Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
haha you said balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Some of the pirates are bad at their job. I was showing a friend how to build his own ship when I noticed my shipyard was taking damage. 4 guys were salvaging our ship so we took arms to defend our ship. After killing them a couple of times I tried to get our ship moving but we got caught on a tree and building so I dropped the ship back into our yard and furiously repaired. They kept taking the yard down, we put it up. It was like a 30 min battle, their ship was lying in wait. Right when I thought we could get away I couldn't move the ship forward because the gas tank was gone, at that moment we were out of the bubble and we got pounded by cannon balls.

As the enemy salvaged, we also salvaged. Between a few more death exchanges they got away with some stuff. I was able to put the frame back on the yard and re build. Overall I give it a 2 out of 10 pirate booties. Slam Whales is more effective at doing the pirate game.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I imagine this was after I logged off. Next time call us.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
This sounds like American Pickers, but it is the same stuff being picked over every episode.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Aeka on the flip side you said you wanted to introduce him to the game. So I guess your friend got to see what mostly happens in T1.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It was T2 actually. I didn't want to bug ya since I knew we were zones apart. Unless you're down to beacon, in which it would have been futile without a ship.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This is a fine video and I hope to see more.

Alliances are coming soon!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

A full aluminum/cedar boat with ~300 engine power at ~1200 weight is a beautiful thing and easily punched through the air wall. I wish the knowledge grind wasn't so slow though.

Anything in particular to watch out for in t2 zones? Feels like there's more mantas around and most of the island are smaller, but more vertical.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

sushibandit posted:

A full aluminum/cedar boat with ~300 engine power at ~1200 weight is a beautiful thing and easily punched through the air wall. I wish the knowledge grind wasn't so slow though.

Anything in particular to watch out for in t2 zones? Feels like there's more mantas around and most of the island are smaller, but more vertical.

Mantas are angrier, as are the beetle bug things when you chop trees

forge
Feb 26, 2006
By the time you are in T2 you will have wanted to pickup the power generator, cannon shells, swivel shells, and torch. Those are the big ones to make sure you get access to. All three besides the torch can be picked up for free by buying the first tier engine, cannon, or swivel gun. Torch needs to be found imo since most islands have caves that you miss out on unless you have it. In T2 you need to keep an eye out for medium, and large panels. Most importantly is the compass in T2 but rare. Of course the two atlas upgrades in T2, Generator and Enhancer.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Steam summer sale has Worlds Adrift at $22.49 which is probably as cheap as you are ever going to find it within the next couple of years at least. So if anyone was on the fence now is the time.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

0WCLM-IGR0Z-0Q0QI

code for new outfit that came in newsletter, don't need one, also game's 10% off on steam

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Took the plunge. With the servers renamed, which is the goon hangout?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Capucla

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Confirmed best stream snipers in the game.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/hunt-the-dev-capulca-event/

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276216595?t=02h24m15s

No Flight Passes.

forge fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 22, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Been taking a break to handle life. I'll be back on very soon!! I'm getting withdrawals.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The roadmap gets updated every week or so, check it out if you haven't seen it lately:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/roadmap/

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 28, 2018

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

How in god's name do you get to the 5 databanks in the drat giant lighthouse in H7? Can't get in from the top, or the bottom, and the only window is barred. Google and youtube have nothing helpful either.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

sushibandit posted:

How in god's name do you get to the 5 databanks in the drat giant lighthouse in H7? Can't get in from the top, or the bottom, and the only window is barred. Google and youtube have nothing helpful either.

There's a crack near the top, you go in the side. You go around a chamber to a false treasure room with a big statue. Then go behind that statue, go all the way down, you've now gotten really angry as you scan the data nodes.

e: ps there's another big secret on that island but it's hidden on the side / underside of the voxel terrain itself and pretty handy if you need supplies.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 30, 2018

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
TT forced me to get this game, Can i get into the good discord same name as this one.

Next stop the moon!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ditched the large freighter hulk I was using initially and built this nice little explorer - not innovative, I know, but I'm fond of it.

I've also hit my schematic limit, so I figure I should cull some out - I have a lot of different wings and engines. Not sure how to figure which are the ones worth keeping.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Get rid of the lowest power ones?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Wasn't sure it was that easy - would I care about any other stat?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Resiliency is the second most important stat, then spinup or pivot for wings. Overheat isn’t in the game yet I don’t think

forge
Feb 26, 2006
How to win worlds adrift.

Engines
power > resil > fuel > spin > overheat

Wings
power > resil > pivot, ideally 50/50 power/resil

Canons
nothing under 20 resil
power > fire > overheat > all

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Once overheat goes in, I suspect it will be a pretty important stat. Spinup will still be absolute crap tho.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

e: ps there's another big secret on that island pretty handy if you need supplies.

Wow, that's a lot of rubble. Must be ~50 piles down there. Nice.

doritto
May 12, 2013

played this game for a really long time today, killed two people with the pistol to build my first ship, and ended up stealing someone elses ship that they left docked later for engine upgrades. lots of fun, people are everywhere.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Believe it or not there were way more people playing just 3 weeks ago. Pop dropped off some, but actually seems more stable now. So there is a increased population of players who are sticking with it. Problem is that population needs to be around 3k more.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Got killed by a ship of griefers in T2 trying to shake me down for fuel. I think I know why the population's dropping.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

Got killed by a ship of griefers in T2 trying to shake me down for fuel. I think I know why the population's dropping.

Do you think it's the art style or how the game is presented that made you think this was a big pve love fest? I'm pretty certain the open PVP and 100% loss mechanics informed me that this is a deceptively harsh game.

What would you have personally preferred was the outcome of this encounter?

I'm actually carry curious, so please let me know?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
While possible, soloing this game is not recommended. Even having one other person on your ship helps a lot.

Until crew revivers are added, the simplest method for grouping is reserving one character for your personal ship or bank and registering the others to allied ships. Then allies do the same for your ship, and there's always something to do. Give a shout on our discord and crew up with people that have similar playtimes.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 6, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Normally I wouldn't care to post this.. but lets skew their polls completely with some good old SA.

Take the survey here..
https://bossastudios.typeform.com/to/LW6rFJ

forge
Feb 26, 2006
https://www.worldsadrift.com/captains-log/captains-log-community-cloud-council/

Two goons are on the CCC now. At some point we'll need to vote to stay on. This reminds me basically of the AO round table, except this one is going to be a popularity contest at some point. So let's see if I can get them to focus on content and player retention instead of PvP for what will be a very limited time. I would imagine it's probably a good 50/50 split from what I know of some of the current members based on their past WA history. After three months are up, this will get very interesting.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
My hopes for this game just went up.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

As your candidate for skylord I promise more manta murder

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Needs more than 1 basic weapon. Needs collector+repair+grapple upgrades. Needs snap-to-angle in the shipbuilder, and a "full reset" option as well. Was fun to putz around for a handful of hours in, but research grinding and flying around to a bunch of islands with hardly anyone else around to see gets old after a while.

And the performance, even on a supercomputer, is pretty awful at times.

Will be interesting to see where they are in a ~year.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
https://www.worldsadrift.com/captai...a-skull-throne/

Talks about a ton of new upcoming content. Lots of PvE related poo poo. New Hybrid servers with PvE so we can take it slow at the start and PvP at the end.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Look how weak this change log sounds its padded with hella fluff:
Lots of balancing for new food – Update 27
Cipher and schematic salvaging design – Update 27
Working on the Ancient revival chamber in the Tutorial Zone
Working on the *NEW CULTURE* Chest
Modelling and texturing crashed ship interior from the Tutorial Zone
*NEW CULTURE* compass
Tutorial system for Tutorial Zone
Investigating build and load test issues
Fixing various issues falling out of Alliances configuration
Implemented new projectile system, for island turrets
Implemented dyed cloth, and clothing dye feature
Allowing schematics to use specific item instead of only checking category
Firefighting on live server lag issue
Working on bringing turrets from Island Creator into the game
Added a chair and a table and a shelf
Working on data and lore for the *NEW CULTURE* Chest
Working on the guitar system
Finished stove implementation, started working on guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
The problem with this game is its an excellent design and vision but they made another mmo with the 90%/10% problem alotta games coming out lately have. Take the recently released Rend. Its a "rust/ark" like game but solved the core gameplay problems those have by dividing it into a RvRvR game. Instead of the Rust/Ark problem of the most powerful group being incentivized to scoop up a majority of competent players into a "mega-alliance" and lord over the remaining 40% of smaller pop groups and solo players by working towards common goals and achieving them quickly it forced everyone into teams. It also solved the off-line raiding problem by having round the clock players on your team. 90% of the game is polished and visionary in design but they just forgot the last 10% of balance and design that is needed to make an mmo or multiplayer game playable and the parts they forgot or failed to plan for/fix killed the population. The tech progression leads to rapid spikes in power, the side that gets the better bow by the first war leverages it to set the other sides back so far they basically abandon the game and the conclusion of a month long battle is known by the first day. Instead players make their own fun by being dicks to team mates, dismantlement of their teams own base etc.

Worlds Adrift has the exact same problem. They have a visionary design at a high level but forgot a fun core gameplay loop and the last 10% of balancing and game design and meaningful systems of interaction with other players. The idea was that having a larger group would mean more safety and shared information when exploring an island, the downside/balance would be treasure chests would be split between the group and resources would also be depleted more quickly. This made sense at a high level but after you have your first t4 any ship part the ship parts on t1-3 are basically worthless and you only need one person in the group to have the schematic anyway. Resources are so abundant on some islands it doesn't matter if you have 10 people mining it can still take 15 minutes to strip. The parts for ships just go from crap->not good-> ok -> best. Once you have a decent power/resilience/fuel efficient engine and cannon you are basically set and the only thing left to do is shoot other boats until you become bored. So not only did the idea of exploration by large groups not pan out correctly the actual exploration quickly becomes tedious and unrewarding. Additionally in these construct your own design multiplayer games ship design quickly coalesces into an accepted optimal build which currently is the inverted pyramid of engines, leading to that aspect of the game to be boring.

The problem is instead of doing all this work on furniture, cosmetics, nonsense they need to instead focus on re-balancing the game and providing any sort of fuckin content at all before all the pop bleeds off in a way that requires the least time and resources to implement. Factions and territory control and territory control are nebulous grand ideas for a road map but by the time they get to that and if they are implemented in an interesting way it may be to little to late.

First ship parts need to be re-balanced. The overall power range should be compressed. Then diversification of parts is desperately needed to create trade offs in ships roles and purpose. The giant gently caress off jet turbine should not be 10x as fuel efficient as the lil 2 stroke prop engine and engines should vary more then rectangular box shaped and slightly large box.

For an example, There could be 3 t4 engines.Tier 3 would have one engine is a modern prop engine that is a jack of all trades but best at none and all around the "most versatile" , while tier 4 would have specialty engines such as an engine that would be the jet turbine that has a ton of power but a very long spin up time and sucks a ton of fuel. There could be a heavy prop engine that uses lots of fuel and takes longer to spint up also and has moderate power but a ton of resilience. Then we could have a very long and thin turbine engine that is extremely low power but extremely fuel efficient and does not alert mantas.

Same for cannons t4 cannons would have trade offs as well. A very fragile and extremely slow reload long range cannon. A short range cannon with rapid fire. The well rounded cannon would be regulated to T3. This would allow more diversity and roles during ship design.

Unattached ship parts should be able to be added to inventory. I'd also propose the addition of uncraftable unique parts for ships. They would instead be found in chests. These would be better then craftable ship parts. This would incentivize trading between players/exploring/and more interactive piracy raiding instead of just blowing people out of the sky whenever and wherever. An example scenario would be you pull up in your battle boat and see a smaller crew and boat you would be able to chase down and defeat by an island. Currently if you demand a ransom or interact they just peel out and try to ram you, because they can quickly gather materials and remake their boat if defeated or have a bank alt with max stacks and dont care. Sometimes they just dive in the void out of spite. But lets say this boat had 2 unique engines and a cannon. If you just start attacking they can likely at least make it over the void before they are sunk and possibly all the 3 unique parts are lost maybe you can board and steal them/maybe not. If you demand the special cannon as a ransom they get to keep their boat and two unique engines and you would come out of the encounter with a more powerful cannon, and overall no one would have a real "feel bad" over the pvp interaction. Or maybe they are primarily PVE players and you can offer and work out a trade for the cannon etc.

They could be a very low percent chance found in random chests and perhaps you do a version of the lightning storm that is visible from sectors over and on a longer delay to signal it will spawn on that island.

Another option would be to implement gated sectors that could only be accessed through special gateways that restrict ship design and do not allow shipyards placed in the sector. For example you could make a gateway that does not allow engines. This would lead to a sector where everyone is using sail boats and require some different design philosophy. You could make a gateway that caps ship weight, a gateway that only allows ships with 1 cannon and 1 reviver. Then you tie the sector on the other side to unique rewards/characteristics tied to that gimmick. Maybe the Sail Bote only world, has a set of special schematics for reinforced/square sails etc. The 1 reviver/cannon solo sector has a sweet fighter pilot mask cosmetic whatever. This would help break up ship design monotony and allow for varied gameplay while still tying into the "main game world".

Edit: Thats alotta words about a video game but its a shame to see it spiraling the gutter again when it is so close to being a good game. The really concerning part is nothing on the road map addresses any core issues with the game design flaws. We are back to 200 player peaks spread across multiple servers from the april/may 2000 players. https://steamcharts.com/app/322780#1m

dogsupremacy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 17, 2018