Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sumo posted:

Bring back The Head instead

Set the standard for "if you can't fit a full season of a TV show on a VHS tape, edit it together into an awesome movie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

welp those both sound awful

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poor aeon flux

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Sumo posted:

Bring back The Head instead

I literally was just looking on ebay thinking about buying a bag of Iszs. I couldn't afford them when I was 18 because I was trying to afford living on my own but man, it's not really worth it for $25 when I'm 40 either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Maxx looked so cool but it must be the most boring cartoon ever

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

welp those both sound awful

Staying true to the source material then I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1009846658308468738

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Staying true to the source material then I guess.

harsh but fair. Some things should just stay in the 90s.

Instead of remaking Daria MTV should just use that moeny on music rights for the old series and do a proper release of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Aeon Flux: “This cult anime classic
:thunk:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Everything is anime if you do enough mental gymnastics!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She does connect with people. The show criticized Daria plenty of times and she does grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdG9pBtP9D4

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the point in the end is kind of that Daria was being a twat the whole time.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

The Maxx looked so cool but it must be the most boring cartoon ever

No idea, never really cared for it. Iszs just looked cool to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All those 90s MTV cartoons had that gross-out aesthetic that was real popular back then, and I hate that style.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

All those 90s MTV cartoons had that gross-out aesthetic that was real popular back then, and I hate that style.

That was The Brothers Grim, and no one liked The Brothers Grim, everything else was fine

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRITR1Hf5s

It was like Ren & Stimpy on a budget

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm with you on this one, other than B&B. I guess Daria wasn't that either but I didn't like that show for other reasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

That was The Brothers Grim, and no one liked The Brothers Grim, everything else was fine

The Brothers Grunt. I remember because it was the ugliest and most unwatchable cartoon I've ever seen, in a decade that was full of those. It seems like there was a lot of body horror in movies, cartoons, and comics from the mid-'80s through the '90s, which often got played for laughs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

Yeah I'm with you on this one, other than B&B. I guess Daria wasn't that either but I didn't like that show for other reasons.

Beavis and Butthead was pretty grotesque as well, I think we're just more used to it because it was by far the most popular and enduring of those.

Like one of the only things I remember about Aeon Flux is that one gross kissing scene and catching the fly with her eyelashes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Beavis and Butthead was pretty grotesque as well, I think we're just more used to it because it was by far the most popular and enduring of those.

Like one of the only things I remember about Aeon Flux is that one gross kissing scene and catching the fly with her eyelashes.

I think he means the highly detailed shots of gross things, the worst B&B really got was Beavis losing a finger.

The Aeon Flux shorts were a lot more, "graphic" than the series was. I think the biggest failing of the season was the fact that it had actual dialog and not just a bunch of cool poo poo happening.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

B&B looked like trash, but that other slew of MTV cartoons that came out in the early 90s were just weird disgusting body horror stuff for the sake of it, that's what I really didn't like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed about Aeon Flux. Really liked the first 2 short seasons and then couldn’t make it two episodes into the third.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Brothers Grunt. I remember because it was the ugliest and most unwatchable cartoon I've ever seen, in a decade that was full of those. It seems like there was a lot of body horror in movies, cartoons, and comics from the mid-'80s through the '90s, which often got played for laughs.

The guy who created it later went on to enjoy great success as the creator of Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The vast majority of 90s animated shows are hard to watch for me. There's an ugly muddiness even in the ones that aren't trying for that MTV/Ren and Stimpy look. Doug, Arthur, Hey Arnold, etc. They all give me a visceral visual reaction.

e: Ed, Ed, and Eddy too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just bought Gargoyles season 1 and 2 off of amazon for like $28 bucks, it should be here this weekend and I know what I'm watching Saturday afternoon!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

The vast majority of 90s animated shows are hard to watch for me. There's an ugly muddiness even in the ones that aren't trying for that MTV/Ren and Stimpy look. Doug, Arthur, Hey Arnold, etc. They all give me a visceral visual reaction.

e: Ed, Ed, and Eddy too.

Dr. Katz was so visually awful that I couldn't watch it.

I remember it also being boring and bad but I was a kid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

Dr. Katz was so visually awful that I couldn't watch it.

I definitely have a bit of a hard time going back and watching the Squigglevision seasons of Home Movies, but I push through.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I tried Home Movies once and couldn’t deal. I don’t usually mind art that’s a bit wild, but there’s a line.

(Not drawn straight, in this case).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Surprising exactly no-one, David Cross talked about how rough that recent ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT was. As he explains it, they getting pages for unfinished scenes late at night and then when they'd arrive on set Hurwitz would have more new pages for them.

I know what was David Milch's way of working, but Mitch Hurwitz is no David Milch.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Sqigglevision wasn't so bad when most people were watching it on a 19" CRT at 480i or whatever. I loved Dr Katz and it's wild to think back now how many now-famous people were on it who at the time were just a bunch of struggling stand-ups.

IIRC only the first season of Home Movies was in SV and the rest were in Flash. Genius show.

Aeon Flux sucked when the characters started talking. It was perfect as a grim 3-minute view into a dystopian techno-future.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Laterite posted:

To be fair, Sqigglevision wasn't so bad when most people were watching it on a 19" CRT at 480i or whatever. I loved Dr Katz and it's wild to think back now how many now-famous people were on it who at the time were just a bunch of struggling stand-ups.

IIRC only the first season of Home Movies was in SV and the rest were in Flash. Genius show.

Aeon Flux sucked when the characters started talking. It was perfect as a grim 3-minute view into a dystopian techno-future.

I kind of want to get an old CRT for stuff like that. HD is an improvement most of the time, but there’s a fair bit of TV that was definitely not designed for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laterite posted:

I still have both the original DVD, and the box set though :negative:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Aeon Flux shorts were top tier.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I tried Home Movies once and couldn’t deal. I don’t usually mind art that’s a bit wild, but there’s a line.

(Not drawn straight, in this case).

The Squigglevision shows like Dr Katz and Home Movies are basically glorified radio plays, you could listen to just the audio and lose almost nothing. Dr Katz was even brought back as an audio series on Audible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A live action Aeon Flux is going to suck because there's no way it will look as weird and unique as the cartoon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

A live action Aeon Flux is going to suck because there's no way it will look as weird and unique as the cartoon.

Not even Charlize Theron could save it last time

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Aeon Flux was rad when I'd watch some short bit and think "What the hell did I just watch, I think I want more." But when they made it a full show I quickly thought "gently caress, i thought I wanted this. gently caress this." The rest of Liquid TV reminded me of an animated Heavy Metal comic. i know we got 2 movies but it was more like it than the movies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StIReu8NoA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

Daria is wildly obnoxious in 2018. Reboot away, that's some toxic, self-absorbed, overly-cynical Gen X poo poo.

Well I mean, that's like Daria's entire character, it literally can't exist outside the '90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I love that you could just bring back Clone High whenever and say they’ve been frozen the whole time and it’d work perfectly

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have talked about bringing it back occasionally. There would apparently be a few changes, like retconning Ghandi as a clone of... Gary Coleman, I think? Which is kinda dumb (Coleman wasn’t dead when the series started and he’s nowhere near as notable as the other characters) and also brilliant (Ghandi is always gonna be short and India can’t get the show taken off the air again). Also I think Cleo calls him Gary at one point which suggests that it may have always been the plan.

I’m not sure that Clone High would work in 2018 though because all the teen dramas and tropes they used to parody are superhero shows now. Also there’s no way that the soundtrack would be anywhere near as good—it turns out the soundtrack is an significant part of the reason I like the show. I bought the show on iTunes and started watching it but only got like halfway through the first episode before I ordered the dvds on Amazon. Dashboard Confessional needs to be playing during heartbreak scenes, drat it!