Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Royal Conservatory (1/2): Youtube Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
This episode tastes like vindication. Next episode tastes like incompetency!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

SCIENCE IN A MANSION: Youtube

sorry about the out of order posting I AM BAD IT'S MY FAULT
Late, but I enjoyed that it was out of order. The videos are of course a lot of fun as usual but we are watching the same level four times so a quick break going back for some extra science makes it even better. :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah in hindsight it probably would have been a better idea to do one run in whole and then come back to the next one, but at this point we are over halfway done with the game and it'll take a real pivot to change how we're doing that. we could change the commentary schedule but i feel like it would be super jarring to have that context switch midway.

e: i guess i will put it to the thread: would you guys prefer we change this up a bit so we finish a single run, and then come back to another? to be clear, we would probably just go ahead and do roboky's first, since we're currently on him and he has the fewest things he wants to change with his later episodes. so the next episodes would be Royal Conservatory 2 -> Dust District -> Crack in the Slab -> Duke's Palace -> Death to the Empress, all High Chaos Corvo, versus LC Emily Conservatory -> HC Emily Conservatory -> LC Corvo Dust District -> HC Corvo Dust District

It might be a little weird to have us referencing episodes that you have no way of seeing yet, but ultimately I think it'll matter relatively little.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 31, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have no problems with finishing like it is, and might get annoyed if I notice your commentary is out of order. :v:

Maybe high/low science Corvo and the opposite Emily and then the other two afterwards? But it's fine to just keep on flying as you have. Suffer not the witch to remain conscious.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The side-by-side format does a good job of demonstrating the subtle details that make Dishonored 2 stand out, and I think that's the way to go.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I say keep it as is.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Radio posted:

The side-by-side format does a good job of demonstrating the subtle details that make Dishonored 2 stand out, and I think that's the way to go.

This. I like seeing the missions run in different styles, and I'd just forget the details of the previous runs if each character was completed in order..

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Something seems to be not good with the audio balance for the last few episodes - I keep needing to turn my volume up a bunch to hear regular-volume commentary but anytime anyone gets a bit loud it I have to turn it down a lot to not have it be uncomfortably loud.

Anyone else having this issue, or is it all on my end?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Which ones?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Definitely had issues on High Chaos Corvo Conservatory 1/2 and Science in a Mansion, don't recall specifically which previous ones I had issues with (and it's too late for me to check tonight).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode fatigue was always going to be an issue but I feel like it would be unfair to whoever went last if we did them differently to how we do it now.

biosterous posted:

Something seems to be not good with the audio balance for the last few episodes - I keep needing to turn my volume up a bunch to hear regular-volume commentary but anytime anyone gets a bit loud it I have to turn it down a lot to not have it be uncomfortably loud.

Anyone else having this issue, or is it all on my end?

In the cases of the high chaos corvo ones (which I edit) the inconsistencies primarily come from the fact that I'm editing four different people who all have varying mic issues, that in some cases vary from video to video. It's not exactly great but it's also the best I can do, sorry.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Poil posted:

Late, but I enjoyed that it was out of order. The videos are of course a lot of fun as usual but we are watching the same level four times so a quick break going back for some extra science makes it even better. :)

We had thought that viewers would be sane and pick maybe 1 or 2 runs to watch through, not all 4. It seems we have underestimated you!

Edit: I dunno if I get a vote, but I guess I’d vote finishing a full playthrough then going to the next. It’s pretty clear people are getting a little burnt out on watching the same chapter 4 times, and also it might be helpful continuity wise. We already know that doing all 4 versions of a chapter before moving on isn’t working and we are only halfway through the game!

Anywho if people have opinions on something we could do to make the LP approachable again, please say something. :)

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

We had thought that viewers would be sane and pick maybe 1 or 2 runs to watch through, not all 4.
Wait, what? Why in the world would you think people wouldn't happily watch every video?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

We had thought that viewers would be sane and pick maybe 1 or 2 runs to watch through, not all 4. It seems we have underestimated you!

Edit: I dunno if I get a vote, but I guess I’d vote finishing a full playthrough then going to the next. It’s pretty clear people are getting a little burnt out on watching the same chapter 4 times, and also it might be helpful continuity wise. We already know that doing all 4 versions of a chapter before moving on isn’t working and we are only halfway through the game!

Anywho if people have opinions on something we could do to make the LP approachable again, please say something. :)

It's cool if anyone's burnt out on all the repeats they can just watch all mine and no one else's this is the part where I'd menace with a gun if I had one.

But yes suggestions are welcome.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The only improvement I would like would be one of the more thorough ones being the first one posted. I know that I will get a chance to read documents and such in Roboky or Skool's run, but watching this blind, I still try to pause all the time during the millisecond Coolguye leaves anything on the screen if when he occasionally picks a document up.

Other than that, I have no issues with the way this is presented. I watch for the content, then for the commentary and differences of the other runs. Hell, I sometimes watch the first vid twice to take in both the content and the commentary. So yes, mostly this system works perfectly fine for me.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Thesaya posted:

The only improvement I would like would be one of the more thorough ones being the first one posted. I know that I will get a chance to read documents and such in Roboky or Skool's run, but watching this blind, I still try to pause all the time during the millisecond Coolguye leaves anything on the screen if when he occasionally picks a document up.

Other than that, I have no issues with the way this is presented. I watch for the content, then for the commentary and differences of the other runs. Hell, I sometimes watch the first vid twice to take in both the content and the commentary. So yes, mostly this system works perfectly fine for me.

We actually recorded my episode as the very first one but Coolguye released his first, I assume because he went to click on mine to publish it, missed and hit his instead.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheLastRoboKy posted:

We actually recorded my episode as the very first one but Coolguye released his first, I assume because he went to click on mine to publish it, missed and hit his instead.

Yeah he wanted someone good at the game to start :v:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I do think Coolguye's run might be best saved until someone slightly slower has gone through. There's a lot going on and even as someone who's played the game through several times I find myself getting a bit lost.

Would you be open to just swapping around order of play a little? I'd suggest a HC Corvo, HC Emily, LC Corvo, LC Emily pattern? An alternating ABAB power set rather than AABB might help make it more interesting. I also think the LC playthroughs are a bit less "standard". Roboky and Iron Rose look a lot like my first run and then my experienced, tool heavy run, respectively, so I think they make a nice intro, then the Coolguye and Skool runs are a nice change of pace and also work a bit better once we've seen the level a few times and know what it's supposed to look like.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

I do think Coolguye's run might be best saved until someone slightly slower has gone through. There's a lot going on and even as someone who's played the game through several times I find myself getting a bit lost.

Would you be open to just swapping around order of play a little? I'd suggest a HC Corvo, HC Emily, LC Corvo, LC Emily pattern? An alternating ABAB power set rather than AABB might help make it more interesting. I also think the LC playthroughs are a bit less "standard". Roboky and Iron Rose look a lot like my first run and then my experienced, tool heavy run, respectively, so I think they make a nice intro, then the Coolguye and Skool runs are a nice change of pace and also work a bit better once we've seen the level a few times and know what it's supposed to look like.

The only reason I've been doing it the order I have been is because that's how it's in the OP, which is about the flimsiest reasoning possible - so sure, I'm happy to talk about swapping it up.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah to be fair in most of the episodes past 3 I cut out large swathes of traversing and fighting to get to the good bits.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah to be fair in most of the episodes past 3 I cut out large swathes of traversing and fighting to get to the good bits.

The Science! :science:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Every playthrough is amazing and wonderful and I can't imagine not watching them all (and also the supplementary videos like science time)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm going to name my next cat Miaud.

e: But really, that little hidey-hole, as well as one in your room, made me think "Oh, they've set this up as dungeon-layout, there's probably going to be an event later where guards storm the boat! That'll be fun." I was only mildly disappointed that wasn't the case.

e2: The only thing I want out of this LP is more. More murder. More windblast. More science. More clowning. Bring a speedrunner in and make him do a Flesh & Steel run. I'd say a glitchless run, but let's be honest, the glitches are some of the best parts.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 4, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Royal Conservatory (2/2): Youtube Polsy

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I just want to say, I appreciate the SBAHJ references. Slightly deflated at how quickly they just come and go, but they're still good.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Familiar Scent is a godsend in DotU but yeah, core game it's like, why not just shoot the wolfhound in the skull while it's sleeping.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
FYI, the Silver Spike is the name of the local gossip rag, I think the miner's lung disorder you were referring to is just called gray lung or something.

From piecing together the various diary entries and letters, I'm pretty sure the Oraculum is tapping into the actual visions that the actual Oracular Order is making, and they can only see what's happening at the present moment. So seeing the massacre of the Overseers at Dunwall Castle is useful in an informative sense, but audio transmission technology is still on the level of speaking tubes, so it's not actionable.

That said, plopping a stun mine in that central sigil and then triggering the Oraculum is a great way to deal with the witches in that room. I cheesed the final boss in a similar manner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can you actually turn off the Oraculum after you've killed the person who was benefiting from it? I'm curious to see how far they let you go.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

IT SURE HAS BEEN 11 DAYS SINCE AN UPDATE

Glazius posted:

So can you actually turn off the Oraculum after you've killed the person who was benefiting from it? I'm curious to see how far they let you go.

I'm not sure what you mean. By default it's off and you have to pull the lever to make it go, and then it turns back off after its statement.

You can totally kill the person and then pull the lever and get oracular statements though.

I'm not sure that would work if you adulterate the oraculum since there's no statements in that case anyways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'M BAD AT UPDATING BECAUSE I AM DISTRACTED BY THINGS

ONE SEC UPDATE INCOMING

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Royal Conservatory: Youtube Polsy

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Skool's editing is so great.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
It is cute that there are exactly as many beds in that cubicle area as there are witches across the map.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Dreadful Wale, which is an anagram for..."

Me: "It's not an anagram for anything, is it? It's just a cool multiple play on wor-"

"Farewell Daud!"

Me: "...Outsider's crooked cock!" :aaa:

So y'all just gonna be spoiling that revelation left and right, huh. I don't know, maybe I've played too many of these games, or not enough, but Meagan's cagey attitude to doling out her past just had me thinking "Oh, cool, a mysterious backstory, I do hope this goes somewhere." and it did, and it was a nice nod, but my only real problem with it was in high chaos you're not allowed to react appropriately. She just plain won't tell you, and when you go find out for yourself she vanishes into the aether when you get back.

---

One thing that bothers me about this mission is Meagan's hint about the Abbey maybe being helpful. It sort of is, because they do have a map and the hint about the existence of the Oraculum, but that's not really helpful. Helpful would be being able to tip them to witchcraft and provoking a full-on raid on the Conservatory as a distraction. I have a similar issue with the next level, where they've taken great pains to set up rival factions and not given you any opportunity to make them interact.

---

Before you Far Reached him in the dick, I was imagining that Overseer waking up and going "Oh, that was a great nap. My candles seem to have gone out. ...I'm almost certain I locked that door. ...Did someone take my grenades? Hey, guards, did you see anyo-" and just boggling at the completely empty streets.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Dareon posted:

So y'all just gonna be spoiling that revelation left and right, huh.

Yep!

I agree with you on high chaos, but to be somewhat fair, her journals and audio recordings pretty much tell you everything before that last chat. It's not as tidy as it could be though, because unless you played the story DLC from the first game, you have no idea about half the backstory. I imagine for those guys it's kind of like "oh ok, cool?"

quote:

I have a similar issue with the next level, where they've taken great pains to set up rival factions and not given you any opportunity to make them interact.

When the game won't give you opportunities, I make them yourself!

quote:

Before you Far Reached him in the dick, I was imagining that Overseer waking up and going "Oh, that was a great nap. My candles seem to have gone out. ...I'm almost certain I locked that door. ...Did someone take my grenades? Hey, guards, did you see anyo-" and just boggling at the completely empty streets.

Yeah I try to leave sleepy guys sleepy, but sometimes it's just too tempting.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
As someone who's been hit in the head with a chandelier before, I felt that guy's pain. Also, for some reason, the fade to whites hurt my eyes. Doesn't, usually. Maybe I'm just getting old.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Honestly if anyone spends a minute or two just pointing the heart at Meaghan the dots are connected pretty fast. I'm almost convinced she was going to be a playable character at some point but then they swerved off elsewhere. Not that this doesn't occur anyway but that's a story for another time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah normally i'm a big stickler for not spoiling poo poo or whatever but they're SO HEAVY HANDED AND OBVIOUS about meagan, i don't feel bad about not pretending to be dense as concrete about her. even if you exempt that we've already seen her face in previous incarnations and could have connected the dots the second we saw her if we'd played DH1 recently from pure voice and facial structure, even more vaguely, how many women of color with dark, secret pasts are we exposed to, here? i'd almost be willign to give it more credit if the game thus far had been quite expansive in terms of its writing, but even our villain is a remember-me-mfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, point, I didn't exactly register surprise when that conversation happened. More the satisfaction you get when a piece of music comes back around to the tonic. "Oh, hey, that's wrapped up nicely."