Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

FAUXTON posted:

I'd prefer to see Bezos et al react by pushing for the abolition of sales tax in all states, for the most part it's regressive as hell even if in Amazon's specific case it's being collected from people who largely can absorb the extra cost.

Sales tax is maybe a better way, definitely an easier way of taxing retailers. Bookkeeping is a massive dumpster fire and there's tons of ways you can pretend revenue is actually not revenue, profits are not profits, and things that aren't losses are losses, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Third World Reggin posted:

Don't worry, all white people probably should be.

I'll just ask that whoever is throwing me up against a wall that they take care of my doggos. They did nothing wrong. Except for the time Zelda ripped open her bag of dog food while I was doing yard work.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Sales tax is maybe a better way, definitely an easier way of taxing retailers. Bookkeeping is a massive dumpster fire and there's tons of ways you can pretend revenue is actually not revenue, profits are not profits, and things that aren't losses are losses, etc.

Except you're taxing consumers, not retailers.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Michael Avenatti owns so hard

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Right? The lack of an accessible and codified tracking system is nuts, even if one were on board with separating kids from parents.

:ice:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

According to CNBC the mean retirement savings of someone around 35 or so is in the low $30,000s range.

The median? About $500.

Retirement is gonna get real weird/nonexistent for a lot of people.

Hey that’s me! In that low 30,000s range and I’ve had a 401K I’ve been contributing too since at least 2011. But you know between my wife and I we have over $200,000K in student debt, my fathers Alzheimer’s has forced my mom near bankruptcy and I’m throwing as much money her way as possible, and every time I managed to save SOME money I get hit with a heath expense (our work provided medical insurance is awful), car expense, or god knows what else.

But I LOVE it when condescending boomers simply tell us how we are just lazy, and just need to hunker down and devote 22% of our paychecks to savings because they were able to! It’s easy!

My wife and I have basically given up on retirement. Might as well try to enjoy life now before climate change turns it into a hell hole so we changed our honeymoon plans from staying in country to doing our dream vacation to Europe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's morbid but barring any windfall or massive societal change, I plan on eating a bullet at 65 if I can't quit working.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hi. While regressive sales taxes are an important way for states to raise revenue for things like roads and schools and taxing online sales is long overdue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don’t know much about this candidate, but the link in the tweet leads to a very slick ad.

https://twitter.com/mjhegar/status/1009410731224248320?s=21

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If we really want to do away with a regressive tax we should ban the loving lottery.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

It's morbid but barring any windfall or massive societal change, I plan on eating a bullet at 65 if I can't quit working.

My wife and I will work until we are dead. And if at some point I’m forced to leave work early due to health issues or whatnot and it looks like I’ll be homeless or destitute . Well, there’s always the Anthony Bourdain way out..

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also I told someone once my retirement plan was a shotgun shell as a joke.

I don’t think it’s a joke anymore :sigh:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I'm fairly certain they tried it once on Always Sunny. If only I could remember how that worked out for them.

It ended up with Dennis and Dee addicted to crack

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1009832937548865536

Guess Melania heard this is where you go if you want to be forcibly removed from your family.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1009832937548865536

Guess Melania heard this is where you go if you want to be forcibly removed from your family.

GodDAMN.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
loving :lol: if anyone working age today expects to have a retirement outside of winning the lottery or being born rich. Boomers mortgaged the future of the country to have a wild economic party and now the bill is coming due.

What resources are people going to retire with, and what will they do it in? Home ownership is a cluster gently caress happening right now that's going to get really wild (again), student debt is a boat anchor around people's necks that's not going to get any better and the ACA's "bending the cost curve" of health care is beyond a joke.

Retirement. :laffo:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

More bad news. A death pool stunner.

Koko the gorilla dead at age 46.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/21/622160278/koko-the-gorilla-dies-redrew-the-lines-of-animal-human-communication

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I definitely plan on retirement and came from a family with no money, but I live rather atypically in order to plan on retiring. And there are still so many curveballs life could throw to grenade my plans.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1009464693101072384?s=19

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have a pension plan.

For now

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t know much about this candidate, but the link in the tweet leads to a very slick ad.

https://twitter.com/mjhegar/status/1009410731224248320?s=21

She has a varied rep in the community. The story is legendary and they were very lucky to come out alive. They got ambushed in a SAR trap and lit up on both sides in a steep valley. By the time they put the bird down, both miniguns (~4500 rounds of ammo per standard load out) were totally dry. The bird was covered in fuel, oil, and hydraulic fluid.

Despite this, some people don't like her because they think she embellished her career and stepped on people to get into politics, or simply because she's not a republican.

I take what they say with a grain of salt. It's hard to exaggerate the details of a mission that's caught on multiple video feeds and resulted in a DFC with V device. Whether she had to ruffle feathers or not to get to where she is, I don't care. She flew rescue and isn't your cookie cutter republican dicksuck. If I lived in her area I'd vote for her.

Internet Wizard posted:

It ended up with Dennis and Dee addicted to crack

I was kidding. I know how it ended. Come on, dude.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I contribute 6% of annual income to my 401k and have like 25k put away at a 28 so yay? Still not good

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I definitely plan on retirement and came from a family with no money, but I live rather atypically in order to plan on retiring. And there are still so many curveballs life could throw to grenade my plans.

I have enough memories of listening to my dad talk about how he didn't start a 401k until his mid 30s that by the time I started work I had a pretty good idea that "retirement" was depending on saving in my 20's before I had kids and ruined any hope of budgeting again.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Union pension baby, if my hours keep up I'll be making more while retired than while working. I don't think I'm going to live that long tho so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I contribute 6% of annual income to my 401k and have like 25k put away at a 28 so yay? Still not good

You don't get employer matching?

I'm using acorns to beef up my savings. 10x multiplier round ups really help, and I barely notice the 100 bucks a week I get from it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Immanentized posted:

You don't get employer matching?

You have to stick around long enough for the match to vest though and since you only get pay increases if you switch jobs...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the market isnt a retirement plan yall

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Vesting is a 5 year schedule so meh

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the market isnt a retirement plan yall

If the market fails to be a retirement plan (for people who load up in 401ks and do it "right") there are bigger issues to deal with, like rad roaches.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1009838615436898304?s=19

Let him rot until he dies, the state isn't executing him, just restricting his freedom until he's has freedom from life

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Getting a job in higher education is the way to go. You either have a pension or are instantly 100% vested with the 401k. I switched over from the corporate world a few years back and am never leaving.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Smiling Jack posted:

I have a pension plan.

For now

Same.

My state pension does so well, Illinois borrows from it to pay into other pensions.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have an excellent retirement plan

execution sucks tho

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

http://www.iuoe.org

http://www.liuna.org

https://www.teamster.org

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
DINK for life, save money like crazed hermits, gently caress having debt ever, paid off the property very rapidly. So far, so good, but life has a lot of curve balls it can throw at you.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 21, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My employer has a 401k and they match 50% up to 6% and it vests after three years so I figure I’m here for at least three years.

I figure if I ever get married it’ll be in my late 30s with a successful woman who has a great career who is more interested in saving a bunch of money than having kids so we can retire and vacation ASAP.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

My employer has a 401k and they match 50% up to 6% and it vests after three years so I figure I’m here for at least three years.

I figure if I ever get married it’ll be in my late 30s with a successful woman who has a great career who is more interested in saving a bunch of money than having kids so we can retire and vacation ASAP.

Same on the first part, but I'm probably going to marry a hairstylist without a college degree. Fortunately, I have in-demand skills, and a rocksolid network. The parents are all very well off, so I might tell them they can have grandkids if they pay for college, other deferred big ticket costs.
My "retirement" plan is teaching community college or something. I'll have a good nest egg, but drat if I go off benefits.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Immanentized posted:

Same on the first part, but I'm probably going to marry a hairstylist without a college degree. Fortunately, I have in-demand skills, and a rocksolid network. The parents are all very well off, so I might tell them they can have grandkids if they pay for college, other deferred big ticket costs.
My "retirement" plan is teaching community college or something. I'll have a good nest egg, but drat if I go off benefits.

I have some bad news...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

DINK for life

:) :hf: :)

mlmp08 posted:

So far, so good, but life has a lot of curve balls it can throw at you.

Yeah this is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night. I grew up dealing with a ton of loving curve balls and I'm constantly reminded another one could hit me at any time. I'm just glad I made it to where I am today and I'm hopeful that I've braved the worst of it.

boop the snoot posted:

My employer does the same. I'm 31 and I've been putting money into it since I was 24 (a lot more seriously since I was 27) and I've got about 60K in there right now. I think we become 100% vested after 3 years, so I just keep upping my percentage every year. Right now I save 13% and will probably cap myself at around 20 or so.

Also, your plan is solid enough. My fiance and I don't want kids, she has a solid career as a veterinarian (she's now a veterinary professor with a state school), I am cool with my steady low key career as the work life balance is loving amazing so I can actually get poo poo done around the house without stressing, and we save money while also enjoying ourselves, because gently caress it, we're only gonna live once. I think you need to find a balance between being frugal and saving if you can, but while also enjoying the fruits of your labor by spending a little. People who go to the extremes in either direction weird me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have some bad news...

It depends- pretty much every education union is fighting for benefits for adjuncts right now, so it's possible they could have them in 30 years. They won't though.

You have to have a masters to teach at a community college though, so plan accordingly.

• Locked thread