250 for over a year, and just rented both a CBR 250 and a Ninja 300. It's very interesting to feel the difference in how each behaves.

If you have a chance to rent a motorcycle in Hawaii, it's worth every penny.

Can you talk more about this? I’m trying to plan a vacation for November and was thinking Hawaii, kind of kicking myself for not thinking about renting bikes while there! Which island were you on? Did you bring your own gear or did you rent that, too? I’m intrigued. :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, last night, we went out about 10, i wanted to ride! And I just was NOT feeling it. Right off the bat I was dumb and underestimated my fuel level and prepaid $5 and could only get $3 in, traffic was heavy, I was missing shifts, pants were too tight after a huge steak dinner, I think this is the "a bunch of small factors add up to be a Bad Time" thing they mentioned in class. So I aborted my ~20 mi plan once I hit downtown Denver and turned home after a couple of miles. I think part of this is knowing when not to ride, and if you're not in the right headspace, it's not going to end well.

Relaxed and got a good night's sleep and woke up at the rear end crack today. rode out to Golden, smelled the Coors plant, saw a bunch of birds. Got a nice 30 mi ride in with a couple gentle twisties along the way, I was totally comfortable (glad I wore jeans and a hoodie under the mesh, wow, that breeze), and even took a main corridor home on the way back and hit 60ish. Feels good man.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

spandexcajun posted:

Wait until you get a wasp in the jacket and it stings you and you are pounding your chest while riding and oh my god that hurts I hope I don't wreck and die....

:bees:

or bee in the helmet because you thought it was a great day to leave your visor raised..

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

pastor of muppets posted:

Can you talk more about this? I’m trying to plan a vacation for November and was thinking Hawaii, kind of kicking myself for not thinking about renting bikes while there! Which island were you on? Did you bring your own gear or did you rent that, too? I’m intrigued. :)

Renting a bike on the big island was about $100/day which is comparable with renting a car. There are lots of roads just above Kona or around Hilo if you're in either of those cities.

Weather is continuously nice. Most people ride with no helmets and in flip flops.

I burned the poo poo out of my calf on the exposed exhaust. It was a nice surprise as I usually am ATGATT but I decided to go with a half-helmet only while renting.

Best biking experience I've had, bar none.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I didn't even think about bike rentals until y'all brought it up; now I'm gonna rent a bike for 2 days when i'm in SF for Fleet Week. There's a shop in town that has a pretty sweet lookin KTM 1090 for a reasonable rate, lots of beemers and so on too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

What is the proper etiquette for the Secret Mororcycle Salute?

Should I not salute squids?
Will the other bikers laugh at me if I wave to a friend in a car?
Do I snub Suzuki drivers out of some biker tribalism that I'm not familiar with?