Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

ill level with all of you ive never actually played the first donkey kong country, just 2 and 3
It's a very pleasant/inoffensive game that is ultimately pretty unremarkable in most categories that would matter in a platformer. 2 took all the good parts and made it far more interesting and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm not that far in Hollow Knight (I just beat a floating wizard that gives you the downstrike) but the bosses seem...fine I guess? I dunno, they aren't bad but they aren't anything that interesting so far either. It doesn't help that I'm coming off of Bloodstained and Iconoclasts, both games that I feel excel in their boss designs.

i sincerely love seeing people go "I'm not that far..." and then describe something I've never seen lmao. it's been so long since my last movement upgrade i must be going in all the wrong directions

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

ill level with all of you ive never actually played the first donkey kong country, just 2 and 3

the soundtrack is dope in an entirely different way than 2 and 3 but otherwise you're not missing much

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Robo Turnus posted:

Reintalling DOOM for the 3rd or 4th time. They pretty much made perfect game. It rules. I hope they don't try to alter the formula too much for the newer one they're making.

I bought it to play multiplayer with friends. Is the single-player worth sinking time in?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DKC1 is cool, you should still play it if you enjoyed the other two at all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

rear end posted:

I bought it to play multiplayer with friends. Is the single-player worth sinking time in?
You're probably the first person I've seen that actually bought new Doom for the multiplayer.

Anyway, yeah, new Doom's campaign is fantastic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Hmm I've got just the thing to convince you to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NkzXdtcPQ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In hollow knight i bought the light and visited like every area of the game before i found the city boss at like the 15 hour mark. I was like huh doesnt this game have bosses?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Accordion Man posted:

You're probably the first person I've seen that actually bought new Doom for the multiplayer.

Anyway, yeah, new Doom's campaign is fantastic.

My friends wanted me to tag along, and the demon gamemode was insanely fun lol.

But yeah I enjoyed the gunplay in the game so heck I might play it after beating VLR.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I regret playing DOOM on PS4 (my brother loaned the disc to me) and not PC because it'd be so much better with mouse controls. It takes so long to spin in a circle with the thumb stick.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I mean yeah, an fps with a controller, what were you expecting

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Looper posted:

i sincerely love seeing people go "I'm not that far..." and then describe something I've never seen lmao. it's been so long since my last movement upgrade i must be going in all the wrong directions

It was fun following the Hollow Knight posts when it got released because no one could give proper directions to anyone as they were all lost

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

Tears for Fears utterly owns and "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" is my favourite song made between 1980 and 1989. In fact, I would say it is my most favourite 80s song ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGNPtBX7Nk

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKAc3nYEatw

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

rear end posted:

I mean yeah, an fps with a controller, what were you expecting

It was free :saddowns:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofm6PARSVM

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu-ywHeD88

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:( I do not like it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

doom plays pretty great with a controller imo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dkc1 is solid but i think it's overshadowed in every way by the following two

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

dkc1 is solid but i think it's overshadowed in every way by the following two

dkc2 for sure, but 3 is the worst of the three imo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
DKC1 is good but you can also tell that the majority of time was spent getting it just to work and the level design suffers from it and gets a bit repetitive after awhile.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's cool you actually get to play as Donkey Kong in DKC1

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

dkc2 for sure, but 3 is the worst of the three imo

i think 3 has extremely solid level design, and i don't hate kiddy kong like the rest of the internet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't the Donkey Kong of DKC1 actually Donkey Kong, Jr., and the original Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't the Donkey Kong of DKC1 actually Donkey Kong, Jr., and the original Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong

Yuuup

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think DK Jr is supposed to be DK's dad

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/radiatoryang/status/1009668561323941889

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finally, jiggle physics that make sense

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Godammit Umbacano why you do me dirty like that? I still had four Ayleid statues to give you :(

My 100% Oblivion completion :negative:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Finally, jiggle physics that make sense

It's the guy who made the game where dicks are shaped like guns because "Yang’s had several rather public feuds with Twitch, because the site refuses to allow streaming of explicit games, or at least games that show dicks explicitly. Instead, the “penises” are actually guns, representing the most omnipresent of gaming weapons." so it was probably going to be really great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Steam summer sale started...servers are down ...the usual

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm really loving Hollow Knight and I'm glad I've made it as far as I have because I'm not a fan of having parts of the game told to me before I get there by people casually dropping spoilers because it doesn't meet their personal threshold of interest for secrecy. It's a game that's built all around discovery and mystery and then you have people openly talk about late game things that I was surprised and excited to find on my own. I'd hate to have that sense of wonder, however small and stupid it might, be spoiled because someone else thought that it wasn't important enough for them to tag (although it was important enough to bring up).

I know I'm in the minority with my thoughts on avoiding spoilers of smaller things, but it's a new release for a lot of people and I'm excited to be part of the Hollow Knight conversation. There's a reason I'm not looking through the Hollow Knight wikia, or reading the dedicated thread (if there is one), or hovering over spoiler'd text that's clearly beyond where I am. Now, admittedly, the thing that set me off on this was really small and hardly a spoiler, but I have strong feelings about having my chance to find something out for myself taken away from me involuntarily, particularly when the game is so new to so many.

This is my stupid, petty crusade.

Anyway, I'm also pumped about trying the Octopath Traveler demo but I'm hooked by Hollow Knight and haven't closed the game since I started it. I don't want it to end, which is cool because the game keeps giving me new areas to explore. Last night I was on a roll and gained four upgrades in like an hour and half, all stemming from an item I had overlooked, and now I'm jazzed to head back to old barriers and see what's hiding behind them.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Did The Crew seriously move enough units to justify a sequel? The whole thing sounded kinda bland to me and it's not like we had any shortage of fancy car racing games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I spoilered the one minor thing I posted about :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sick, valve finally released a brand new game today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did The Crew seriously move enough units to justify a sequel? The whole thing sounded kinda bland to me and it's not like we had any shortage of fancy car racing games.

Ubisoft is really into attempting to recoup sunk costs. Also considering how well AssCreed 2, Watch Dogs 2, and R6 Siege Year 2 turned out, maybe they are onto something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ubisoft isn’t like EA, they commit pretty heavily to their properties and usually end up turning public opinion around well enough to sell gangbusters on the sequel.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft isn’t like EA, they commit pretty heavily to their properties and usually end up turning public opinion around well enough to sell gangbusters on the sequel.

EA is trying to do the same with Payback, that game bombed and they just popped out a huge new update for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

The complete 180 people did on Mario Rabbids from the leaks to the actual showing was pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The complete 180 people did on Mario Rabbids from the leaks to the actual showing was pretty awesome

Well that was just the game being actually good, against all loving odds

• Locked thread