Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

I could see why she might say that. It was difficult to make things structurally sound back in that era.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

bEatmstrJ posted:

I could see why she might say that. It was difficult to make things structurally sound back in that era.

You're never going to post pictures of the finished bathroom are you?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bEatmstrJ posted:

There haven't been that many changes since the 90's.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Goddamn perfect

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife and I just moved into our first (hopefully last) home.

We both collect figurines; she collects vinyl art toys, I collect dumb nerd action figure poo poo.

We’re looking for ways to display our stuff alongside our books, family photos, art prints and select decorative pieces in a way that says “we’re loving dorks, but we have the minimalist ounce of class.”

Without pictures, I know it’s hard to get an idea, but until I can post something, does anyone else have a similar situation? Any general tips?

As an aside, I really like artificial plants as decorations, and succulents. Am I a bad person?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nanigans posted:

Am I a bad person?
Maybe

Are you trying to display toys in the goddamn original packaging or out of it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"vinyl art toys" are anime figures aren't they

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

As long as they aren't Funko pops. Those are the saddest goddamn things.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hutzpah posted:

Beanie babies for a new generation!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hey guys how do I make my Barbies and GI Joes look classy and cool in the living room?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nanigans posted:

We both collect figurines; she collects vinyl art toys, I collect dumb nerd action figure poo poo.

I really like artificial plants

Am I a bad person?

Magic hate ball says yes.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Nanigans posted:

We’re looking for ways to display our stuff alongside our books, family photos, art prints and select decorative pieces in a way that says “we’re loving dorks, but we have the minimalist ounce of class.”

Without pictures, I know it’s hard to get an idea, but until I can post something, does anyone else have a similar situation? Any general tips?

As an aside, I really like artificial plants as decorations, and succulents. Am I a bad person?

Whats the budget like? Have you considered building shelves on your walls.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The Bloop posted:

Maybe

Are you trying to display toys in the goddamn original packaging or out of it?

Outside.

SpartanIvy posted:

No, stuff like kidrobot.com. My wife is much less of a dork than me. I’m the one with anime and comic and Star Wars poo poo.

Hutzpah posted:

They are terrible, no I don’t have any, but I’m probably no better.

Steakandchips posted:

Hey guys how do I make my Barbies and GI Joes look classy and cool in the living room?

Yes, exactly!

extravadanza posted:

Whats the budget like? Have you considered building shelves on your walls.

Budget is...I dunno. Probably don’t want it to get into the thousands.

We like shelves, yeah. We haven’t put our old ones up yet so we can feel out how we want the place to look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The nice thing about bookshelves is that you can just keep adding more and more bookshelves until your entire house is coated with them.

Seriously though, that'd be the route I'd take. The other nice-looking alternative would be some kind of display case, but I can't imagine that being cheaper.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Action figures go on top of the book shelves and in shadow boxes. Alternatively, they are now Christmas tree ornaments.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The big pro of display cases is that your poo poo doesn't collect dust.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just do what my old roommate did and make your living space a labyrinth of open-sided glass shelves that are stuffed with anime figurines.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Magic hate ball says yes.

:yeah:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nanigans posted:

Maybe it's a bit basic, but I've always been a fan of just having a wall of cubby shelves. The key is vary each cubby so they aren't all fighting for a viewers attention.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How do we feel about kitchen counters? Wood? Stone? Steel? Mix?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I feel like displaying all of a collection rarely looks good unless you’re going for a really overwhelming ‘uhh I guess you bought a lot of that’ reaction. Putting a few of your favorite pieces out (like the picture above) will cut down on the sea of purchases/dust magnet look. Swap out the display pieces every once in a while for a chance to clean and look at something you like with fresh eyes.

It’s tough to look at a small army of little vinyl figurines and appreciate them all- if a shelf has one or two a viewer can actually focus on them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Kitchens should be functional first IMO, which means that the counter surface should be easy to clean first and foremost, and as a second priority, resistant enough to heat that you can set hot dishes directly on it. That said, I don't think I'd want to live in a commercial kitchen, which is what I'd feel like if I had metal counters. Wood is not good at heat resistance, and I don't think I'd want it immediately around the sink area anyway. So I'd tend to favor stone (synthetic or otherwise), or possibly tile if there's an arrangement that doesn't have a bunch of little gaps that are irritating to wipe clean.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaded Burnout posted:

What does the rest of your kitchen look like? Rustic? Modern? What colors will your countertop be competing with?
What function does your kitchen have? Do you cook from scratch a lot? Is the kitchen part of an "open plan" (that is, on display all the time)?
How big is your countertop surface (is the counter surface finish going to be the biggest empty space in your kitchen, or a bunch of tiny little surfaces all separate)?

Pick countertops that you can keep clean, that look nice with the rest of your kitchen, that function well for your lifestyle. I'm a fan of butcher block, but I live in a Craftsman house (lots of wood elements, not minimal at all) and I cook a lot (can use countertops as food prep surface). Soapstone is also nice, but it tends to be dark (not great in a small, tight kitchen) and can chip easily (although that can be charming - well used is often nicer looking than pristine).

I don't care for tile. Things get stuck in the cracks, looks dirty no matter what you do. Some granites can be lovely, but others are highly "decorative" - contrasty veins, shiny finishes, which will add visual clutter if your kitchen has any degree of clutter. Marble is very popular right now, but very expensive, and has same "veiny"/"shiny" issues. Formica has connotations of cheapness, but in a midcentury styled home, a cute formica pattern can add a kitschy charm.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have had metal counters in almost every kitchen i've cooked in until recently, and I don't care how "clinical" it feels, at least it's easy to clean and no-one's bitching about coasters all the drat time. It's a kitchen, I should be able to place a hot pot on the counter off the heat.

e: Plus it's very easy to tell when you have to clean it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm all about durability and ease of use and upkeep. Engineered quartz sounds like the way to go if you can afford it and you don't love scratched metal.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I've just been looking at kitchen surfaces as well. For the main surfaces I'm going to use an old beech block counter top I got hold of. But don't want wood around the sink as it goes manky so probably going for smooth slate or something similar depending on cost for a bit of light/dark contrast with the beech. Wood around the sink is really not worth it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I remember talking to a designer once re: countertops and he said he asks his clients what level of fuss they want to have. Most people don't want to do anything more than wipe a counter off with Windex and don't mind trivets. He shamelessly uses formica for his clients who aren't obsessed with trends.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

What does the rest of your kitchen look like? Rustic? Modern? What colors will your countertop be competing with?
What function does your kitchen have? Do you cook from scratch a lot? Is the kitchen part of an "open plan" (that is, on display all the time)?
How big is your countertop surface (is the counter surface finish going to be the biggest empty space in your kitchen, or a bunch of tiny little surfaces all separate)?

Pick countertops that you can keep clean, that look nice with the rest of your kitchen, that function well for your lifestyle.

I didn't ask what I should put in my kitchen, I wanna know about yours.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm all about durability and ease of use and upkeep. Engineered quartz sounds like the way to go if you can afford it and you don't love scratched metal.

Presumably stone (and stonelike crystals) and steel both have the downside that you can't chop directly on it without effing up your blade?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The best metal countertop is collecting a fuckton of pennies and then hot glueing them to your pre installed formica counters. Walla!

ninja edit: this is not the life hacks thread. But my post still stands.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Steel, or surplus laboratory bench top.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't ask what I should put in my kitchen, I wanna know about yours.

Formica in the kitchen, probably replaced with more formica within 5 ish years. Corian in the bathrooms and it is nearly perfect so despite being 50+ years old it'll stay as it's an inoffensive color. If I somehow get a lot of cash the kitchens will get quartz.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Presumably stone (and stonelike crystals) and steel both have the downside that you can't chop directly on it without effing up your blade?

Uh you're not supposed to be using a knife directly on them, and if your knife skills are bad enough for that to be a problem please take a course.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

effika posted:

Uh you're not supposed to be using a knife directly on them, and if your knife skills are bad enough for that to be a problem please take a course.

That's my point, with butcher's block you are supposed to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you cut directly on the countertop, you're going to beat up either your countertop or your knife, whichever is softer. Knives are smaller, less expensive, and easier to replace.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

If you cut directly on the countertop, you're going to beat up either your countertop or your knife, whichever is softer. Knives are smaller, less expensive, and easier to replace.

The idea with a butcher block cutting surface is that the knife edge goes in-between the (vertical) fibers of the wood, and is stopped by wedge action, so a) the knife is not dulled, and b) the surface is not scarred. I have an endgrain cutting board that I've been using regularly for years, and while it has a few cosmetic scratches, there's no gouges, missing material, or even anything I'd call a major aesthetic flaw.

That said, if you want your countertop to be pristine, then you should make it out of hardier stuff than wood, and get a cutting board (or put up with resharpening/replacing knives frequently).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stainless countertops (with molded sinks) are standard here for any build since WWII. New models offer acrylic ("engineered marble") because steels looks old fashioned to some people.

http://www.takara-standard.co.jp/product/system_kitchen/

I've never seen stone here, but some trendy young milfs are cursing themselves to adorable 1cm tile.

Edit: My friend got a cheaper brand white acrylic countertop. The counter is fine but the molded sink is scratched and stained to hell after just 5 years.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 21, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Guys I replaced one of the boob lights with a 7" LED flat light from Home Depot and it's good. I want to get two more 15" for the other ones in the house.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

JEEVES420 posted:

You're never going to post pictures of the finished bathroom are you?

There isn't a lot of motivation to post pictures of something pretty much everyone universally agreed was a poo poo design. I'd only be asking for more ridicule and I'm pretty sure I've had enough of that. I'm happy with how it turned out. That's all that matters I think.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Stainless countertops (with molded sinks) are standard here for any build since WWII. New models offer acrylic ("engineered marble") because steels looks old fashioned to some people.

http://www.takara-standard.co.jp/product/system_kitchen/

I've never seen stone here, but some trendy young milfs are cursing themselves to adorable 1cm tile.

Edit: My friend got a cheaper brand white acrylic countertop. The counter is fine but the molded sink is scratched and stained to hell after just 5 years.

Peanut, as someone that constantly lurks in this thread and the housing thread, I want to thank you for your constant japan-posting. It's not often that I look outside american-centric design trends and it's interesting to hear what's going on halfway across the world.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

There isn't a lot of motivation to post pictures of something pretty much everyone universally agreed was a poo poo design. I'd only be asking for more ridicule and I'm pretty sure I've had enough of that. I'm happy with how it turned out. That's all that matters I think.
I thought what mattered was women's opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anne Whateley posted:

I thought what mattered was women's opinions?

*females