Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man they really watched a fuckload of Smallville before they wrote this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man oh man, I didn't feel much when the news of Winn being cut from the main cast broke but I've rewatched that goodbye scene like 5 times already. The second Alex comes on screen I'm completely wrecked. Chyler Leigh can emote and I felt that big sister/little brother thing completely in that moment and choked up.

Some ups and downs of the season but I loved that finale from James suiting up and the Legion popping back in for the massive superhero team up to turning me into a baby with a music montage only to make me "WTF?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That episode was a jumbled mess but it was at least a fun one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Man oh man, I didn't feel much when the news of Winn being cut from the main cast broke but I've rewatched that goodbye scene like 5 times already. The second Alex comes on screen I'm completely wrecked. Chyler Leigh can emote and I felt that big sister/little brother thing completely in that moment and choked up.

Some ups and downs of the season but I loved that finale from James suiting up and the Legion popping back in for the massive superhero team up to turning me into a baby with a music montage only to make me "WTF?"

I completely forgot he was the first person she told about her being Supergirl.

J'onn's not off the show, right? The way he left the DEO felt like more of a send-off than Wynn (who we know is coming back next year, just not regularly).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They haven't said anything about Harewood's role with the show changing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was Martian Manhunter actually leaving the DEO? I guess I stopped paying attention there, I thought the two were basically just switching roles so MM would be more of a field agent now.

He put on his cool hat and overcoat like an old timey detective, i assumed he's on the case.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bring back old gbs posted:

Was Martian Manhunter actually leaving the DEO? I guess I stopped paying attention there, I thought the two were basically just switching roles so MM would be more of a field agent now.

He put on his cool hat and overcoat like an old timey detective, i assumed he's on the case.

He "stepped down".

Also that outfit is totally a callback to his old comic's outfit, when they leaned hard into his "manhunter" role as an amazing detective. He really does have the skills of Batman with the powers of Superman + telepathy and shapeshifting. He's the original Mary Sue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unless we hear something about him being dropped from the main cast like Winn and Mon El I'm assuming J'onn will still be around just in a new capacity. Maybe he'll work more with James or uncover problems to deal with or just have his own side plot or something. I don't know. But he retired, he didn't leave the way Winn and Mon El were written to, or his dad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume J'onn meant he was going to try and be more of a superhero than government agent.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man this really took a nosedive imo, typical CW downward trend.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Koirhor posted:

Man this really took a nosedive imo, typical CW downward trend.

I think it suffered from the same thing that Lucifer did: too many episodes, not enough story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It was really more the reverse imo, they had too many stories(Worldkillers, Morgan Edge, Argo City, Martian Dadhunter, who is Kara Danvers, etc), and they didn't all fit together well.
e: Kreisberg getting booted halfway through the season probably didn't help matters much either.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

howe_sam posted:

It was really more the reverse imo, they had too many stories(Worldkillers, Morgan Edge, Argo City, Martian Dadhunter, who is Kara Danvers, etc), and they didn't all fit together well.
e: Kreisberg getting booted halfway through the season probably didn't help matters much either.

The padded the heck out of the Worldkiller stuff though. Kept introducing new things just to introduce them it seemed.
Crazy Krypton Cult sends Woldkiller to Earth at the same time Kara and Kal-El are sent.
Worldkillers somehow end up being put up for adoption even though they arrived from space.
Worldkillers are coming!
Oh here's Worldkiller Reign and she has Kryptonian powers only super-charged.
Reign looks like Sam!
Sam is human.
Sam is Reign but like, blacks out when she's Reign. So it's like a multiple personality situation where only the Reign knows how to use the powers.
Purity is discovered. She has sonic powers for some reason because loud sounds are related to the concept of purity, right?
Oh, snap! If the "human" side of the worldkiller is strong enough, it can re-assert itself. This may come in handy soon when someone figures out Sam is Reign.
No, Sam is actually two people, one of which is the Worldkiller and is Kryptonian. Sam is a regular human. Her DNA changes back and forth when one or the other in "in charge", but she still looks exactly the same.
Pestilence at some point? Has super biological weapon powers and the human side kind of enjoys being a worldkiller.
Sam goes to a magic valley when the Worldkiller is in charge.
The Worldkiller goes the same magic valley when Sam is in charge, maybe? Also, she doesn't have her powers there or does she?
The Three Worldkillers are together.
Pestilence's human half dies in the magic valley because Pestilence took over. So, sucks to be her. She was so excited to be an evil superhero then just got murdered so this thing to take over instead.
Purity's human side takes over, but still has all the powers because that is apparently a thing that can happen. Purity and Pestilence kill each other.
Purity and Pestilences's powers go into Reign for reasons. Why did they need more than one Worldkiller again?
Wait, the magic valley is actually where the powers come from. So it isn't because they're from Krypton? Or is it? Is it both?
Supergirl gets a magic rock which they use to free Sam from Reign. Reign floats out of Sam's body and sort of explodes or something.
Reign isn't dead! They just separated the two forms.
They are still connected.
The valley also has a pool that "takes away" power right next to the pool that "gives power"? What does that even mean?
Sam's in the valley on purpose. Sam's mom is there because apparently this particular soul of this particular person was sent to the magic valley when Reign killer her?
Reign is flying down to the center of the earth to Krypto-form it because that is a thing that you can do if you have the magic sword of Kahless.
The Legion and Martian Manhunter and Supergirl confront Reign at the temple of evil.
Sam drinks from the fountain that gives power and wakes up in the real world with Kyptonian super powers.
Sam and Reign are both at the fortress of evil and both have powers, but I guess Sam just has regular Kyptonian powers and not Worldkiller powers.
Kara uses magic rocks to send all three of them to the magic valley where none of them have any powers at all.
Sam beats up Reign and makes her drink the water of weakness or whatever.
Reign explodes or some poo poo, but Supergirl didn't kill her.
Sam has no powers anywhere, she's just a human now I guess.

I left out Kara's mom, Argo City, and the three witches because it was too complicated.

Edit: also, J'onn's dad suddenly saying "I can stop the terraforming (even though it should technically be called kryptoforming) by merging with the planet" like level 3 Protean Earth Meld only, "no, the entire planet, seriously, that's a thing I can do."

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 21, 2018

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I've said it before but Legends is in that sweet spot as far as season length goes. Black Lightning felt a little rushed at the end and could've used a couple episodes to alleviate that and the other shows could've easily cut out a few episodes and minor plots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

...What happened to Morgan Edge, anyway? I kinda checked out for the last three eps prior to the finale. Did his plot get resolved or was it just a matter of "Morgan Edge went back to Apokolips his home planet because Adrian Pasdar's back on Agents of SHIELD full time now"?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That second thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

nine-gear crow posted:

Adrian Pasdar's back on Agents of SHIELD full time now"?

Yes and it was glorious. Won't be back for S5 though.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Won't be back for S5 though.

Last I heard they haven't ruled it out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Man that Worldkiller storyline was a whole big mess. I enjoyed some parts of the story, and a lot of the performances, but it really was a mess. Is Odette Annabell sticking around? I'm assuming from David Harewood's Twitter that he will be. Kind of sad to lose Winn, but I do like Brainy too. It seems like the status quo will be shaken up a bit for Season 4, that's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I hope Lena isn't evil.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I finally made it to the end of this season catching up on Netflix and I agree with pretty much everyone else's assessment. This season had some really good stuff in it but pretty much all the Worldkillers plot was a dragged out mess (thanks, Aleph Null for that recap). Its like at the beginning of the season the writers say to themselves, "We have 23 episodes so lets come up with 23 twists and turns that we'll tease throughout the season". I like when this show does more one-off episodes like the one about Winn's parents. I wouldn't want them to shift into completely doing monster-of-the-week but more one offs or some lesser villains with multi episode arcs would be nice and could pad out the episode count without having to create more twists and turns for the main plot (see also The Flash, among the best Flash episodes of the past season were Run Iris Run and the bomb exploding one because they didn't directly have anything to do with the main villain).

I read through this thread as I was watching the show so here are some thoughts I had along the way:

-In one episode Winn determines 4 possible suspects that could be Worldkillers through something something tracking kryptonite meteors. Kara immediately recognizes Julia from her vision so they focus on grabbing her and then completely ignore the other 3 suspects. I assume they clear them of being Worldkillers off-screen or something (especially since all you have to do is check to see if they have a birth certificate or not), I just thought it was weird that they are never mentioned again. But it turns out that Pestilence wasn't one of the 4 suspects so I don't know. Why didn't they just have Winn narrow it down to just Julia? Just so Kara could use the vision she had at the start of the episode?

-Speaking of Purity: Remember when Winn developed hearing-aids that blocked Purity's specific sonic scream frequency? Because none of the writers on the show apparently did after the one time they were used.

-I know this is a tv show with finite budget but the way they show Supergirl's (and all the Kryptonians') eye-beams as basically a super laser that is extremely powerful yet leaves absolutely no marks or burns or holes in fabric was annoying to me. This really stood out in the last episode when Corville, Sam, Alura and Mon-El all get blasted. At least cgi some smoke rising off the body or something.

-In the final fight Supergirl and Reign fly up into the sky fighting where they hit the Legion ship which is then seen crashing and exploding. Supergirl does end up going back in time to change things but the time she goes back to is after the Legion ship was destroyed. So I'm not sure how it ends up being ok or how Brainy and Imra are still alive.

-I'm glad this season has hit Netflix so I could finally watch the first part of Crisis on Earth-X. I know they didn't do it on purpose but I'm pretty sure the recent seasons for the 4 shows hit Netflix in exactly the reverse order that the cross-over aired. It didn't ruin it though. Crisis on Earth-X was awesome!

-I thought it was weird that they would spend so much time dwelling on Kara's "I don't kill" morality in the finale. It made sense earlier in the season when everyone else was saying "we should kill them" and Kara refused because she could tell there was still some humanity in the Worldkillers. But by the finale Reign has been completely separated from Sam except for the fact that when one grows weaker, the other grows stronger. They pretty much set up the exact perfect scenario of an unredeemable bad guy who's very existence threatens the life of a close friend (oh and also the whole world). Kara, get over yourself and take her down! Then she regrets killing Reign because a bunch of people die in the process and I'm thinking "Yeah you threw her into the cauldron but I'm pretty sure Sam stabbing her in the back with a big-rear end sword also helped kill her." Then they reveal that Kara failed not because she killed Reign but because she went into the fight with the intention to kill? So they go back in time, take Sam and Reign to the valley and let Sam make Reign drink the Water of Weakness so Kara can avoid being a killer. Yay, go team!

-Regarding next season I'm going to predict that Lena working with the Harun-El will turn her evil so they can do a Super vs. Luthor plot while still being able to have a "remember who you are/this isn't you" moment at the end. I also really hope that once they realize there is a (presumably) evil Soviet doppelganger Supergirl that they will have to ask Lena to make them some of the Kryptonite that Kara was so mad Lena had the ability to make.

Finally, I didn't read this thread in Season 2 so can someone tell me why everyone keeps referring to him as Tiny Superman? Is it because Tyler Hoechlin is short or something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tyler Hoechlin is, perhaps generously, listed as being six feet tall, which makes him one of the shorter guys to play Superman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King of Foolians posted:

Finally, I didn't read this thread in Season 2 so can someone tell me why everyone keeps referring to him as Tiny Superman? Is it because Tyler Hoechlin is short or something?

He's shorter than usual, I think, but its also kind of an idea as well.

I think when he was first announced there was a promotional poster that very clearly was designed to make sure that he didn't seem too much taller or bigger in stature than Kara. I think that's where it started.

But in general I just think it was kind of unique in that he was clearly cast and written in a way where he wouldn't be SUPERMAN because he isn't actually supposed to be the star or most powerful person. So whether he's actually shorter than the average Superman or fans just had that perception it became the gag.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

I think when he was first announced there was a promotional poster that very clearly was designed to make sure that he didn't seem too much taller or bigger in stature than Kara. I think that's where it started.

From what I recall it was a shot of him talking to Mehcad Brooks who's listed as 6'3" and naturally loom-y. I think he was also on a step or something, it felt like he was towering over Hoechlin. Once uttered, the meme stuck.

Edit: found it. This is at least the shot that clinched the nickname for me.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 14, 2018

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It seems Sam Witwer will be joining up next season as Agent Liberty, and in a season regular role.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/17/supergirl-season-4-spoilers-sam-witwer-agent-liberty/

I dig Sam Witwer a lot, even his stuff on Smallville so I'm okay with the addition.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was loads of fun on Being Human and seems to in general be a good dude. Down for this!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sounds like he is going to be a major villain for the season. Although with the way they've been doing stuff he might just be the bad guy for the first half while they build someone else up for the back half.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sam Witwer also does a fantastic Emperor Palpatine voice and is Disney’s go-to guy when they can’t get Ian McDiarmid back.

I approve of more Sam Witwer in my life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Sam Witwer also does a fantastic Emperor Palpatine voice and is Disney’s go-to guy when they can’t get Ian McDiarmid back.

I approve of more Sam Witwer in my life.

YOU GUYS

WHAT IF THEY GET ROSENBAUM TO BE LEX LUTHOR

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

YOU GUYS

WHAT IF THEY GET ROSENBAUM TO BE LEX LUTHOR

I’ve been saying it for years. He’s basically the #1 choice in my book. Plus he’s now old enough to realistically be a Lex who’s battled Supes for years and is now paying the price for it. That and Justin Hartley needs to get some time away from This Is Us to play a villain on Arrow before it wraps too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve been saying it for years. He’s basically the #1 choice in my book. Plus he’s now old enough to realistically be a Lex who’s battled Supes for years and is now paying the price for it. That and Justin Hartley needs to get some time away from This Is Us to play a villain on Arrow before it wraps too.

I'm gonna start twittering him until it happens. I'd even be down to see Kreuk show up in some capacity. And Tim Daily!

Hartley is kind of a dick (we met him recently) and now that's he's making that NBC money he doesn't seem to be that interested in career nostalgia.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I still vote Hartley plays the in-universe movie version of Oliver that recounts his story on the island.

But a Rosenbaum Lex would absolutely blow everything out of the water. I'm sure he's free since Impastor was canceled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be happy with a single appearance. He's clearly come around on his time on Smallville as he and Welling have buried the hatchet. Hell Welling's done so much to try and distance himself from the douche he was 10 years ago that I would be okay with seeing him pop up eventually. But only as a villain. A shame they already used Zod as Welling would be excellent as the big bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rosenbaum was a lot of fun on the short lived Fox sitcom Breaking In (which also starred Odette Annabel.)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

I'd be happy with a single appearance. He's clearly come around on his time on Smallville as he and Welling have buried the hatchet. Hell Welling's done so much to try and distance himself from the douche he was 10 years ago that I would be okay with seeing him pop up eventually. But only as a villain. A shame they already used Zod as Welling would be excellent as the big bad.

Yeah. Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" with Welling was pretty great and nice to see Welling changing his tune on a lot of stuff after a decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

Yeah. Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" with Welling was pretty great and nice to see Welling changing his tune on a lot of stuff after a decade.

He's finally started doing major conventions and his reaction to fans seems to be overwhelmingly great. I'd read that he looked down on that aspect of fame as it used to be mostly for guys at the end of their careers but it sounds like when he met Amell recently he totally changed his attitude on it.

I'm sure the garbage bags full of cash aren't hurting either.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1020806657834549248

A little Manchester Black anyone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shut the gently caress up.

There's also a teaser up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaW7p0rZis

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, they had no usable new footage for that trailer huh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Man, they had no usable new footage for that trailer huh?

Looks like the corridor shots of Agent Liberty were new and the Supergirl armor at the end and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My big takeaway from that is there's going to be SO many MAGA shots with Agent Liberty. I'm cool with it.