Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ve liked Hello Weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thwomp posted:

I like this one too and imo it’s one of the nicest looking ones. I’m not a big fan of the lock screen widget so I don’t use that (the default is good for me). I wish they had a watchOS complication though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thwomp posted:

It looks like a fine app, but I'm more of a weather geek and like all the knobs and buttons and layers poo poo. This reads as WeatherLite (tm). I need Weather Pro :smuggo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Since BeWeather's bugs started getting pointed out ITT, I've started noticing some in mine, like weather displaying as 30 degrees when it's actually 90 or it saying "Next hour: No data available" or stuff like that.

Is there a weather app that has a customizable widget like BeWeather does but with accurate weather info? I don't mind paying a few bucks.

I already tried out Hello Weather and that one didn't.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use carrot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like carrot too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m using Hello Weather and really like it but find Dark Sky isn’t that accurate for where I live. Can you choose another source with Carrot?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I’m using Hello Weather and really like it but find Dark Sky isn’t that accurate for where I live. Can you choose another source with Carrot?

Yes, but it requires a subscription fee.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
No offense, but beweather is really bad. Half the screen is wasted on black space and it had an error on the front landing page, no wind animation, no custom forecasts, etc. Can someone buy Storm?!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

priznat posted:

I like carrot too.

Carrot next

Idgaf about cost like it’s 3$ a year usually lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I looked at Carrot's UI and I still like BeWeather's layout way more, even if some of the weather data is garbage. Not paying for that when I already paid for BeWeather ages ago.

I guess what I want is an app with BeWeather's exact UI/customizability but with always-accurate weather data.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Since BeWeather's bugs started getting pointed out ITT, I've started noticing some in mine, like weather displaying as 30 degrees when it's actually 90 or it saying "Next hour: No data available" or stuff like that.

Is there a weather app that has a customizable widget like BeWeather does but with accurate weather info? I don't mind paying a few bucks.

I already tried out Hello Weather and that one didn't.

30 C is 86 F so it sounds like a localization error.

The thing I don’t like about Carrot is that their official company twitter account routinely tweets out email complaints with snarky comments so that their followers/supporters can tweet about people being special snowflakes and safe spaces. gently caress that noise, I’m not going to support a developer that enables that.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
crossposting

https://twitter.com/rileytestut/status/1009927555602964480

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I like Yr.no and Weather Line.

Widget Weather is also good if you only care about having a customizable widget.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Maybe I'm missing something but how do I insert pictures into PowerPoints from my Dropbox/Files/OneDrive accounts? Insert > Photos only gives me options for pictures in my Photos and I don't see an option to browse through my cloud drives. I don't really wanna go to OneDrive and "save image" the ones I want to add just to throw them into PowerPoint.

e: I refuse to believe that Microsoft PowerPoint doesn't let me browse my Microsoft OneDrive account for assets but here we are. I really don't see an option for this.

e: vvv No, I can only insert Photos or use the Camera. There's no regular file attachment. vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 27, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there an option to add an attachment instead of inserting a photo? I don't have PowerPoint on my iPad so not sure how it works there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but how do I insert pictures into PowerPoints from my Dropbox/Files/OneDrive accounts? Insert > Photos only gives me options for pictures in my Photos and I don't see an option to browse through my cloud drives. I don't really wanna go to OneDrive and "save image" the ones I want to add just to throw them into PowerPoint.

e: I refuse to believe that Microsoft PowerPoint doesn't let me browse my Microsoft OneDrive account for assets but here we are. I really don't see an option for this.

e: vvv No, I can only insert Photos or use the Camera. There's no regular file attachment. vvv

Looks to not be a thing:

https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/forums/288952-powerpoint-for-ipad-iphone-ios/suggestions/15818836-insert-image-via-onedrive

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Is Overcast still the podcast app of choice?

If we’re still doing weather app recommendations, I really like the Met Office app, with the caveat that it’s U.K. only.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I've always really liked iCatcher, but I'm weird.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

decypher posted:

I've always really liked iCatcher, but I'm weird.

I also use iCatcher. It’s great and has tons of features, but the UI is kind of janky.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started using Pocket Casts a few weeks ago and it's my favorite now, thanks to the trim silence feature, the extensively customizable speed settings, and the web player/PC app which sync to your account and display all the most recent episodes of your podcasts.

I was using Downcast before that for years and it also rules, though it doesn't have those same features.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I started using Pocket Casts a few weeks ago and it's my favorite now, thanks to the trim silence feature, the extensively customizable speed settings, and the web player/PC app which sync to your account and display all the most recent episodes of your podcasts.

I was using Downcast before that for years and it also rules, though it doesn't have those same features.

I’m constantly back and forth between Overcast and Pocket Casts.

I like the design choices in Pocket Casts, but there’s just something that keeps me with Overcast again and again.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Cultural Marxist posted:

Is Overcast still the podcast app of choice?

If we’re still doing weather app recommendations, I really like the Met Office app, with the caveat that it’s U.K. only.

There’s never been a podcast app of choice, just lots of good options.

I like Downcast for customizability like being able to set podcast priority values for playlists and downloads. For example I have a Morning playlist which has as it’s first item only the latest NPR Hourly News which is streamed rather than downloaded, then any Marketplace Morning Edition unplayed, then any unplayed NPR Up First and NYT The Daily podcasts, then a bunch of other stuff.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the suggestions, in the end I went with Pocket Casts. What put me off Overcast in the end was its stupid subscription to remove adverts.

I don’t mind paying a one off fee for no adverts, but I refuse to pay a yearly subscription.

This seems to be the way a lot of apps are going though, and while I hope that the trend dies soon, I’m not optimistic.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
FWIW I can't even remember seeing an ad in my free version of Overcast. I'm poking around the app right now looking for an ad and I can't find one.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Yearly subscription vs paying a one time fee every year for an updated version of the app

Same thing, different name.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cultural Marxist posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, in the end I went with Pocket Casts. What put me off Overcast in the end was its stupid subscription to remove adverts.

I don’t mind paying a one off fee for no adverts, but I refuse to pay a yearly subscription.

This seems to be the way a lot of apps are going though, and while I hope that the trend dies soon, I’m not optimistic.

Dev's can't survive on a one-time purchase 4 years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

FWIW I can't even remember seeing an ad in my free version of Overcast. I'm poking around the app right now looking for an ad and I can't find one.

I believe they only show up if you go looking to add a new podcast, at which point it recommends a sponsored podcast at the bottom of the search screen. That's it. That's the ads.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Dev's can't survive on a one-time purchase 4 years ago.

Sucks when an app you've used for like 8 years is finally abandoned. I don't know if it's just broke or if the iOS 12 beta is doing it, but Goon-made Storm Sim has whole chunks that no longer work. At least it made the iOS 11 App Armageddon so it'll still limp along for a bit. I still liked playing Dungeon Raid, but that's forever lost to up-to-date phone OS's.

Does anyone have a storm/background noise app they like?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If Overcast had a wifi upload right into the app rather than using their weird Dropbox-lite interface, then it would be perfect.

I tried "MP3 Audiobook Player" on a whim from a suggestion in the audio book thread, and I am pretty happy with it. The interface is decent (no auto-speed though like Overcast) but it can mount as a network drive right into your OS for file copies rather than even using a janky web-interface. Super nice!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The HTTP upload also had the habit of erasing your file when it dropped overcast from memory and you pressed play. I reported that bug several times. It happens with podcasts too but at least they survive on the server side so you can just redownload.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twitteriffic wrote a blog post about the upcoming changes due to Twitter being shitheads who are intentionally breaking their APIs for third-party apps. In short, they can no longer do live streaming of tweets, so they may be 1-2 minutes behind, and if you want notifications, you'll have to turn them on in the official app. TweetBot will be updating with similar soon, I'm sure.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Endless Mike posted:

Twitteriffic wrote a blog post about the upcoming changes due to Twitter being shitheads who are intentionally breaking their APIs for third-party apps. In short, they can no longer do live streaming of tweets, so they may be 1-2 minutes behind, and if you want notifications, you'll have to turn them on in the official app. TweetBot will be updating with similar soon, I'm sure.

This is loving terrible.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wish Twitter would just go ahead and say “no third-party apps” so everyone stops wasting their time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Or charge for API access. Then maybe they could actually make some money.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Or just shut down since they ruined democracy and all

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endless Mike posted:

:negative:

Don't you touch my loving Tweetbot!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maduin posted:

Or just shut down since they ruined democracy and all

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

~Coxy posted:

Or charge for API access. Then maybe they could actually make some money.

they are charging for api access

http://twitter.com/BigZaphod/status/996793422748045313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does twitter offer personal use api keys? If so, how about they tell people to go get their own key and paste it into the app.

Yeah that's a lovely process that no one will actually do and will kill the usebase of the app, but it sounds like they're on death's door already.