Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I don't understand how someone's dream must own car is a Mini. Unless you are a huge fan of The Italian Job or something.

But it's an exotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CitizenKain posted:

I don't understand how someone's dream must own car is a Mini. Unless you are a huge fan of The Italian Job or something.

I think I've shared here before that my neighbor bought her dream car a few years ago, a Mercury Mountaineer.

Some people do not dream big.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Exactly. You either dream big or dream mini.

I’ll show myself out, thanks

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Enchanted Hat posted:

Maybe you Yanks should learn to speak proper English. :smug:

Actually, no, "let" is perfectly OK but I have to admit that writing "If you've more than one property" is just anarchy.

I think excluding land and buildings makes perfect sense, though. If you're letting a home, chances are the value is going up, not down, so you don't need a tax break.

Buildings really do depreciate though, and in cases where they don't you pay recapture tax which is not as favorable as capital gains.

E: you've is a perfectly acceptable contraction for "you have" ????

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

Buildings really do depreciate though, and in cases where they don't you pay recapture tax which is not as favorable as capital gains.

It's a little weird to American ears to hear it as a contraction for "you have", meaning "you possess", whilst hearing it as a contraction for "you have ____", meaning you ______ed in the past, or "you have to ____" as an imperative to ____ is perfectly cromulent.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It doesn't sound weird to my American ears.

Though I might say it more like "you've got multiple properties" instead of "you've multiple properties".

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

SlapActionJackson posted:

Man, we have surviving buildings from the BCs. I'm not an expert on buildings, but as long as you do proper maintenance, I'd expect a house to remain standing for a really, really long time. And I think maintenance expenses are deductible, but don't quote me on that, I know very little about this area of tax.

And as OneTruePecos says, it's weird to see "you've" used like this. If it's referring to ownership of a house, I'd expect either "if you have a house" or "if you've got a house", but "if you've a house" just looks and sounds incorrect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enchanted Hat posted:

And as OneTruePecos says, it's weird to see "you've" used like this. If it's referring to ownership of a house, I'd expect either "if you have a house" or "if you've got a house", but "if you've a house" just looks and sounds incorrect.

Broaden your media horizons!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

canyoneer posted:

I think I've shared here before that my neighbor bought her dream car a few years ago, a Mercury Mountaineer.

Wait I'm confused, I thought realistic and attainable goals were a good thing in this corner of SA

There's something to envy from those who have life aspirations and longtime desires that even a 35k/yr job can fulfill

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enchanted Hat posted:

Man, we have surviving buildings from the BCs. I'm not an expert on buildings, but as long as you do proper maintenance, I'd expect a house to remain standing for a really, really long time. And I think maintenance expenses are deductible, but don't quote me on that, I know very little about this area of tax.

Unless you're building your house out of hand-carved stone blocks like the Incans, it's probably going to fall apart and require a full rebuild in less than a century. The timescales for building depreciation do seem very generous though.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Unless you're building your house out of hand-carved stone blocks like the Incans, it's probably going to fall apart and require a full rebuild in less than a century. The timescales for building depreciation do seem very generous though.

Oh, really? I had no idea, my bad! I thought you could keep a brick house standing pretty much indefinitely.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Enchanted Hat posted:

Oh, really? I had no idea, my bad! I thought you could keep a brick house standing pretty much indefinitely.

The 1% rule of thumb for home maintenance costs basically implies a 100 year depreciation schedule. That doesn't mean everything in your house will last exactly 100 years, just that it averages out. Those brick walls may stand for a couple hundred years (though not without maintenance...), but the floors and roof may need to be replaced 3 times in the first century.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Even the brick exteriors will eventually need tuck pointing as the mortar and bricks will have different expansion/contraction cycles with seasonal temperature changes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, define complete rebuild. There are plenty of Victorian era buildings around in CO, even a bunch of old wood frontier houses. The house I grew up in will be turning 100 soon, and I can tell you with confidence that aside from the places that were remodeled for improvements rather than repairs, a whole lot of it is still original.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, define complete rebuild. There are plenty of Victorian era buildings around in CO, even a bunch of old wood frontier houses. The house I grew up in will be turning 100 soon, and I can tell you with confidence that aside from the places that were remodeled for improvements rather than repairs, a whole lot of it is still original.

I can guarantee that vastly more than 100% of the original build cost of a 100 year old wooden house in currently saleable condition has been spent on maintenance. You could expect that the roof, windows, siding, and every major system has been replaced or overhauled 4-5 times in 100 years.

Jan 11, 2004

Enchanted Hat posted:

Of course you can, by constantly putting money into upkeep. Also the huge majority of "brick houses" are actually brick veneer built with ties over a wooden frame.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I can guarantee that vastly more than 100% of the original build cost of a 100 year old wooden house in currently saleable condition has been spent on maintenance. You could expect that the roof, windows, siding, and every major system has been replaced or overhauled 4-5 times in 100 years.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/keldur-hall

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50JeC8igR8

Jan 11, 2004

Yeah there are many types of interesting and unusual dwelling structures that can survive for indefinite time periods as long as they are constantly maintained.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wasnt disagreeing with you

just imagine how much they've spent on the upkeep, all the way to a time where they fuckin didn't use currency in internal matters and bartered in external

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OneTruePecos posted:

It's a little weird to American ears to hear it as a contraction for "you have", meaning "you possess", whilst hearing it as a contraction for "you have ____", meaning you ______ed in the past, or "you have to ____" as an imperative to ____ is perfectly cromulent.

Yes, it's.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

People who live paycheck-to-paycheck denominate their lives in 2 week increments, it is more intuitive to understand a biweekly payment based on a biweekly paycheck than it is to understand a monthly payment.

Best example i have ever seen of this. Had an acquaintance that went through the whole interview and hiring process for a state job. Got an offer that was a 10-15% pay increase, and ended up turning it down because they only pay once a month.

So many people tried to talk them through it, but they couldn't understand how they could get their check on the first and pay rent and then somehow pay their credit card, car, etc without their check on the 15th.

Sad part is they were probably right as that money they got on the first would've been gone by the time everything else was due.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

zonacat posted:

Best example i have ever seen of this. Had an acquaintance that went through the whole interview and hiring process for a state job. Got an offer that was a 10-15% pay increase, and ended up turning it down because they only pay once a month.

So many people tried to talk them through it, but they couldn't understand how they could get their check on the first and pay rent and then somehow pay their credit card, car, etc without their check on the 15th.

Sad part is they were probably right as that money they got on the first would've been gone by the time everything else was due.

That's ok. The pay increase would have put him in a higher tax bracket so he would make less money overall.

\s

Jan 11, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasnt disagreeing with you

just imagine how much they've spent on the upkeep, all the way to a time where they fuckin didn't use currency in internal matters and bartered in external

Yeah apparently what happens to those turf houses is that eventually the root structure in the sod just decomposes and that is what provides the structural integrity to the walls. So you have to cut out new turf blocks and meticulously replace them within the standing structure.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Depreciation is an accounting and tax concept for matching the costs of acquiring some large asset to the revenue it generates over a long period of time. It is not a description of the actual condition or lifespan of the physical asset, nor is it a description of the market value of the asset.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 21, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

sale on Banksy art posted:

Depreciation is an accounting and tax concept for matching the costs of acquiring some large asset to the revenue it generates over a long period of time. It is not a description of the actual condition or lifespan of the physical asset, nor is it a description of the market value of the asset.

Additionally, tax depreciation is based on the premise that people will try to write down assets as fast as possible, while financial reporting assumes people want to write down assets as slowly as possible and the rules for both may or may not overlap as a result.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the simple addition that gets you from two weeks to a month? (The only car loan I’ve ever had was paid every two weeks, as with my mortgage.)

pr0zac posted:

Not trying to be mean, but you're really kind of undermining your own argument here.

Yes, I hosed up. I read it as he was dividing his monthly payment in half for the purposes of his post, not that he actually had a bi-weekly i.e. 26 payment/year schedule. I guess because my brain just rejected the idea that someone would pay that much on those terms for a used $27k Mini Cooper. I should know better, reading this thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ixian posted:

Yes, I hosed up. I read it as he was dividing his monthly payment in half for the purposes of his post, not that he actually had a bi-weekly i.e. 26 payment/year schedule.
I think what prozac meant was that 330 times 2 is not 760.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

moana posted:

I think what prozac meant was that 330 times 2 is not 760.

I know, hence the hosed up part. The irony, etc.

My shame is almost entirely mitigated by the fact I don't have that guys car payment. Or, for that matter, car (sorry Mini lovers).

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The IFRS defines depreciation as the systematic allocation of the depreciable amount of an asset over its useful life, so it is a reflection of the lifespan of the physical asset. The other depreciation method in IAS 16 is the revaluation method where you periodically revalue the asset and set its value to the fair (market) value. So under IFRS, depreciation is in fact a description of the lifespan of the physical asset or a description of the market value, depending on the method you use.

I feel bad about putting boring accounting chat in the BWM thread, so I'm going to derail bird myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

SO many posts on /r/personalfinance where some early 20's "dream car" is either a WRX or some idiotic 2r year old Japanese mustang. Most often times these are cars they have never actually driven, but would be otherwise reasonably attainable on an average salary if the idiot in question weren't 23 with 6 moving violations on their driving record.

But yeah....I mean.....dream better. It's fine to have an achievable goal as well, but describing things like that as your "dream" is just a little sad.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Advice for a 20 year old who feels stuck.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8sq4up/advice_for_a_20_year_old_who_feels_stuck/

quote:

Hi everyone. I wanted to see what this community had to say about my predicament. I'm 20 years old, work a job that maybe makes me a little over $100 a week, and I have nothing to my name. My fiancé works about 35-39 hours a week and makes anywhere from $350 to the upper 400's every two weeks. We live with his parents and they pay for our car insurance, phone bills, etc. Long story short, I'm ready to leave. But he and I together do not make enough money to support ourselves comfortably. His car gets HORRIBLE gas milage and mine skips.

My question is, where do we start so we can be on our own? There is nowhere to even rent near us and even if there was, like I said, we don't make enough. Our expenses are basically gas, groceries for ourselves, food for our cat and payments on my college stuff (when I do make them). It just seems like we can't hold any money in our accounts. My fiancé doesn't have a credit score and mine is 665, if that helps.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

Luckily our family life is fine. My fiancé’s mom is absolutely fine with housing us, I’m just sick of living here.

:doh:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Struggling with huge debt for years, thinking about declaring bankruptcy
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8s0ky9/struggling_with_huge_debt_for_years_thinking/

quote:

I've been struggling with debt for years, and it has hardly gone down. I'm barely able to sustain myself and I've been lagging behind on bills more and more. I think I need to do something about this soon.

Basically, my debt comes down to two major ones: My auto loan and credit card. My family made a huge mistake of trading in two underwater cars, and I have a monthly payment of $600. I've gotten my payments delayed much as possible, and even then I've been paying late constantly. I still have $34k to pay off and my car's estimated value is less than half of that, not to mention I've had to hold off maintenance on it. I owe $11k on my credit card because of hard times a few years ago. The minimum payment is about $230, and I lose about $130 on interest, and I can't afford to pay it down. I also have about $3.5k worth of debt in store credit, although most of those are getting paid down.

I make about $2100 a month right now and my family has been lending an inconsistent amount of money to help. My sister is supposed to help pay it off, but her employment has been unsteady and is also awful at managing her finances. We're all hoping to be making more money soon, but then again that's what I've been telling myself for years.

The credit card I could consider consolidating, but the car payment is absolutely the most oppressive one. I wish I could sell my car and buy something much cheaper, but auto loans just don't work that way. I'm about $16-18k in deficit. My boss is suggesting one option I could try is to buy a used car (He could help me get one without going into a monthly plan) and then let the lender collect on my current car then declare bankruptcy. Even getting rid of the car payment alone would help me a lot, and I really need to do something about it. But is declaring bankruptcy worth it in my case?

$18k underwater on a $34k car is almost impressive. He'd be fine if his financially irresponsible sister would help him pay off all these stupid debts like she's supposed to! :bahgawd:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

My family made a huge mistake of trading in two underwater cars, and I have a monthly payment of $600.
I'm confused.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

quote:

I wish I could sell my car and buy something much cheaper, but auto loans just don't work that way.

Lmbo... well actually it can work that way. You just don't trade in two underwater cars into another underwater car. I like the whole "my family" did it too... presumably one of these underwater cars was his sisters? The other maybe his own? His mom's? Hopefully someone else.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
That kid needs to just stop paying for a few months, put the money he saved into a used beater, and let them repo the car. If they come after him for a deficiency balance he can BK, and he may as well do it sooner rather than later. I can't believe he agreed to take a loan to cover negative equity on a family member's car. What a dumbass.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I get it that she wants to move out because most 20 year olds don't like living at home, but they make a combined $25k/year, which is just over the poverty line for 2 people. Even in the small town south, I don't know how you make that work. And I think she said they don't want an apartment, they want a house, or something with a yard.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Uh...$350-400/2wks? What the gently caress...

Splicer posted:

I'm confused.
You and me both. Pure BWM gold.

therobit posted:

That kid needs to just stop paying for a few months, put the money he saved into a used beater, and let them repo the car. If they come after him for a deficiency balance he can BK, and he may as well do it sooner rather than later. I can't believe he agreed to take a loan to cover negative equity on a family member's car. What a dumbass.
Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Depreciation is based on the approximate expected life of the item. Insurance companies use depreciation tables, too, to determine the approximate value of an item that was lost in an insurable event. It only relates to revenue insofar as it's alao a system by which the tax burden attached to your revenue stream can be reduced.