Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Having just to grips with the text adventure engine I was using, I'm ditching it for something more robust that can handle non-player directed factional disputes. I couldn't get it to make a werewolf and a vampire fight without coding it specifically to their names, which would require either a, very limited NPC interactions or b, script bloat with every relevant NPC object name being included in every other NPCs combat scripts for very, very little gain.

EDIT:
The exact scenario I have in mind is one I could do with the limited NPC interactions easily enough, though. I have a set piece in mind where a PC lures a Sabbat pack into a known Bone Gnawer hangout, then tries to escape in the chaos, so I could just set the combat scripts up specially around it. But I'd also like to be able to have more flexibility so that things like that can emerge dynamically, not just statically. I might be getting too far ahead of myself though.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Semi-related but Loomer, I was thinking of ways of adapting Dawn of Worlds for use in generating social cityscapes in the World of Darkness. Basically a stripped-down version where you take an existing city map and divide it up between domains of various player-created factions and what have you, setting the stage for the game proper.
In the headgame I'm setting this for, the players would each control a whole coterie, probably ones from different sects, for maximum plotting and counterplotting.

Anyway that just struck me as something you might like

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a neat idea. It'd be very fun to do a wildly different oWoD game using that or Microscope to generate the sect struggles as well.

EDIT:
I'm going to need to find some decent 2d assets for this if I move away from strict text adventure to a more Sunless Sea (but in Chicago) route. gently caress.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 21, 2018

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

It's a neat idea. It'd be very fun to do a wildly different oWoD game using that or Microscope to generate the sect struggles as well.

EDIT:
I'm going to need to find some decent 2d assets for this if I move away from strict text adventure to a more Sunless Sea (but in Chicago) route. gently caress.

There are tons of maps for Chicago, but I just use google maps for the game I'm running set there. It might work fine for doing something like Dawn of Worlds, but there would be less geography (which is fine, Chicago is flat and has like two rivers). Even if you don't do it Dawn of Worlds style, google maps is pretty good for it. There are some maps floating around out there from 1931 that are probably a great style for what you'd want. Doesn't come close to the full south, north, or west sides being included, but is cool. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-gangland-map-sale-20180530-story.html

Another good way to do it would be by using a neighborhoods map. The city is pretty loyal to neighborhoods being important, and they're mostly sort of organized in that way for commerce and residential. There are some exceptions of course, but once you're not in the loop you're looking at neighborhood rivalries. I have the vampires here segmented with those lines, as the Prince thought it would be useful to award domains that way. There are tons of neighborhood maps, because it's an important thing here. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-Chicago-neighborhoods-including-Bronzeville-and-Pilsen-Note-Map-retrieved-from_fig1_258198427

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh, that part's easy. It's the direct interaction maps that are trickier, unless I really do go Sunless Chicago style and just have different parts of the map open up a text box rather than a topdown sprite based thing.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Demon: The Descent is a mash-up of "you play as a rogue program in The Matrix" and Cold War-style spy thrillers. It's incredibly unique and a lot more sci-fi focused than most nWoD content and my personal favorite of any of the nWoD games. If you've ever seen Person of Interest, that show is very close to the tone of Demon, although Demon is more explicitly supernatural.

You're like the only other person I've heard recommend Person of Interest as a Demon-inspiration show, but I totally agree. The usual action hero superhuman gunplay and TV techno-handwaving work quite well as Embeds and it explores similar themes of absolute surveillance, paranoia, and ends justifying means. Just yeah, nobody transforms into a shivering horror with eight eyes and ten wings and glowing spikes.

Mage is a very explicitly gnostic-themed game but so is Demon, and the God-Machine is as good a rendition of a demiurge as any.

quote:

Hunter: The Vigil is a game about assorted weirdoes and obsessives who hunt monsters, and usually are the worse off for it. I personally don't know much about it because that's not my cup of tea, but by most reports it's a pretty good game and it might give you some more insight into the "regular human" perspective, or at the least the "human" perspective.

Hunter is also getting a new release though it is further out than Geist. I want to play Hunter pretty badly as an excuse to make myself read the books instead of just F&F reviews, but the setting postulates quite a number of interesting human responses to awareness of the supernatural. It is totally a game one could play to be all "no it is MAN who is the true monster" if one wanted, but it also supports many other levels and tones of weekly monster hunting.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Loomer posted:

Oh, that part's easy. It's the direct interaction maps that are trickier, unless I really do go Sunless Chicago style and just have different parts of the map open up a text box rather than a topdown sprite based thing.

Google Hangouts already has integrated dice roll mechanics, how much work would it be to setup a Google Maps API where you "claim" terrain by drawing translucent shapes on it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

occamsnailfile posted:

You're like the only other person I've heard recommend Person of Interest as a Demon-inspiration show, but I totally agree. The usual action hero superhuman gunplay and TV techno-handwaving work quite well as Embeds and it explores similar themes of absolute surveillance, paranoia, and ends justifying means. Just yeah, nobody transforms into a shivering horror with eight eyes and ten wings and glowing spikes.

It is literally cited by the Demon core.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

occamsnailfile posted:

I wrote Demon's corebook opening fiction to a loop of Person of Interest's soundtrack. It's one of the inspirational materials listed in the book!

(I *think* it's also where Travis got the naming style of demons calling themselves "Mister Rock", etc from - Travis did that for one of the chapter opening fictions and everyone else then copied him, because it's cool.)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

(I *think* it's also where Travis got the naming style of demons calling themselves "Mister Rock", etc from - Travis did that for one of the chapter opening fictions and everyone else then copied him, because it's cool.)

Nah, I stole that shamelessly from Dark City.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

occamsnailfile posted:

Mage is a very explicitly gnostic-themed game but so is Demon, and the God-Machine is as good a rendition of a demiurge as any.

Mage's gnosticism is one of the reasons I kind of dislike it so when you compared demon to it I got irrationally offended. I mean, you're RIGHT, but it annoyed me.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I wrote Demon's corebook opening fiction to a loop of Person of Interest's soundtrack. It's one of the inspirational materials listed in the book!

I didn't read the inspirational section obviously--I just happened to watch the show and make the obvious connection. So uh, good taste in inspiration I guess!

Crasical posted:

Mage's gnosticism is one of the reasons I kind of dislike it so when you compared demon to it I got irrationally offended. I mean, you're RIGHT, but it annoyed me.

If it's any consolation Demon's interpretation is pretty starkly different. For one thing, there's not really any guarantee at all that breaking the God-Machine's power over material reality would accomplish anything whatsoever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The New WoD always make me think of John Carpenter, especially Prince of Darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbFni6_25Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-QBvy3lR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZIU1uIS2w

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

What's wrong with Gnosticism?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

gently caress yes. I really love Prince of Darkness, possibly the weirdest movie Carpenter has ever made.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The New WoD always make me think of John Carpenter, especially Prince of Darkness.

I always got a whole horror section feel. Like, there's a lot of stuff out there, and vampires, werewolves and sorcerers are the most well known but you pick up Facial and there's some dude whose basement has grown a face and is asking for human sacrifices and offering gold in exchange for them, and somewhere a college student is staying on campus for the break and being chased by an organization of wannabe killers who have decided they're going to spend the night killing every Kristy they can find. Like the gamelines are just a drop in the bucket compared to everything else that's out there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nofather posted:

I always got a whole horror section feel. Like, there's a lot of stuff out there, and vampires, werewolves and sorcerers are the most well known but you pick up Facial and there's some dude whose basement has grown a face and is asking for human sacrifices and offering gold in exchange for them, and somewhere a college student is staying on campus for the break and being chased by an organization of wannabe killers who have decided they're going to spend the night killing every Kristy they can find. Like the gamelines are just a drop in the bucket compared to everything else that's out there.

Yes, exactly.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Google Hangouts already has integrated dice roll mechanics, how much work would it be to setup a Google Maps API where you "claim" terrain by drawing translucent shapes on it?

I don't know, I don't have any coding experience. It'd probably be very easy though since it's a natively supported feature and all that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nofather posted:

That was a thing I enjoyed in Reckoning. They'd throw these curve balls at you when talking about something so the reader could not pat themselves on the back and be very clever indeed recognizing a Brujah antitribu. Or even a vampire as the WoD knows it. I love that they ramped that up in nWoD. Even Chicago, mixed bag that that book was, had a great 'weird stuff' section.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I definitely mix weird poo poo from the nWoD in when I run oWoD games. Cymothoa sanguinaria and the ragged-men are a particular favourite.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Sometimes the amount of worldbuilding nWoD expects you to do for yourself gets on my tits (looking at you, Demon) but I quite like its steadfast refusal to explain exactly how and why things came to be the way they are. Gives you room to slot random weirdness into your game and helps preserve the msytery.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terrorforge posted:

Sometimes the amount of worldbuilding nWoD expects you to do for yourself gets on my tits (looking at you, Demon) but I quite like its steadfast refusal to explain exactly how and why things came to be the way they are. Gives you room to slot random weirdness into your game and helps preserve the msytery.

It gives away a lot more than people think, and I'm glad because mystery is overrated and you can always change the things you don't like anyways.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The same is true of Reckoning, incidentally. While they do a great job of making it not too obvious, there are only like three things that I couldn't identify for you with at least 2:1 odds of being correct. A lot of the mystery can be assembled into a cohesive whole but it requires you to have no life.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It gives away a lot more than people think, and I'm glad because mystery is overrated and you can always change the things you don't like anyways.

It does? I'm mostly thinking of the one-off stuff, like that guy from Skinchangers who has dogs willing disembowel themselves to keep him from freezing to death on the streets. Got his stats, his story and notes on how to use him in a game, but barely even hints at what's actually happened to him.

Then again, flipping through the book I think that one example (along with VtR's "choose your own clan origin" gimmick) may have colored my perception of the whole line. Many other examples are more forthcoming with their weirdness, from offering a vague hint to straight up stating "on January 5th 1889, Jebediah Badman made a deal with the demon Baal'sereth to reclaim his fortune in return for human sacrifice".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Vampire is probably highest on the list of "doesn't explain anything about its backstory" but that's also my least favorite thing about Vampire.

Mage and Werewolf on the other hand provide an absolute mountain of information you can use both to get a pretty extensive idea of the history of the nWoD in general and especially as it relates to those specific splats. Doubly so if you start pulling in 1E material (which I generally do unless explicitly contradicted by 2E materials).

This is probably not quite the same thing you're talking about, which sounds more like open-ended adventure hooks, which, sure, I've got no problem with that. But I don't buy gigantic glossy hardcover books just for rules (and in nWoD's case it certainly isn't for the art); I want a setting where someone's done the work of creating an interesting cosmology and history, a sandbox for me to play in and extend, not create from scratch. I'd play a more generic game if I wanted to do that. I also personally don't mind having to dig for it because I get a kick out of that, but I wouldn't turn down a setting bible either.

(Imperial Mysteries comes close to being one and I love it for probably the same reasons its authors have called it a mistake. :v: )

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 22, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

On reflection I probably have this view because I've only ever read the "hey here's some stuff" supplements like Second Sight, never the "hey let's flesh out an aspect of the setting" ones like Tribes of the Moon. I guess that would lead someone to believe the nWoD canon consists entirely of disjointed choose-your-own-backstory gribblies to plop down wherever :v:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I was noodling with going back to the other, less flexible but already there engine and library set (quest, if anyone was curious. I'm now that idiot trying to replicate half its perfectly fine functions in unity for the sake of scripts I could probably do in quest if i was competent!) only to find the vampire adventure scripts have been corrupted. It's a sign from the VAs again.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Hey, thinking of running a game of Requiem after a long sabbatical from CoD. It's actually very, very hard to read the corebook. Any janky rules I should know about? Good houserules to recommend? General tips and tricks? Also, I remember someone made a bunch of 'Things X Can Do' for all of the different splats, can anyone link me to that?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Down With People posted:

Hey, thinking of running a game of Requiem after a long sabbatical from CoD. It's actually very, very hard to read the corebook. Any janky rules I should know about? Good houserules to recommend? General tips and tricks? Also, I remember someone made a bunch of 'Things X Can Do' for all of the different splats, can anyone link me to that?

Use 2e, it's objectively better. If you're sticking to 1e, get rid of the frenzy-upon-meeting-vampires rule. Might offer some hand-picked bloodlines to the players too.

If using 2e, have some of the Conditions in the back of the book written out on index cards (or a piece of paper) makes it easy to pass off to players if they get them. And since vampires don't get Willpower back by sleeping, Mask and Dirge are pretty important and something to think about. The game was made with the expectation that people would be using Willpower a lot (and their characters acting appropriately when exhausted, tired, hungry). Before you put any NPC or antagonist in the game you might want to look at the potential combat dicepools the PCs will have, as well as their Health. Creating mechanically equivalent challenges can be tricky but that's an easy way to get off on the right foot (if PC A dicepool+weapon > BBEG Health, need new BBEG).

Either edition, there's a ton of NPCs scattered across the books you can use, even if you're playing them separate from their 'given' backstory. The mechanics for them don't need much in the way of conversion outside of bloodlines and adding Athletics to Defense.

Someone (I think Gentleman Gamer?) once gave the advice of having just a list of names with brief descriptions, like two sentences, in case you get to a point where the players want to start talking to NPCs you didn't expect them to talk to. It's an easy place to give them aspirations, too, so they have some wants of their own.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Down With People posted:

Here you go.

As for tips: use group Beats. Lean on the side of giving your players too much information rather than too little. Do the name list thing, and structure your story in the vein generally. We all know that no plan survives contact with the players, so I find it useful to just keep track of who's involved and what their motivation is and detail plan at most one session in advance so I can react to the players and their actions rather than be like "whoops I guess all the relevant things happened somewhere else while you were dicking around". And don't be afraid to change what you do detail plan; if the PCs are "supposed" to meet the sympathetic Mekhet pariah when she's being humiliated at the Prince's ball but they decide they don't want to go to a stupid ball and prowl around the back streets, maybe she's there being victimized by the prince's thugs instead.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/wwpublishing/status/1010509440829669377

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

nofather posted:

And since vampires don't get Willpower back by sleeping
uh, what? You are the second person I've heard say this and the first guy was an idiot who thought the Herd merit was broken. Is this actually explicitly written out anywhere?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

uh, what? You are the second person I've heard say this and the first guy was an idiot who thought the Herd merit was broken. Is this actually explicitly written out anywhere?

It's not, but it's also not explicitly written out (or even implied) anywhere that they do; VtR 2e is completely silent on the matter for both mortals and vampires. Apparently it's the intended reading, though.

e: this is a recurring problem with the CofD books, actually. something that was in 1e/the core but isn't in 2e/the splat but the only clue that it was removed is that it isn't there any more, which is easy to miss and even if you do notice you never know if it was a deliberate change or an accidental omission

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 23, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Terrorforge posted:

It's not, but it's also not explicitly written out (or even implied) anywhere that they do; VtR 2e is completely silent on the matter for both mortals and vampires. Apparently it's the intended reading, though.

Where did Rose clarify that?

Specific overrides general; in the absence of a specific rule, you assume the general rule. I respect it if that's the writer's intent but the RAW is clear in this case.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Let that cat usurp the position of lead writer on all oWoD books. :colbert:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Specific overrides general; in the absence of a specific rule, you assume the general rule. I respect it if that's the writer's intent but the RAW is clear in this case.

Here. I didn't bother tracking it down earlier, but it turned out to be easier than expected.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 23, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hostile V posted:

Let that cat usurp the position of lead writer on all oWoD books. :colbert:

Then the Cat Vampires will invade Pugmire while defending the World of Darkness from the Skaven.

Do it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Then the Cat Vampires will invade Pugmire while defending the World of Darkness from the Skaven.

Do it.

I... I would play this unironically

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mendrian posted:

Yeah, so because vampires don't regain willpower through sleep, the rule that anyone does isn't in vampire. werewolf, beast, and promethean have the omission, because they do but their books don't say that they do. Mage onwards realised that it'd been left out, so Mage does say that mages do.

But no, vampires don't regain wp through resting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Man I am so glad that none of the vampire games I've been in have followed that because I think I've seen mask/dirge (or virtue/vice in 1e) come up a grand total of maybe three times, ever. Probably because if we spent as much time on feeding scenes for blood, mask/dirge for willpower, and aspirations for individual beats as the book expects, we wouldn't have any time left in a session to have a plot.