Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

Because you didn't log in and kill something every day at the weekend? You had to kill a mob to earn a crate.

I bought this game during the weekend and Steam wouldn't let me log in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sweet, thanks. That was a big thing I was worried about, didn't wanna find out that I hosed myself cuz I took the wrong talents or whatever.
Couple more questions.

1. Have dungeons been rebalanced at all? Like two years ago (last time I played) i tried to do one with some people at the minimum level that it let me queue for and it was like...Every fight was a disaster and we couldnt even beat the second boss. Everything just did so much damage and we couldn't do much damage in turn.

2. Did they make skill points harder to come by, or is it just the Vvardenfell campaign? Because I could have sworn I was swimming in them in the base game but now I've barely gotten any like 3 hours into this character.

3. Are builds still kind of all or nothing? Not really talking endgame where I suppose is where things get more strict, but more like. I want my Dunmer Dragonknight to wear medium armor, while swinging a 2h and leaning heavily into the fire tree, is this just too spread thin in archetypes to be worthwhile? or is it fine.

Scyantific posted:

What you described is stamina dragonknight which is viable since they've rebalanced skills to offer stamina options. You'll still mostly be using weapon skills as a stamDK but at least you can breathe poison and use a poison claw which scale with stamina specs

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think I don't understand how abilities get progress to being morphed. My flame whip is like half way to morphing (It was the first ability I got and I'm level 15 right now) meanwhile I just picked up searing strike and after a little dungeon it was already morph ready.

I'll weigh in here as a dude who knows stam DKs pretty well. Now, first things first, there isn't, unfortunately, a stamina morph of Whip. However, Searing Strike and Fiery Breath both morph into Poison damage stamina abilities, so you're on the right path there. Those skills are always going to be on your bar somewhere. Many stam DKs also use Inferno, particularly it's Flames of Oblivion morph, the last skill in the Ardent Flame tree.

So yes, a medium-armor-wearing and 2h wielding DK is very much a thing. Try out Dual Wield as well since both it's first and last skills can serve very well as a spammable for stam DKs. Or hit stuff with a big stick, since that works pretty well, too.

As far as your morph question goes, skills level relative to your actual XP gained, so doing a dungeon, especially if you used the Random queue, will dumb a shitton of XP on you. Also, generally, base skills level very quickly while their morphs level slowly.

OH! And, if you need some skill points really quickly, the "small-sized DLC" zones each have 2 delves with a Skyshard each, as well as 4 Skyshards out in the wild of that zone (Hew's Bane, Gold Coast, Clockwork City). This is a great way to quickly get some skill points stocked up so you have a buffer as new skills and morphs become available.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've missed you bad, floob.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Jedit posted:

Because you didn't log in and kill something every day at the weekend? You had to kill a mob to earn a crate.
Nah, they arrived today.

But I only got garbage so :saddowns: after all

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Hamburger Test posted:

I have no sense of the value of gold in the game, for now I have been dumping all of it into increasing my inventory. When do you normally stop?

you always need money

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Aramek posted:

I've missed you bad, floob.

I've been around more lately but I have a drat blue screen of death thing going on with ESO in particular so it's been kinda hit-or-miss. Luv u, Ara bae.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm spending all of my money on loot crates. My family is starving. It's complete poo poo every time, but that Khajit keeps sucking me in.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Noob questions:

I sometimes see people using like a green spirit bear maul attack (not the Warden bear), what skill is that?

Can you use the active Werewolf skills outside of Werewolf form?

I don't understand how there are thousands of ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE <X> SKILLS GUIDE videos on Youtube and literally every single one of them is zoomed in on a character's face while a guy reads the skill text instead of like, showing the skill.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Noob questions:

I sometimes see people using like a green spirit bear maul attack (not the Warden bear), what skill is that?

Can you use the active Werewolf skills outside of Werewolf form?

It’s the proc of the Selene monster set (special two piece armor set you get doing Undaunted dungeon activities). https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Selene+Set Please don’t ask why spider themed armor summons a ghost bear.

No.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 21, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

balls of fury (velidreth) so much better than bear, especially if you position correctly and have 2 balls hit the boss you're fighting; might even be able to get all 3 to do so but I've never seen it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

He killed me once, so I left him hanging. :mad:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything of note I should do in Vvardenfell? I did a couple side stories and beat the main quest just a bit ago.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there anything of note I should do in Vvardenfell? I did a couple side stories and beat the main quest just a bit ago.

You can get motif pages by picking the pockets of the residents. There are daily quests you can do, with motif rewards as well as gear. You can collect dwemer parts in a public dungeon there to build yourself a theodolite pet. I think if you do the telvanni quests, you can get a special personality animation.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just found out Skyshards are a thing. I have no idea what they look like. I've done about 5 delves and explored most of the Morrowind zone and haven't picked any up. :sigh:

The game's 'tutorial' system is absolutely atrocious. It gives you a little mission to learn the basic controls, and then spits you out into the world with pretty much no further guidance on how anything works. I still don't know how to respec, how to learn to craft, I had to look up how to use my mount that I bought because that's never explained, and on and on. Let alone the extremely confusing DLC stuff and how that all even works.

The game seems quite fun, and I'm having a good time running around exploring and questing, but I think a lot of people are gonna bounce off after a couple hours because holy poo poo the new player experience isn't good at all.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
There are add-ons that show you where skyshards, books, other points of interest as well. I think a few of them are in the OP but I could be wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bardeh posted:

So I just found out Skyshards are a thing. I have no idea what they look like. I've done about 5 delves and explored most of the Morrowind zone and haven't picked any up

They're diamonds twice the size of your head shooting massive gently caress off lasers into the sky. Quite hard to miss, and once you've seen one you'll never need to ask again.

Definitely get the addon which shows them on the map and adds them to your compass.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1881-MapPins.html

This addon is a godsend. Shows you skyshards, lore books, delve boss locations, potential treasure chest locations, etc. It also puts a big red X on your map for you if you happen to have a crafting survey or treasure map for the zone you're in. I toggled it to show me where the Psijic breaches are as well.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beefeater posted:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1881-MapPins.html

This addon is a godsend. Shows you skyshards, lore books, delve boss locations, potential treasure chest locations, etc. It also puts a big red X on your map for you if you happen to have a crafting survey or treasure map for the zone you're in. I toggled it to show me where the Psijic breaches are as well.

Thanks! I installed it, and will give it a try next time I log on.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Bardeh posted:

So I just found out Skyshards are a thing. I have no idea what they look like. I've done about 5 delves and explored most of the Morrowind zone and haven't picked any up. :sigh:

The game's 'tutorial' system is absolutely atrocious. It gives you a little mission to learn the basic controls, and then spits you out into the world with pretty much no further guidance on how anything works. I still don't know how to respec, how to learn to craft, I had to look up how to use my mount that I bought because that's never explained, and on and on. Let alone the extremely confusing DLC stuff and how that all even works.

The game seems quite fun, and I'm having a good time running around exploring and questing, but I think a lot of people are gonna bounce off after a couple hours because holy poo poo the new player experience isn't good at all.

Go to your factions first city:
EP is Davons watch in stonefalls.
AD is vulkhel guard in Auridon.
DC is Daggerfall in Glenumbra.

An npc will show up with a quest to start you on the base game main story which is a better tutorial for brand new players.

You can also find the crafting certification quest NPCs. I found it easier to do them in the main starting cities than Vivec city, but ymmv. Also, join the fighters guild, mages guild and become Undaunted while you're there. You'll get the intimidate and persuade skills which come in handy during questing.

Respec shrines show up on the main map. Easiest ones to find, imo, are in Vivec city near the Vivec temple wayshrine.

I did a lot of googling when I first started so hope this helps you out some.

Edit:
Forgot about Cyrodiil. If you're at least level 10 do the welcome to cyrodiil quest to unlock Rapid Maneuver for movement speed while you train up your mount speed.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Cyrodiil

Crancherry fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 21, 2018

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't suppose there's a way to level the Support skill that doesn't involve the completely miserable PvP experience?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

I don't suppose there's a way to level the Support skill that doesn't involve the completely miserable PvP experience?

Assault & Support? Nooooope. Easiest way to go is find your alliance’s zerg, equip a healing staff and just heal people for a couple hours.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I've been doing that all night and it's been about 4 hours of:

1) Ask chat for group, get nothing
2) Run around for 20 minutes on my slowass mount looking for literally anything to do
3) Fort is under attack on map, spend 10 minutes running toward it
4) Get stunlocked 100%->0% in 2 seconds by stealth rogue
5) Respawn 10 minutes away, start running again
6) Fort is captured before I get there
7) Repeat

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Yeah I've been doing that all night and it's been about 4 hours of:

1) Ask chat for group, get nothing
2) Run around for 20 minutes on my slowass mount looking for literally anything to do
3) Fort is under attack on map, spend 10 minutes running toward it
4) Get stunlocked 100%->0% in 2 seconds by stealth rogue
5) Respawn 10 minutes away, start running again
6) Fort is captured before I get there
7) Repeat

:thatsPVP:

Battlegrounds is even worse.

You can get a little better anticipating where the action is happening, there's cues like skirmishes at lumberyards and farms, and zergs tend to work towards Elder Scroll locations, but without a group it really sucks. Maybe hop on Discord and see if some of the veteran PVPers will carry you for a bit?

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Remember, all pvp is bad and immoral.

It only causes hurt feelings, bad attitudes, and anti-authority sentiment.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I got a fabulous new hat to complete my outfit and one-up all those snooty elves of Summerset, but unfortunately my pointy ear appears to have punched a hole in it already:

Still, a bit of a dye job later and it sort-of works:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I trolled an AD scroll push again last night.

Here's about 10 minutes of zone chat losing their poo poo about it :sun:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 22, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Aramek posted:

Remember, all pvp is bad and immoral.

It only causes hurt feelings, bad attitudes, and anti-authority sentiment.

PVP is just capitalism in video game form, if you think about it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Aleth posted:

I got a fabulous new hat to complete my outfit and one-up all those snooty elves of Summerset, but unfortunately my pointy ear appears to have punched a hole in it already:

The classic Orko style!

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Scyantific posted:

I trolled an AD scroll push again last night.

Here's about 10 minutes of zone chat losing their poo poo about it :sun:

What's going on here? The scroll is like a capture the flag thing and you grabbed it and dropped it somewhere nobody could get it?

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.
Could I please get an invite to the guild? @Crodhmac

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

HolyCarp posted:

Depends. Are you still in that garbage guild DL? Cuz if you pvped with goons instead of against them, you might learn how to pvp instead of one-button mashing in a group of shitters.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

zjentohlauedy posted:

What's going on here? The scroll is like a capture the flag thing and you grabbed it and dropped it somewhere nobody could get it?

Basically, yes. Each faction has 2 scrolls that can be taken by the other factions for additional campaign points. AD was attempting to retrieve their own scroll, so I logged my AD toon, grabbed the scroll, and ran it into the water. The thing though, is if the scroll isn't placed at a temple or keep within a certain time frame, it times out and returns to the keep/temple it was taken from. Except, if the keep is not in the possession of the faction that was holding the scroll, it won't return there. So basically, it's points lost. The easiest way to do this is to just swim it out to the lake surrounding Imperial City, which happen to be infested with slaughterfish, so it's essentially stuck there because no one can get to it before they die.

HolyCarp posted:

Done

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2018

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I've fallen deep into the ESO hole again and could use a guild invite.

@minsky

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So I've got tamriel unlimited and like 8500 crowns on the account, but haven't played in a long time with just a few low level characters. Would it be best to buy morrowind and level through that?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

So I've got tamriel unlimited and like 8500 crowns on the account, but haven't played in a long time with just a few low level characters. Would it be best to buy morrowind and level through that?

Leveling through Morrowind is entirely viable but the 'classic' way of leveling (original MSQ and going through your faction zones) will get you A LOT more skillpoints than Morrowind alone. Morrowind still has the same skillpoints as other zones, but is way larger and covers more levels. Honestly the game can be done in any order you want, so feel free to explore if you get bored in any given zone. I did MSQ and EP, then DC and AD, each in order to get the full story, but you're not in any way obligated to go that route.

You can always do Morrowind, pop into other zones for skyshards and do dungeons with goons (1 skill point per dungeon via quest) and/or public dungeons (one skill point per boss event in each public dungeon, so one per zone, two for Morrowind)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Could I get an invite @Buschmaki? I'm running sub-50 battlegrounds over and over and cursing at my team a lot.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Buschmaki posted:

Could I get an invite @Buschmaki? I'm running sub-50 battlegrounds over and over and cursing at my team a lot.

invite sent, let us know to make sure you got it

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Do flame staffs ever get cool? All of the character ideas/builds that I think of and then research as a new player have me using those as weapons and they just feel lame as heck.

I’ve looked at magDK and magblade and magplar or whatever and it’s always the same. It just feels unfun to me so maybe you goons can help set me right. I like the idea of mixing some magic into my melee play style and I know it’s all subjective but what do you all tend to think is the most fun that fits with that? I have the above mentioned classes at like level 10 and a stamsorc as well.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Inferno staves are the highest single target magic weave, that's why they're used. Lightning staves are less single target, but way more AOE damage.

I like lightning way more, try that to see if you enjoy UNLIMITED POWER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramek posted:

Inferno staves are the highest single target magic weave, that's why they're used. Lightning staves are less single target, but way more AOE damage.

I like lightning way more, try that to see if you enjoy UNLIMITED POWER.

I have a hard time playing with staves other than lightning, it feels so much harder to do a heavy attack.