Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Double Punctuation posted:

As a STEM student, we did indeed go into this exact case study.

We used it as a case study in three different classes.

Turns out, a lot went wrong. It was just a horrible cascade of failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Renegret posted:

It was just a horrible cascade of failures.

Swiss cheese model.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/GcKsfM8.gifv

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
aw i was so sure it was going to roll back on him

oh well

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

aw i was so sure it was going to roll back on him

oh well

If that was a movie, the rock landing would have thrown something up in the air and landed on him

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

If that was a movie Monkey Island, the rock landing would have thrown something up in the air and landed on him

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
How could you push that off and immediately turn around, missing a pretty gnarly landing?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

xergm posted:

How could you push that off and immediately turn around, missing a pretty gnarly landing?

"Quick, lean over that dangerous drop to see what happens when things fall off it!"

:gb2gbs:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where's that gif of a guy getting his head smashed in by a rock ejected from under a backhoe's tire 100 yards away?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Swiss cheese model.

R101 threshold

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
The GIF cuts off too early; the boulder hits the abandoned trampoline from his previous attempt and bounces back up to smash him flat.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

plainswalker75 posted:

The GIF cuts off too early; the boulder hits the abandoned trampoline from his previous attempt and bounces back up to smash him flat.

I heard it landed on the end of a tree that had partly fallen over and was laying on top of another rock, while at the same time a bobcat was sitting on the other end of the tree.

There were no survives.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
OSHA: There were no survives

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe I'm missing something but this story doesn't seem to explain that phrase at all :psyduck:

[Writing over the fountain: ‘Jesus cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink’. Sign on the left: ‘Non-potable water’.]

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ekuNNN posted:

maybe I'm missing something but this story doesn't seem to explain that phrase at all :psyduck:

I had to look it up myself. It's a reference to a Scratch tape, which more or less is just a just in case spare that you test computer upgrades on first in case it breaks your poo poo, back when that was still a thing.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

I had to look it up myself. It's a reference to a Scratch tape, which more or less is just a just in case spare that you test computer upgrades on first in case it breaks your poo poo, back when that was still a thing.

Ah thanks, that makes sense.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hoooooooooooly poo poo. I doubt anyone in that car survived.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Buff Skeleton posted:

Hoooooooooooly poo poo. I doubt anyone in that car survived.

Broken back, head injuries and a whole bunch of broken bones, but the driver lived and was expected to make a full recovery.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I wonder why that car was stopped in the right lane.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mozi posted:

I wonder why that car was stopped in the right lane.

looks like traffic just backed up as its a turn lane

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's okay to miss an exit. Just turn around at the next one and live another day. Geez.

I still have to dump the contents of my dashcam. I'm pretty sure I caught someone bailing out of an exit lane far too late and launching off a median.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

looks like traffic just backed up as its a turn lane

The number of times I've seen this happen on my normal commute is pretty amazing. People just assume that the lane they're changing into on a blind move is always clear. I've been running a dashcam (which captures both the view over the hood, and myself) for the last 4 months and of course, they've been boring commutes.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Memento posted:

Broken back, head injuries and a whole bunch of broken bones, but the driver lived and was expected to make a full recovery.

Jesus! That's incredible. Really goes to show how far car safety has come if someone could actually live through a metal meatgrinder like that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Jesus! That's incredible. Really goes to show how far car safety has come if someone could actually live through a metal meatgrinder like that.

The children's backpack and lunchbox hurtling down the road is not a pleasant sight.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The number of times I've seen this happen on my normal commute is pretty amazing. People just assume that the lane they're changing into on a blind move is always clear. I've been running a dashcam (which captures both the view over the hood, and myself) for the last 4 months and of course, they've been boring commutes.

It's honestly amazing that most people aren't dead because anyone who's been on a motorway will witness like a hundred possible deaths on each journey.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hemale in pain posted:

It's honestly amazing that most people aren't dead because anyone who's been on a motorway will witness like a hundred possible deaths on each journey.

Yesterday I'm driving down a 4-lane road with a Jersey barrier in the middle of it, and rather than walk to a crosswalk this dude just walks across 2 lanes of it and waits for a while until it's clear so he can climb over the barrier and cross the remaining two lanes.

I mean, that's literally one of the most dangerous things you can do short of playing Russian roulette or wingsuiting, but to him it ain't no thing.

I'd like to think that if people lived to be 10,000 years old that *nobody* would do that, *ever*, but we're so bad at risk analysis we probably still would.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

azurite posted:

It's okay to miss an exit. Just turn around at the next one and live another day. Geez.

I still have to dump the contents of my dashcam. I'm pretty sure I caught someone bailing out of an exit lane far too late and launching off a median.

It's also ok to know that you want exit 45 and get into the exit lane around mile 43 instead of trying to pass every big truck possible before exiting at the last moment. I regularly see people pull the "gotta pass the big truck, poo poo gotta exit across the gore point cutting off the big truck RIGHT NOW" and luckily they haven't hit me or anything else. They could sit in the right lane behind me for 2 extra seconds but noooooo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
or 'poo poo, missed the exit, i'll just back up about 20 feet...'

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mozi posted:

once went past someone who was reversing back up a exit from the motorway. like i dunno wtf they were doing because it would be impossible to rejoin.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

I'm sure a Tesla wouldn't miss the exit.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

CannonFodder posted:

It's also ok to know that you want exit 45 and get into the exit lane around mile 43 instead of trying to pass every big truck possible before exiting at the last moment. I regularly see people pull the "gotta pass the big truck, poo poo gotta exit across the gore point cutting off the big truck RIGHT NOW" and luckily they haven't hit me or anything else. They could sit in the right lane behind me for 2 extra seconds but noooooo

This. On my daily commute I pass through the interchange of two major freeways, and the number of people that are busting rear end in the far left most lane to pass as many cars as possible, and then slamming on the brakes to change three lanes to the right at the last minute to exit is crazy. Of course, this action causes everyone like me to drat near lock up their brakes for hundreds of feet on back. This is on a tightly packed freeway with a 65mph speed limit with the entire body of traffic driving at least 10 over. I mean, come on you miserable SOB, you drive this route every loving day, and you knew drat well you wanted to exit there WHY WERE YOU FOUR LANES OVER!? Jerk. Yeah, I'm a screamer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I keep repeating that if I were ever to drive in the US it'd be in a beat to poo poo LC70 with a burly as gently caress exocage. Merge into me you loving rear end in a top hat, I double dare you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mozi posted:

Many people seem to have a pathological hatred of 'go to the next exit and turn around'. Doesn't matter how far away it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Renegret posted:

We used it as a case study in three different classes.

Turns out, a lot went wrong. It was just a horrible cascade of failures.

Yeah, I've heard the story used as an example in several different contexts as well, ranging from workplace safety to ergonomics to task procedures to software design to mechanical engineering.

1) the mechanical engineers should have designed the machine with a hardware interlock to prevent the electron beam from firing at full power unless the shield was in place
2) the software engineers/testing team should have detected and fixed the race condition before approving the code
3) the steps in the operating procedure should have been extremely clear and rigid (or even software-limited) to reduce the chance of the error occurring
4) in the case of an error, the user interface should have given comprehensible error messages and/or should require a full reset of the system to a known state before proceeding
5) once the problem was discovered, the AECL's fix should have been more robust than "put a piece of tape over the Back button so that you can't use it any more"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Phanatic posted:

Yesterday I'm driving down a 4-lane road with a Jersey barrier in the middle of it, and rather than walk to a crosswalk this dude just walks across 2 lanes of it and waits for a while until it's clear so he can climb over the barrier and cross the remaining two lanes.

I mean, that's literally one of the most dangerous things you can do short of playing [strike]Russian[/strike] Ukranian roulette or wingsuiting, but to him it ain't no thing.

I'd like to think that if people lived to be 10,000 years old that *nobody* would do that, *ever*, but we're so bad at risk analysis we probably still would.

Spent some time in Ukraine recently touring with my band. While in a van on the highway between Kiev and Odessa, I noticed with some horror that there are actual crosswalks marked on the highway. We're talking 2-4 lanes, sometimes with a center barrier, sometimes not, with a goddamn PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK at certain places.

Also, on/off ramps are a sometimes food on that highway. Was lots of fun on the bus back the other direction, which had to occasionally stop at small villages that required getting off the highway and backtracking down a dirt road for 15 minutes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A race condition was the root cause of the giant North East blackout of 2003 as well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

So...

finance? :v:

One of our on-call troubleshooting guides has a step 0 of "Take a deep breath and don't panic. It's only money."

doing software for super critical systems would terrify me ngl

It's A Thing with humans where there are going to be points where you screw up, it's pretty much guaranteed, all you can really do is layer systems to avoid swiss cheese and then pray that your lapses don't coincide with anyone else's

that one hotel overhang collapse story that crops up with details about "yeah a bunch of the engineers involved guilted themselves to death" sticks with me any time I commit a typo and I thank every lucky star that I'm not responsible for poo poo like that

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 22, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sagebrush posted:

1) the mechanical engineers should have designed the machine with a hardware interlock to prevent the electron beam from firing at full power unless the shield was in place

If I remember correctly, one of the main reasons the machine was dangerous was because the hardware interlock had been removed. It was in a prior model with similar software, but they thought it was no longer necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

azurite posted:

If I remember correctly, one of the main reasons the machine was dangerous was because the hardware interlock had been removed. It was in a prior model with similar software, but they thought it was no longer necessary.

Tbf if your hardware interlock is "blows a fuse" I would argue the interlock needs some more engineering