Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
People are saying that's justification that this is a port. Except, you know, games that build off of previous incarnations aren't ports. Like Saint's Row 4. Or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Or Battlefield 4.

It's almost like that's how sequels work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Theta Zero posted:

People are saying that's justification that this is a port. Except, you know, games that build off of previous incarnations aren't ports. Like Saint's Row 4. Or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Or Battlefield 4.

It's almost like that's how sequels work.

I guess Melee, Brawl and 4 are also all ports since they too have elements from the games before them.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I DEMAND a brand new Smash built from scratch! Less characters! Less stages!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This Portal game is just a port of Half Life 2!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Port Claimers (and their hit song '500 Reasons Smash 5 Is A Port') are desperate to cling to any feasible evidence they can to keep calling Smash 5 a port. I don't know if it's because they don't want their prediction to be wrong or because they want an excuse to not buy a Switch/Smash 5 and make fun of those who would spend their money on it, but it is loving mindboggling considering the wealth of data we already have that proves it is a brand new game. Hell even ZeRO has gone into detail in several of his videos talking about how different it plays and feels and yet the arguments continue.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ive literally never seen anyone since the game cam eout call it a port yet i’ve read five thousand posts about people complaining about port people

that said i would personally liken this smash 4 but more

not necessarily a port but like... street fighter 4 arcade edition. the same, but more stuff and bigger balance tweaks

i’ve never played sf4 don’t @ me

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This isn't even news. What did people think Sakurai meant by "10,000s of changes"? That claim would make no sense for a game made from scratch.

They used Smash 4 and its engine/content/mechanics as a starting point, then made a huge number of fundamental changes and additions. This is one good way to make a sequel to a video game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kaubocks posted:

ive literally never seen anyone since the game cam eout call it a port yet i’ve read five thousand posts about people complaining about port people

that said i would personally liken this smash 4 but more

not necessarily a port but like... street fighter 4 arcade edition. the same, but more stuff and bigger balance tweaks

i’ve never played sf4 don’t @ me
It's mostly a claim from people trying to validate Melee being the superior game despite Smash Ultimate not even being released yet, or stupid people. Just from that tweet alone:

Also
"No." <---- SUPER SALTY

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

TheLoneStar posted:

I don't have any particular desire in mind, I just want some sort of story mode to come back akin to Subspace Emissary.

nocturnal emissary

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This game is more of a fine, old Madeira than a port IMO

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I do not get why it's a debate at all. Like even if it is a port are you not going to buy it for the new characters/stages and updates? It just seems like a bunch of barely literate kids arguing semantics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hell, perhaps, even, it's a single malt scotch, from Sakurai's top shelf.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm sure there's plenty of Smash/Nintendo haters who won't play this game calling it a port.

It's clear there's an incredible amount of new content, and reused assets like character models were nontheless upgraded significantly. After the e3 video, I'm comfortable calling this the 5th Smash Bros game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If this game were a port, it would be fruity and full-bodied, like Tingle.

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I do not get why it's a debate at all. Like even if it is a port are you not going to buy it for the new characters/stages and updates? It just seems like a bunch of barely literate kids arguing semantics

I think the people screaming "its a port" want a fundamentally different set of physics and mechanics (obviously closer to melee), and any signs that the game has ideas from brawl or 4 they retreat into the game being terrible. Not entirely melee purists, but a different strand of them that are dissatisfied with how the newer games play for whatever reason. Pretty dumb reasoning considering all of the actual people who have played it say it plays like a whole new game because woopsie it is.

But yeah, anyone invested enough in smash to care about this much is lying to themselves if they think they won't buy it. Games gonna be great. I just hope the menu design is better. poo poo like that is what made me not really get as invested in collecting trophies and stuff in Smash 4.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Just play the loving game.

Also, they should add Diskun as the "odd choice" fighter this time around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want Mike Jones to get a trophy at least.

Give me something from Startropics even if it’s just a sticker.:smith:

I want Sakurai to do for Startropics what he did for Kid Icarus.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kaubocks posted:

the return of VGCW....... in smash form

I want some crazy bastard to buy 66 Amiibos plus echoes and make this happen.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
*startles awake, covered in sweat* Blaziken as a Captain Falcon echo fighter

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bleck posted:

*startles awake, covered in sweat* Blaziken as a Captain Falcon echo fighter

Only if up-B is changed to be Sky Uppercut. And maybe neutral B is a big charged-up Blaze Kick (yes yes even though down B would be Blaze Kick, or Double Kick? Blaziken punching would look wrong to me)

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

If he can sky uppercut I reckon he can fire/dynamic punch, I mean he's got the wrist fires for a reason.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want Sakurai to do for Startropics what he did for Kid Icarus.

Give him a incredibly good game that nobody will play because of a control issue they’d probably adapt to easily?

:smith:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I'd probably play it if it didn't look and sound like anime.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Avirosb posted:

You are doing yourself a huge disservice.

e: this is coming from someone who would cross the street to avoid an anime

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Avirosb posted:

You're posting in the Smash Bros thread my friend

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Avirosb posted:

I was like this until I played Fire Emblem

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cross the street to get closer to anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anime, much like Super Smash Bros., is good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Love anime

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It sounds and is written like the best kind of Saturday morning cartoon. Even if the gameplay gets hit or miss depending on how well you can adapt to the odd controls, the dialogue is an absolute joy.

Sorry that they have anime eyes and therefore it is literally unplayable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

multijoe posted:

You're posting in the Smash Bros thread my friend

Even beyond the obvious Fire Emblemers, Shulk, Cloud, Bayo, ZSS even Mega Man is directly patterned on Astro Boy and the entire Mario cast is pretty derivative of that style as well

If you want to avoid anime then you basically can't play games from Japan with hand drawn/designed characters

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
considering the recent fremblems propensity to indulge the types of folks with body pillows I don't think some apprehension is misplaced

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kid Icarus is good, and its story and writing are at least 50% of the reason why. Anime haterz :getout:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*sees Pokemon Trainer on the character select screen*

AHHHHHH AN ANIME!!! *crosses self, goes to confession*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Even beyond the obvious Fire Emblemers, Shulk, Cloud, Bayo, ZSS even Mega Man is directly patterned on Astro Boy and the entire Mario cast is pretty derivative of that style as well

If you want to avoid anime then you basically can't play games from Japan with hand drawn/designed characters

I think the "ugh anime" thing comes out of people seeing similar styled and proportioned characters. Anime is a really wide umbrella as is western animation, but there's definitely smaller niches of design tropes within both, the problem being is people don't really have better terms for the eastern tropes they don't like beyond just saying "anime"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kid Icarus was very heavily localized (a lot of Hades' ham is on the loc) with Sakurai's blessing, so it's more of a saturday morning cartoon vibe to me anyway.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Has it come out yet?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Avirosb posted:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd rank it higher if it wasn't physically painful to play. That said, points for Sakurai for such a terrible control scheme that it causes body pain yet still making the game so fun people play it anyways.

I hope he gets to do an Uprising 2 once SSBU is out and he's farther from dying. The Switch may be the best place to make it both fun and harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monitor posted:

I think the people screaming "its a port" want a fundamentally different set of physics and mechanics (obviously closer to melee), and any signs that the game has ideas from brawl or 4 they retreat into the game being terrible. Not entirely melee purists, but a different strand of them that are dissatisfied with how the newer games play for whatever reason. Pretty dumb reasoning considering all of the actual people who have played it say it plays like a whole new game because woopsie it is.

But yeah, anyone invested enough in smash to care about this much is lying to themselves if they think they won't buy it. Games gonna be great. I just hope the menu design is better. poo poo like that is what made me not really get as invested in collecting trophies and stuff in Smash 4.

https://twitter.com/TheKayBguy/status/1008736348293890048