Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Souls games seem like pretty good games on average but the only ones I've had any serious fun in was Demon's and BB.

I think Estus flasks are a lovely mechanic.

Lamebot posted:

gently caress off nazi

Dredging up posts several pages old to call someone a Nazi because of an avatar someone else bought for them. You are the stupidity that Lowtax's coffers need. Please keep posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dark Souls has good atmosphere and area design but I think the combat just hasn't really held up.

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are both better, and I say this having played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls. Hell, Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls in every way except for the way multiplayer works but if that's the only thing you care about maybe there are better games to play than this entire series

Here's my actual unpopular opinion: I don't mind Dark Souls 2 or 3, I think they're both fine games, but I also don't think much would be lost if From Soft never made direct sequels to any of the Souls games and we just had Demon's, Dark, and Bloodborne :shrug: Also I'm part of that contingent of people who really, actively does not want Bloodborne 2 despite loving Bloodborne because I think so much of what made Bloodborne so great couldn't possibly translate to a sequel.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will never understand why people say Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game. Probably the biggest "direct to video" sequel feeling game since No More Heroes 2.

Dark Souls wasnt popular on release and had a slow burn as people discovered it. So lots of people got insanely hype for 2 and everyone was excited to play it on release day and I think a lot of people just have trouble letting that go, or admitting something they anticipated greatly was only "ok"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When a disappointing game comes out fans can go two ways: they can double down and refuse to admit any disappointment, or they can unleash fury on a scale haters and trolls can only dream of. Haters laughed at Mass Effect 3's ending and the release state of No Man's Sky, disappointed fans are the reason those things became infamous

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

2house2fly posted:

When a disappointing game comes out fans can go two ways: they can double down and refuse to admit any disappointment, or they can unleash fury on a scale haters and trolls can only dream of. Haters laughed at Mass Effect 3's ending and the release state of No Man's Sky, disappointed fans are the reason those things became infamous

At least in the case of No Man's Sky, the developers supplied most of the fuel for the post-release hate fire.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Fartbox posted:

Dark Souls was just never that good to begin with

It was different though and gained traction fast and a lot of it was held up with "if u dont like it, u just dont like challenges" hype poo poo

It wasn't even that hard! The hardest fight for me was the first dual wielding demon in Dark Souls 2 but only because the camera was poo poo lol

Anyway, I enjoyed the bossfights. The rest of the game was pretty bad. Ugly cramped levels, boring enemies, lots of bugs etc

What's funny is all the 2 hard 4 u bs was due to namco bandai's marketing. the team was more concerned with making it tough but fair and the main appeal to people coming from demon's was exploring a weird, obtuse world with obstacles. Newer fans are a lot more anal though. Especially the ones that take pvp super seriously.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pedrovay2003 posted:

Seemingly unpopular opinion: If a PC game has more DRM than Steam (i.e., Denuvo, Uplay, etc.), then it's a glorified rental, and I don't even consider it. If I still want to play it, it's purely a console game to me, since I'm not going to ask permission to play what I buy.
Why does steam get a pass

And yes pc gamer hating DRM is truly an unpopular opinion

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Soulsbourne games should not have an easy mode.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

Soulsbourne games should not have an easy mode.

They only really get hard when you take into account invasions from other players. Easy mode is just playing while disconnected from the network.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I usually can't figure out if they are just being contrarian, or if they are some weird breed that loves a bunch of random poo poo about the series no one else does.

It's because DS2 is the only one in the series that gave two shits about trying to make sensible multiplayer interaction beyond just "summon folks for bosses".

So generally the people who think DS2 was the best are the ones who really liked the series for it's online interaction.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Simple mode in Cuphead should not unlock all content. The developers were right.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every game should have an option to unlock all content immediately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Games should be allowed to be as difficult or easy, with a level of challenge that's as customizable or non-customizable, as their designers think they should be. That doesn't mean they're always going to be good--like any design decision, difficulty can fail to achieve its goal--but there isn't some moral failing if a game is particularly demanding and doesn't have an easy mode. You don't often see people talking about it like that unless a game is popular, too, like with the Soulsborne games. Similarly, a player isn't in some way failing as a person if they don't like games that are really challenging and therefore don't get into Soulsborne games or other challenging games.

I do think that games should work to be inclusive, like including colorblind modes, or alternative control methods that help people with physical disabilities. But I also think that, if Hidetaka Miyazaki and the rest of From Software sees a particular level of challenge as a core part of one of their games, they're not doing something wrong by not including an easy mode.

Similarly, games like Mass Effect 3 or Pillars of Eternity including a "story time" mode that makes combat mega-easy aren't doing anything wrong, either. In those games, it's really conceivable that the designers see the dialog and story choices as being just as important to the gameplay, and the player experience, as interacting with the action game or RPG mechanics. Letting players say "I'm just in it for the story" is perfectly fine.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 20, 2018

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Harrow posted:

Similarly, games like Mass Effect 3 or Pillars of Eternity including a "story time" mode that makes combat mega-easy aren't doing anything wrong, either. In those games, it's really conceivable that the designers see the dialog and story choices as being just as important to the gameplay, and the player experience, as interacting with the action game or RPG mechanics. Letting players say "I'm just in it for the story" is perfectly fine.

I agree. If you pick up Witcher 3 for deep and varied gameplay, you're going to be disappointed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ChazTurbo posted:

The last quarter prototype kinda sucks. it's hard to feel like a badass when almost every baddy can stunlock or grab you.

Prototype 2 is a fantastic game.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

ChazTurbo posted:

The last quarter prototype kinda sucks. it's hard to feel like a badass when almost every baddy can stunlock or grab you.

Getting stunlocked in that game was such rear end, especially when you could get stunlock combo'd to death.

signalnoise posted:

PC games that don't alt-tab cleanly can kiss my rear end

Definitely agree. Looking at you Pillars of Eternity/Tyranny. :argh:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I can't unlock anything.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oldstench posted:

Prototype 2 is a fantastic game.

I thought it was better than the first in a lot of ways but they hosed up the ending again.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Combat in the original Mirror's Edge wasn't even that bad. It got a bad rap because people just played it incorrectly because the FPS red mist descends when a gun model appears in your hands. You're just meant to slide through legs and punch people in the nuts, roll over their gun and spray down their friends, chuck the gun and keep running.

Also, even now, a decade later, it's probably in contention for most aesthetically pleasing game ever released. The little I played of the sequel aped the same visual style but seemingly lacked the art direction of the first.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So is it popular or unpopular to say Saint's Row 4 is the best Saint's Row?

It's seriously in my top 5 comedy games ever, a lot of really great satire below the surface jokes.

... also it lets you team up Santa Clause with Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Ninja and a developer's dad to roll with you.

ED: Follow up, is it the best Matrix game ever made?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
SR4 is criminally underrated but I don't like how there's no point customizing or using vehicles any more since your powers are better in every way. Just kinds killed everything that made SR2 my favorite GTA game ever made.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lamebot posted:

gently caress off nazi

Twelve Batmans posted:

Dredging up posts several pages old to call someone a Nazi because of an avatar someone else bought for them. You are the stupidity that Lowtax's coffers need. Please keep posting.

If everyone that was ever called a nazi was actually a nazi, the world would be 100% nazi

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Saints Row 4 is in fact the best one and the fact that you don't really ever need to drive a car to get anywhere is a point in its favor.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
One of my favorite things to do in Saints Row 4 was jumping/flying/climbing while Geronimo was playing in the background. Definitely caused it to be my top saints row game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I had a great time in that one choosing the Nolan North voice and just pretending I was Deadpool.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Similarly, games like Mass Effect 3 or Pillars of Eternity including a "story time" mode that makes combat mega-easy aren't doing anything wrong, either.

They're not doing anything wrong but I pity anybody who plays a video game for just the story. I can't think of a single one that has a good enough story to carry a game by itself. Video games are not a good storytelling medium and the story in a game should always exist to futher the gameplay, not the other way around.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

They're not doing anything wrong but I pity anybody who plays a video game for just the story. I can't think of a single one that has a good enough story to carry a game by itself. Video games are not a good storytelling medium and the story in a game should always exist to futher the gameplay, not the other way around.

MGS3 is the only one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I disagree that video games are fundamentally unable to be a good storytelling medium. I think you need to tell different kinds of stories to really use the medium well rather than just making a bad movie where you shoot some dudes in between the scenes, but it can be done. One of the core problems is that writers don't make poo poo for money in the games industry so you're not really getting particularly good writers working on games, but another problem is that games are still in a phase of "well, people take movies seriously, so if we just pretend to be a movie they'll take us seriously, too," which definitely isn't how it works.

But what I meant more was that, in games like ME3 or Pillars of Eternity, the story is itself interactive. You're not just sitting there watching cutscenes and then going back to gameplay later, but instead you're actively involved in the story. Now, I'm not saying that they're good examples of that--ME3, in particular, is a garbage fire in so many ways--but I think it's reasonable to be interested in those games for the parts where you explore, make dialog choices, and influence the outcome of quests even if you're not interested in the parts where you fight things. So it makes sense to me that they'd have "just give me the story parts" difficulty levels. That's in contrast to something like Bloodborne, where the challenging combat is the core of the experience and getting that right is one of the main goals the designers had, so having multiple difficulty levels is vaguely encouraging people to play a worse version of your game.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Jeza posted:

Combat in the original Mirror's Edge wasn't even that bad. It got a bad rap because people just played it incorrectly because the FPS red mist descends when a gun model appears in your hands. You're just meant to slide through legs and punch people in the nuts, roll over their gun and spray down their friends, chuck the gun and keep running.

Also, even now, a decade later, it's probably in contention for most aesthetically pleasing game ever released. The little I played of the sequel aped the same visual style but seemingly lacked the art direction of the first.

the problem with mirror's edge wasn't the combat in and of itself but that the last few stages focused too much on rooms full of bad guys with little actual platforming. at least that's how I remember it

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Saints Row series is better than GTA on the grounds of the insurance fraud mini game alone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

If Yakuza was just a movie told through its cutscenes and dialogue it would be worth watching. I would go a far as to say the story, dialogue, and acting in those games just by itself is more worthwhile than many movies that come out these days.

Everything in this video is great and contains Yakuza 4 spoilers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWt140THMYw

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Um hello, 50 cent blood on the sand?

"Bitch took my skull!"

In seriousness though, you're right that most games don't rise to the level, but there are games that do have something to say. I think pillars of eternity does bring up some interesting ideas about faith, and Kentucky Route Zero could be a very interesting book or movie but the interactivity adds a lot of interesting player driven recontextualization.

I'll grant you though the strength of game storytelling isn't so much in these told stories, but in the stories generated in games like Stellaris, Civilization, or Eve.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Sardonik posted:

Um hello, 50 cent blood on the sand?

"Bitch took my skull!"

In seriousness though, you're right that most games don't rise to the level, but there are games that do have something to say. I think pillars of eternity does bring up some interesting ideas about faith, and Kentucky Route Zero could be a very interesting book or movie but the interactivity adds a lot of interesting player driven recontextualization.

I'll grant you though the strength of game storytelling isn't so much in these told stories, but in the stories generated in games like Stellaris, Civilization, or Eve.

The only game I made an exception in regard to the gameplay>story rule was deadly premonition. was too quirky and the cast too likeable to let it go.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

MGS3 is the only one.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I think furi did ok with the gameplay/story balance. Most of it was little clues as to what's going on during the game's breather moments and then an "oh neat" reaction when it finished. Nothing overbearing or pretentious imo.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Meme Emulator posted:

MGS3 is the only one.

MGS3 had gameplay that met the quality of its story though, especially when Subsistence came out.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

MGS5 is the best one because your fist is a rocket hth

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

IDONTPOST posted:

MGS5 is the best one because your fist is a rocket hth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS5 is a mess. At times an awesome mess, but it's all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

Saints Row 4 is in fact the best one and the fact that you don't really ever need to drive a car to get anywhere is a point in its favor.

I spent a lot of time driving in sr4 because it was fun :shobon: