Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

face scanning toddlers to stop the threats

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1004869246726344704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lmao. "We'll know that children are being murdered 10 seconds earlier, and all it will cost us is thousands of dollars every year, hundreds of false positives from poorly configured systems, and any sense of privacy that remains at our already orwellian schools"

Problem solved.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/ziosk-presto-tabletop-tablet-restaurant-rating-servers

quote:

“I look, and I’m like, ‘Where the hell are my shifts?’” she told BuzzFeed News. Her normal schedule of four days a week had been cut down to just two, a change she estimated would cost her between $200 and $400 a week. “They were like, ‘Oh, well, you had a bad score.’”
:tif:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

This is loving terrible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you know its some silicon valley disrupting company doing it just because they expect people to care about the ratings. dominos has our own ratings system but we just ignore it. especially because the text of the feedback is about the store in general more often than not. or some guy trying to claim the pizza was late when it was at his house 5 minutes after it left the oven

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/waff48/status/1009864805568733186

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm surprised that some company isn't bot spamming 1 star reviews of each employee at their competitors' locations. Just get them all auto-fired by company policy robots.

It's a cheap way of increasing their costs of turnover, depressing the cost of labor, and making your own employees less willing to quit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whomupclicklike posted:

This is loving terrible

When a woman named Anna worked at a Midwest outpost of Smokey Bones — a chain restaurant that requires women servers to wear low-cut T-shirts, preferably with makeup and longer hair — she often saw “comments on boobs — nice boobs,” she said.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it blows my mind that any restaurant or other hospitality establishment still thinks that customer reviews are in any way helpful or meaningful

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Larry Parrish posted:

you know its some silicon valley disrupting company doing it just because they expect people to care about the ratings. dominos has our own ratings system but we just ignore it. especially because the text of the feedback is about the store in general more often than not. or some guy trying to claim the pizza was late when it was at his house 5 minutes after it left the oven

quote:

Ziosk CEO Jack Baum, who took over the position in October 2017, said this kind of behavior is frowned upon — but probably inevitable.

“Do I think anonymous feedback gives them the ability to say someone’s fat without having to own up to the fact that they said it?” he told BuzzFeed News. “Yeah. But we’re in a social media universe today. We’re in a universe that people can make anonymous comments, people can do evil and terrible things. I don’t think it’s appropriate. I would hope the manager would use their discretion. We try to filter out curses. But there’s only so much we can filter out.”

While Ziosk sells the tablets and designs the software that makes the Ziosk system run, it doesn’t tell restaurants how to use it. Ziosk says it's not responsible for how restaurant chains choose to use its software, and the restaurant brands say individual restaurants, as franchisees, are free to manage their businesses independently. Brands design their own survey questions, upload their own menus, decide which desserts and appetizers to advertise, and set their own goals for waitstaff in terms of what scores to hit and how important it is to use the devices.

Baum said that if he owned a restaurant chain (which he did, for 18 years), he wouldn’t use Ziosk scores as a disciplinary tool. “The restaurant has control over how they use it,” he said. “My only request is they use it as a carrot and not a stick.”

If you don't design your product to prevent abuse, you are responsible for the abuse, bucko. Selling people what they ask for, whether it's what they need or not, is exploitation plain and simple. loving hell I can feel myself radicalizing in real time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean they’re not punching in the questions?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Make it fair and let servers rate the customers

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EugeneJ posted:

Make it fair and let servers rate the customers

tag a customer between restaraunts imo. "this guy gives lovely tips and likes to grab waitresses' asses, put dish soap in his drink"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

tag a customer between restaraunts imo. "this guy gives lovely tips and likes to grab waitresses' asses, put dish soap in his drink"

Hostess: "our facial recognition has shown you only rate as 2.5/5 as an Applebee's customer - feel free to eat at the bar, but we need to hold your credit card for 'incidentals' because you're at risk for walking out - have fun!"

Actually I'm kind of shocked they don't do the "give us a credit card before we serve you anything" thing already - seems like it would prevent lots of problems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you mean like opening a tab at the bar?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

hobbesmaster posted:

you mean like opening a tab at the bar?
Or like almost every other kind of business where payment is made before the order is actually processed?

except then it would feel like a transaction and not ~service~

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean they’re not punching in the questions?

I mean a score of 3 should be the default state, not "basically zero"
And the way statistics are collated and displayed probably plays a huge part in how the system is used in an abusive way, e.g. by showing a ranking instead of just pointing out outliers, or showing all data as equally authoritative regardless of statistical significance
In fact, the bone-headed way kitchen-related scores somehow end up in the server ratings suggests that the system is completely hosed. You should be especially super loving careful in reducing a complex issue to a star score but who cares, just average it all, right? Math!
And the customer-side UI is probably overly aggressive in demanding to be used
And in general users of a system don't personalize it too much and rely on defaults and the defaults are almost certainly garbage
And god, a free form comment field. What idiot adds this as a feature, what idiot actually writes stuff there and what idiot reads it
All this, if an automated rating system makes sense or improves your business at all, which is a big "if"

e: oooh and another thing: the blind faith in the infallible automated system. The scores are used to judge servers, and their managers, and franchises, but do you think if the system actually made things worse, corporate would realize or accept this?

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Jun 22, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hackbunny posted:

And god, a free form comment field. What idiot adds this as a feature, what idiot actually writes stuff there and what idiot reads it

All customer feedback should be exactly two fields:

was there anything that made you happy, if so, what?
and
was there anything that pissed you off, if so, what?

trying to turn that into ~numerical metrics~ is pointless

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it blows my mind that any restaurant or other hospitality establishment still thinks that customer reviews are in any way helpful or meaningful

it's all coming from top level executive ghouls whose only knowledge about the restaurant side of things comes entirely from spreadsheets and charts that middle management has helpfully distilled into powerpoint presentations for them

the pull of Big Data is irresistible for these people

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Tunicate posted:

All customer feedback should be exactly two fields:

was there anything that made you happy, if so, what?
and
was there anything that pissed you off, if so, what?

trying to turn that into ~numerical metrics~ is pointless

I was commenting on the fact that some people leave bathroom graffiti level content there ("waiter has a nice rear end") that managers somehow don't immediately dismiss, but instead praise and show everyone at staff meetings. Not to mention how it's a neat way for the business to reap the fruits of systemic discrimination without violating any discrimination laws

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Oh and can we say something on what terrifically useless feedback a number is? How do you know what to improve if your arbitrary number goes down? How can managers go along with it, when it's a massive dumbing down of their own job?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dominos rates anything that isn't a 4 or a 5 as 'negative' so lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats a big part of why our franchisee and his other stores basically ignore it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

dominos rates anything that isn't a 4 or a 5 as 'negative' so lol

dominos is an anomaly.

Most places rate 4s as negative too

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Rajat Suri, CEO of the California-based Ziosk competitor Presto, is even more bullish than Baum about the technology: He imagines a future in which tabletop devices deliver customer feedback data to management constantly and instantaneously.

“We think there could be a server leaderboard in the back of house that ranks the servers in real time, based on guest surveys,” he said. “I agree it's going to increase stress. But it will put the emphasis more on performance.”

this grotesque gently caress should be lashed to a loving cross and left to die out in the desert

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
its tyool 2018 and silicon valley is like "what if we made an internet newspaper comment section solely about specific people barely making 15k a year?" as a disruptive technology that is going to paradigm shift the restaurant experience?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the logical endpoint of "the customer is always right"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strontium Dog posted:

the logical endpoint of "the customer is always right"

"Cynthia didn't smile at me long enough when she was ringing out my cigarettes - Voted 1, please fire her"

I mean I guess if a cashier was having a really bad day and like 5-10 paying customers in a row gave negative feedback, that would be an adequate signal that something was wrong with the cashier and a manager should check up on it

Imagine a world where, like Uber, your customer service job could automatically lock you out of working if your rating dips too low

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1009892743710199818

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

lmfao. in the 90s tgi fridays got mocked for their flair obsession, now in cyberpunk 2018 they've upped it to algorithmic harassment

:discourse:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

We're a few years months away from "how genetically related to known MS-13 members are you?"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

EugeneJ posted:

Imagine a world where, like Uber, your customer service job could automatically lock you out of working if your rating dips too low

this is literally the premise of the Nose Dive episode of Black Mirror.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what the gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Black Mirror was inspired by this tweet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

"Cynthia didn't smile at me long enough when she was ringing out my cigarettes - Voted 1, please fire her"

I mean I guess if a cashier was having a really bad day and like 5-10 paying customers in a row gave negative feedback, that would be an adequate signal that something was wrong with the cashier and a manager should check up on it

See that's why I blame the tech. It's abso-loving-lutely guaranteed that it doesn't flag clear anomalies like this, because then it would be silent most of the time, and corporate might wonder if it was worth it (and why I talk about "giving the customer what they ask for, not what they need"). Instead, if it generates a steady stream of (useless, garbage) data, it justifies its own existence. I also might imagine that a restaurant would have seasonal trends, where business goes up or down regardless of what anyone working for it does, and despite the capitalistic obsession/delusion to make all products available everywhere all the time. Will a franchise/location management system like this refuse to show certain statistics until it has run for at least, say, two years in a row, to generate meaningful data? Obviously not, feedback must be immediate, loud and wrong. Hell, is there any science behind it, except "make big numbers bigger" or "visual feedback from the UI is <200 ms"?

Engineers and scientists are totally complicit in this hosed up system. Just :thermidor: me already

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I blame the lack of proper education in critical thought, ethics and the philosophy of engineering and science.

And non existent worker's rights protection.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Oh yes the whole thing revolves around workers being interchangeable, of course. But this is the reality these products are used in, and engineers can't hide behind "we aren't responsible for abuse of our system". Even from a purely commodity-fetishistic point of view, it's simply a bad product

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJEfJ4gOq8&t=23s

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
remember the autonomous Uber that ran over a pedestrian? the local police department is so eager to have Uber's back that they subpoenaed all the major streaming video services to see if the safety driver may have been watching something

https://mobile.twitter.com/MeganABC15/status/1010125841722847233

Hulu told the police that her account was watching the Voice, told them what episode she was watching, and provided full timestamped logs that even show when it was paused

they also stated, in their correspondence with Hulu, that they planned to use it as evidence in charging her with vehicular manslaughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the police are nothing more than common thugs paid by taxpayers to be the defenders of capital, but that has got me goddamn reeling still