Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The mutants will stop showing up for a while if you leave the area. The basic relationship is that if you’re too big of an issue the cannibals will herd the mutants to you.

This is why I sing the praises of the way station setup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Hey I just got The Long Dark, going in blind and am wondering if you guys recommend doing story or survival mode first?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mellowjournalism posted:

Hey I just got The Long Dark, going in blind and am wondering if you guys recommend doing story or survival mode first?

Survival.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Sweet, I had a feeling story was a tacked on feature but didn't want to read too much about it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

mellowjournalism posted:

Sweet, I had a feeling story was a tacked on feature but didn't want to read too much about it.

Honestly, like, do the first part of the first chapter, just till you hit the road, it functions as a tutorial. The story mode isn't actually all that bad, I went through all that was there before doing survival and had a good time, if it was a bit too busyworky at times, tho the devs have expressed plans on reworking stuff on that end.

Still, TLD is imho one of the best survival games out there, so enjoy either way!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
also don't be afraid to play higher difficulties. you'll die and stuff but that game is a lot more fun when you're actually under threat, something that the lower difficulties just dont do

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd play higher difficulty settings but the jumpscares gently caress me up. I can't properly relax and enjoy the game cause I'm constantly on edge waiting for a wolf to gently caress me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They added options at some point that let you do a custom difficulty. You can make everything super hard but also make wildlife passive. It's my preferred way to play if I don't want to mess with animals.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There's something to be said of the lower difficulties as well, the game is very atmospheric, and some of my favorite moments are just the long treks across the regions, taking in the sights with the steady crunch of my footsteps in the snow. The game calls it's lowest difficulty a pensive survival experience with good reason.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had no idea custom options were a thing, I stopped playing way back when, cause I walked into the dam and there was a loving wolf on the stairs that gave me a heart attack. quit the game and didn't have the balls to go back, I've always had a seriously low tolerance for jumpscares / horror games / creepy atmospheric games.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Jawnycat posted:

Honestly, like, do the first part of the first chapter, just till you hit the road, it functions as a tutorial. The story mode isn't actually all that bad, I went through all that was there before doing survival and had a good time, if it was a bit too busyworky at times, tho the devs have expressed plans on reworking stuff on that end.

Still, TLD is imho one of the best survival games out there, so enjoy either way!

I don't mind a little tutorial because I found myself sort of killing the atmosphere by stopping every five seconds to figure out controls and explore menus. So thanks for the tip! I will totally do just that

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Qubee posted:

I had no idea custom options were a thing, I stopped playing way back when, cause I walked into the dam and there was a loving wolf on the stairs that gave me a heart attack. quit the game and didn't have the balls to go back, I've always had a seriously low tolerance for jumpscares / horror games / creepy atmospheric games.

The last time I played I creeped around the whole dam on edge waiting for fluffy to come out and fight me shortly thereafter I read they removed her

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Tweak posted:

The last time I played I creeped around the whole dam on edge waiting for fluffy to come out and fight me shortly thereafter I read they removed her

It's been a while since I played story mode, but I think I remember that there's a dead wolf behind a barricaded door in the place where she used to spawn.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just fired up my first go at the new cooking system and good news! day 2 interloper timberwolf summit seems to be dead

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Qubee posted:

fluffy thanks you for your business, citizen!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Verviticus posted:

i just fired up my first go at the new cooking system and good news! day 2 interloper timberwolf summit seems to be dead

on the other hand, they've added fire barrels to basically everywhere. that rules

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
For some reason I really like survival games. Subnautica was great as was The Forest (thank you all for your help with The Forest, by the way).

Now, with the Steam sale I'm looking at a few other crafty/open world/survival games and I'm wondering if people have opinions on the following:

Conan Exiles (can this effectively be played single player or will it be a huge slog?)

Outcast - Second Contact

Planet Nomads

Eden Star

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles.

If anyone has thoughts on these titles I'd love to hear them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Having played both Planet Nomads and Yonder, I'd recommend you steer clear of both of them.

Nomads - crafting system was a bit iffy, it was visually stunning but felt very shallow, I can't put my finger on it but I'm a huge survival fan and this game only scratched the itch for about an hour or two before I realised how unintuitive a lot of things are.
Yonder - very cute game, vibrant and bubbly aesthetic, but I went into it expecting a Harvest Moon-esque type of game where you can farm, raise animals, etc, but the reality of it is you're stuck constantly grinding for stuff and it's not very rewarding. If you've got cash to blow, I'd recommend this over Nomads.

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is high on my recommendation list right now. Alpha 8 just came out and the game is heaps of fun. You can play solo or on PVE servers. They've nailed the grind mechanics, everything you unlock and craft feels rewarding because it's paced perfectly. Nowhere along the way will you get frustrated at how inane the grind is, needlessly difficult for the sake of it. Progression is smooth and you unlock stuff right when you feel it's ready. Progressing from a lovely bike to your first janky hover vehicle (HV) to explore the huge planets, and then dedicating time to making a more functional and visually pleasing HV with added harvesting tools (ore miner, wood cutter) lets you progress faster and wipes out a lot of the chore of the early game. It's fun manually mining and chopping, but after two hours, you want to focus on the more enjoyable aspects of the game, which this nails. You then work on your first small vehicle (SV), to travel faster and farther out, and attempt your first space voyages.

Definitely worth a look into. Visually, the game isn't anything special, but it's not too bad. The AI can be a bit dumb, but overall, I'm mad addicted to it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Vasler posted:

For some reason I really like survival games. Subnautica was great as was The Forest (thank you all for your help with The Forest, by the way).

Now, with the Steam sale I'm looking at a few other crafty/open world/survival games and I'm wondering if people have opinions on the following:

Conan Exiles (can this effectively be played single player or will it be a huge slog?)

Outcast - Second Contact

Planet Nomads

Eden Star

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles.

If anyone has thoughts on these titles I'd love to hear them.

The only one I can speak to here is Conan Exiles. Like in ARK, you can adjust the sliders for the game's variables - increasing experience gain, speeding up crafting, lowering refresh times, etc., so if you want to mess around with it solo you can. I only played a few hours of it and I can tell you that even with doing that, the game is clearly designed with MP in mind because you have to craft a lot of poo poo to get stuff done. I didn't get far enough into it but supposedly you can finish the game single player if you want.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Finishing Conan Exiles storyline solo isn't even remotely hard, however the game apparently deletes your character when you do so not sure why anyone would.

I was playing ARK a little bit some times ago and CE seems a bit more SP oriented than that at least from building perspective. I've been building stuff in CE without touching the sliders, but in ARK I recall getting bored of the huge resource requirements pretty fast.

Overall I like CE for what it is, a exploration/building simulator set in Hyborian age. Funcom made the mistake of adding multiplayer into the game, and even worse, luring in the pvp crowd. That's what for the most parts explains all the incessant bitching, whining and bad reviews the game gets.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's a great co-op game, an okay solo game. Just raise some gathering sliders so it's not a slog in single player

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Qubee posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is high on my recommendation list right now. Alpha 8 just came out and the game is heaps of fun. You can play solo or on PVE servers. They've nailed the grind mechanics, everything you unlock and craft feels rewarding because it's paced perfectly. Nowhere along the way will you get frustrated at how inane the grind is, needlessly difficult for the sake of it. Progression is smooth and you unlock stuff right when you feel it's ready. Progressing from a lovely bike to your first janky hover vehicle (HV) to explore the huge planets, and then dedicating time to making a more functional and visually pleasing HV with added harvesting tools (ore miner, wood cutter) lets you progress faster and wipes out a lot of the chore of the early game. It's fun manually mining and chopping, but after two hours, you want to focus on the more enjoyable aspects of the game, which this nails. You then work on your first small vehicle (SV), to travel faster and farther out, and attempt your first space voyages.

Definitely worth a look into. Visually, the game isn't anything special, but it's not too bad. The AI can be a bit dumb, but overall, I'm mad addicted to it.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I checked it out again on your recommendation. Landed on the red mesa planet in single player and immediately the only option that seems open to me is to mine surface rocks to make ores to make my first drill. But with these numbers that alone is going to take hours and gently caress all that.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Empyrion seems kinda interesting but it's been EA three. loving. years.

I'll consider giving them money when they actually deliver a 1.0, I'm tired of EA limbo games.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I checked it out again on your recommendation. Landed on the red mesa planet in single player and immediately the only option that seems open to me is to mine surface rocks to make ores to make my first drill. But with these numbers that alone is going to take hours and gently caress all that.

You should be starting the default campaign, where it lands you on Akua and has like a brief and somewhat straightforward tutorial thing that gets you setup. You scout a bunch of signals, each of which has items for you to use, and it allows you to build a simple base and craft tools to properly mine for ore and chop trees. Mining the surface rocks is for the very, very early game for when you desperately need to craft another early-game tool. I would only mine them when I wanted to craft a drill or chainsaw, and with the motorbike, it's easy to drive fast and tell which one is iron, copper or silicon.

Red Mesa is (afaik) one of the medium to high tier planets. Each ore stone provides 6 ore, which is enough for 1 ingot (5 ore), and IIRC the drill / chainsaw only needs one or two ingots of each to make. Once you have those tools, it becomes a cakewalk:

- Build your first simple base, just as somewhere to keep you safe from the cold and enemy drones. I make mine out of wood to begin with. Soon you'll be swimming in rock dust and can easily upgrade the walls / floors / ceilings to concrete, then reinforced concrete, etc.
- Have it somewhere relatively close to all major ores, though promethium isn't as important because a little goes a long way, which makes occasional long treks to the ore deposit not that big a deal. Copper, iron and silicon are the main ones that you need a lot of
- 5-10 minutes of drilling at an ore deposit with your drone (F5) nets you enough ores for loads of craftables. Figuring out the drone is able to use your handheld tools was a lifesaver, the amount of time I wasted as a noob personally entering my mine shafts and having to constantly smooth it out so I could escape was a ballache. With the drone, you can just drill straight down and not worry about trapping yourself in.
- Once you've got a base and ores, make a weapon and go hunting. Killing poo poo gets you the most XP so you level up fast.
- Use the level up points to unlock tech, focus on tools first, and then a turret for your base, and then HV components
- The reason you prioritize HV components as opposed to SV / CV components is because HVs are the cheapest and easiest to build, and also enable to you harvest resources much quicker and reach ore deposits much faster.
- From there, it's just common sense and personal choice where you go in the tech tree, after unlocking the basic HV stuff and you're getting materials easily, you can branch into SV stuff to start space travelling

PS: If you're EU, I'd be down for playing together sometime, or just showing you the ropes.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 24, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Yeah I own Empyrion and have played it a few times over the years. I find there's too much farming for materials relative to the amount of "fun".

I also picked up Astroneer a while back and I regret my purchase. Even though it was only $10 the game seems really shallow and I don't really understand what the hell I'm supposed to even be doing.

Sounds to me like Conan Exiles is a good purchase.

What about Outcast - Second Contact or Eden Star?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

You need to search around for different kinds of rock. If you only mine the "crushed stone" ones and convert it into ore it will take hours.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Find 3-4 each of iron, copper, and silicon rocks, and make a motorcycle ASAP. Then use the bike to find a place where those three ore deposits are pretty close to each other and make a small base there. You’ll never need to bust a surface rock again.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Is Empyrion single player and co-op technically similar to some other survival games where you create an offline/local server and play on that? If not, are there going to be character wipes when they finally release in 202x?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Find 3-4 each of iron, copper, and silicon rocks, and make a motorcycle ASAP. Then use the bike to find a place where those three ore deposits are pretty close to each other and make a small base there. You’ll never need to bust a surface rock again.

the beginning tutorial purposely has you head towards a wreckage signal that has all 3 ore deposits nearby. I don't know why he's ending up on the red planet, Akua is great for first timers.

Once you have a hover vehicle, materials gathering is a cakewalk. legit, stick one of those chainsaw harvesters for wood / plants, and then a drill to ore stuff out really easily. I also go on killing sprees at the AI bases and I walk away with so much experience, so I can slam my way straight to the T2 drill tech for the HV, which makes ore mining even easier, especially now that they brought back the voxel ore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fewd posted:

Is Empyrion single player and co-op technically similar to some other survival games where you create an offline/local server and play on that? If not, are there going to be character wipes when they finally release in 202x?

Every time they release a new "big" version the old saves are incompatible. But you can play offline, so if you want you can just keep the old version with your saves.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Every time they release a new "big" version the old saves are incompatible.

Well, that explains how they're able to push big looking patches on the Steam news stream so often. Constantly polishing and making an alpha release backwards compatible takes ages. Like, even longer than it takes now, that is. But anyway, thanks, definitely waiting for full release then. I'm not big on being a proper alpha tester.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Just beat ICY: Frostbite Edition and I gotta say it was a fun little survival experience. It's a post apocalyptic snow-world group survival rpg that's fairly linear and can be beaten in a day or two. The wierd part is it actually has a finished story with multiple cool endings and doesn't feel like it's really missing anything. There's even a fun deckbuilding combat system. Right now it's like two bux on steam, pick it up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else playing Oxygen Not Included? It’s more of a sim but very much about survival. I’m obsessed, it’s very good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dylguy90 posted:

Just beat ICY: Frostbite Edition and I gotta say it was a fun little survival experience. It's a post apocalyptic snow-world group survival rpg that's fairly linear and can be beaten in a day or two. The wierd part is it actually has a finished story with multiple cool endings and doesn't feel like it's really missing anything. There's even a fun deckbuilding combat system. Right now it's like two bux on steam, pick it up.

Is that kind of like NEO Scavenger?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

man I need more games like NEO Scavenger, I loved that game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i could never get into NEO because finding a loving pair of shoes was so hard that i ended up getting my poo poo kicked in by just humping it around the wilderness

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
NEO is great, but have a frustratingly rough start.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Coolguye posted:

i could never get into NEO because finding a loving pair of shoes was so hard that i ended up getting my poo poo kicked in by just humping it around the wilderness

I just chose the build that lets you make most of your own clothes

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is anyone playing SCUM? Or maybe Miscreated? I'm curious how the PvE combat is in those games. For some reason its insanely hard to find any info whatsover about PvE combat in Miscreated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is anyone playing SCUM? Or maybe Miscreated? I'm curious how the PvE combat is in those games.
I watch a streamer semi stunlock a zombie with knife attack. Probably not doable against more than one since zombie can run. Melee seem sastifying.

Then He was chase by a group of bandits, and run like a mile before bandit finally got him with guns while he was bandaging.