Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ehn, it'd be a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

Ehn, it'd be a stretch.

He could kill us all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Curse Words!
Wizord and Ruby are cut off from the source of magic and trapped on Earth! Thankfully, Earth does have magic they can use! lovely, pathetic amounts of magic. Still, you steal what you can get!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
P sure that's how Andrew WK works.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1008520995685261312

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Extreme.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Gotta kill faster!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

War is way past cool!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

It's a very versatile power. Get creative.

I thought we were past sexual assault being funny.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Humor comes from absurdity by nature, it's unlikely to ever move "past" content that is offensive or vulgar. As Mel Brooks put it, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zaodai posted:

Humor comes from absurdity by nature, it's unlikely to ever move "past" content that is offensive or vulgar. As Mel Brooks put it, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die".

Mel Brooks is so great. :allears:

That quote is in the "2000-year-old-man" bit he used to do with Carl Reiner. If you can find a copy of it, it's a lot of fun to listen to.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Mel Brooks probably wouldn't find sexual assault funny:

Mel Brooks posted:

In 1974, I produced the western parody "Blazing Saddles," in which the word "friend of the family" was used constantly. But I would never have thought of the idea of showing how a black was lynched. It's only funny when he escapes getting sent to the gallows.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The point isn't whether he would find it funny or not. The point is that humor can come from things you may not agree with in a serious manner. I'll laugh at somebody getting hit by a car even if I don't wish that on them. You can't help what you find funny, and there's lots of hosed up poo poo people find funny.

It's fine for people not to find any given thing humorous. Humor is a very personal thing. But it's not going to stop other people from laughing (or not laughing), and the expectation that it would is, in itself, ironically laughable.

But I agree, sexual assault is no laughing matter. Unless you're assaulting a clown.

[EDIT]
And aren't there multiple scenes that most people would consider sexual assault if not outright rape played for comedic effect in Mel Brooks movies?

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 21, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zaodai posted:

But I agree, sexual assault is no laughing matter. Unless you're assaulting a clown.

A kid and a clown are walking through the woods at night. "Gosh, this sure is creepy" says the clown. "You think this is scary?" the kid replied, "I have to walk back out alone."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Alhazred posted:

Mel Brooks probably wouldn't find sexual assault funny:

Young Frankenstein begs to differ

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT]
And aren't there multiple scenes that most people would consider sexual assault if not outright rape played for comedic effect in Mel Brooks movies?

Young Frankenstein has at least one.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT]
The ones that leap to mind are History of the World, Pt 1, It's Good to be the King, and Young Frankenstein when the monster meets Madeline Kahn's character.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

darthbob88 posted:

The ones that leap to mind are History of the World, Pt 1, It's Good to be the King, and Young Frankenstein when the monster meets Madeline Kahn's character.

The king stuff is historical reenactment, though. That's the way royalty behaves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, the Human Chess scene from History of the World Part 1 came to mind, as did a bunch of stuff (including the outright rape of the Sherrif by the old woman) from Robin Hood Men in Tights, but I had forgotten Young Frankenstein.

Bruceski posted:

A kid and a clown are walking through the woods at night. "Gosh, this sure is creepy" says the clown. "You think this is scary?" the kid replied, "I have to walk back out alone."

An excellent twist to one of my favorite short jokes. :golfclap:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"Cry Sonic and let slip the hedgehog of war"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zil posted:

"Cry Sonic and let slip the HOGS of war"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Ken Penders wrote that issue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

War is way past cool!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

It's ok Sonic. You'll always have Amy Tails.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It's ok Sonic. You'll always have Amy Tails.

And after that, there's always chili dogs. Food has never betrayed any goon, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

And after that, there's always chili dogs. Food has never betrayed any goon, right?

Not since the one mod in the exercise forum died from eating lard, anyway.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always thought sonic's eyelids were blue.

Also apparently the cover of this issue is what made Sega finally go "What the gently caress is archie comics doing with our franchise?"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
And Sonic learned that day that he can’t outrun his feelings. Or war PTSD.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Zaodai posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1009871854784393217

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There's a Maude Flanders joke in there somewhere.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Monaghan posted:

I always thought sonic's eyelids were blue.

Also apparently the cover of this issue is what made Sega finally go "What the gently caress is archie comics doing with our franchise?"

It made them fire everyone.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Zaodai posted:

Also Mr Bibs.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

VanSandman posted:

It made them fire everyone.

... and have the intern do the writing. No offense to Ian Flynn if he still lurks here.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Get that Peter Parker fashion.

Really work on getting that flat rear end too.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Who wears short jorts?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In retrospect "Daisy Duke" is a very Stan-Lee-esque name.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The latest Man of Steel has the most Bendis dialogue Bendis has ever written:

"Which Boy?" "This boy?" "Me boy?" "My Grandson" "Your son"" "The Son of El"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I guess I just never expected to see the Kryptonian version of "Who's on first?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is his name Jon-El?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Who wears short jorts?

In the '80s? A lot of people.