Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2 does. After a certain point in the story you can make a Support Partner. Which is just a tiny person who hangs out in your room and you can tell them to go do things for you. So if you ever get a mission to like, go collect fifty dinosaur bones you can make them go do it.

Huh that's really cool, as are all the other examples people gave earlier! A shame it's not come up more often I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah BL2 has a one-point skill at the middle and end of each tree which changes something big. Doesn't give you another button to press but they are way better than a stat increase and some are worth building around entirely.

Getting no skill points until level 5 is lame though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It'd be far better if you got your main skill at level 2. They could even integrate it into the tutorial a bit too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thing dragging Nier Automata down is that Yoko Taro didn't announce a sequel yet

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In Fallout: New Vegas, Caesar's Legion has commanders called Centurions. The fiction behind these guys is that they build their armor out of that of defeated enemies because they're badasses. And indeed, their armor is scavenged from different bits (on the left shoulder is a piece of the Brotherhood of Steel's armor, on the right side is a bit of NCR armor, and so on.) But there's a problem with that, which extends to a lot of video games that use a "scavenged" aesthetic in general. There's actually only one model for the Centurion armor, so every single one of them took the same pieces of an enemy's stuff and arranged them the exact same way? It undercuts the story that these particular people are supposed to have, particularly at the end of the game when you're fighting a bunch at once.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm fairly certain this has been posted here, but gently caress it, it's gloriously dumb.

Partway through Darksiders 2, you travel to the Land of the Dead (which is not the afterlife) to meet with the King of the Dead (who is not Death, you're Death).

In order to gain an audience you must first defeat his champion.

In order to summon the champion, you must first collect three horns to put on a statue. So off you trundle to collect three horns to summon the guardian to get an audience with the King.

Once you've done that, the King says that he is unable to help you without his three lieutenants who have gone missing. So off you trundle, to three different dungeons in three far corners of the land, to collect the three Lieutenants.

The first two are fairly straightforward, but the third is unable to return, because he's busy trying to collect three lost souls that have also wandered off. So off you trundle all around the dungeon to get the three lost souls so the third lieutenant will come with you so the King of the Dead will open a portal to the next place on your journey.

Once you get all three lieutenants and bring them back to the King, he calls them a bunch of traitors for leaving him, and kills them on the spot before opening the portal for you. Turns out he never needed them in the first place!

This just reminds me of how Wind Waker had two dungeons at the beginning and they psyche you up for another one for the third pearl but nope it's just hanging out over at your home island. Western games have a bad habit of padding games out just for the sake of game length.

StandardVC10 posted:

In Fallout: New Vegas, Caesar's Legion has commanders called Centurions. The fiction behind these guys is that they build their armor out of that of defeated enemies because they're badasses. And indeed, their armor is scavenged from different bits (on the left shoulder is a piece of the Brotherhood of Steel's armor, on the right side is a bit of NCR armor, and so on.) But there's a problem with that, which extends to a lot of video games that use a "scavenged" aesthetic in general. There's actually only one model for the Centurion armor, so every single one of them took the same pieces of an enemy's stuff and arranged them the exact same way? It undercuts the story that these particular people are supposed to have, particularly at the end of the game when you're fighting a bunch at once.
this is where you use your imagination. New Vegas is a fabulous game held back by a truly awful engine. The bit in the DLC where you have to communicate with a mute companion is a low point in a otherwise excellent dlc.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lord Lambeth posted:

This just reminds me of how Wind Waker had two dungeons at the beginning and they psyche you up for another one for the third pearl but nope it's just hanging out over at your home island. Western games have a bad habit of padding games out just for the sake of game length.

I mean the difference here is that Zelda dungeons are usually quality content and they don’t suffer for having more. Wind Waker had that content cut out of it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition recently and it's not too bad but there's some pretty poo poo things. The movement feels sorta clumsy, I can't seem to customise the AI nearly enough, the lock-on camera makes me miserable and the run speed is too drat slow. Also I remember the combat in DA:O having a reasonable amount of room for strategy but in this one it's mostly just spamming things on CD.

Oh yeah and normally you can tell your party to interact with interactables while your controlled character does other stuff but for this one timed rescue objectyive I just couldn't, that was cool.

I miss not having to sit through a miserable final bossfight to get to mapping in PoE, and I should really go buy the handful of cheap uniques I need to get a couple builds going but :effort:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord Lambeth posted:

WW is not exactly an ideal example to use for a game lacking padding, lol.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

And it’s funny when people say Majora’s mask didn’t have enough dungeons, when it had 8 fully involved dungeons, it’s just four of them had the usual default boss fight. That was a tightly-planned game, man.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gitro posted:

I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition recently and it's not too bad but there's some pretty poo poo things. The movement feels sorta clumsy, I can't seem to customise the AI nearly enough, the lock-on camera makes me miserable and the run speed is too drat slow. Also I remember the combat in DA:O having a reasonable amount of room for strategy but in this one it's mostly just spamming things on CD.

Oh yeah and normally you can tell your party to interact with interactables while your controlled character does other stuff but for this one timed rescue objectyive I just couldn't, that was cool.

I miss not having to sit through a miserable final bossfight to get to mapping in PoE, and I should really go buy the handful of cheap uniques I need to get a couple builds going but :effort:

Inquisition felt more like a diablo game for me. Just make the biggest explosion and you'll win.

John Murdoch posted:

I kinda give the triforce search a pass because it's definitely part of the core boat mechanic but uh yeah I don't think I beat the game without a guide.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And it’s funny when people say Majora’s mask didn’t have enough dungeons, when it had 8 fully involved dungeons, it’s just four of them had the usual default boss fight. That was a tightly-planned game, man.

Five of the dungeons had boss fights. King Ikana was a pretty good fight.

Speaking of Majora’s Mask, the thing dragging down the 3D remake is the Twinmold fight and the water maze in the Moon. The second worm in the Twinmold fight takes way too many hits from Giant Link to go down, and Giant Link's range is far too short. It took me the better part of two in-game days to finish that fight. The water maze is so incredibly aggravating because between the camera's fisheye effect and the weird breaching mechanics, it's very hard to get onto the platforms, and missing the platform means you go back to the start of the maze, and have to watch the "grate opening" animation over and over. It's terribly tedious.

Inco has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Jun 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dying Light's plot is so freaking dumb that I'm going to have to start skipping cutscenes for the first time so I can enjoy the game, ughhh.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think it's very petty to include it as a thing dragging a game down since it's literally the end, but the final mission of Dying Light if loving terrible. You spend the entire game thinking of creative ways to use your environment and tools to avoid or fight your foes and then they decide your last hurrah should be you running through a set path, avoiding enemies like a scripted CoD sequence and making pixel-perfect jumps. And the final boss is a QTE sequence and the devs had the loving nerve to pull the "I won't kill you"*turns back to the villain and they lunge at the protag who then kills him*" moral victory completely straight.

99% of the game is spectacular but, goddamn, that 1% is balls.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The expansion apologises for the main plot by rendering all your victories irrelevant.

The sequel hopes to improve by having Chris Avellone on board and adding an element of choice & consequence to the plot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's a shame Avellone has proven himself to be quite a hack (and possibly alt-right friendly given he seems to love posting on forums dominated by those types.) His name attached to a game now makes me mostly dread a ton of extremely dry exposition and the exact same plot beats (ex. "the truth is in the middle because all sides are actually evil/incompetent" being rammed down your throat) rearranged slightly.

StandardVC10 posted:

I didn't notice it much with the centurions, but the ghouls with the street sign armor in Lonesome Road stand out a lot more due to how colorful their stuff is.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jun 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a shame Avellone has proven himself to be quite a hack (and possibly alt-right friendly given he seems to love posting on forums dominated by those types.) His name attached to a game now makes me mostly dread a ton of extremely dry exposition and the exact same plot beats (ex. "the truth is in the middle because all sides are actually evil/incompetent" being rammed down your throat) rearranged slightly.

This is precisely where I am re: "excitement" towards Dying Light 2. At least, hey, he'll get a setting where apparently everyone is evil, because the local humanitarian aid group decided to screw over the survivors because who cares, let's weaponize this zombie virus, we're the smartest people in the world.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of Mass Effect, what fiction out there had villains who planned simply to sterilize the opposition and then outlive them? I know its happened in real-life but I don't want to be depressed in video-game thread.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I mean the difference here is that Zelda dungeons are usually quality content and they don’t suffer for having more. Wind Waker had that content cut out of it.

Yeah, another real dungeon would have been welcome. Wind Waker is also maybe not a game I would point to as an example of games with no padding.

Gitro posted:

DA:O is definitely an RPG where the strategy/challenge comes from configuring your party before battle rather than executing during battle. And of course it's easy enough that on default difficulty you don't have to put much thought into that, even. Most RPGs fall into that category, really.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Jun 20, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Mass Effect, what fiction out there had villains who planned simply to sterilize the opposition and then outlive them? I know its happened in real-life but I don't want to be depressed in video-game thread.

You can do exactly that in your empire in Stellaris?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I think it's very petty to include it as a thing dragging a game down since it's literally the end, but the final mission of Dying Light if loving terrible. You spend the entire game thinking of creative ways to use your environment and tools to avoid or fight your foes and then they decide your last hurrah should be you running through a set path, avoiding enemies like a scripted CoD sequence and making pixel-perfect jumps. And the final boss is a QTE sequence and the devs had the loving nerve to pull the "I won't kill you"*turns back to the villain and they lunge at the protag who then kills him*" moral victory completely straight.

99% of the game is spectacular but, goddamn, that 1% is balls.

Yeah, climbing the final building is really stupid because they couldn't figure out a way to keep you from skipping chunks with the grappling hook so whenever you try to use it you get a message about how you're "too tired."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

uh is rpgcodex really alt right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

You can do exactly that in your empire in Stellaris?

Given the context I think they want to shoot villains who would do such a thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is precisely where I am re: "excitement" towards Dying Light 2. At least, hey, he'll get a setting where apparently everyone is evil, because the local humanitarian aid group decided to screw over the survivors because who cares, let's weaponize this zombie virus, we're the smartest people in the world.

I wouldn't expect anything else from a zombie game, Dying Light has its good moments in its quests but pretty much every decent person you met ended up dead or just vanished from the plot, looking at you Brecken, Mr Leader of the Good Guys who just vanishes when you hit Old Town.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What really grinds my gears is the use of ALL CAPS for regular boring text. It's patently clear to me many game designers have zero background in UIUX beyond having played a bunch of games. ALL CAPS is really unreadable for long strings of text, especially when we're talking about things like dialogue.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

uh is rpgcodex really alt right?

From what folks around here say, they became so “free speech-tolerant” that many neonazis complete with proudly-displayed swastikas found a home there since they wouldn’t be run off for being nazis

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I almost sure the Tau do this in Wh40k but I was never a scholar of its lore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samuringa posted:

I almost sure the Tau do this in Wh40k but I was never a scholar of its lore.

Its in Dawn of War, one of their victory cutscenes, but its not talked about in the original fluff as a thing they do.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mokinokaro posted:

I have my own problems with Avellone but it's pretty dumb to act like making factions with realistic pitfalls and flaws is trying to be the truth is in the middle, like would you prefer if one side was the very picture of virtue and the other side was literal hellspawn? Trying to make the factions more balanced and not totally obvious good guys or bad guys in every way is good RPG writing since it gives the player wider amounts of choice without feeling forced down one route, but it's not like he doesn't have any perspective, you'd have to already be a fascist to play New Vegas and decide that the Legion was even equal to the NCR in most ways.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In general the less I know about a person the more I enjoy their work. I certainly enjoyed Frasier and Mel Gibson movies more back in the 90s

Notable exception: anything by Tom Francis

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Convex posted:

In general the less I know about a person the more I enjoy their work. I certainly enjoyed Frasier and Mel Gibson movies more back in the 90s

Notable exception: anything by Tom Francis

Funny, whenever I read any he wrote in PCgamer or such in the past I really couldn't stand him at all and it put me off getting his games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Half-Life 2. You and Alyx are the youngest humans alive courtesy of the Combine putting up a technobabble energy field that prevents fertilization from happening in humans.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

khwarezm posted:

I have my own problems with Avellone but it's pretty dumb to act like making factions with realistic pitfalls and flaws is trying to be the truth is in the middle, like would you prefer if one side was the very picture of virtue and the other side was literal hellspawn? Trying to make the factions more balanced and not totally obvious good guys or bad guys in every way is good RPG writing since it gives the player wider amounts of choice without feeling forced down one route, but it's not like he doesn't have any perspective, you'd have to already be a fascist to play New Vegas and decide that the Legion was even equal to the NCR in most ways.

It's less making factions with realistic pitfalls and flaws and more that a narrative device that he's run into the ground when creating stories is presenting good and bad guys and then, whoa, what if the bad guys are actually good and the good guys are actually bad??? Planescape Torment has a Lawful Good angel as one of the three big bad guys, KotOR 2 is all about how the Jedi are just as bad as the Sith if you really think about in maaaan, Alpha Protocol has the cool international law enforcement agency actually be the bad guys, Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road is all about how your blameless blank slate Courier character was actually directly responsible for a massive calamity all along, and every other quest in Pillars of Eternity had a reveal halfway through where the person you thought was bad be secretly good and the good guy be secretly bad.

It's "subversion" that has become so predictable that it is no longer actually subversive.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just picked up Wolfenstein 2 and it’s pretty annoying that you’re not invincible while doing the very long melee kill animation. I guess that’s what I get for trying to go stealth in a game where you can dual wield Gatling gun shotguns .

Also the enigma machine mini game is very obtuse and not explained well at all, you only have about 10 seconds to figure it out, then you get the super annoying buzzer and lose a card I had to kill Nazis to get. I earned those enigma cards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Erotic Wakes posted:

Alpha Protocol has the cool international law enforcement agency actually be the bad guys

"Spy is betrayed by their organisation and has to work against / outside it" is a genre staple though, to the extent that it's the basis for several James Bond films and most of the Mission Impossible films.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Spy is betrayed by their organisation and has to work against / outside it" is a genre staple though, to the extent that it's the basis for several James Bond films and most of the Mission Impossible films.

In addition to this its pretty lol to me that 'Cool international law enforcement agency' being revealed to be a dangerously corrupt, unnaccountable organisation controlled by larger corporate interests is apparently a real eye-roller.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Erotic Wakes posted:

KotOR 2 is all about how the Jedi are just as bad as the Sith if you really think about in maaaan, Alpha Protocol has the cool international law enforcement agency actually be the bad guys, Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road is all about how your blameless blank slate Courier character was actually directly responsible for a massive calamity all along.

What, some of these are pretty :thunk: reads.

They're not "just as bad" but the jedi are rigid idiots to the point of wrecking themselves. Woah the secretive super CIA agency could be pretty bad people in actuality? Also Lonesome Road is more about Ulysses being unhinged and obsessed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Erotic Wakes posted:

It's "subversion" that has become so predictable that it is no longer actually subversive.

This, a thousand times over. There are genres where double-crosses and philosophical moral quandaries are great additions to whatever sidequest you're padding your game out with, but its exhausting and totally not fun when it's every single quest, or even in every single game. We get it, things aren't black and white, that's a great message to shove down my throat when I'm trying to unwind being a monster-slaying badass/futuristic cop/space wizard/actual cape-wearing superhero/totally "normal dude" in the wrong circumstances.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

What, some of these are pretty :thunk: reads.

They're not "just as bad" but the jedi are rigid idiots to the point of wrecking themselves. Woah the secretive super CIA agency could be pretty bad people in actuality? Also Lonesome Road is more about Ulysses being unhinged and obsessed.

that post was dumb as all hell but Lonesome Road definitely wanted us to believe Ulysses had a point and definitely wasn't well-written enough to make that pass muster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

food court bailiff posted:

This, a thousand times over. There are genres where double-crosses and philosophical moral quandaries are great additions to whatever sidequest you're padding your game out with, but its exhausting and totally not fun when it's every single quest, or even in every single game. We get it, things aren't black and white, that's a great message to shove down my throat when I'm trying to unwind being a monster-slaying badass/futuristic cop/space wizard/actual cape-wearing superhero/totally "normal dude" in the wrong circumstances.

That's really dumb though, you're literally saying, 'I expect this Star Wars game to be safe and dull and not really challenge anything about the preconceptions that seem to be built into the universe'. Avellone, like I said, has his problems, but the fact that he likes to mess around with player expectations and assumptions and take a more critical look at things like your average spy thriller or fantasy universe is the last thing I'd criticize about him, I cannot think of another fantasy game (or honestly fantasy story in general) that enthralled me more than Planescape Torment because of that.