Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Since you were already willing to support racist torture apologist Sam Harris you and your girlfriend sound perfect for each other.

Tickets to that event cost hundreds of dollars, and the organizer is a tentacle of the Koch brothers’ dark money network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ccs posted:

When I went to set up an investment account at TD earlier this year the guy was talking about how so many people were putting their entire nest egg in weed stocks. Total insanity, but I guess it paid off for them.

Now if they only sold most of it and invested in Vanguard etfs...

I wanna smack every person who talks about weed stocks in the head. Not that they aren't gonna/have made money (they probably are), but 95% of the time the conversation feels like financial equivalent of a 16 year old telling you about about how amazing the Hunter S Thompson/Bukowski/Nietzche/Palhulniak book they just read was. Kill me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
My Dude, have you heard of Bitcoin™?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CRISPYBABY posted:

I wanna smack every person who talks about weed stocks in the head. Not that they aren't gonna/have made money (they probably are), but 95% of the time the conversation feels like financial equivalent of a 16 year old telling you about about how amazing the Hunter S Thompson/Bukowski/Nietzche/Palhulniak book they just read was. Kill me.

It's a tragedy that some weed company got TSE:CRON instead of Hootsuite.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I loathe the existence of the "YouTuber".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
YouTubing/Streaming is cool actually because it allows people to have a platform to make $$$ through media when their circumstances (ie not rich and/or connected enough to be on traditional media) prevent them from doing so otherwise.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Actually sir everything is terrible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eej posted:

YouTubing/Streaming is cool actually

Of all the nuclear takes that get posted in this thread, this one is the most atomic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eej posted:

YouTubing/Streaming is cool actually because it allows people to have a platform to make $$$ through media when their circumstances (ie not rich and/or connected enough to be on traditional media) prevent them from doing so otherwise.

This is good roughly 2% of the time and bad the remaining 98%.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Much like your posting.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This is good as he’ll

https://twitter.com/mikephager/status/1009521951742676992?s=21

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Weed stocks were loving awesome not because it's some massive financial game changer, but just because it was the most obvious hype bubble I've ever seen and they just printed money for a good chunk of time as long as you realized that every time the chart went vertical upwards, it was time to eject until the next lull.

In early days they had a huge volume of retail traders, so it was moving almost entirely on emotion and hype from news cycles and political milestones, felt super predictable.

So yeah, a lot like bitcoin honestly.

Just actually in proper financial markets so there was no risk of your exchange getting "hacked" and disappearing with all your money overnight.

A weed ETF could still be a decent long term hold, but at this point I suspect most of the fun and crazy moves are done with (I woke up to a +20% daily move on a stock one day, figured the app was glitching out, soon as I verified it wasn't I mashed the SELL button as hard and fast as possible) and it's just going to slowly start looking like any other established sector.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You don't need to know anything about investing, just buy weed stocks my friends.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's a tragedy that some weed company got TSE:CRON instead of Hootsuite.

I see you have heard of Cronos, partners in kosher weed ventures growing on a kibbutz

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

PT6A posted:

So cable?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Burn the CBC to the loving ground, gut their budget and use it to build a nice koi pond somewhere.

Look at this loving headline:

Pensions to be clawed back from overpaid Sears retirees

:fuckoff:

Oh also:

quote:

When Sears Canada closed its doors for good last fall, retirees were told the plan was underfunded by about $270 million. Pensions were to be slashed by nearly 20 per cent for an estimated 16,000 ex-Sears employees.

A letter obtained by CBC News from pension administrator Morneau Shepell says that for the past 10 months, retirees have been getting their full pensions.

Starting August, monthly pensions will drop from 80 to 70 per cent, the letter says.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://globalnews.ca/news/4287272/jordan-peterson-sues-wilfrid-laurier-for-defamation-following-ta-case/

Peterson is suing Wilfred Laurier because

quote:

Comments in the meeting included a comparison of Peterson’s speech to Hitler, and a comparison of his opinion to that of an anti-trans, anti-gay, anti-women white supremacist. They also called him “academically suspect” and said he exhibited “charlatanism,” according to the unproven Statement of Claim.

Despite the fact that the meeting was private, Peterson and his lawyers allege the faculty should have known the content of the meeting could have lasting consequences.

“Although the individual Defendants did not personally disseminate and broadcast it further… they could have reasonably anticipated that … [Shepherd] would inform others of what had occurred,” the statement reads.

Officials from Laurier say they will “vigorously defend” against the claim.

“Laurier remains committed to intellectual inquiry, critical reflection, scholarly integrity, academic freedom and freedom of expression while striving to be a supportive and inclusive community,” a statement from the University read.

The two professors named in the suit did not reply to a request for comment from Global News, nor did the Diversity and Equity office, of which the third individual was an employee.

Earlier this month, Levitt also filed a $3.6 million lawsuit on behalf of Shepherd against the same people – saying the school behaved negligently, leaving her unemployable in academia.

he hasn't been in the news much for the last month or two

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Ah, the staunch defenders of Free Speech, suing people who insult them.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I can't possibly fathom any planet where you get to claim a private conversation that someone else recorded and disseminated is defamatory, but Howard Levitt is representing both him and Lindsay Shepherd, so...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best case scenario is this will get tossed out as the bullshit it is, but Peterson isn't going to be hurt financially over this at all. His lobster cult will foot the bill to own the libs.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Happy national aboriginal day

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DynamicSloth posted:

Burn the CBC to the loving ground, gut their budget and use it to build a nice koi pond somewhere.

Look at this loving headline:

Pensions to be clawed back from overpaid Sears retirees

:fuckoff:

Oh also:

I mean the headline isn't wrong they were overpaid based on the guidelines Sears set out during the bankruptcy. People should be upset over the fact that companies pretty much have the power to claw back pensions whenever the feel like it and aren't obligated in any way to pay them out properly.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4287272/jordan-peterson-sues-wilfrid-laurier-for-defamation-following-ta-case/

Peterson is suing Wilfred Laurier because

he hasn't been in the news much for the last month or two

Shepherd couldn't tap into that sweet alt-right cashflow like everyone else so this is her last grasp at cashing out before she is reduced to just retweeting Peterson videos and having the same 30 guys reply "lol so true, are u single"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
The prime minister is apparently in town. I will update the thread on the status of his socks as the situation develops.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I work for Provincial Government agency (in Ontario) and today I got a memo saying we have to lose our office coffee and water coolers because of the spending freeze. Thanks Doug Ford!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Bucswabe posted:

I work for Provincial Government agency (in Ontario) and today I got a memo saying we have to lose our office coffee and water coolers because of the spending freeze. Thanks Doug Ford!

"Why the gently caress should civil servants get to hydrate themselves on the taxpayers' dime?"

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I can't wait until the bathrooms get bricked up.

"Do your bodily functions at home on your own time!"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bucswabe posted:

omg you're going to have to fill your water bottle from the tap like some kind of animal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I'm sure your office will be significantly more productive now that everyone is leaving work for half an hour at a time to get coffee instead of making it in the office kitchen and going back to their desk.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Someone's going to go to Canadian Tire tonight, buy a coffee machine and bam problem solved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zeeman posted:

"Why the gently caress should civil servants get to hydrate themselves on the taxpayers' dime?"

How is this even a thing? WTF are the carrying costs for a water cooler and a Mr. Coffee?

omg you're going to have to fill your water bottle from the tap like some kind of animal

What taps, why even have water service? Poop on your own time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bottled water is a loving scam, destroy all water coolers, cancel all water cooler contracts. I've seen some numbers for these water and coffee contracts in the private sector and its ridiculous, it's usually poo poo coffee anyways. Like my wife's work pays a company to maintain and stock their lovely free coffee machines but its trash coffee so most people bring their own. Also our tap water is more pure and better tasting than bottled but we're trucking in these huge stupid plastic bacteria farms across the country because people expect offices to have bottled water that tastes like stale plastic.

That said the totals for the whole office is like 10% of a middle manger's yearly bonus so it's peanuts, it's just stupid and wasteful. Spend a little more and get good coffee and pay a fraction for a nice built-in water filter to filter out all the impurities that don't exist in our tap water.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

flakeloaf posted:

Someone's going to go to Canadian Tire tonight, buy a coffee machine and bam problem solved

Which is exactly what Doug wants, yeah. Money out of your pockets instead of Joe and Seferina Hotdog tax payers paying for your piece of poo poo Alterra coffee fucker.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do you trust the taps in an old rear end government building?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Doug! Doug! Doug!

(Sung to the tune of Bill Nye the Science Guy)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
My old work was just outside Winnipeg so they only had well water so they rented a couple water coolers and had a couple Bunn coffee machines and bought Starbucks coffee pouches for them. I think at most for 100 employees we were spending like 300 bucks a month lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
E: meh

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Helsing posted:

Since you were already willing to support racist torture apologist Sam Harris you and your girlfriend sound perfect for each other.

I thought Sam Harris was just an internet atheist with a podcast? I haven't followed him at all since my own internet atheist days like ten years ago. I guess a lot of those guys veered off into Islamophobia and Western supremacy disguised as rationalism so it's not surprising that he would do the same.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bucswabe posted:

I’m honestly surprised you had coffee. When I worked at DND or consulted with feds the government employees always had to pay for the lovely coffee pot coffee.

It’s a completely inane decision. It costs nothing and helps people be productive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is Doug's plan to boost the fitness levels of our civil service. If they really want coffee they'll have to get up and go downstairs to the bottom of their building or have to travel down the street somewhere. Extra health bonus for anyone working at Queen's Park. It's in the middle of an actual park so the next closest building is hundreds of meters away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Bottled water is a loving scam, destroy all water coolers, cancel all water cooler contracts. I've seen some numbers for these water and coffee contracts in the private sector and its ridiculous, it's usually poo poo coffee anyways. Like my wife's work pays a company to maintain and stock their lovely free coffee machines but its trash coffee so most people bring their own. Also our tap water is more pure and better tasting than bottled but we're trucking in these huge stupid plastic bacteria farms across the country because people expect offices to have bottled water that tastes like stale plastic.

That said the totals for the whole office is like 10% of a middle manger's yearly bonus so it's peanuts, it's just stupid and wasteful. Spend a little more and get good coffee and pay a fraction for a nice built-in water filter to filter out all the impurities that don't exist in our tap water.

Non government but I feel like we probably have one of "lovely free coffee machines" and for trash coffee it's passable enough given I'm just going to put sugar and milk in it. Sure has hell beats spending a few dollars on coffee every day.

Vintersorg posted:

Do you trust the taps in an old rear end government building?

There was just some headlines a few months ago about some possible lead problems in a DoD building. (They took over some old tech campus, some old building possibly had some stale water problem or something.)