Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rutibex posted:

Its not like the thread has matured. Its just that there are better games than Mage Knight now.

Mage Knight is still the best solo game by a mile. It's way better than Gloomhaven for solo, don't @ me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Katie's Game Corner made a depressing post about getting sexually harassed by game bros. This poo poo is so pervasive. :(
https://katiesgamecorner.com/2018/06/20/the-truth-about-sexual-harrassment-and-boardgaming/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone played Lords of Hellas? How does it compare to other notable eurotrash?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

@ojetor i agree

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Katie's Game Corner made a depressing post about getting sexually harassed by game bros. This poo poo is so pervasive. :(
https://katiesgamecorner.com/2018/06/20/the-truth-about-sexual-harrassment-and-boardgaming/

Creepy.

I played Team Fortress online on Christmas years ago with my wife's Xbox account (a girl!!11!1) and pretty much never played online again, the experience was so toxic just from that.

I look forward to when stuff is much healthier and figured out; it's sad to think of all that's been missed out on because there's a huge segment of people who end up just plain nope'ing out of all the poo poo, and who can blame them?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

Mage Knight is still the best solo game by a mile. It's way better than Gloomhaven for solo, don't @ me.

Gloomhaven has more character classes than Mage Knight, so it should have better replay value. Also, Agricola is a better solo game than Mage Knight anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope the people mentioned are ousted. Gamers get the brunt of it but as small as this industry is the creators also act as gatekeepers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Comedy answer, My Little Scythe is probably easy enough for them to learn, and has some very cute artwork and miniatures. The game is about to come out, since we are just starting to see the usual board game reviews get full review copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLu0AC2qpN0

Seriously, though. How does this game exist?

My Little Scythe is a competitive, family-friendly, adventure, Euro game based on the enormously successful Scythe board game.

“…each player controls 2 animal miniatures embarking upon an adventure in the Kingdom of Pomme. In an effort to be the first to earn 4 trophies from 8 possible categories, players take turns choosing to Move, Seek, or Make. These actions will allow players to increase their friendship and pies, power up their actions, complete quests, learn magic spells, deliver gems and apples to Castle Everfree, and perhaps even engage in a pie fight.” [source]

My Little Scythe is designed by Hoby Chou and his daughter, Vienna Chou, with artwork by Noah Adelman and Katie Khau. The game supports 1-6 players, aged 8+, and can be played in 45 mins. My Little Scythe was originally a fan created, print-and-play game that won the 2017 BoardGameGeek Best Print-and-play Game Award. It combined the theme of My Little Pony with gameplay mechanisms from Scythe. Considering the licensing hurdles with having to obtain the rights to produce a My Little Pony themed game, Stonemaier Games chose to theme the game in a different universe of their own making where players control cute pets going out on adventure.

hahah that explains a lot

http://www.dicetowernews.com/my-little-scythe-is-a-shoe-in-for-release-this-year/51565

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

I hope the people mentioned are ousted. Gamers get the brunt of it but as small as this industry is the creators also act as gatekeepers.

There was a big industry drama at Origins over someone being outed for some lovely behavior. Not surprising that Katie wrote that blog up right after the show.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Lords of Hellas? How does it compare to other notable eurotrash?

If you don't own a euro-trash combat game, it's not bad. But the combat is worse than Kemet, and it doesn't do multiple potential win conditions as well as Inis. For me, it's not enough for an expensive miniature heavy eurotrash game to be good, because Kemet and Cyclades can be bought for under $60 at any time on Amazon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

There was a big industry drama at Origins over someone being outed for some lovely behavior. Not surprising that Katie wrote that blog up right after the show.

She confirmed on Twitter she was one of the females harassed. According to a goon who was a vendor at Origins, their stance was that since a staff member didn’t see it happen they wouldn’t take action. loving pathetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Merauder posted:

I don't know who this would be in reference to as BGG's front page would have exploded as a result. There was some controversy over the original guest of honor who created a movement to tip the Hugos against books with liberal politics (e.g. anything queer written by people of color).

e: First time hearing of this so I really hope whoever gets outed! Also disappointed with Origins. It's my favorite con but with the tone deafness inviting Larry Correia and now this it's extra frustrating because Origins always schedules during Columbus' pride week and supports it heavily.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 21, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does Caverna work solo? I wouldn't mind playing the low-key parts of Dwarf Fortress without having to relearn Dwarf Fortress.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Does Caverna work solo? I wouldn't mind playing the low-key parts of Dwarf Fortress without having to relearn Dwarf Fortress.

It "works" only so far as it's playable but it's also a solved game because there's next to no variability. I would recommend A Feast for Odin for solo any day.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

golden bubble posted:

If you don't own a euro-trash combat game, it's not bad. But the combat is worse than Kemet, and it doesn't do multiple potential win conditions as well as Inis. For me, it's not enough for an expensive miniature heavy eurotrash game to be good, because Kemet and Cyclades can be bought for under $60 at any time on Amazon.

I basically have all of them. I am a eurotrash connoisseur

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

I don't know who this would be in reference to as BGG's front page would have exploded as a result. There was some controversy over the original guest of honor who created a movement to tip the Hugos against books with liberal politics (e.g. anything queer written by people of color).

It wasn't the Larry Correia stuff. Some stupid poo poo was said by someone from a small publishing company which made its way onto social media in a big public blowup of side-taking on behalf of various industry individuals. Unlikely to have been something that made it onto BGG.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

You should get A Feast for Odin instead, it has much more replayability. Dwarves are basically just half sized Vikings anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Right now I feel a bit conflicted about SUSD. I dislike their schtick and disagree with them a lot, however they are the only people that I know have done a head-to-head comparison of the two versions of Brass.

From their reviews, I feel like the aspects that made them prefer Birmingham also seem more appealing to me (figuring out "what should I do this turn" vs. "what can I do this turn"). Can anyone here who has played the original confirm/deny whether they assessed it accurately?

Probably not, because almost nobody who has played the original has played Birmingham yet - it's about three weeks out for UK/EU backers. If actions are a little easier to plan it wouldn't go amiss, though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Since I have a daughter I think the story behind My Little Scythe being a game a dad made for his daughter is cool and interesting. :shrug:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think what I like about using this thread to inform game purchases is that if I say "I liked these things about x and these things about y, should I get z?" that the chances are high of someone having played all three games and being able to give me a useful, informed opinion.

I already have Gloomhaven

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Well then you're lucky because you don't need the thread anymore. Should you get game z? No.

Easy :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mode 7 posted:

I think what I like about using this thread to inform game purchases is that if I say "I liked these things about x and these things about y, should I get z?" that the chances are high of someone having played all three games and being able to give me a useful, informed opinion.

Yeah I agree, anyway I think you should get Gloomhaven?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone should buy two copies of Gloomhaven so when you exhaust it with one group you introduce a whole new group of people to it fresh. This can include children too young to play. They'll grow into it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mode 7 posted:

You need Napoleon’s Triumph, Container, and The Great Zimbabwe.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I personally think we should get back to recommending AFfO for people wanting a good Ameritrash game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I personally think we should get back to recommending AFfO for people wanting a good Ameritrash game.

I’m on board. AFFO has output dice variance and lots of fiddly bits so it’s a pretty good suggestion.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Given how smooth it plays and the dice and all the stuff I'm not sure this is as terrible idea as it seems prima facie

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Triskelli posted:

Serious answer, Stuffed Fables. It’s got a cute setup (stuffed animals try to protect their owner from bad dreams), some decent minis, the mechanics are very light for a dungeon crawler with lots of dice rolling, each book page has an illustrated map, and the game has multiple campaigns in the form of simple choose your own adventure stories.

The game feels sparse mechanically if you’re playing it with just adults but the story was charming enough to keep me invested while I played. I’m sure kids would adore it.

Thanks. I’ll check this out.

It did not occur to me that the thread in general would react to my question with that much horror. I tend to generally agree with most of the opinions expressed in this thread so I’m curious what I’m missing. I can easily believe that Super Dungeon Explore is just garbage dice rolling Kickstarter crap but was thinking that since there’s a DM I could skew the difficulty as needed for my kids and they’d like the minis.

Everything I’ve read online about Mice and Mystics has been positive. Is there something lovely about this game I’m unaware of?

I’m looking for the next step of boardgame indoctrination for my kids. They really like Tsuro, which I don’t mind playing, but they also like Kids of Carcassone which I hate because it’s mindless. My son likes playing Bios Genesis with me, but he basically just rolls dice because there’s no way he could possibly understand the game mechanics.

TLDR: What game will be a good gateway drug to get my young kids into Gloomhaven?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We lent out Sushi Go, Seven Wonders, and Forbidden Desert and forgot to get them back before we moved. This is a good excuse for me to spend money on new games.

7 Wonders is a favorite of my wife's because she likes how it kind of feels like Civilization and the drafting is easy enough because she doesn't feel overwhelmed by options during her turn.

Sushi Go was just a fun filler that was easy to play while we waited for the rest of our group to arrive or when we didn't have enough time to play a more involved game.

Forbidden Island was picked up because it was coop but of the three this was the least enjoyed. It felt like whoever was the most vocal just tried to play everyone's turns for them. Maybe that's more of a problem with our group dynamics but it was a problem multiple games.

Any recommendations for alternate games? We are moving to a new area and don't know anyone so a high player count is less important.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Acceptableloss posted:

Thanks. I’ll check this out.

It did not occur to me that the thread in general would react to my question with that much horror. I tend to generally agree with most of the opinions expressed in this thread so I’m curious what I’m missing. I can easily believe that Super Dungeon Explore is just garbage dice rolling Kickstarter crap but was thinking that since there’s a DM I could skew the difficulty as needed for my kids and they’d like the minis.

It wasn't your opinions/game preferences we were reacting to (afaik), it's just the the previous couple of pages had been about the belief that the thread always recommends certain games no matter how inappropriate they are for people's requirements, and the obvious (but possibly wrong) snap answer to your post was "get Gloomhaven".

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

We lent out Sushi Go, Seven Wonders, and Forbidden Desert and forgot to get them back before we moved. This is a good excuse for me to spend money on new games.

7 Wonders is a favorite of my wife's because she likes how it kind of feels like Civilization and the drafting is easy enough because she doesn't feel overwhelmed by options during her turn.

Sushi Go was just a fun filler that was easy to play while we waited for the rest of our group to arrive or when we didn't have enough time to play a more involved game.

Forbidden Island was picked up because it was coop but of the three this was the least enjoyed. It felt like whoever was the most vocal just tried to play everyone's turns for them. Maybe that's more of a problem with our group dynamics but it was a problem multiple games.

Any recommendations for alternate games? We are moving to a new area and don't know anyone so a high player count is less important.

If you are looking for couples games specifically, Jaipur and Patchwork are both really great. If she liked 7 Wonders and it's just the two of you, 7 Wonders: Duel is very nice (I would recommend getting well bored of it before going for the expansion, which is good but not essential).

If you are looking for co-op that doesn't blow, Pandemic is a classic and Seasons 1 and 2 of Pandemic Legacy are among our favorite gaming experiences together. They both work great at 2. People here will recommend Spirit Island as a co-op but I would still recommend any version of Pandemic over it as a first real co-op experience. Pandemic>Spirit Island is a fight I'm willing to have any day.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 21, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Nobody thinks to recommend it anymore because we've all played it a billion times, but Dominion is a logical next step from 7 Wonders. Plays up to 4 and is excellent for 2. Deck building is similar to drafting, and the limited number of choices each game is easy to wrap your head around. Every game will have slightly different choices, but once you grasp the core ideas you could pick up any of the expansions and dive right in with minimal rules study. It even prints the rules right on the cards.

Valley of the Kings is even more similar to 7 Wonders because you score VPs via set collection. It has a higher barrier to entry than Dominion, though, because you'll see every single card every game, which can be a bit of a rules overload until you get a few plays under your belt.

Don't bother with any other deck builders, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CaptainRightful posted:

I still think there's a place for Paperback / Hardback if you like word games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SettingSun posted:

Everyone should buy two copies of Gloomhaven so when you exhaust it with one group you introduce a whole new group of people to it fresh. This can include children too young to play. They'll grow into it.

Reusable stickers, seriously, and an app, and then you dno't need to buy another copy, the only thing that actually is wrecked is the seals on the dark one's prison character boxes.

We did this for exactly your latter point, we want to play with our two kids.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

Woah woah woah has Eminent Domain fallen from grace?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Acceptableloss posted:

TLDR: What game will be a good gateway drug to get my young kids into Gloomhaven?

Maybe Dominion? It’ll teach hand management, engine building, and selectively sloughing (trashing) unneeded parts of the engine to get to the goal. There’s really no dungeon crawler that works the same way GH does aside from mage knight because rolling dice to hit target numbers seems to be the paired mechanic instead of any hand management stuff.

The thread reacts that way jokingly but the stuff that makes these games good for kids is the same reason this thread wouldn’t like them. Namely, dice resolution is good to help level the playing field so they wouldn’t be good for competitive play. (Even Richard Garfield talked about how mana screw and variable resources were included for MTG specifically for that purpose.) I’ve tried stuffed fables once when I’m in that weird try-anything mood and it’s fine for your needs. I posted my ire for it before because one of the LGS owners here who has kids tried pushing those games on me when he sees that my group plays grognard 18xx and wargames.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Woah woah woah has Eminent Domain fallen from grace?

Confession: I've never played it. But if someone has never played any deck builder, Dominion is certainly the place to begin.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm actually also curious about intro hand management games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ShaneB posted:

comedy option: eminent domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ShaneB posted:

Gloomhaven

:v: