Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Zenithe posted:

Regarding kidney beans and pressure cookers, do you still have to soak them before cooking to get rid of the bad?

Yes, the toxin doesn't cook out. You can speed soak by getting water steaming but not boiling, dumping in your beans, and waiting 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes, the toxin doesn't cook out. You can speed soak by getting water steaming but not boiling, dumping in your beans, and waiting 90 minutes.

You have a source - all I saw said pressure cooking from dry was fine?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ulmont posted:

This is what I saw but was pretty sceptical :thunk:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ulmont posted:

I take it back, the FDA claims that 10 minutes at 100C is enough to denature phytohaemagglutinin. Basically, it's not a concern unless you're using a slow cooker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're gonna get real farty if you don't soak them first, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've pressure cooked kidney beans without soaking them and ate them without issue. They're so much better than from a can, it's kind of unbelievable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The only reason I precook kidney beans is to prevent them from colouring the rest of the dish redish.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve only had beans come out well from pressure cooking when I NPR.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Just picked up an Instant Pot. Any reason why so many recipes that I've found have zero fat or oil in them? Is it just because of the health fad crowd that the cult of Instant Pot attracts or is there a technical reason not to add some tasty fat to your pressure cooking?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Use better recipes :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I should first acknowledge that I have only ~8 go-to pressure cooker recipes, so it's a small set of experiences:

To me, adding fat makes sense when you're browning/sauteing meats before sealing and pressurizing. But unless you're making butter masala-type dishes, why would you add more fat? I can't imagine how oil would help, while butter/lard/tallow... maybe, but I feel like that's something rarely required and/or easily addressed by using fattier cuts of meat instead?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a bunch of recipes that are "put IP into saute mode and add olive oil. Saute. Put in Pressure Cooker mode."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

well boiling emulsifies and a fattier cut of meat may not be appropriate

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Porterhaus posted:

Just picked up an Instant Pot. Any reason why so many recipes that I've found have zero fat or oil in them? Is it just because of the health fad crowd that the cult of Instant Pot attracts or is there a technical reason not to add some tasty fat to your pressure cooking?

What recipes? IP recipes I make are not any different than my regular recipes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

FWIW, doing a quick soak of kidney beans, then using the recommended legume setting on my cooker absolutely obliterated them. I'll probably do it for a bit less time, although it still worked for the intended purpose of red beans and rice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Obliterated as in turned to mush? Or just softer than you like? I don't cook kidney beans but the bean setting is working here on other beans.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Complete mush, most split down the side. I'll just use a lower setting next time.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I have a chunk of chuck roast left and would like to make some sort of stew in the instant pot. I'm looking for something a bit more exotic than plain old american stew, but I don't have any stand out ideas. Any goon favourites?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Julia Child's beef bourguignon. You'll just need to cut the time to 20ish minutes at pressure, and simmer the sauce for a little longer after since there was no evaporation during cooking.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I was going to cook the Seriouseats carne adovada recipe for a housewarming on Sunday, but something's come up and I won't be able to spend hours cooking it like I was thinking.

So I figure I'd do it in the Instant Pot instead. Original recipe has a quart of stock, a cup of frozen orange juice concentrate, and 2 Tbsp each of fish sauce and vinegar. But that's for two hours of cooking.

I'm figuring that if I use half the amount of stock and just juice an orange or two that should be plenty of liquid for the pressure cooker without winding up with stew. Does that sound about right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would think that would work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, you only really ever need a cup of liquid in the Instant Pot; you basically want the minimum amount necessary to create steam.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone got a decent guideline/recipe for country style pork ribs? I figure pressure cooking might give me good ribs for once.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone done Pepper Stout Beef in the IP? I usually just do it in the smoker and then in the oven but its too hot to turn the oven on. Was thinking I can smoke it then put it in the IP to finish. Probably have to use the saute function to reduce/thicken the sauce at the end.

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html in case you don't know the wonder that is Pepper Stout Beef.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CNET hates the new instant pot! poo poo Ive been waiting for it and now I don’t know

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/products/instant-pot-max/review/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Too much poo poo in one gadget.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How much for just an 8qt electric pressure cooker that reaches 15psi, has a timer, and nothing else

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok I decided to do the Pepper Stout Beef last night. Smoked it in the smoker for about 4 hours or so then put it into the IP with everything for 45 min. That might have been more time than needed but I had other things to do so figured too long is better than not long enough.

I did a quick release and then took the meat out and shredded it. I then strained the veggies and stuff out of the ju and let that boil a bit on the saute setting to thicken.

It came out great but I think not quite as good as the oven version. It just gets a little crispier in there.

Put it on a French bread sub bun with some mayo and prepared horseradish with a side of the ju to dip in.

Can't wait to get home from work so I can have this again for dinner tonight...

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just use this for butter chicken
https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

You really have to cool it off for the sauce to form after cooking though

Looking to try this for my first try at cooking something in the Instant Pot. One thing I'm unclear on is:

quote:

Add the chicken back in and heat through. Break it up into smaller pieces if you need but don't shred it.

Does that mean I should just saute it? Or does "heat through" mean some other setting?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It just means warm it up so yeah the saute setting. Or you can cook it in a microwave or skillet.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I bought an Instant Pot but the plastic/solvent fumes were so bad that I had to return it.

:owned:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think you may have got a counterfeit.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Or there were labels you didn't notice to remove, maybe.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Recently I've been bulk prepping soupy stuff that I can portion out, freeze, thaw individually and then just eat easily over rice, like gumbo/curry/tikka masala etc. Then I scooped an instant pot in the Target price error bruhaha a few days back and it occurred to me that the pressure cooker probably excels at that sort of thing. Any good recommendations for recipes like what I mentioned? I have a stovetop pressure cooker but honestly I've been less inclined to use it because babysitting the heat is such a pain on an electric stove so I'm pretty excited to be lazy.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

A tikki malasish recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html

And the now and later butter chicken.

I just scooped up a new instant after my qvc brand pressure cooker bit the dust. I will say the food I cooked in a Dutch oven kicked rear end compared to pressure cooking but god drat if everything took forever to cook. Can't wait to get back to using a pressure cooker

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

wormil posted:

I think you may have got a counterfeit.

I bought it from Canadian Tire, so I mean, I doubt it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

AnonSpore posted:

Recently I've been bulk prepping soupy stuff that I can portion out, freeze, thaw individually and then just eat easily over rice, like gumbo/curry/tikka masala etc. Then I scooped an instant pot in the Target price error bruhaha a few days back and it occurred to me that the pressure cooker probably excels at that sort of thing. Any good recommendations for recipes like what I mentioned? I have a stovetop pressure cooker but honestly I've been less inclined to use it because babysitting the heat is such a pain on an electric stove so I'm pretty excited to be lazy.

I like a bunch of the recipes n http://twosleevers.com and a bunch are Keto too if that is your thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wow the IP is almost completely silent except for beeps when it transitions between cooking cycles, it's really weird to compare it to my stovetop cooker which always reminded me of a hissing viper ready to lunge and end my life at any moment.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You can turn off the beeps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

You can turn off the beeps too.

gently caress, I forgot all about this!