Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I thought Scytale revealed that he had a capsule full of all the main characters in Chapterhouse. I mean I don’t think Frank would’ve pulled the trigger on that, but he did toss that chekov’s gun onto the mantle.

Yeah, that did happen. I think Frank may have decided to do something with it, but I guarantee it would have been handled far better than Brian's stupid bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

These Butlerian Jihads are making me thirsty

Genuine lol, noice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hate brian herbert so much

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

These Butlerian Jihads are making me thirsty

Patrolling Arrakis almost makes me wish for a real Butlerian Jihad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Serious talk though, from all the sources I've seen, what Herbert actually envisioned w/r/t the Butlerian Jihad is the surveillance state we're living in now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Serious talk though, from all the sources I've seen, what Herbert actually envisioned w/r/t the Butlerian Jihad is the surveillance state we're living in now.

Time to do drugs in the desert

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Time to do drugs in the desert

I'm just gonna wear this full body diaper and hang out

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Halloween Jack posted:

Partially, but it also feels like an extrapolation of the increasing prevalence and penetration of social media. It wasn't just about machines, but 'machine thinking', which I think Leto 2 says is when people basically began to do things without thinking about it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Telling you man, it's about the instrumentality of actions and choices. I mean, if someone decides to do something not for the value of the thing, but they use it as an instrument to further their goals.

Full machine thinking is a decision rubric of 100% picking only instrumental actions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In that case, it would be remarkably prescient in predicting the ideology of the current Democratic Party.

By the by, my specific source is short story Herbert wrote for a California newspaper in the form of a news article. It recounts how people in the 21st century violently rebelled against computerization because it enabled a police surveillance state.

So his idea of AI is just more genuinely human than the machine learning algorithms Facebook and Google and everyone else are using.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Telling you man, it's about the instrumentality of actions and choices. I mean, if someone decides to do something not for the value of the thing, but they use it as an instrument to further their goals.

Full machine thinking is a decision rubric of 100% picking only instrumental actions.

In other words, bureaucracy.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wouldn't be surprised if Herbert's "Machine Thinking" was influenced by the popularity of logical positivism and similar perspectives in post-war America.

You might enjoy Cordwainer Smith's short story Scanners Live In Vain which tackles some similar philosophical ground.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Herbert's "Machine Thinking" was influenced by the popularity of logical positivism and similar perspectives in post-war America.

You might enjoy Cordwainer Smith's short story Scanners Live In Vain which tackles some similar philosophical ground.

"Machine Thinking" is a really interesting concept. I've been pondering it on and off since this thread pointed out that it's not necessarily AI but also encompasses human mechanoid-like behavior. The most famous of these, "I was following my orders," is already derided by many.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Frank in the later books develops a fairly libertarian bent. I think Odrade outright says taxation is theft in Chapterhouse, and Herbert's hate of bureaucrats is pretty well documented in the series

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Testikles posted:

Frank in the later books develops a fairly libertarian bent. I think Odrade outright says taxation is theft in Chapterhouse, and Herbert's hate of bureaucrats is pretty well documented in the series

it’s part of the reason his good guys usually had to be aristocratic nobles, because they could just set things in motion by force of will, as it were. Of course this form of ruler ship also had its drawbacks which he was pretty careful to illustrate with the Harkonnens. E: also even with Paul’s own empire in the very next book.

Herbert devotes quite a bit of text to showing how bogged down the Bene Gesserit are getting in Heretics and, especially, Chapterhouse; talk of Odrade drowning in paperwork and stacks of crystal paper and reel wire or whatever, making decisions from small to large. I wonder if Frank didn’t intend that to go hand in hand with their getting steamrolled by the Honored Matres.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I had a customer in at work today whose eyebrows stuck out by, like, 4 cm, and all I could think was that he looked like the David Lynch version of Thufir Hawat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What do I do guys

The yellow sticker means 75% off

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
yes and yes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

What do I do guys

The yellow sticker means 75% off

I have the one on the right, my dad bought it originally. I like the design of the no-ship.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

priznat posted:

I have the one on the right, my dad bought it originally. I like the design of the no-ship.

I have the one where that picture is a small box on a solid yellow background.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have the one where that picture is a small box on a solid yellow background.

I’ve seen those too, I think that was a bundle of the series with all the original artworks in small boxes to match the design of the rest of them, or something like that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

No-globes? Yes-please! :heysexy:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

priznat posted:

I’ve seen those too, I think that was a bundle of the series with all the original artworks in small boxes to match the design of the rest of them, or something like that.

I bought them individually, all the series was like that except the first one. That was in the early 2000’s? I lost all the sequels and three copies of the original (gotta stop lending it out). Time to rebuy ‘em all.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When Duncan was pissed off that Fish Speakers were making out in their barracks was that showing us that he’s a stodgy conservative relic with a stick up his rear end, or that he’s the only sane man in a world gone mad with tolerating homosexuality?

Like I know Herbert was a homophobe, but he also was clearly into his beefy Amazonian stormtroopers who have orgasms from chanting “sianoq” and watching Duncan climb up a cliff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hes constantly shown to be a relic in other ways.

Herbert was a homophobe but probably aware the world was leaving his sensibilities behind

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I don't think Leto II (or Paul) were Mary Sue characters. I think they had opinions that were not the author's. Also Leto states that male homosexuals were often a result of misplaced aggression especially in the army, and His Gays Are Different.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Murray Mantoinette posted:

it’s part of the reason his good guys usually had to be aristocratic nobles, because they could just set things in motion by force of will, as it were. Of course this form of ruler ship also had its drawbacks which he was pretty careful to illustrate with the Harkonnens. E: also even with Paul’s own empire in the very next book.

Herbert devotes quite a bit of text to showing how bogged down the Bene Gesserit are getting in Heretics and, especially, Chapterhouse; talk of Odrade drowning in paperwork and stacks of crystal paper and reel wire or whatever, making decisions from small to large. I wonder if Frank didn’t intend that to go hand in hand with their getting steamrolled by the Honored Matres.

I don't know because they explicitly state that the Honored Matres are themselves too encumbered with bureaucrats. Like Dune is masterful but it starts to get clunky past God Emperor

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
drat these sexy ladies with their bureaucrats and their Kung-Fu kicks and furry cat-person slaves.

Hopefully they didn’t lead Lord Cybertrex back to the Milky Way with their paper trail.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 24, 2018

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
hey, watch it! I'm butlerian jihading here!!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
After Teg frees himself from the J-probe and escapes his captors, a friend leads him to safety, stopping briefly for the food that his hyper metabolism so desperately needs:

Restaurant owner: eyyy! Mama mia howzabouda nicea piecea pizza eh!?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
That’s a spicey Meat-a-ball!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Giedi Prime, now called Gabagool

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Feyd: Uncle, how did you manage to break the imperial conditioning of a Suk Doctor?

Baron: I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
*Hover car with the Harkonnen Flag on the hood flies up*
*A fat hairy slob in gaudy clothes, and an orange muscleman slide out*
"Dune? Fuggedabowdit!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Andune Dice Clay

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's in the box, bitch?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
You woke up this morning / Got yourself a lasgun.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

eyyyyyyy, I'm walkin' without rhythm here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dat spice gotta flow, you get me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Tell your friends I'm not greedy. I don't want all the spice. Just enough to wet my beak.