Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I summoned a thing.

It has a timer. Then I noticed you can do... this?

Is this a good terrible idea?

Lol I hadn’t even thought of this but duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

That works for most summons including the top tier summons which makes it really great.

Using it you can perpetually keep that edge/winter summon out to keep killing things and carrying expeditions by herself too.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Thunderskin is pure heart. And pure rhythm. And pure groove.

While the latter two are true, if one is going to get the party started, one needs some dranks, and the Thunderskin's history suggests that our large, rotund, ever-dancing son is not unfamiliar with the lures of the Grail.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Percussigant is my favorite summon. I named mine Percy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dragonturtle posted:

That achievement that no one has gotten yet is too good.

Huh, I thought you could get it by doing the Death Roulette rite (Winter and Lantern, was it?) and having it stop on you.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

EdithUpwards posted:

If the Mansus has no walls, are the walls internal, or the walls of the world?

The world does not have walls. It has skin.

And uh... actually, one of the books likens the Gates to the openings in a body, which sure puts a spin on which one the Peacock Gate lines up with...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you're out of unique expeditions Unnumbered Stones is the best for grinding, iirc. 1 common and 2 uncommon draws. Though if it's rares you're after you'll need to do Miah instead. Hope you found Frangiclave~~~

I never did find Frangiclave but after mucking around for a few more hours I eventually realized that I did have Theresa and the 12-point lantern consumable (and had had them for a long rear end time), and then realized OH *that* goes in the "desire" slot, so, whurp, game won, 'lightenment

I may try another run as Forge/ Winter or I may wait for more updates to come out, I'll see.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ceebees posted:

And uh... actually, one of the books likens the Gates to the openings in a body, which sure puts a spin on which one the Peacock Gate lines up with...

The... mouth? It is the one that speaks, after all.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I may try another run as Forge/Winter Grail or I may wait for more updates to come out, I'll see.

I've done all three of them now, I wouldn't recommend it unless you think you might get some enjoyment out of trying to optimise a run.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The... mouth? It is the one that speaks, after all.

I've done all three of them now, I wouldn't recommend it unless you think you might get some enjoyment out of trying to optimise a run.

the Spider Door hungers.

the Peacock Door must be pleased.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

the Spider Door hungers.

the Peacock Door must be pleased.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhh....

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

which is the poopy door

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, poo poo, I hit an inflection point in the game where I was able to sacrifice influences and use them up to summon all sorts of freaky demons to do my battles for me, and everything was going just fine, then I realize I'm at 2 fascination and the fascination thing WON'T GO AWAY. So I try to deliberately induce some dread-nightmares (I'd already ascended the third mark, no more free restlessness) by doing a little Sleep of Reason, but instead I roll up a Fascination and fuuuuck I'm dead.

what a great goddamn game. Now that I know how to use demons and poo poo it got a lot more fun.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You and the investigator can have a fun chat about winter lore if you ever need dread.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I always imagine that chat as the cultist showing up in black mascara, all CRAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN, while Connie Lee nervously tries to avoid eye contact with all the other people in the Starbucks

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You and the investigator can have a fun chat about winter lore if you ever need dread.

I killed EVERY INVESTIGATOR. Yes, all of them. Unless more weary sergeants come back. Connie Lee? POISON. Worked like a charm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thinkin' about those cults.

drat I am going to need a FUCKLOAD of lanterns to get this 7th level mark done.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there ever a reason you shouldn't combine you lores?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I kinda wish you could corrupt investigators into your cult by revealing more lore.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wish combining lores didn’t take so goddamn long. Even when I have Glimmerings and Eruditions ready it just takes such a long-rear end time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

genericnick posted:

Is there ever a reason you shouldn't combine you lores?

Gaps in my matrix of lores make me tear my hair out.

Keep them for a while, you'll know when you don't need lower level lores anymore. Specifically, you'll need a level 6 lore to pass the Stag Door. The needed lore will vary from game to game..

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Pirate Radar posted:

I wish combining lores didn’t take so goddamn long. Even when I have Glimmerings and Eruditions ready it just takes such a long-rear end time.

Yeah and if they happen to expire by the time you need them and the whole process fails. It can be very frustrating how time consuming it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if a hunter is a grim idealist, I cant use lore against it?

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Pretty much. Your best bet if you're still early game is to hit the explore verb non-stop until the 5 edge guy pops up and then murder the investigator.

Be prepared for A notoriety and a dead body that will decay into notoriety if you can't find a way to remove it though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Once I realized you could poison investigators I didn't look back.

The weary detective can stay. He's one of the good ones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can you kill off all the investigators?

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

As far as I know the game will just infinitely throw investigators at you with the unique qualifier that you can't have two of the same person at the same time.

The game will toss tons of Weary Detectives at you if you intentionally mess around and try to bait as many investigators to appear as possible over time though as you keep killing them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol that owns

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My Ascension Enlightenment. Do I have to wait for it, or can I feed it things... and how?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Because of this game, steam is now recommending me nothing but indie games tagged "Atmospheric", "Story-Rich", "Horror", "Lovecraftian" and/or "Card Game".

Thanks, Kennedy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

My Ascension Enlightenment. Do I have to wait for it, or can I feed it things... and how?

If I'm thinking of the correct card, there'll eventually be a point where the game requires you to feed it stuff or it exhausts passion/reason/health.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hempuli posted:

If I'm thinking of the correct card, there'll eventually be a point where the game requires you to feed it stuff or it exhausts passion/reason/health.

That's what I've been doing. I was wondering if I could manually activate it or it's always timed.

Also to move past that Enlightenment Ascention's 7th mark I need to get a ritual of 36 Lantern intensity?!?!? What the hell, I'm going to be researching poo poo for a long rear end time at this rate. Ugh. Would this have been easier if I were a lantern cult?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

That's what I've been doing. I was wondering if I could manually activate it or it's always timed.

Also to move past that Enlightenment Ascention's 7th mark I need to get a ritual of 36 Lantern intensity?!?!? What the hell, I'm going to be researching poo poo for a long rear end time at this rate. Ugh. Would this have been easier if I were a lantern cult?

The main benefit from that is that you could have a Seer follower (10 lantern) to help with the ritual instead of the 5 lantern disciple you now have.

Your best bet is probably to find one of those 15 lantern influence cards in Mansus and combo that with a high-lantern summon in a rite that accepts those.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Because of this game, steam is now recommending me nothing but indie games tagged "Atmospheric", "Story-Rich", "Horror", "Lovecraftian" and/or "Card Game".

Thanks, Kennedy.

this happens anytime you get a game that's different from stuff you've done before

steam dusts off another fifty thousand piles of poo poo that were hiding under the new tags and shoves them at you

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

thankfully, if one wishes to Ascend, there is precedent. mad, psychotic precedent. but there is precedent.

several of the rare books, that need the second-tier languages to read, will give you access to the Intercalate Rite, which as you may gather from lore scraps was not a particularly good idea. it has a slot for lore, assistant, influence, ingredient, instrument, and your Desire. as with the Intercalate, there may be Consequences.

i made it a point of pride to kill the last investigator before ascension. no witnesses, you little shits.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Marenghi posted:

Yeah and if they happen to expire by the time you need them and the whole process fails. It can be very frustrating how time consuming it is.

Pirate Radar posted:

Hello. If you have already completed the game once the way the designer intended, and/or do not give a fuuuuuck about what the designer intended, may i suggest the thing i made?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/93mf6pg9xfurg9k/recipes.rar
steam>steamapps>common>cultist simulator>cultistsimulator_data>streamingassets>content>core, replace the 'recipes' folder with this one, and if the game is running, turn it off and back on again.
Also speeds up expeditions to... probably too fast.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really want this on mobile or pad or something.

Just with a way more suitable interface.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is not ideal at all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is not ideal at all.

I would like to know more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would have gone insane before I ascended if I didnt pull that Dread card out of my rear end at the last second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Meanwhile, I managed to lose by Health and by Dread at the same time on my first game. Got both achievements. :smug: