Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
For what it's worth NASCAR's Facebook page has been posting non-stop about Muh Troops...is the season really not that interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

von Manstein posted:

For what it's worth NASCAR's Facebook page has been posting non-stop about Muh Troops...is the season really not that interesting?

I assume they just accepted a big fat payment with the DoD for Muh Troops.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Please, NASCAR will 100% blow the military for free

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

Harvick ran the K&N race last year, didn't he?

Like I kinda give the younger guys a bit of a pass, but Jesus.

He actually raced another one this year. I'll give him a pass, it was Kern County which is Bakersfield brought back so he can drive at his home track.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have no problem with Buschwhacking (or doing any lower series affiliated with NASCAR) if it's at a track that the Cup series doesn't visit.

When you're doing it for extra practice time for the Cup race? You can eat my whole rear end. Go sign autographs instead of doing that poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ChaseBriscoe5/status/1009919119414779907

You're alright, Chase Briscoe.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm sure he'll milkshake duck himself sooner rather than later

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd forgotten Logan Lucky was a thing but saw it at Redbox and was curious to see both their portrayal of NASCAR and James Bond with bleach blonde hair. 20 minutes in, it's already eons better than Talladega Nights.

Also, I have two TVs here so I can watch Trucks on the other screen. :toot:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tomorrow is the final Boogity of 2018.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

:peanut:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

I like the way you work it

No boogity

I like to turn it uuuuuuuup

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Harveygod posted:

No boogity

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Harveygod posted:

No boogity

I like to crank it uuuuuuuup

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I unfortunately get to miss it!

Road America bitches :getin:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Another week of Noah Gregson blowing it at the end, gently caress KBM :)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Harveygod posted:

No boogity

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
COLE PEARN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

"The name's Pearn. Cole Pearn."

That was some sneaky rear end poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I have some bad news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyV6neIvn8E

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'd take a whole booth full of Rick Allens over 1 DW.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Let's hope NBC coverage is better than FOX. I can't take much more of the same 4 commercials shown 5000 times a race anymore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You know what's not going to help NASCAR?
https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1011007487993155584

...four guys winning all the races.

Another fun fact:
https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1011250395828641798

Norns posted:

Let's hope NBC coverage is better than FOX. I can't take much more of the same 4 commercials shown 5000 times a race anymore.

And now a quick word from Duracell!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like every race in the 90s was won by Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace or Dale Jarrett, almost all the points races sucked and the sport still had massive growth, the parity is not an issue

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like every race in the 90s was won by Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace or Dale Jarrett, almost all the points races sucked and the sport still had massive growth, the parity is not an issue

They're doing the same dumb poo poo as F1, where they're pointing the finger at "problems" that have existed since always, instead of the stuff they've actually changed recently and might correlate to falling popularity.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Terry Labonte taking the '96 title with like 2 victories ftw

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

No, but it's not going to help when "MTJ/Kyle/Kevin win All The Races" becomes yet another knock on a sport which already has more than enough of them right now.

e- Unless you're a fan of one of the three as I was with Gordon in the '90s. Those years owned and I didn't fully understand the hate until years later when Jimmie did the same thing and it all of a sudden made sense.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 25, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

No, but it's not going to help when "MTJ/Kyle/Kevin win All The Races" becomes yet another knock on a sport which already has more than enough of them right now.

e- Unless you're a fan of one of the three as I was with Gordon in the '90s. Those years owned and I didn't fully understand the hate until years later when Jimmie did the same thing and it all of a sudden made sense.

Domination isn't a problem for a sport if those dominating are heroes or villains. Kyle Busch is loving polarizing and it's the best thing NASCAR has got right now as far as a rooting interest (for or against), but that's probably it. Martin Truex Jr. doesn't move the needle for me either way; the dude is just loving good. (See also: Dixon, Scott.) It gets boring when the loving good people keep winning races in a way where it's pointless to root for the other guys, knowing that someone like MTJ is just going to stomp the field no matter what happens like at Sonoma this weekend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The big problem is this:
https://twitter.com/Kid_Lizette/status/997353549590917120
Only subsitute "hot and ready" with "young and new". Jeff Gordon was exactly that, a new, young driver who is suddenly putting on a show. I loved last season because MTJ suddenly had everything line up perfectly, and it wasn't JimmyBot or KyBu or any of the past champions.

All the young, new drivers, except Larson (who isn't that new at this point), haven't won a race. Even Chase Elliot, who NASCAR is subtly trying to push as the future star of the sport, can't win.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Domination isn't a problem for a sport if those dominating are heroes or villains. Kyle Busch is loving polarizing and it's the best thing NASCAR has got right now as far as a rooting interest (for or against), but that's probably it. Martin Truex Jr. doesn't move the needle for me either way; the dude is just loving good. (See also: Dixon, Scott.) It gets boring when the loving good people keep winning races in a way where it's pointless to root for the other guys, knowing that someone like MTJ is just going to stomp the field no matter what happens like at Sonoma this weekend.

Nail on the loving head my friend. Like all of the best NASCAR races I've watched in the last five years ended with Busch winning because he's a god drat genius. I hate it so much but it's drat fine TV.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1011243145806442497
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1011248307757297665

Somebody might drop $2B on NASCAR and still leave the France family in control.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a million things wrong with NASCAR but the biggest problem IMO is that nobody has actual personality anymore because you can't do anything but suck NASCAR's dick without getting fined.

Even when the on track product was bad in the 90s, you could count on some off track stuff to keep people entertained and to make them have a vested interest in the races.

What reason, other than complete randomness or "I liked the guy who used to drive that car" would any fan have to give a poo poo about any of the young drivers now.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

but you see Austin Dillon is much more than the 3. see he has a mohawk and wears a cowboy hat! :mitt:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

What reason, other than complete randomness or "I liked the guy who used to drive that car" would any fan have to give a poo poo about any of the young drivers now.

I used to watch Dave Blaney race sprint cars

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My memeory might fail me but didn't (Jeff) Burton, Labonte, and Ernie Irvan win on occasion?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1011284906427723778

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DW returning is the actual worst thing to happen to NASCAR all year. You cannot challenge me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

sportsgenius86 posted:

NASCAR's issues with promoting young drivers isn't just with Cup drivers hogging the spotlight in Trucks and Xfinity. There's also the deeper problem about local tracks and regional series not getting the same kind of attendance or attention that they might have used to.

Indycar is killing it with the MRTI and having the junior series race with the big boys, since it basically forces fans to see and know the good drivers coming up. By the time they get to Indycar they'll have a base level of marketability, more than someone just appearing out of thin air.

That's what happens when fresh new talent makes it way up to Trucks. Like, who the hell are these kids getting a ride and why should I care about them? It's incredible, but not at all surprising, that someone like Brett Moffitt can't find enough sponsorship to pursue a championship in Trucks that he's clearly capable of competing for and getting the exposure that comes with that. How many people even knew about him before he got to Trucks? Because sponsors clearly don't.

NASCAR needs to give its regional series a lot more prominence and coverage, so that more known drivers come in at the bottom. Make triple-header weekends exclusively for K&N and Trucks and Xfinity, or do more K&N/Cup weekends like at Sonoma. Make the fans and television viewers and streaming audiences get to know these kids so there's at least name recognition if and when they make it to Trucks.

I had a big ol' rant in the Discord about what it would take for me, A Racing Enthusiast in Los Angeles, to make it out for a Cup race in Fontana. These days it needs to be the same reason why I'd go to Irwindale or Ventura or Long Beach for the GP: Give me lots and lots of racing to watch. One Cup race isn't going to cut it anymore; I'd like to see Xfinity run same day and maybe throw in a few SST races while you're at it. But even then I'd prefer to go to Irwindale first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3kkXKkvyA

Yesterday, I watched this race of the K&N West series running at Irwindale last year. As I was watching it, I realized three things:

1) That this is good racing and it was much more likely that I would go to Irwindale for this event next year;
2) Todd Gilliland (the race winner here) is someone who races in Trucks, and I immediately felt a better connection to him as someone who raced at one of my local tracks;
3) Goddamn the NAPA colors look loving good on a race car don't they?

NASCAR needs to get #1 back somehow, but if they don't get #2 happening with more drivers and more series, NASCAR is even more hosed than any of us can imagine.