Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Reviews are starting to come out for Jurassic World. From the sounds of it the director decided to make a campy horror/action movie and Treverrow decided to write a ponderous self serious movie about the military industrial complex and only one of those halves actually pay off. Hint: There is apparently a scene where a dinosaur jumps out a window just in time to avoid an explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit

I hope Alden does more cool stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

it was part of the very obviously planted Hollywood Reporter story slamming Lord & Miller that dropped about two hours after they were fired;
There was also Clarke saying she didnt know what they meant by "play her like a noir character"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

There was also Clarke saying she didnt know what they meant by "play her like a noir character"

Everything about her just screams "I really don't like acting or even movies that much but it's what what I fell into and it pays really well."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to confuse Emilia Clarke with being particularly talented at acting; I've only caught maybe five minutes total of Game of Thrones and she's a block of wood in that, and she's been terrible in everything else I've seen her in. (I never bothered with Solo.)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Reviews are starting to come out for Jurassic World. From the sounds of it the director decided to make a campy horror/action movie and Treverrow decided to write a ponderous self serious movie about the military industrial complex and only one of those halves actually pay off. Hint: There is apparently a scene where a dinosaur jumps out a window just in time to avoid an explosion.

The movie's been out for two weeks outside the US. There have been reviews everywhere for a while now

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought RLM's idea about Star Wars in that last video of theirs was pretty reasonable. I always assumed Star Wars had the same sort of demo of mindless beautiful free-thinking golden human beings that fuel the current Marvel bubble.
Was I wrong about their slavishness or just the number of them? No one's been "aging out" of Star Wars, right? The very fact anyone was excited about Darth Maul has to prove that.
Why isn't a Star Wars movie a year working the same way multiple Marvel movies are? Don't give me "depth of the universe", it's all poo poo for kids anyway, give it to a good writer and they'll figure it out. Iron Man wasn't some iconic character, right?
Are there just less competent suits in control of the destiny of the Star Wars films than in control of the Marvel studios films?

I DEMAND ANSWERS AND PROMISE I AM NOT SECRETLY KATHLEEN KENNEDY

edit1: changed "dipshits" to "beautiful free-thinking golden human beings"

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 20, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sir Kodiak posted:

Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) was accused of not knowing how to act, which doesn't exactly line up with his performances in his previous movies.

Hes not a bad actor (he was pretty good in Hail Ceasar!) but he just isn't young Harrison Ford.

Also on second thought -- has there been any Star Wars films in the Disney era that didn't have extensive reshoots or real bickering behind the scenes, other than maybe The Force Awakens?

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 20, 2018

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Marvel adds new characters to it's universe where's Star Wars just keeps telling the same story with characters we've already seen and know for decades now

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's hardly a new problem. The last new Star Wars books that came out before Disney bought Lucasfilm were about septuagenarian Han, Luke and Leia saving the galaxy while Han and Leia's daughter was still being written like she was when she was a teenager even though the character should have been closer to 40 than 30. You had the New Jedi Order books setting up the new generation of Jedi Knights who'd lead the way going forward, but then they were either killed off or written out until it was the Han, Luke and Leia show all over again. That's how I remember it anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Feldegast42 posted:

Hes not a bad actor (he was pretty good in Hail Ceasar!) but he just isn't young Harrison Ford.

Also on second thought -- has there been any Star Wars films in the Disney era that didn't have extensive reshoots or real bickering behind the scenes, other than maybe The Force Awakens?

Force Awakens was heavily re-edited throughout its post-production process, to the point of Abrams re-cutting the movie from top-to-bottom about a month before its premiere.

The Last Jedi only had like a week of re-shoots and ADR, and it was all pickup stuff. And by all accounts the "behind the scenes bickering" was wildly overblown, primarily limited to Hamill whining about not being a superhero for a bit before he re-read the script. Johnson had the picture locked in September 2017.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No doubt the reason Johnson was given a whole trilogy (for now) before the movie was even out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Feldegast42 posted:

During TFA shoot, the Millennium Falcon tried to kill Harrison Ford*. Maybe Disney should have taken that as an omen?

*I'm going to write a SW EU where the MF is a Force user.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Let's all keep in mind that, by some accounts, the original Star Wars was terrible in its early versions. It was only after they went through some different editors that it came out okay.

Frankly, I don't get why people are so worked up about Star Wars these days. I was obsessed with Star Wars as a kid, and was immeasurably excited about the prequels (Ep 1 was when I was 15). Went to see it a couple times before the reality of the whole thing sunk in, but I was so let down by the prequel series that I just went numb to the whole thing. I still "love" Star Wars, but in a way that's more like "Oh, cool, a new Star Wars movie, I'll see that."

I guess I'm just puzzled how people get so angry about Star Wars, when this is far from the worst period in the franchise. Oh well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Why isn't a Star Wars movie a year working the same way multiple Marvel movies are?
Marvel, for the most part, started with a blank slate with respect to films.
No one had any expectations for Iron Man because he was a B-level hero when his film came out. Now, drop a Rebooted IM in the Marvel U and you might get some "Well RDJ and the Original..." bellyaching.

Star Wars has enjoyed a generation +2 as pop culture royalty and a go-to Nerd darling. Anything they produced was going to get picked at endlessly. They're stuck telling a story that relies on the OT characters in a universe where they could branch out easily.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

give it to a good writer and they'll figure it out. Iron Man wasn't some iconic character, right?

You might want a different example than Iron Man when it comes to a good writer tackling the material...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

You might want a different example than Iron Man when it comes to a good writer tackling the material...

What’s your problem with Shane Black?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

oh woops that was just me not spacing out my thoughts right lol

FilthyImp posted:

Star Wars has enjoyed a generation +2 as pop culture royalty and a go-to Nerd darling. Anything they produced was going to get picked at endlessly.
I just assumed that didn't matter, that those type of people would be eagerly paying to hate poo poo as well but I guess I was wrong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I genuinely have no idea what most people think of Star Wars because I studiously avoid interacting with Star Wars fans outside SA.

Edit: as far as Lucas goes, I don't dislike midi-chlorians, I don't really care about them one way or the other, I don't think I'd have been very interested in an entire trilogy of movies about them, but Lucas's sincere attachment to the concept somewhat endears me to him.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 20, 2018

Henker
May 5, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Marvel adds new characters to it's universe where's Star Wars just keeps telling the same story with characters we've already seen and know for decades now
You'd think they'd be able to branch out more considering they have an entire literal galaxy to explore. Whereas Marvel seems to take place 90% in NYC and manages to add new characters.

At least Dr. Aphra is a semi-interesting new Star Wars character. Even though she's basically Space Harley Quinn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I genuinely have no idea what most people think of Star Wars because I studiously avoid interacting with Star Wars fans outside SA.

Edit: as far as Lucas goes, I don't dislike midi-chlorians, I don't really care about them one way or the other, I don't think I'd have been very interested in an entire trilogy of movies about them, but Lucas's sincere attachment to the concept somewhat endears me to him.

I have a very small group of people in real life to sample.

Children think it's rad and cool which I can dig because they're the target audience.

The people I know my age (just about 30) in real life all think the new stuff is decent

People 10+ years older than me all say "it's not Star Wars" but can't explain why

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Was I wrong about their slavishness or just the number of them? No one's been "aging out" of Star Wars, right? The very fact anyone was excited about Darth Maul has to prove that.

...were people excited about Darth Maul?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I have a very small group of people in real life to sample.

Children think it's rad and cool which I can dig because they're the target audience.

The people I know my age (just about 30) in real life all think the new stuff is decent

People 10+ years older than me all say "it's not Star Wars" but can't explain why

My dad says going to see ANH in 1977 when he was 14 was one of the most significant experiences of his adolescence (!) and his view is that TFA was fine, TLJ was fine and Rogue One was the best (!) Star Wars movie since 1983. My brother is a few years younger than me and he liked TFA, disliked TLJ and insists that Rogue One is one of the best (!) movies (!!) ever made (!!!!).

I don't think I have access to a great sample.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Why isn't a Star Wars movie a year working the same way multiple Marvel movies are? Don't give me "depth of the universe", it's all poo poo for kids anyway, free-thinking golden human beings"

Do you want me to tell you the answer or do you want to plug your ears and scream into the void?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pshhhh you're not deep enough to be the void, sir.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's hardly a new problem. The last new Star Wars books that came out before Disney bought Lucasfilm were about septuagenarian Han, Luke and Leia saving the galaxy while Han and Leia's daughter was still being written like she was when she was a teenager even though the character should have been closer to 40 than 30. You had the New Jedi Order books setting up the new generation of Jedi Knights who'd lead the way going forward, but then they were either killed off or written out until it was the Han, Luke and Leia show all over again. That's how I remember it anyway.

YUUUUP I read a ton of those EU novels growing up and basically every single one was "Hey look at all this great new stuff and new characters......wait a mysterious new threat threatens the fledgling New Republic (that's been around for like 50 years now) can Luke/Han/Leia stop it in time??????" I was surprised they actually killed Han and Luke off. I mean Luke can come back as a force ghost or whatever but still, I was expecting both characters to get a still living riding off into the sunset sort of deal. Everything was written like Return of the Jedi happened a few years ago no matter how far in the future it was.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 21, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Rogue One was really awesome, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Pshhhh you're not deep enough to be the void, sir.

Keep screaming

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I'd like more Star Wars games, especially in the RPG genre.

Gives the rights to Obsidian. I'm pretty sure they could do something great.

Fried Watermelon posted:

This is sort of what bothers me. Babylon 5 (which has aged a lot better than a 90s sci fi should have) makes you feel there's constantly new things just around the corner, with the 3rd space aliens or the Drakh suddenly popping up.

Meanwhile Star Wars is just re running the same poo poo they did before. I mean, they're doing it well, but that's all they're doing. Star Wars isn't interesting enough to do deconstructions of. Even if it was, they're not going to do it better than LOGH did years ago.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would hope that the largest, richest, most talent filled media conglomerate in the world would do better than a bunch of writers writing licensed novels under assumed names for a quick cheque.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pirate Jet posted:

Rogue One was really awesome, though.
They had about a 98% awesome movie with a 2% dumb retcon, but yeah it was fun and an example of the kind of poo poo we should be seeing in more SW films.
You get a blind swordsman quasi jedi and a heavy gunner samoan looking mofo. That alone is awesome.

i dislike that the DS weakness was manufactured instead of amazing hubris but oh well

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Gives the rights to FROM Software. I'm pretty sure they could do something great.

:darksouls:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh god yeah. And people were pissed when he was killed off because they thought "He was supposed to be the new Vader!".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schwarzwald posted:

I was in fourth grade and he looked cool as poo poo and had a double bladed lightsaber how cool was that?!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

maybe. Some sort of very unforgiving bounty hunter game, maybe

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FilthyImp posted:

i dislike that the DS weakness was manufactured instead of amazing hubris but oh well

Oh, it's some goddamn incredible hubris, it's just more subtle now. First Krennic kills the entire engineering and research team that designed the Death Star, before he knew about the sabotage. Congratulations, you just killed your best bets for finding and fixing the problem.

Then Krennic doesn't tell Tarkin that the Death Star has been sabotaged to keep Tarkin from dicking him even further.

Then Tarkin kills Krennic to eliminate a political and bureaucratic rival... who happened to be the only man who knew there was a fatal weakness in the Death Star.

Office politics, ladies and gentlemen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

People who grew up on The Clone Wars and Rebels are probably even bigger fans of him now since those shows made him into both a cool and tragic villain.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Darth Maul was an evil Ninja with a unique lightsaber, horns and a badass facial tattoo. He was basically everyone's cool notebook scribbles brought to life.
Ray Park gave him some fun physicality. Doesnt he do the Kung Fu Bring It palm wave at some point?

Cythereal posted:

Office politics, ladies and gentlemen.
You know what, that makes the whole thing darkly funny to me. So thank you for helping me get past the one quibble I haf with the film. :glomp:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FilthyImp posted:

You know what, that makes the whole thing darkly funny to me. So thank you for helping me get past the one quibble I haf with the film. :glomp:

It's also great because I've seen that chain of events play out more than once in real life. Manager A learns there's a potentially serious problem with Project X that's a huge deal for the company and potentially a complete game-changer. But because Project X has been through such a troubled history already and Manager A's position is so fragile, he decides to hide the problem and fires or reassigns everyone who could have found the problem. Manager A does not tell his more highly-placed bureaucratic rival Manager B because if Manager B knew, Manager A would be shitcanned for mismanaging the project so badly. Manager B subsequently shitcans Manager A anyway, thereby ensuring Project X has a serious problem that now no one knows about until it blows up in their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hedenius posted:

Top 100 lists are inherently silly and arbitrary but putting The Wicker Man at 96 and Four Weddings and a Funeral at 23 of a list of the best 100 British films should get everyone involved some serious jail time.

Top 100 lists are scientifically designed to piss people off and I fall for it every time.