Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I wait until I can build a simple automation setup with a smart battery before building a coal generator. The whole thing requires ~300 refined metal, trivial to make using the rock granulator (takes 600 metal ore).

Heat isn't an issue if you properly insulate the walls of your generator and battery rooms.
What does this look like? I am trying something like this in my base but the smart batteries get topped off before any of my regular batteries, so they're never filled up all the way.

I mean, it *works*, but I want it to fill up all my batteries before stopping, and I don't want to make all of my batteries out of refined metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
With automated power, you don't need any other batteries. A single smart battery is sufficient. Just set it to activate at 30% and deactivate at 80% and turn off automation sounds and you're set. Set the power generator to 100% so dupes will refill it asap. I like having 3-4 smart batteries to act as a bit of a buffer. Also, once you get the auto filler, you're set for life. Just have a compactor filled with coal within its range.

Is it an OCD thing?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ambaire posted:

With automated power, you don't need any other batteries. A single smart battery is sufficient. Just set it to activate at 30% and deactivate at 80% and turn off automation sounds and you're set. Set the power generator to 100% so dupes will refill it asap. I like having 3-4 smart batteries to act as a bit of a buffer. Also, once you get the auto filler, you're set for life. Just have a compactor filled with coal within its range.

Is it an OCD thing?

Yeah even for casual me, they are a great addition to the game.

Also happy to see some activity in the thread, this is my most played Steam game by far, even though I just play it casually, it's such a great experience.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fano posted:

What does this look like? I am trying something like this in my base but the smart batteries get topped off before any of my regular batteries, so they're never filled up all the way.

I mean, it *works*, but I want it to fill up all my batteries before stopping, and I don't want to make all of my batteries out of refined metal.

I haven't really messed with smart batteries, but they have a smaller charge capacity than normal batteries so maybe that would do it?

With automation, you could build two smart batteries and connect/disconnect them with a flip-flop switch, so one charges zero-to-full and then switches over to the other one.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Is it an OCD thing?

I suppose I wanted to store a lot more power just in case, so my idea was to use one smart battery and a multitude of regular batteries, the idea being that the smart battery would be filled/drained last and it would drive the generators that way.

However, all the batteries fill at the same time, causing the smart battery to be filled first and the regular batteries only get to about 50% capacity since they can hold twice the amount of power a smart battery can.

e: now that I think about it though, maybe just 1 battery is enough if the whole thing is automated, so long as the dupes aren't having to make constant trips to refill the generators, that might be an issue until I get the conveyor belts going, but I've never played with those yet.

Fano fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 20, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ambaire posted:

Is it an OCD thing?

that doesn't provide a buffer if you run out of fuel. nat gas requires stuff like pumps to produce power (draw in gas, pump polluted water out, pump clean water for co2 skimmers, etc). batteries keep that going, otherwise if the gas flow is stopped, you can't start the system back up.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fano posted:

I suppose I wanted to store a lot more power just in case, so my idea was to use one smart battery and a multitude of regular batteries, the idea being that the smart battery would be filled/drained last and it would drive the generators that way.

However, all the batteries fill at the same time, causing the smart battery to be filled first and the regular batteries only get to about 50% capacity since they can hold twice the amount of power a smart battery can.
Wire up two smart batteries and your battery bank such that the bank + first sbattery charge, and if the first sbattery is full it switches to the bank + second sbattery, and it only shuts everything down if both sbatteries are full.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Splicer posted:

Wire up two smart batteries and your battery bank such that the bank + first sbattery charge, and if the first sbattery is full it switches to the bank + second sbattery, and it only shuts everything down if both sbatteries are full.

I think I see what you're getting at, I have a vague idea of what that looks like, I'll try it once I get home tonight.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
If you have a lot of overloaded circuits, is the idea to just add more batteries until you can add automation or smart batteries?

Running around repairing wires is not my fave.

Also, this game is loving awesome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Make more, smaller circuits. Batteries/automation won't help there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bonds0097 posted:

If you have a lot of overloaded circuits, is the idea to just add more batteries until you can add automation or smart batteries?

Running around repairing wires is not my fave.

Also, this game is loving awesome.
Overloads are caused by too much power draw, not too much power supply*. Batteries won't fix that, transformers will:

Main Paineframe posted:

You know how regular wires break if you put more than 1kw through them? If you connect heavy wire to one end and regular wire to the other end, the transformer will take only 1kw of electricity from the heavy wire and transfer it to the regular wire. That way, you don't have to use heavy wire for literally everything once your base's total power draw rises above 1kw - instead, you can just divide it up into a bunch of separate <1kw circuits.
*though technically if you're trying to pull 5000 but only supplying 200 that's not going to be an issue

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 20, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Oh jesus, I have to actually plan out my electrical grid? Well then. Back to the drawing board.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

temple posted:

that doesn't provide a buffer if you run out of fuel. nat gas requires stuff like pumps to produce power (draw in gas, pump polluted water out, pump clean water for co2 skimmers, etc). batteries keep that going, otherwise if the gas flow is stopped, you can't start the system back up.

I always keep my initial coal power setup around for just this reason. Slave the coals onto a smart battery that only starts it in very low power situations.
Once you start adding heavy machinery your actual power draws can become very spiky and unpredictable, if they drain your batteries then ya everything shuts down.

I haven't played since they made gas geysers less predictable, but I'd imagine that kind of setup is even more important now that you can actually temporarily deplete your natural gas supplies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bonds0097 posted:

Oh jesus, I have to actually plan out my electrical grid? Well then. Back to the drawing board.

The easiest way is to use heavy duty wiring to connect all your batteries and power producers, then run heavy wire to the regulators that limit the amount of power throughput, allowing you to run normal wires from there.

Think of your electrical grid as water piping. You try and put 10000 psi through small tubes and the tubes explode. So you make large pipes that can handle the same amount of water easily just to hold it, the attach smaller pipes with flow regulators that only let through enough water to fill what that line needs. But if you still try to shove a ton of water through the small pipe it will still explode, regulator or not.

So you want heavy wires -> regulators -> small wires -> power consumers. Your wires start breaking once they are asked to handle more electrical "pressure" than they are rated for. Just remember that any wire running to the heavy wire line will get the full brunt of the pressure.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
like you can stretch energy between dormancy cycles by installing a battery on the individual circuits, then a battery bank to collect surplus power.
attach a smart battery with a buffer gate to keep it on for 20-30 seconds or so to make sure the battery bank is charged.
the smart battery should be connected to the generators and turn them off when it around 10-30% (your choice) so it wouldn't wait until its dead empty because usually that's when everything else is dead empty.
you want keep just enough juice in the system between generator activations.
the individual circuit batteries will only pull from the bank when needed, the bank will feed them, and the smart battery will keep the generators from wasting anything.
for nat gas, its probably better to use an enclosed fertilizer maker area (with conveyor belts) to "store" excess gas produced.
you can try to let all the gas leak out into an enclosed area around the geyser to capture every bit of gas but i tend to let the nat gas generators pull from the geyser first then pump in gas from the fertilizer area.
setup a smart batter to only turn on the gas pump in the fertilizer area when its below a certain level (lower than the gas generator battery) to supply the generators .

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bonds0097 posted:

I generally build one circuit per floor, then when I build a proper generator room I just swap out my treadmills for a transformer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What does everyone use for remote power generation? As in powering a gas pump halfway across the map

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What does everyone use for remote power generation? As in powering a gas pump halfway across the map

Just a gas pump I might just run a long wire along the vent.
Otherwise, Coal + Smart Battery

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Just a gas pump I might just run a long wire along the vent.
Otherwise, Coal + Smart Battery

Pretty much what I was doing, but running wires everywhere is booooring

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, power grid pro-tip: you don't need two transformers to power a conducive wire grid if you put the battery(s) after the transformer.

Basically it should be generators > transformers > batteries > everything else.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Also, power grid pro-tip: you don't need two transformers to power a conducive wire grid if you put the battery(s) after the transformer.

Basically it should be generators > transformers > batteries > everything else.

This only works if you limit the circuit to less than 2 kW max draw, otherwise the battery will happily overload the circuit and damage the wires if everything comes on at once. That's a pretty hefty limit, but still worth noting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

This only works if you limit the circuit to less than 2 kW max draw, otherwise the battery will happily overload the circuit and damage the wires if everything comes on at once. That's a pretty hefty limit, but still worth noting.

That is correct, but that's why circuits provide you with information on maximum possible power draw when you hover your mouse over them. So it is a very easy problem to detect and fix.

Besides, the opposite scenario (where you have generators > batteries > transformers) is worse: you can easily have devices fail to power on when they are needed because other devices on the circuit are currently on and are consuming too much power. For mechanized airlocks this isn't a problem. For your liquid pumps, it absolutely can be, and you may not notice it since the game doesn't give you warnings about it other than the empty battery icon on the device that's failing to power on (which can be easy to miss if said device is several screens away for example).

The generators > transformers > batteries setup has another significant advantage, which is that it doesn't require you to lay down heavi wires all over the base and try to figure out how to hide them properly from dupes (and waste a bunch of metal too).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This requires your mean power draw on the subcircuit to be > 1kw or you'll be constantly losing power anyway. So it's only useful on a circuit that sometimes peaks well above 1K but usually runs at substantially below 1k, which is a bit niche. e: Also you're going to have a lot of power banked behind that transformer that other subcircuits can't access.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 21, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Splicer posted:

This requires your mean power draw on the subcircuit to be > 1kw or you'll be constantly losing power anyway. So it's only useful on a circuit that sometimes peaks well above 1K but usually runs at substantially below 1k, which is a bit niche. e: Also you're going to have a lot of power banked behind that transformer that other subcircuits can't access.

You won’t lose power if you configure the transformer to turn off when the smart battery is full.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's the right way to use power transformers:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/92262-power-transformer-is-very-user-unfriendly/?do=findComment&comment=1052422

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This sentence in the linked post isn’t making sense to me:

quote:

Because they can sustain 4kw of power, they can charge a battery AND power a 2kw circuit
what is “sustain 4kW of power”?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This sentence in the linked post isn’t making sense to me:

what is “sustain 4kW of power”?

You can put 4kw of power through the transformer, which means that you can both feed 2kw of power I to the battery and support 2kw worth of draw. If you only had 2kw to spare you would have to choose to fill the battery or supply base power

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So the 1000J limit is just what it “stores” like a battery, but it lets up to 4000 pass through if available from the feed?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can put 4kw of power through the transformer, which means that you can both feed 2kw of power I to the battery and support 2kw worth of draw. If you only had 2kw to spare you would have to choose to fill the battery or supply base power

I thought the transformer only outputted 1kW of energy. That's kind of the point of using it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So the 1000J limit is just what it “stores” like a battery, but it lets up to 4000 pass through if available from the feed?

It's kind of esoteric but I think that consumers don't need to be fed every tick. Joules are Watt/s, so you can only supply 1000 watts at any one time, but each item on the line doesn't require their full cost every tick. At least that is what the post is implying. But maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end

E. First post wasn't clear, it isn't a continuous 4kw, you can't exceed 1kw in a single draw so you can't run something like a metal refinery off a transformer. But several 500kw things are fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I must be missing something. There’s only one wire hooked to the transformer output, so what does it matter (for one tick) whether that wire leads to one load or a dozen?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you have six loads that add up to 1kw or one 1kw load it's the same. But if you have a single 1.5kw load that doesn't work because you can't put that out at one time

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right. But what if you have, say, 3 devices that each draw 600W connected to the transformer's output (with a conductive wire), and all three need power at the same time. What happens? Does one power on, or all three?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think putting the smart battery on somehow... buffers it or something. If you read that Klei forums thread people say that setup can power 2k of stuff and still charge the battery, but I’m equally puzzled as to why.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well I went into sandbox mode and ... it doesn’t look like the transformer limits power flow at all? At least not up to 5kW. Edit: looks like the limit is 5kw, it’ll handle that but 5.2 makes the last device flicker on and off).

I put 9 coal gens “behind” it, and about 22 gas pumps (240W each) in front, all connected with heviwatt wire (all through the transformer, I.e. no direct connection from the generators to the pumps). Everything powered up, but the wires kept burning out at the connection to the pumps (e: the burnout was because I left one segment of conductive wire in). Clicking a wire gave power numbers like “4.88 kW/5.4kW”.

When I used conductive wire on the output, it still tried to pump well over 2kW out, but naturally the wires melted.

Maybe it’s just a safe stepdown from heavy wire to regular wire with a built in 1000J battery?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 22, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Are there any limitations on how many heavy wire wall joints work properly on a circuit? I have a circuit leading away from my generator rooms which passes through 3 heavy plates before eventually reaching a transformer. On first install it worked fine but eventually stopped for no reason I could discern. Rebuilding the circuit, sometimes it works again sometimes it doesn't. My max power draw is nowhere near enough to overload heavy wire.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

Are there any limitations on how many heavy wire wall joints work properly on a circuit? I have a circuit leading away from my generator rooms which passes through 3 heavy plates before eventually reaching a transformer. On first install it worked fine but eventually stopped for no reason I could discern. Rebuilding the circuit, sometimes it works again sometimes it doesn't. My max power draw is nowhere near enough to overload heavy wire.

Post a screenshot?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Well, I got home and loaded my game and now the whole circuit is working again :shrug: bug I guess.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Maybe it’s just a safe stepdown from heavy wire to regular wire with a built in 1000J battery?

Supposedly there is a per device 1k limit, like it won’t power an aquatuner directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dogen posted:

Supposedly there is a per device 1k limit, like it won’t power an aquatuner directly?
Seems to be the case. With both the Thermo aqua tuner and the glass forge thingy (each of which requires 1200W), it only powers them for one brief blip every second or two.