Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

Nice, I can no relive the very first SRW game I ever played but this time not accidentally kill my ReGZ every time by accidentally purging its flight parts over a ravine, ocean, or cliff. I'm still amazed I beat the game when I did. Haven't nearly no understanding of Japanese and playing a rom of it I managed to beat the last boss by sacrificing every deployed unit I had on the field.

The most Tomino way to beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

The most Tomino way to beat the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reFmh6mXbhk

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Isn't D difficult mostly because of that armor bug
The armor bug (for the player) can be sidestepped by increasing the pilot's defense stat, IIRC. The bigger issues with D is that there are a couple of stages that are rough if you don't know what's going on (gently caress the Adrastea stage into the ground), and a few pilots have some weird spirit command lists that will throw you off if you're not careful. Takeru is one of the biggest offenders in this category since he has no defensive spirit commands...in a robot that gives you an automatic game over if it gets shot down. Chronicle and Junko are other offenders, as their spirit command lists have absolutely zero accuracy modifying spirit commands.

Oh, and the Mercy spirit command is not in the game. That makes getting some of the secrets in the game harder because you don't have a safety net for when you accidentally overshoot your damage dealt to a target.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I've always been of an understanding that a bug is not why Supers in D can't take damage for poo poo. A bug would be easy; you can just release a patch for a bug and then everything's roses!

No, as I understand it, supers in D fell victim to a balancing problem wherein armor values across the board are lower, and damage values are higher. Reals don't care, because they aren't supposed to get hit anyways, but Supers are left unable to effectively do half of their job description. A balance problem is an issue that is simultaneously much easier and infinitely harder to fix (as can be seen by J over-correcting way too hard and making supers overwhelmingly dominant).

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I've always been of an understanding that a bug is not why Supers in D can't take damage for poo poo. A bug would be easy; you can just release a patch for a bug and then everything's roses!

No, as I understand it, supers in D fell victim to a balancing problem wherein armor values across the board are lower, and damage values are higher. Reals don't care, because they aren't supposed to get hit anyways, but Supers are left unable to effectively do half of their job description. A balance problem is an issue that is simultaneously much easier and infinitely harder to fix (as can be seen by J over-correcting way too hard and making supers overwhelmingly dominant).

Patch for a GBA game??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Octo1 posted:

Patch for a GBA game??
a fanpatch

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sordas Volantyr posted:

J's supers weren't overwhelmingly dominant due to statistics. Reals in J included insane top tier bullshit units that could punch up with any super in the game like Tekkaman Blade and the Arbalest. Supers in J were overwhelmingly dominant due to the game's messed up AI which meant that reals basically didn't get an enemy phase at all because enemies would never try to attack things they couldn't hit. Since J is a game that is heavily reliant on enormous reinforcement waves of trash enemies, enemies not willing to obligingly attack you and die to counters is an extremely big problem for usability.

It's a bit of a different problem between the two games.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Bring back janky nonsense character-based spirit lists instead of synergistic ones that do what the robot is intended for

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mister Olympus posted:

Bring back janky nonsense character-based spirit lists instead of synergistic ones that do what the robot is intended for

X was a pretty good step in that direction considering how flooded you are with reals that lack focus.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

While the enemy AI certainly didn't help, a lot of Reals in J were super weak until they got plot upgrades. Layzner Mk II and Freedom Gundam might deal good damage but they don't show up until halfway through the game and Layzner and Strike are topping out at roughly the damage of a Rocket Punch before Mazin Power activates.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's hard to justify reals that weren't Tekkaman/Aestivalis because the former had double spirit with an extra life, and the latter was unlimited super attacks.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Is anyone playing the Full Metal Panic themed SRW-esque game that came out recently? I didn't realize the dlc code only works in certain PSN regions, debating if the dlc weapons are worth making another account for. Can't find the stats for them and how they compare to the standard gear.

While I'm on this topic, if I were to download the dlc from the Asia account, can my US account get access to it since it is installed on the same PS4? All this PSN stuff is wizardry to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blight Runner posted:

Is anyone playing the Full Metal Panic themed SRW-esque game that came out recently? I didn't realize the dlc code only works in certain PSN regions, debating if the dlc weapons are worth making another account for. Can't find the stats for them and how they compare to the standard gear.
I ordered it, though my copy seems to be in Play Asia Shipping Limbo for the forseeable future.

quote:

While I'm on this topic, if I were to download the dlc from the Asia account, can my US account get access to it since it is installed on the same PS4? All this PSN stuff is wizardry to me.
Yup, as long as its all on the same PS4 your US account should be able to do that.

That's how it works with SRWV and SRWX anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blight Runner posted:

I did.

It isn't great. Its honestly pretty janky overall and like 90% of the game is just controlling Sousuke because it follows the light Manga/anime pretty 1:1. The weapons themselves are a strict if moderate upgrade to your base stuff, I got them free by buying it on release. I wouldn't pay for them .

Also yeah if you download the DLC you can play it on your US account. You just need to download it through the Asian one first.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone! :tipshat:

I preordered as soon as I heard a standalone FMP game was available. But then I read some reviews on the rushed release and lack of features compared to a true SRW game. Since this is my first serious foray into a SRW game, I suppose things will only get better. I just really wanted a stand alone FMP game to not suck. Heck, there is a destructoid review that said the Iron Will skill doesn't work at all. Things like that always break my heart from a gaming standpoint. I'll still play it through and try to 100% it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Tae posted:

It's hard to justify reals that weren't Tekkaman/Aestivalis because the former had double spirit with an extra life, and the latter was unlimited super attacks.

I always found it hard to get the 3 Angels enough Will for their combos. Maybe if you're really aggressive about sending them outside the Gravity Antenna coverage, J wasn't too punishing with that. I think I'd rate it Tekkaman Blade, God Gundam if that counts as a Real, Layzner 2, then the Aesties/FMP/unupgraded Layzner on a push.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blight Runner posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! :tipshat:

I preordered as soon as I heard a standalone FMP game was available. But then I read some reviews on the rushed release and lack of features compared to a true SRW game. Since this is my first serious foray into a SRW game, I suppose things will only get better. I just really wanted a stand alone FMP game to not suck. Heck, there is a destructoid review that said the Iron Will skill doesn't work at all. Things like that always break my heart from a gaming standpoint. I'll still play it through and try to 100% it.

My main issue so far, though I'm not very far in, is that gameplay amounts to 90% shoot gun at man with no real tactical or strategic considerations beyond range and ammo. Like, I'm pretty sure terrain bonuses and stuff don't exist? The Arbalest has one cool animation, but its the crew dealing with 3D and they're not super good at that. If you're not going to go full mondo rad animations you need to do more crunchy tactical stuff instead of what appears to be less. Every line being voiced is neat though!

I game over'd in the tutorial prologue because to advance the stage you have to hit Gauron and survive the action and I missed two 70% chance attacks when you can only take 3 hits from Gauron in melee because he always targets your body. Luckily once you game over it spits you to the intermission screen with all the money, XP and skill points you earned from slowly fighting the mooks before he shows up and they let you level up the Arbalest now because you've at least seen it in stage so I could go in with a bunch of extra guns. Seriously though, you fight 4 or 5 mooks on a stage where everyone's saying how amazing and cool and next level the Arbalest is and I ran out of ammo in all my guns killing the 4 or 5 mooks and had to resort to knifing them. Then Gauron shows up. Not the best effort the team have put forward for the whole "see how cool this toy is and then how strong this enemy is cos he's on even footing with you even with your new toy" thing.

Apparently its only ~26 stages with some side ones that open up that are good for grinding money and skill points with the extra endings being available on NG+, so hopefully it won't outstay its welcome for at least one run. I got L and A Portable and Neo to play dangit!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

Brains were good.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Brains had an amazing theme song.

I guess the units were okay too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They were actually real handy what with having A Ranks in all terrains.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah they were super handy in the water, which J actually had a solid number of maps with large water expanses and even some instances that deployed your entire team directly over water. Lots of combos too.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh God, I just finished the first route split in X, and now I have like fifty Gundams. I'm drowning. Send help.

I'm glad I've got a cash infusion from a pair of DLC stages coming up, since after getting the custom bonus on Black Gaine I don't have enough to do the same for Daitran, or the upcoming Kallen and Zero. So many people to buff up, not nearly enough money right now.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ashsaber posted:

Oh God, I just finished the first route split in X, and now I have like fifty Gundams. I'm drowning. Send help.

I'm glad I've got a cash infusion from a pair of DLC stages coming up, since after getting the custom bonus on Black Gaine I don't have enough to do the same for Daitran, or the upcoming Kallen and Zero. So many people to buff up, not nearly enough money right now.

Well, Wing Gundam Zero is easily endgame-viable. Ple is probably the best filler newtype for spare funnel machines, while Judau is a main character.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

My main issue so far, though I'm not very far in, is that gameplay amounts to 90% shoot gun at man with no real tactical or strategic considerations beyond range and ammo. Like, I'm pretty sure terrain bonuses and stuff don't exist? The Arbalest has one cool animation, but its the crew dealing with 3D and they're not super good at that. If you're not going to go full mondo rad animations you need to do more crunchy tactical stuff instead of what appears to be less. Every line being voiced is neat though!

I game over'd in the tutorial prologue because to advance the stage you have to hit Gauron and survive the action and I missed two 70% chance attacks when you can only take 3 hits from Gauron in melee because he always targets your body. Luckily once you game over it spits you to the intermission screen with all the money, XP and skill points you earned from slowly fighting the mooks before he shows up and they let you level up the Arbalest now because you've at least seen it in stage so I could go in with a bunch of extra guns. Seriously though, you fight 4 or 5 mooks on a stage where everyone's saying how amazing and cool and next level the Arbalest is and I ran out of ammo in all my guns killing the 4 or 5 mooks and had to resort to knifing them. Then Gauron shows up. Not the best effort the team have put forward for the whole "see how cool this toy is and then how strong this enemy is cos he's on even footing with you even with your new toy" thing.

Apparently its only ~26 stages with some side ones that open up that are good for grinding money and skill points with the extra endings being available on NG+, so hopefully it won't outstay its welcome for at least one run. I got L and A Portable and Neo to play dangit!

Yea, I just dealt with this mission last night. Couldn't find a way to influence the enemy hit rate beyond evade upon attack. (Proceeds to get hit 3 separate occasions when the enemy has a 9% chance to hit). Maybe there are skills that give you more options in battle? I was too distracted with how easily I ran out of ammo. I'm actually glad I downloaded those DLC guns because I don't have many of the consumables that restore ammo. As cool as it is, it does kind of break immersion when you're doing New York reloads with 4 rifles and shotguns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MightyPretenders posted:

Well, Wing Gundam Zero is easily endgame-viable. Ple is probably the best filler newtype for spare funnel machines, while Judau is a main character.

Duo's also probably your best candidate for the free Second Attack you get as he has the highest skill of anyone who doesn't come with it. With it and his Ace bonus the Deathscythe becomes really good overall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In SRWX, does Sirbine inherit upgrades from Billbine or Dunbine?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Raxivace posted:

In SRWX, does Sirbine inherit upgrades from Billbine or Dunbine?

Billbine I believe. It's strictly worse than the Billbine though, even though it looks really cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Billbine I believe. It's strictly worse than the Billbine though, even though it looks really cool.
I had heard that Billbine was better so I was planning on giving Sirbine to Marvel to fly around in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I had heard that Billbine was better so I was planning on giving Sirbine to Marvel to fly around in.

Sirbine is great for Marvel since it has a subpilot fairy that gives her access to things like Focus. Cham always sticks with Shou so its probably optimal to put him in the Billbine and her in the Serbine.

Though having two shoulder fairies is pretty funny.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Raxivace posted:

Best choice, really. The fairy who comes with it (can't remember her name) has Focus, so that'll help Marvel, plus it's better than Dunbine. But yeah, Bill is better than Sir, partially because they really spent time with Bill and also because stronger finisher.

Zore posted:

Duo's also probably your best candidate for the free Second Attack you get as he has the highest skill of anyone who doesn't come with it. With it and his Ace bonus the Deathscythe becomes really good overall.

I gave it to Simon and dumped a lot of skill ups into him. My only regret is that I didn't pump more into him so he could double ZERO right at the end and drop him down from full to 0 with his main and second. Seriously, about 65K damage in one attack. Gurren Lagann too OP, plz never nerf.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Sirbine inherits from Billbine.

Sho in the Billbine with the unique finisher, Marvel or Todd in Sirbine to tear it up with a Focus fairy is the primo way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Pepper posted:

They were actually real handy what with having A Ranks in all terrains.

Also the teleporting and innate En/HP regen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Sirbine is basically there to give Todd something better to pilot if you get him or Marvel if you don't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I kept Todd in his Vienes since it looked rad and his spirit list is slightly more functional than Marvel's. I used all 3 in my endgame party

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, I can't decide what to stick to for A. I did Lamia/Ash Saber on the GBA but that was yeeeeears ago. Currently have a save for both paths.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey in tangentially related mecha strategy fan translation news someone has completely hacked Sakura Taisen 1 for the SS so he can insert translated text. Now he just needs folks to translate it and it’s pretty massive. I’m working on it and I think we have 5 translators so far total? The guy has programmed a neat dedicated site for the translation so you can log in and work on it from anywhere and he’s implementing stuff like automatically highlighting lines that are too long for the text box.

He’s going to put up a forum for the translators so we can set up style guides and collaborate.

Anyway the script is really big so if anyone wants to help out that would be awesome. I know some SRW translator veterans hang around here sometimes so I figured I’d check.

For everyone else: Sakura Taisen Translation hype!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Getsuya posted:

Hey in tangentially related mecha strategy fan translation news someone has completely hacked Sakura Taisen 1 for the SS so he can insert translated text. Now he just needs folks to translate it and it’s pretty massive. I’m working on it and I think we have 5 translators so far total? The guy has programmed a neat dedicated site for the translation so you can log in and work on it from anywhere and he’s implementing stuff like automatically highlighting lines that are too long for the text box.

He’s going to put up a forum for the translators so we can set up style guides and collaborate.

Anyway the script is really big so if anyone wants to help out that would be awesome. I know some SRW translator veterans hang around here sometimes so I figured I’d check.

For everyone else: Sakura Taisen Translation hype!

:siren::siren::siren:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Welp, New Gundam Breaker's arrived. Time to be disappointed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
No one has anything good to say about it. Apparently it’s worse in every way, both fundamental and superficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The main feature of the game actively slows the frame rate

• Locked thread