Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

So, he's a masochist right? Likes a bit of self flaggelation?

I mean, it was a loving horrible movie. Comparing to Battlefield Earth? To be honest, i'm not sure BE is the worse film, and that was a steaming pile of trash.

Not gonna lie, having experienced both...

I'd rather watch Wing Commander than play any post-BC3000 game Derek Smart made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
You could always do neither and enjoy good things rather than harming yourself.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You could always do neither and enjoy good things rather than harming yourself.

But if not for people like him, there wouldn't be Let's Plays.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I love how 99% of CIG's videos are just showing you dev tools.

Most game companies hide that stuff or only show it in special behind-the-scenes videos, but CIG has literally nothing else to show.

They're basically taking credit for making the crytek level editor (Hint: they didn't write a single line of code that makes that work)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also that one guy's flock of seagulls haircut just gets worse every video

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That and it was around 22 minutes and over half was their lore.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how 99% of CIG's videos are just showing you dev tools.

Most game companies hide that stuff or only show it in special behind-the-scenes videos, but CIG has literally nothing else to show.

They're basically taking credit for making the crytek level editor (Hint: they didn't write a single line of code that makes that work)

Consider for a moment how desperate they are to show off anything, no matter how broken, janky or unplayable.

Contrast that with the repeated claims from RSI and backers that SQ42 is actually quite far along, but they can't show us anything because they don't want to ~spoilers~ players.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Hello fellow backeteers.

The Wasteland 3 figstarter has given me some Steam keys that I would like to see go to a good home:

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
STASIS (not for people of a sensitive disposition)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Ideally, only request a key if you are not in the best position financially.

Simply PM me with your desired game. First come, first served.

Update:
Shadowrun has been claimed by neonbregna
Wasteland 2 has been claimed by Spiderdrake

Axegrinder fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 22, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Saddest Robot posted:

Consider for a moment how desperate they are to show off anything, no matter how broken, janky or unplayable.

They're going to be talking about the groups system this week. Then some planetary system lore.

They so transparently have nothing.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

XK posted:

They're going to be talking about the groups system this week. Then some planetary system lore.

They so transparently have nothing.

Groups system? Like the ability for players to "form a party" with a special party chat channel, and mutually complete quests and such? What a fascinating game. Every single day I learn about another extremely basic feature it doesn't have and/or treats like a huge deal when they put it in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Eve literally introduced all of SCs features for walking and then pulled them because they weren’t interesting

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Groups system? Like the ability for players to "form a party" with a special party chat channel, and mutually complete quests and such? What a fascinating game. Every single day I learn about another extremely basic feature it doesn't have and/or treats like a huge deal when they put it in.
Hey, be fair. The project is only 6 years old!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Hey, be fair. The project is only 6 years old!

But it has only been in full development for 2 years! 3 tops! They had to build dozens of shell companies!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hi guys.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That's my guess of what Groups system is. And, apparently, not even introducing it, just talking about it. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

"Its pretty exciting what this is going to be doing in the future... but for now there's only a certain few features that are going to be in the game for the end user"

Story of SC development right here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can somebody explain to me what this guy is on about? https://youtu.be/V1mLGSWbbxs?t=6m5s

He talks about wanting to reduce latency, so they're going to cache to avoid having to get all the information from the server...

ALL WHAT INFORMATION? YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A PARTY SYSTEM. ALL IT NEEDS TO KNOW IS THE PLAYERS WHO ARE IN THE PARTY. WHAT IN THE HELL.

I don't want to make too much fun because it sounds like English wasn't his first language, but that's serious word salad. They don't want to query the server all the time for... parties?!

The other guy speaks good English and is just as dumb though. "Its a tool other designers and programmers will use to facilitate their features. So the prime example right now that players will see in 3.2 is quantum linking. That needs the group system or player parties to know who is playing together. Like oh, you me and Joe are going to jump together. So they have to ask our code 'who is together and what are the properties of this group?' "

"A group can change at any time! Maybe quantum linking is about to get started and then your buddy finally accepts an invite from 5 minutes ago, so we need these systems listening for events"

This is the most basic basic baby first videogame poo poo and they're talking about it like they're doing cutting edge work nobody's ever even considered.

You could form parties and teleport members of a party in everquest in 1999. That system from 1999 that ran on potatoes and was coded in C could handle people joining a party right as the wizard casts teleport. Its not hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chris 'two-watches' Roberts

Also goddamn that star system lore is painful to watch, can't do it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

xanif posted:

BE is just bad. Not funny bad. Not so bad it's good bad. It's just bad.

The only thing that makes it worth anyone's time is the rifftrax.

I'm still salty that the harrier jets just worked after a thousand years. Yea. Ok.

I dunno, I’m pretty sure the blow the dome scene is perfect “great lovely movie” fodder. Easily my favorite Rifftrax, even more than The Room. :allears:

MAN ANIMALS!!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Can somebody explain to me what this guy is on about? https://youtu.be/V1mLGSWbbxs?t=6m5s

He talks about wanting to reduce latency, so they're going to cache to avoid having to get all the information from the server...

ALL WHAT INFORMATION? YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A PARTY SYSTEM. ALL IT NEEDS TO KNOW IS THE PLAYERS WHO ARE IN THE PARTY. WHAT IN THE HELL.

I don't want to make too much fun because it sounds like English wasn't his first language, but that's serious word salad. They don't want to query the server all the time for... parties?!

The other guy speaks good English and is just as dumb though. "Its a tool other designers and programmers will use to facilitate their features. So the prime example right now that players will see in 3.2 is quantum linking. That needs the group system or player parties to know who is playing together. Like oh, you me and Joe are going to jump together. So they have to ask our code 'who is together and what are the properties of this group?' "

"A group can change at any time! Maybe quantum linking is about to get started and then your buddy finally accepts an invite from 5 minutes ago, so we need these systems listening for events"

This is the most basic basic baby first videogame poo poo and they're talking about it like they're doing cutting edge work nobody's ever even considered.

You could form parties and teleport members of a party in everquest in 1999. That system from 1999 that ran on potatoes and was coded in C could handle people joining a party right as the wizard casts teleport. Its not hard.

They are saying that information about certain ever-changing things like party composition will be cached by the clients and then updated via events when necessary. So you do not need to query the server to ask "where/who/what are all my party members" when you want to make some party-action. Instead, you query your local cached copy. This also has the advantage that you can take that cached info outside of the game and use it for spectrum stuff or whatever to interact across platforms.

Now, this all sounds all very logical, simple, and common because it's logical, simple, and common. But this is loving CIG we're talking about, they are transitioning from a system where every single player gets updates about every single object in the game as it happens to one where a player gets no info whatsoever outside of their area of interest. But then... how do you get info about your teammates a billion kilometers away? Well, you create an entity that lets you query the server about them. But then... isn't that too inefficient? Well, you allow the info to be cached and updated asynchronously (they are working on this). But then... doesn't that increase the server workload? Well, you offload that service to a secondary sever. But then... doesn't that increase the overall latency? Well...

In about 5 years they'll have this all figured out and finally be able to handle stuff that other MMOs have solved on day 1.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Braben, seeing the success of Star Citizen's Tier Zero Mining is adding some fidelity to ED's mining

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/434086-HITTING-THE-MOTHERLODE

Will you look at this description of a feature that isn't mumbling brain garbage? Man, Frontier should sign up for Chris Robert's new seminar, "Money Magic: How to Bumblefuck Your Way to Hundreds of Millions Without Ever Really Saying or Doing Anything at All."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Will you look at this description of a feature that isn't mumbling brain garbage? Man, Frontier should sign up for Chris Robert's new seminar, "Money Magic: How to Bumblefuck Your Way to Hundreds of Millions Without Ever Really Saying or Doing Anything at All."

quote:

The first thing to talk about is Analysis Mode, a new HUD mode allowing players to locate these new deposits, as well as granting access to all the new modules and functionality.

Every ship will automatically gain this mode, no purchase or module is required to use it

Those loving retards!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I know this a dumb rhetorical question, but what happens when two Prospectors mine the same rock at the same time?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, no dude, you clearly don't understand game development. For a party system of acceptable fidelity, the server needs to send updates every single frame about :
  • who is in your party
  • their position in world coordinates
  • their position relative to your coordinates
  • how fast they are traveling in world coordinates
  • how fast they are traveling relative to you
  • fully rendered viewport showing what they are seeing in real time
  • their heart-rate
  • how much argon they are currently breathing
  • whether they have to poop or not
  • their distance from the nearest bathroom
And that's just off the top of my head. Oh, and those should be blocking calls. Your next frame SHOULD NOT render unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN about whether you still have friends or not.

This is Star Citizen guys, not some bullshit "big pub" shovels out to plebs. Christ you guys don't understand game development.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Colostomy Bag posted:

I know this a dumb rhetorical question, but what happens when two Prospectors mine the same rock at the same time?

They are shot backwards at one quadrillion km/s while rotating at a frequency of around 10 million.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

We don't want too much information to go across the network, so we'll cache your party members' information, proactively.

It's a tool other programmers will be able to use. Quantum linking? Party rules. If the leader leaves the group. The systems have to listen to events. What's more exciting is we're building this foundation for more complicated features in the future. The first one being the lobby service which will replace the current chat implementation.

-cut-

I quit.

I was trying to build a cohesive post out of that video, but I can't follow and try to process the content of that video any longer. It's just too much.I bailed out.

SomethingJones, transcribe that if you dare.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lladre posted:

Hi guys.

Lets rub!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hey look someone went ahead and made a game that puts Star Citizen to shame (even if it's single player and 2d graphics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsaSIglPnXs

I can only imagine this took them less than 200 million dollars and 6 years

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colostomy Bag posted:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Those loving retards!

Looks like a missed opportunity there. They could have charged $50 to add that to ships.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

And LO! CIG once again invent a new term for something that has existed for decades! Backers are going to wet themselves over this. They are going to be now prophecising QUANTUM MOTHERFUCKING LINKING as the best thing since sliced bread, never been done before, and once in, everything will become better.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"Chris. If someone asks if you can add a feature to your game, you say 'YES!'"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XK posted:

BE has had numerous mocking videos made about it by "bad movie" reviewers. It's pretty much "Troll 2" level of infamy. Those are both really awful movies, but also have some weird fun within their terribleness. Nobody touches the Wing Commander movie because it's just empty awful garbage.

As an aside, the best movie crobbler's Hollywood affairs has ever touched is "Lord of War". Who knows what his actual involvement was. Might've just made a few phone calls or something. Decent movie, though.

Yeah, Lord of War was actually a good movie.

Makes you wonder about backers though if the best they can do about CR's works is compare them to the lowest of the low.

I wonder how this will progress over the years in relation to Star Citizen.

Currently: "SC in alpha already has more features than ED has!"
In 5 years: "SC in alpha is still a better game than Frontier: First Encounters!"
In 10 years: "SC in alpha is still better than anything Derek Smart has released!"
In 20 years: "SC in aplha is still better than staring at a potato!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

And LO! CIG once again invent a new term for something that has existed for decades! Backers are going to wet themselves over this. They are going to be now prophecising QUANTUM MOTHERFUCKING LINKING as the best thing since sliced bread, never been done before, and once in, everything will become better.

I just got Assassin's Creed Black Flag because that's how I roll - years behind the curve. So far in this years-old game I have:

- Engaged in melee battles on land
- Swam out to and seamlessly boarded a ship
- Walked without immersion animations and always in full control of my character to the wheel of that ship and started to pilot it
- Engaged in a sea battle manning multiple firing stations without relying on teammates or AI
- Then crippled and grappled an enemy vessel
- Manning a cannon to shoot the gunpowder barrels on their deck
- Then swinging over on a rope and engaging them in a battle on their deck
- Capturing the ship for myself
- The whole time both my ship and theirs was tossed in a storm so the relative positions of me, the friendly crew, and the enemy crew were constantly bobbing up and down in the waves requiring me to take that into consideration when firing the cannons lest I hit only the bow

Now isn't all this loving poo poo exactly what CIG said has never been done, and has been trying to do, since day 1? Seamless battles, entering/exiting ships without loading screens, having FPS battles on the ship itself with separate physics grids for each ship, gently caress it even has stealth and vaulting. And shitloads and shitloads more.

Ubisoft gets a lot of hate for making the same game over and over again, but poo poo if some of them don't hit the mark. Watch this poo poo if you've never seen it - imagine CIG getting even 1% of this working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0o_dcFxf48&t=111s

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

since the gif was posted in this thread does anyone know the best way to play lemmings 2 on windows 10?

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to emulate an amiga

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Spiderdrake posted:

since the gif was posted in this thread does anyone know the best way to play lemmings 2 on windows 10?

You're going to be emulating something to play it, might as well be the Amiga

e: Amiga's not too hard to emulate. You need the OS as well as a BIOS, but that means you're searching for one more file than you would to emulate Playstation or whatever. It's easy

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 22, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

We're playing Lemmings 2018 right now in this thread.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The CIG Scam Playbook

Random Excerpt

- Take a bog-standard game feature, preferably one in almost every game, that every gamer has been familiar with for decades (AI, grouping, quests, etc.)
- Outline every small detail of the engineering challenges that go along with said feature - details real game developers don't mention because nobody cares - this will make your backers think they're "seeing how the sausage is made" and they will become self-professed experts on game development
- DO NOT MENTION that those engineering challenges have been solved by real game developers for decades, to the point where they've practically become plugins
- Pick one or two of the embedded "challenges" to focus on as a "blocker"
- "Create" a new technology to solve the "blocker" - it is critical you give that technology a buzzword for your backers to repeat: "subsumption AI", "network bind culling", etc.
- Start focusing development timelines and propaganda videos on that technology, rather than the game
- Always hint, but never state outright, that the completion of these technologies will cause the progress of the project to hurtle forward
- Fail

Congratulations! You're developing the CIG way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

In 20 years: "SC in aplha is still better than staring at a potato!"

I dunno, man- I mean have you seen this?!?

Tater got back...