Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ZDar Fan posted:

This song never fails to snap me back to awkward middle school dances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9HGwRbMiVY

I think this imprinted attractive brunettes with glasses on me.

Wait I was 17 when this came out, well, I mean that still makes sense. Though I think she wasn't that old when this came out? Wait nope, she was in her mid 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

twistedmentat posted:

I never saw Bill Nye but I discovered that he did music parodies, including this Morissey Parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuSuQEHjC0

Like....that could be Weird Al for its pitch perfect parody

If we're doing Morissey parodies, Mojo Nixon is the guy to go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlknIjyipFg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phanatic posted:

If we're doing Morissey parodies, Mojo Nixon is the guy to go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlknIjyipFg

If your store doesn't have Mojo Nixon, your store could use some Fixen.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jun 20, 2018

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

If your doesn't have Mojo Nixon, your store could use some Fixen.

On such a winter's day...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

twistedmentat posted:

Wait I was 17 when this came out, well, I mean that still makes sense. Though I think she wasn't that old when this came out? Wait nope, she was in her mid 20s.

What makes it even more 90s is that the video is directed by Ethan Hawke. It's part of why Lisa Loeb was on the Reality Bites soundtrack.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DicktheCat posted:

I'd probably say this only of 3rd wave, second and first were... Ah poo poo. Trap sprung.
3rd wave is haram

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

What makes it even more 90s is that the video is directed by Ethan Hawke. It's part of why Lisa Loeb was on the Reality Bites soundtrack.

Oh drat I forgot about that. Remember when he was a big star?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I feel that Nirvana (or something VERY close to them in the time) sparked a transition from college/alternative from being viewed as a goofy, novelty genre to the mainstream to being taken seriously. I don't know if it was REM, either. Because the metal scene and the pop scenes were so huge before Nirvana and neither one really seemed to have an appreciation for the alternative stuff.

I'm trying to even think what the big alternative songs BEFORE (and just around the time) Smells Like Teen Spirit/Grunge wave really exploded were, and I'm thinking, yeah, there was REM's "Losing My Religion" and Michael Penn's "No Myth" that had huge success, and those might be hugging the sort of a bit on the 'serious/sensitive' side, but otherwise you have stuff like "Tom's Diner", "Been Caught Stealing", "TMBG", "Stand" and "End of the World As We Know It", stuff by a lot of UK groups that had a different sound from the US bands.

edit: There might have been some sizeable new wave success in the mainstream in the early 80s due to MTV, but I think just about anything that made it through the late 80s had a more 'pop/rock' crossover appeal.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Jun 20, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Anyone else remember Night Flight? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Flight_(TV_series)

I caught it on broadcast after it was syndicated. There was so much good, weird poo poo on there. Really primitive cg animation. Strange music videos. Trippy cartoons. Subgenius propaganda! I think I may still have a few episodes on an old VHS somewhere.

That show really felt like something I shouldn't be seeing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DicktheCat posted:

I'd probably say this only of 3rd wave, second and first were... Ah poo poo. Trap sprung.

I posted a joke at ska's expense I heard on a podcast in another thread recently: first-wave ska was all about racism and youth crime; second-wave ska was all about unemployment and multiculturalism; and third-wave ska was about how your dad bought you a lovely car.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bram Stoker's Dracula is far from a perfect movie, but it's so pretty to look at, and I really enjoyed Anthony Hopkins' slightly unhinged take on Van Helsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rlohOLUi9k

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Anyone else remember Night Flight? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Flight_(TV_series)

I caught it on broadcast after it was syndicated. There was so much good, weird poo poo on there. Really primitive cg animation. Strange music videos. Trippy cartoons. Subgenius propaganda! I think I may still have a few episodes on an old VHS somewhere.

That show really felt like something I shouldn't be seeing.

It's weird that you bring this up, cus I just saw that they relaunched it on IFC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

:same: but it was more of a secondary imprint because Elvira got first billing for me.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm trying to even think what the big alternative songs BEFORE (and just around the time) Smells Like Teen Spirit/Grunge wave really exploded were, and I'm thinking, yeah, there was REM's "Losing My Religion" and Michael Penn's "No Myth" that had huge success, and those might be hugging the sort of a bit on the 'serious/sensitive' side, but otherwise you have stuff like "Tom's Diner", "Been Caught Stealing", "TMBG", "Stand" and "End of the World As We Know It", stuff by a lot of UK groups that had a different sound from the US bands.

Speaking of REM, I never particularly cared for them, but What's The Frequency Kenneth is definitely has a 90's nighttime feel for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkMhCLkVOg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elvira is a redhead. :colbert: As seen in her cameo as the biker lady in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Elvira is a redhead. :colbert: As seen in her cameo as the biker lady in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I think you have Elvira confused with Cassandra Peterson

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I think you have Elvira confused with Cassandra Peterson

:negative:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I feel that Nirvana (or something VERY close to them in the time) sparked a transition from college/alternative from being viewed as a goofy, novelty genre to the mainstream to being taken seriously. I don't know if it was REM, either. Because the metal scene and the pop scenes were so huge before Nirvana and neither one really seemed to have an appreciation for the alternative stuff.

edit: There might have been some sizeable new wave success in the mainstream in the early 80s due to MTV, but I think just about anything that made it through the late 80s had a more 'pop/rock' crossover appeal.

"Alive" had dropped back in July, and it was potentially the Little Boy to Nirvana's Fat Man. There was the pre-cursor to that with Temple of the Dog, but I want to say that didn't really get any traction until Pearl Jam blew up and then that album was everywhere. In addition, you had the first Lollapalooza tearing through the states which included Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction, along with the Butthole Surfers, Siouxie and the Banshees, Rollins Band and others. NIN were arguably already blowing up and crossing over into mainstream. Pretty Hate Machine was a monster record and was already two years old a that point. The Chili Peppers dropped Blood Sugar Sex Magik just before Nevermind and god drat but I couldn't walk down any dorm hall in Nacogdoches without hearing some dude working out the cords to "Under the Bridge" on a ratty acoustic. "Give It Away" was at EVERY party. Those songs and albums were HUGE and cleared some of the path that Nirvana would end up annihilating.

This was also the year that Metallica dropped their self titled, and that had this really weird bleed over into the mainstream/alternative side.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hatelull posted:

This was also the year that Metallica dropped their self titled, and that had this really weird bleed over into the mainstream/alternative side.

The reason the Black Album it was a mainstream success was because they had been declawed, and were now the kinder, gentler Metallica that your parents still disliked, but weren't completely opposed to you owning because they kinda like "Nothing Else Matters."

I was 10 at the time it was released, and I really don't remember it being much of a crossover for alternative, as the Metallica listeners were labeled as "butt rockers" up until I hit high school.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

The reason the Black Album it was a mainstream success was because they had been declawed, and were now the kinder, gentler Metallica that your parents still disliked, but weren't completely opposed to you owning because they kinda like "Nothing Else Matters."

I was 10 at the time it was released, and I really don't remember it being much of a crossover for alternative, as the Metallica listeners were labeled as "butt rockers" up until I hit high school.

By the 2000s I'd say Metallica had definitely started becoming mainstream among anyone into classic rock. The local classic rock and metal station always played Metallica, usually their more famous and softer stuff like "Nothing Else Matters", "Enter Sandman", and "One".

At the same time, they never really made the full crossover into serious alternative because they had become too big and mainstream. When they first started in the 80s they were a fresh and new alternative to hair metal and 70s-derived stuff like Ozzy, with a hard and dark sound that still had complex instrumentation and didn't descend into such dark and noisy stuff that they were unlistenable to all but the most hardcore metal fans. By the mid to late 90s, they had lightened up a little and weren't as new as they used to be. Everyone knew Metallica and listened to Metallica. There was no longer anything really subversive about them unless you were a suburbanite Baptist.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hatelull posted:

"Alive" had dropped back in July, and it was potentially the Little Boy to Nirvana's Fat Man. There was the pre-cursor to that with Temple of the Dog, but I want to say that didn't really get any traction until Pearl Jam blew up and then that album was everywhere. In addition, you had the first Lollapalooza tearing through the states which included Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction, along with the Butthole Surfers, Siouxie and the Banshees, Rollins Band and others. NIN were arguably already blowing up and crossing over into mainstream. Pretty Hate Machine was a monster record and was already two years old a that point. The Chili Peppers dropped Blood Sugar Sex Magik just before Nevermind and god drat but I couldn't walk down any dorm hall in Nacogdoches without hearing some dude working out the cords to "Under the Bridge" on a ratty acoustic. "Give It Away" was at EVERY party. Those songs and albums were HUGE and cleared some of the path that Nirvana would end up annihilating.

Mother Love Bone was gonna be huge before Matthew Wood died

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Alaois posted:

Mother Love Bone was gonna be huge before Matthew Wood died

Interesting to think that if Wood hadn't OD'd, we potentially would not have Pearl Jam.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hatelull posted:

Interesting to think that if Wood hadn't OD'd, we potentially would not have Pearl Jam.

If Cobain hadn't died there would be no Foo Fighters

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I guess one thing I feel, though, is that before that grunge boom that alternative always felt like it was seen as either way too 'artsy' or way too 'fartsy' to be taken seriously by a lot of audiences. Maybe it's just because of the tone of the time, too, because of the general mood of the music scene in the then-popular genres. You had a sense of really popular mainstream styles that even the popular alternative acts didn't fit neatly into.

I think a large divide between the 80s/90s popular metal/rock and the approaching and more fringe 80s/90s harder alternative sound was the way it handled guitars and loudness and especially hair length. A lot of the 80s/90s alternative didn't have the same sort of 'aggressive' or 'let's party' moods that the 80s metal scenes pushed. The exception being the metal ballads that didn't have either of those, but gained a lot of mainstream success outside of their genre fans.

Maybe Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You" is a decent crossover between metal and grunge. The sort of mix irreverent tone of alternative and enough callbacks to the late 80s metal/hard rock sound. Meanwhile Faith No More's probably was a big bridging act, too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hatelull posted:

Interesting to think that if Wood hadn't OD'd, we would not have Temple of the Dog.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JediTalentAgent posted:

I guess one thing I feel, though, is that before that grunge boom that alternative always felt like it was seen as either way too 'artsy' or way too 'fartsy' to be taken seriously by a lot of audiences. Maybe it's just because of the tone of the time, too, because of the general mood of the music scene in the then-popular genres. You had a sense of really popular mainstream styles that even the popular alternative acts didn't fit neatly into.

I think a large divide between the 80s/90s popular metal/rock and the approaching and more fringe 80s/90s harder alternative sound was the way it handled guitars and loudness and especially hair length. A lot of the 80s/90s alternative didn't have the same sort of 'aggressive' or 'let's party' moods that the 80s metal scenes pushed. The exception being the metal ballads that didn't have either of those, but gained a lot of mainstream success outside of their genre fans.

Maybe Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You" is a decent crossover between metal and grunge. The sort of mix irreverent tone of alternative and enough callbacks to the late 80s metal/hard rock sound. Meanwhile Faith No More's probably was a big bridging act, too.

As somebody who grew up in a small town, it was really hard to become aware of any cool new bands/genres that didn't get a lot of radio play, as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

:same: but it was more of a secondary imprint because Elvira got first billing for me.

First there was Columbia with me.

I remember everyone had the casingle of Enter Sandman and suddenly everyone became the biggets metallica fan. I never found any appeal to it really. Chili Peppers I actually had liked for a long time, just not knowing it. Sometimes You'd see Higher Ground or Fight Like a Brave videos, and I was "hey this is good music" it was funky, but also had an edge. Of course when BSSM came out all the "cool" people who were the judge of who was in the ingroup dedicded that anyone other than them who liked them was just a Bandwagoner.

drat, my Jr High and High school was super cliquey.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

drat, my Jr High and High school was super cliquey.

That was everyone's Jr High and High school, HTH

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

That was everyone's Jr High and High school, HTH

Were they all based on really dumb criteria?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Were they all based on really dumb criteria?

Yes.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Randaconda posted:

As somebody who grew up in a small town, it was really hard to become aware of any cool new bands/genres that didn't get a lot of radio play, as well.

:(:hf::(
I missed out on so much, living in a rural area outside a worthless poo poo town.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
not really the "most 90's thing" exactly but every once in awhile I remember how much Primus sucks and go on a listening binge and goddamn Les Claypool is both weird and loving fantastic

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

hatelull posted:

I was in Hall 16 back in the early 90's. It seemed like Nevermind was playing in every room.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

Metallica is an interesting band. I'm not a fan of their old stuff, I'm hugely not a fan of their "new" stuff (Load and after), but I can listen to "And Justice For All" until the end of days. Metallica "Metallica" is tolerable, but a bit mainstream for my taste.

I saw them in concert at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. They were louder than anything I've ever heard in my life. They put on a show so good that I'm pretty sure it was all playback. It was so enjoyable that it reminded me why I don't go to big concerts. It was too perfect, they started too late, and they had zero rapport with the crowd, they hardly even talked to the crowd at all. It was just smoke and lasers. It was very well done, but a complete waste.

There's no reason to go to a live show without some back and forth with the crowd.

The best live show I ever saw was Hairball at The Rock in Maplewood, MN. It was a variety of hair bands from the 90's. Warrant blew me away. When everyone started singing along with their power ballads, the band stopped to say "Thank You. I can't believe that you all remember the words." and got everyone all keyed up. It was a wonderful experience. Great White, Warrant, Blue Oyster Cult (they sucked), Jackyl, and "Diamond" David :Lee Roth.

I've never been so sun burnt or felt so alive and vomiting from any concert before or after. There was a copious amount of booze involved during the full day show.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Metallica should have just packed it in after the bus crash.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

When someone makes a doc about the birth of New Country, this is what it should be called. if they do, you should sue them.
And I remembered why i was familar with Garth Brooks, he was always a great Conan guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cH-E5DhGMs

Lol I'm glad he had a sense of humor about THIS

That loving soul patch :cawg:

Also we all know Peak Nineties Country is actually Alan Jackson and Achy Breaky Heart :suicide:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dixville posted:

Also we all know Peak Nineties Country is actually Alan Jackson and Achy Breaky Heart :suicide:

peak 90s was also me convincing someone on a BBS - and I have no idea why I did this, other than because I could - that I was the real and actual Billy Ray Cyrus

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

peak 90s was also me convincing someone on a BBS - and I have no idea why I did this, other than because I could - that I was the real and actual Billy Ray Cyrus

I had a handful of people convinced via MySpace that I was Tim Allen in 2006. Can’t figure out why because it was very obviously a joke profile

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mostlygray posted:

I saw them in concert at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. They were louder than anything I've ever heard in my life. They put on a show so good that I'm pretty sure it was all playback. It was so enjoyable that it reminded me why I don't go to big concerts. It was too perfect, they started too late, and they had zero rapport with the crowd, they hardly even talked to the crowd at all. It was just smoke and lasers. It was very well done, but a complete waste.

There's no reason to go to a live show without some back and forth with the crowd.

It was so good but a complete waste?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ferrule posted:

It was so good but a complete waste?

"A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
That whole Chris Gaines thing would have probably been seen as way less alienating years later.

People didn't know what the hell to make of it at the time, it was a bit of a joke, I think even with Brooks' crossover success in non-country scenes people question his motivations. It was all apparently supposed to have been tied into a movie that never got made and I wonder if that was the fatal flaw of the whole project. Had the movie come out first I think people would have been a lot more accepting of the whole thing as just a film soundtrack with a bit of a gimmick than confused and angry over him changing looks, name, and style.