Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Would Crystal Chronicles have been more well received if it didn't require multiple GBA's and some cables and didn't make someone give up combat to carry the chalice?

Because I liked that game, and nobody talks about it.

If it werent both a bad game and demanded a massive investment your hear more people talk about it. Instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what made crystal chronicles a bad game, aside from the chalice

serious question

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The White Dragon posted:

what made crystal chronicles a bad game, aside from the chalice

serious question

Multiplayer, an awful final boss I could never beat

Wonderful music, art style and gameplay though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron posted:

Multiplayer

wait, how is multiplayer a negative :psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

when the multiplayer friendly design detracts from the single player experience

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

When you basically couldn't play it singleplayer.

Especially when said multiplayer requires peripherals and other consoles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Not every video game has to be single player.

Please socialize.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please socialize.

I socialize all the time with my friends. Cloud, Squall, Cecil, Terra, Cait Sith...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Please socialize.

Maybe if it's a fighting game or other competitive game where playing it single player is missing the point entirely, but a long RPG balanced for multiplayer that requires a bunch of peripherals is not that sort of game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is Crystal Chronicles the one where one person had to carry that stupid loving bucket around and while you're transporting the bucket you literally can't do anything else and everyone has to defend the goddamn bucket?

Because gently caress that game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Please socialize.

It's a fair criticism towards that game, there's no need to act like an rear end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is Crystal Chronicles the one where one person had to carry that stupid loving bucket around and while you're transporting the bucket you literally can't do anything else and everyone has to defend the goddamn bucket?

Because gently caress that game.

Yeah it was essentially a three player game
I guess you could let the bucket bitch also do healing duty but for that the bucket bitch would have to drop the bucket and that wasn't ideal

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Good news! The following games have triggered the price alert you set up on CheapShark:
FINAL FANTASY VII:
Steam - $5.99
Final Fantasy VIII:
Steam - $5.99

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Please socialize.

If I want to socialize I don't sit in front of the TV.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You guys got all these swords and shields and all I got is this busket.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like Final Fantasy games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys got all these swords and shields and all I got is this busket.

Lame playing with a clavat only team

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If CC was released on modern gens as a Diablo-like where you didn't have to have the entire party sit through story cutscenes and share a hometown I could see it being fine.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
diablo-like :barf:

imo crystal chronicles' strength was in that the loot system was minimal, equipment and progress was linear. i loving hate when an endgame consists entirely of getting your "equipment set with optimal stats." the endgame should be the final dungeon and boss

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I meant it in the sense that you create rooms just looking for up to 3 other people to join and then do 3 dungeons together for the chalice filling cycle as opposed to endless loot grinding.

With online gaming as it is now, even for consoles, that would eliminate the hardware restriction of the GBAs and cables and still let everyone micro manage their menu without pausing it for everyone.

Like PSO, Dragon's Nest and other games of that kind.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Drop the bucket
Kill enemies
Carry bucket to next death zone

You babbies

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leal posted:

Drop the bucket
Kill enemies
Carry bucket to next death zone

You babbies

If that’s the case why even have the bucket
Besides enemies were super mobile and could shove you around

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PC port of X-2 OK? In my Gamefly queue but it's $15 on Steam Sale so may as well just buy it.

If FFs are really the only JRPGs I've played since having to become an adult but I liked Star Ocean or whatever on PSX and the Gamecube Tales game, is one of the new Tales games on PC cool and good to get on sale? Mostly just care about purty graphics and fun combat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hyper Inferno posted:

I meant it in the sense that you create rooms just looking for up to 3 other people to join and then do 3 dungeons together for the chalice filling cycle as opposed to endless loot grinding.

ok ok fair enough. it does take forever to make though :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

If FFs are really the only JRPGs I've played since having to become an adult but I liked Star Ocean or whatever on PSX and the Gamecube Tales game, is one of the new Tales games on PC cool and good to get on sale? Mostly just care about purty graphics and fun combat.

Get Berseria and also maybe forget Star Ocean ever existed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Get Berseria and also maybe forget Star Ocean ever existed.

What're you talking about, Star Ocean is pretty great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I loved CC and didn't mind carrying the bucket myself, but the peripheral requirement does make the entry point for that game pretty high if you don't want to do the single player (which is mostly just boring in comparison, though I wouldn't call it bad)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shark Sandwich posted:

I looked at the Celestial Weapon guide for the FFX Remaster and what the hell was wrong with teenage me that I was willing to dodge lightning 200 times in a row

I did this not too long ago. There's a specific spot where if you loop you can trigger the lightning which makes it a hell of a lot easier than randomly doing it. It's still easy to mess up (I got to 190 and hosed up), but overall the process took 20 minutes when I did it right. I'd stop every 50 dodges to stand up, catch my breath and wash my nervous sweaty hands.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

seiferguy posted:

I did this not too long ago. There's a specific spot where if you loop you can trigger the lightning which makes it a hell of a lot easier than randomly doing it. It's still easy to mess up (I got to 190 and hosed up), but overall the process took 20 minutes when I did it right. I'd stop every 50 dodges to stand up, catch my breath and wash my nervous sweaty hands.

What really got me was replaying IX after X and realizing dodging lightning is way easier than that loving jump rope game. Not that that actually makes dodging lightning good, but it's nicer to the player. FF has some hateful people making their minigames.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Both games exist to be job system and grinding material and Dimensions does a way better job of that

FF5 has a decent story and writing that make the game overall better.

FFD's story and writing could be deleted entirely and it would be a significant improvement to the game.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Hyper Inferno posted:

If CC was released on modern gens as a Diablo-like where you didn't have to have the entire party sit through story cutscenes and share a hometown I could see it being fine.

This is a good idea, don't let any racistly named poo poo-for-brains tell you otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

teh_Broseph posted:

PC port of X-2 OK? In my Gamefly queue but it's $15 on Steam Sale so may as well just buy it.

Yeah, totally fine other than it being a big download.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

I agree with white dragon that the simplified systems of CC were good, but the idea of CC online seems like it would be good as long as nobody was the jug master.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
jug master sucked but it was required for single-screen camera and spawn management for four players in a very large stage. any CC ripoff would need to manage local gating in a different way. and to keep resource usage down, it'd probably have to manage spawn gating for online players as well.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
If its online it would really be every player has their own view. Didn't most shared screen games back then just have the camera prioritize player 1, or average between players?

Even a locally hosted server should be able to handle 4 active areas at once.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 22, 2018

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet, picked up 7, 8, X-2, and Bersaria to add to Zodiac and Xenoblade 2 that I have out from gamefly. *Loads up Overwatch again*

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I played FF15 recently, and I actually liked it a lot. I thought its setting and characters were pretty compelling; probably my favorite since FF10 (though that's not exactly saying much). It's kinda stupid that you have to watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood to have a good understanding of the setting, but if you have watched those it's pretty good (and even though Kingsglaive is terrible as a movie, it's still fun to watch just because it's almost entirely a kickass CG fight sequence).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

If its online it would really be every player has their own view. Didn't most shared screen games back then just have the camera prioritize player 1, or average between players?

Even a locally hosted server should be able to handle 4 active areas at once.

yeah but split screen blows. i've seen it in mercenary kings and it really doesn't work at all.

the main problem with online play is if you're gonna sync it, someone has to do all the calculations and it pretty much always has to be the host, because otherwise you get extra latency from the client-host-client gap. you have to assume crap hardware, and crap hardware can't be expected to handle very many processes at once.

if you assume your users' hardware will have limitless potential, well, then you get starbound, which drops to 15fps on computers that can run games like prey or final fantasy 15 at 120+ fps.

you also have to assume crap internet speed, which i don't have to assume because i have it, otherwise you get things like "this application requires at least 35mbps data upstream." it's an uphill battle of minimizing requirements on all fronts, otherwise only people who can afford huge computers, and $150+/mo data plans, can enjoy it.

a truly great cc ripoff clone, must be compatible with the cheapest netbook money can buy, and should be able to run even if you only have 500kbps up. otherwise you might as well be doing the modern equivalent asking everyone to buy four gbas.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 22, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Odin was a pretty tough fight. I had my paradigm shifting down pat but I was being hit by doom jussssst before the Gestalt metre filled each time. Eventually said gently caress it and used my only Aegisol so I could skip the buff step at the start of battle and blew through it then but pretty fun battle system. Had to delete my Double Dose paradigm deck because I kept misclicking it instead of Duel Casting at critical moments during his Ullr Shield :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Odin was a pretty tough fight. I had my paradigm shifting down pat but I was being hit by doom jussssst before the Gestalt metre filled each time. Eventually said gently caress it and used my only Aegisol so I could skip the buff step at the start of battle and blew through it then but pretty fun battle system. Had to delete my Double Dose paradigm deck because I kept misclicking it instead of Duel Casting at critical moments during his Ullr Shield :saddowns:

You got through whats probably the hardest Gestalt fight so congrats. The next few are much, much easier.