Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

china bot posted:

:same:, what will be the dated bedtime reference for this generation's children?

Whatta you mean you don’t want to go to bed? Just ‘cause Uncle Jared from Subway is staying with us a while is not sensible. Your Uncle Aatrek promised to let you scootch over to the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked this up today at Goodwill. Seems appropriate:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

wa27 posted:

That's a score if I ever saw one! Please post any notable content about snake lore, faith healing, and hog dressing that you learn while reading it.

Another Space Cat re-issue arrived:

The last two are supposed to be published in October/ November.

The new job is stealing from my time to seek out and read new books, but I've started working my way through this:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

That's a score if I ever saw one! Please post any notable content about snake lore, faith healing, and hog dressing that you learn while reading it.

Here's some good Snake Lore. This book uses more apostrophes than I've ever seen.

Most of the how-to sections are written well by the author, but there's a good number of sections like Snake Lore and Hunting Stories that are just long quotes from the people the author lived with.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hoop snakes have been my favorite weird cryptid/folklore monster for a while, but I only now learned about the death spike. God bless.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The new job is stealing from my time to seek out and read new books, but I've started working my way through this:

Is there any discussion so far on any religious links?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

wa27 posted:

Here's some good Snake Lore. This book uses more apostrophes than I've ever seen.

Most of the how-to sections are written well by the author, but there's a good number of sections like Snake Lore and Hunting Stories that are just long quotes from the people the author lived with.

Snakes are venomous not pois-

Oh forget it they used the word "yaller'un" :eng99:

Seriously though that's a really neat book.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is there any discussion so far on any religious links?

If you're looking for info on that, I highly recommend this book:

I can't remember if I posted it and don't have time right now to find my copy and take a picture, but it's a good one. Sort of hard to find, but totally worth the search.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Foxfire is genuinely fantastic, great find!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Someone recommended that foxfire book to me once but I couldn’t remember the title to order it, nice find. I’m very into that kinda poo poo lately.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

I love these books. There is a whole series of them!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Barudak posted:

That game introduced EX moves to Street Fighter and fighting games as a whole while Precious the novel uh

I really liked that girl in “The Blind Side.”

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

wa27 posted:

I've gotta know: what's the publication/copyright date on that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I've gotta know: what's the publication/copyright date on that?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I just picked up a few new books.

Here's one I've had in my Amazon cart forever after reading the old GBS thread about T-Nugz:

One about Christopher Dorner:

One about the Killdozer rampage:

And a couple of comic book compilations:

Not a book, but I happened to find this Pokey toy signed by the late creator of Gumby, Art Clokey, and figured I would post a picture of it. He's right that Pokey is cool.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
He would say that :rolleyes:

That's cool though I'm p jealous honestly

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I need to find my copy of A Gronking To Remember

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Here's a book my dad found and gave to me. It's a 1924 printing of an 1882 book:

On masturbation:

On impure thoughts in young girls:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ha that reminded me my parents had a copy of "everything you ever wanted to know about sex*. (*But were afraid to ask.) I bet it's pretty cringey nowadays but was progressive for it's time.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
My Dad's got an old copy of E.W. Coles Funny Picture Book written back in the gold rush

I think my favourite page has to be the virgin whipping machine vs the chad gentle persuader

Also, the 700 girls per hour scolding machine

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Great thread. I move around a lot, so holding on to books is a luxury I cannot afford.

This is one that comes with me everywhere.

The Art of Soul-Winning (1957) Murray W. Downey

It is a textbook written for children to aid them in converting strangers to Christianity. The importance of which is illustrated better by the author than I ever could:

He needed two whole chapters to dismiss Jehova's Witnesses. Guess he was a big fan of birthdays.

TEST MONDAY!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like the alliteration in the chapter names for Part Two. Everyone not instantly down with Christ must be branded with his C, I guess?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Speaking of disasters, this is a funny and interesting book about the making of The Room. I know that there was a James Franco movie made about it, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near as good as this book and have no intention of ever seeing it.

The movie is actually quite well done and definitely worth seeing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

The movie is actually quite well done and definitely worth seeing.

Its a shame he turned out to be such a creepo because James Franco's Tommy Wiseau was close to Oscar worthy in how spot on it was.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Matlack Radio posted:

Great thread. I move around a lot, so holding on to books is a luxury I cannot afford.

This is one that comes with me everywhere.

The Art of Soul-Winning (1957) Murray W. Downey

It is a textbook written for children to aid them in converting strangers to Christianity. The importance of which is illustrated better by the author than I ever could:

He needed two whole chapters to dismiss Jehova's Witnesses. Guess he was a big fan of birthdays.

TEST MONDAY!

Ha Ha Ha! I want to read that. Copies are crazy expensive on ebay and amazon for some reason, but I'm going to keep my eyes open when I hit the used book stores.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here's a silly Star Wars book I loved as a kid:

It came with a cassette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJllPYMyzs

I'm listening to it as I post this! The cut-rate C3PO and Princess Leia are fun.

Here are a few more Star Wars books:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Reprint of an issue of Emma Goldman's magazine Mother Earth:

Communiques from former Zapatista leader Subcomandante Marcos:

Willeford!

Batman!

Fun Fact: Garbage Pail Kids were created by Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist Art Spiegelman. I loved these things when I was a kid. I have a complete set of the original cards in a box under my bed, which would definitely impress my eight-year-old self. Other people? Not so much...

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only book that has been written about NoMeansNo. It's not very good, which is a shame, because Nomeansno is one of my favorite bands.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I used to know this guy when I lived in Portland. He was a hilarious weirdo and lived in a box truck that ran on kitchen grease. Nonetheless, his stuff is good and I recommend it.

I like Ghost World.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here's a silly Star Wars book I loved as a kid:

It came with a cassette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJllPYMyzs

I'm listening to it as I post this! The cut-rate C3PO and Princess Leia are fun.

Here are a few more Star Wars books:

These look extremely familiar but I think I had a different one growing up. I may have to see if I can find it online now.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I used to know this guy when I lived in Portland. He was a hilarious weirdo and lived in a box truck that ran on kitchen grease. Nonetheless, his stuff is good and I recommend it.

I like Ghost World.

Dan Clowes owns

I have every issue of Eightball and the anthology books

My grandmother gave me this book in 1976 for my ninth birthday and I still have it.

Super fun to read stories about hauntings, cool historical stuff, and the last chapter is about what they (in 1976) think the future will be like

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Crap Hound is magazine that consists of nothing but clip-art on various themes compiled by Sean Tejaratchi of Liartown USA fame.

It's interesting, but has a cult following and small print runs, so back issues tend to sell for stupid amounts of money. A bunch of old issues just went back in to print by this place, so you may want to grab them if you're into his stuff:

https://buyolympia.com/Artist/Sean+Tejaratchi

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ok it actually was the Empire Strikes Back one I believe. It's on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0rxQIiblzA

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Crank was a really funny, well-written, and incredibly angry self-published magazine written by Jeff Koyen in the mid-to-late 90's. If you ever see copies of this, grab them.

This sums up the magazine pretty well:

The last issue (#7) was mail-order only, and included a reprint of the first three issues. It had an aluminum cover and was bound with rope and duct tape.

Jeff Koyen went on to be an editor at the New York Press, but resigned rather than pull an article by Matt Taibbi making fun of the death of Pope John Paul II.

Matt Taibbi seems like a shitbag of a person, but he's a good writer.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Motorbooty is another classic self-published magazine.

I love this dumb comic:

Some of the Motorbooty people did this earlier magazine:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Found is a cool magazine that collects stuff people find on the street.

If you're into that sort of thing, it looks like it's still being published:

http://store.quackmedia.com/found-magazine/

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Steinbeck is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Keith Atherton posted:

the last chapter is about what they (in 1976) think the future will be like
Any particularly good/humorous examples you could share?