Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What if Bakugo got One for All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Carlosologist posted:

What if Mineta got One for All

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kild posted:

It's likely his parents would've transformed into pyrokinesis or something similar.

Firebending is pyrokinesis :ssh:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I like that all of those are basically Nolan Joker

No one has the guts to do one where he basically is a lamer version of condiment man from the Batman animated series or a pervert like the dude who became a villain just to get beaten up by power girl

I mean the grape kid is one bad day away from being the second example

Is it ever explained how he passed the entrance exam

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Firebending is pyrokinesis :ssh:

how do I learn pyrokinesis from dragons

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I mean the grape kid is one bad day away from being the second example

Is it ever explained how he passed the entrance exam
You get points for immobilizing the robots, which his quirk is very good for.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

My idea for a spin-off would be a story focusing around the "worst" hero school since all we've seen are the best

Faculty are d-listers, reformed Villains, disgraced former pros who may have been decently good

Students are basically kids with trash quirks, or attitude/behavior issues that got them kicked out of better schools, the odd ringer who doesn't really give a poo poo where they go since their goal is just a license, maybe a kid with a really really super top tier quirk whom no one will take for some possibly tragic reason, children of Villains, etc

Main character is Gentle who is attending as part of his reformation.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fabricated posted:

You get points for immobilizing the robots, which his quirk is very good for.

Plus, he could make a robot rip its own limbs off if he managed to get one under its foot while in motion, assuming the balls are strong enough.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Never forget that Mineta only wants to be a hero so he can be cool with women. And somehow total conviction in this idea let him beat Midnight in the exam arc

Good thing he’s barely around anymore

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

Plus, he could make a robot rip its own limbs off if he managed to get one under its foot while in motion, assuming the balls are strong enough.

haven't they so far been proven to be absolutely permanent until they run out of time? it's actually an extremely good power limited primarily by the fact that mineta has it

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I wonder how many times we've gone down this 'how did [particular hero] pass the entrance exam, anyway?' rabbit hole. I feel like this is at least the fourth iteration.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Probably. If it wasn't this it would be something else. Such is the fate of any long-running thread.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Endeavor is gonna be in the next chapter and then we'll have another discussion about whether this week is the start of the walkback

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

People are out here asking "What would happen if Deku had inherited both his parents' quirks?" as if the current arc isn't based on a character who had like three or four kids trying to make that happen. It's not guaranteed, I think Bakugou and Todoroki are the only characters we know that are confirmed to have combined their parents' quirks. Also taking 'pull small objects towards me' and 'exhale fire' and making it into firebending or yanking down robots is a bit of a leap. Stop using those imaginations y'all, we live in the real fake world. :colbert:

Actually, what if some of the simpler quirks we've seen are actually combinations

Ojiro's huge tail is actually Regular Tail plus Muscles, Mineta's is actually Gross And Sticky All The Time plus Ball Shaped Hair- wait a second-

MHA Wiki posted:

The Minoru Mantle: This equipment was originally desired to flutter in the wind, however, the designers decided to make it shorter so that it wouldn't get stuck on his hair.

Mineta's hair is ALWAYS sticky?! Oh gross, look at what happens to people with curly hair in the real world, imagine how many people have touched it by accident before knowing about his quirk

"Aw, what a cute kid, look at this hair!"
"Please stop touching my child."
"Ma'am, I cannot."

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Can't wait for another week of r/raisedbynarcissists discussing how disappointed they'll be if endeavor isn't KILLED for his fictional crimes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the talk about the hypothetical "endeavor redemption arc" seems a bit performative to me in here like ppl are mad at stuff that hasn't happened when the author of this very story seems generally pretty nuanced and good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tbp posted:

the talk about the hypothetical "endeavor redemption arc" seems a bit performative to me in here like ppl are mad at stuff that hasn't happened when the author of this very story seems generally pretty nuanced and good

As people have said, they’re not worried about the author

Jump’s editors have a history of cracking down hard on stories that suggest you maybe shouldn’t respect your elders

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Mineta's hair is ALWAYS sticky?! Oh gross, look at what happens to people with curly hair in the real world, imagine how many people have touched it by accident before knowing about his quirk

"Aw, what a cute kid, look at this hair!"
"Please stop touching my child."
"Ma'am, I cannot."

Now, see, that's why the balls pop off, to prevent that particular issue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I would unironically rather read the comic where Deku has the interesting combo of his parents' powers that has synergy with his classmates, rather than generic "super strong and fast."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ytlaya posted:

I would unironically rather read the comic where Deku has the interesting combo of his parents' powers that has synergy with his classmates, rather than generic "super strong and fast."

Agreed. At least he gets to do the wind blasts and such. Still, half the fun of a superhero story is the weird power combos and, in the case of a school, their growth. Limiting those things to better control and safe threshold is unfortunate. Deku being a hyper-analyst does shore up some of the creativity, though.

I suppose it's easy to synergize with a variety of people if with the One for All powerset, but also handle things alone in a major situation. This befits a protagonist.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ytlaya posted:

Hard disagree, because there's no combination of his parents powers that isn't just a worse version of Todoroki or Endeavor. Plus Deku having a useful quirk means it removes the One for All legacy stuff which is half the reason why this manga is even good.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 22, 2018

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
that quirk suits dekus personality a lot tbh, which is why i like it better that he has the buku insane power up quirk instead

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
half the fun of the manga for a long time was watching deku blow up his limbs in various creative ways and if you take out one for all you lose that

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

half the fun of the manga for a long time was watching deku blow up his limbs in various creative ways and if you take out one for all you lose that
Somebody brought up Deku passing down OfA to Eri a few pages back, and that seems appropriate because she's already broken.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Supersonic Shine posted:

Somebody brought up Deku passing down OfA to Eri a few pages back, and that seems appropriate because she's already broken.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Supersonic Shine posted:

:dogbutton:

she's getting better u monster

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

:dogbutton:

she's getting better u monster
Oh Jesus, I meant her powers. I didn't mean the other thing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

As people have said, they’re not worried about the author

Jump’s editors have a history of cracking down hard on stories that suggest you maybe shouldn’t respect your elders

how highly ranked was AssClass during that arc, wasn't there not even an anime yet as opposed to three seasons and a movie

Supersonic Shine posted:

Oh Jesus, I meant her powers. I didn't mean the other thing.

lmao

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Patware posted:

meanwhile ojiro and deku are in the back of the car talking at length about how unsafe crossfit is
Deku had to have become a real fitness nut to get where he is. He's absolutely got Opinions (even if they're mostly just parroting All Might's.)

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Deku had to have become a real fitness nut to get where he is. He's absolutely got Opinions (even if they're mostly just parroting All Might's.)

"Never do kipping pull ups Midoriya boy. Only villians do that."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Spoilers are coming out

The ideas I've seen are

1. Endeavour is loving dead
2. Now he'll have a scar that resembles his Sons

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 22, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/188/5169/1

Chapter is out now. The MS one is closer to accurate, the Box one is very confusing.

EDIT: to clarify the ending dialog those thoughts are Endeavors, not Todoroki's. Neither translation is clear, but he's essentially saying 'I will become someone you can be proud of, as a hero and as a man.'

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 22, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Karma police just conducted a no-knock raid, god dang

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I am pleasantly surprised.

I mean this is going to basically lead to punished Endeavor, regardless if he gets back up and wins somehow or if he just stays down and the noumu bails. This is going to be a huge blow to society.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gonna be interesting to see Endeavor holding the number 1 spot for the next few years while also redeeming himself as both a father and a person, with half of his face gone. A bold move by the author but I can see it paying off.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Given that it wasn't deep enough to even get to his teeth I think the worst Endeavor is going to walk away with is a missing eye.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Finally, Oda reveals who he was saving the eyepatch for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I am pleasantly surprised.

I mean this is going to basically lead to punished Endeavor, regardless if he gets back up and wins somehow or if he just stays down and the noumu bails. This is going to be a huge blow to society.

Seen it pointed out he got two nasty hits. Got a massive facial scar to match his son, and picked up a gut wound to match All Might.

In other words, he's getting the scars he caused, and the number one hero's scars he never knew about.

Fitting.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is a brilliant way to give the League of Villains another win. I've always thought Horikoshi made it really hard for himself by making the main villains as much of an up and coming force as the young heroes. They can't have too many harsh victories over the kids because they're kids, but having them gently caress up Overhaul and now Endeavor does a lot for their image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I guess you were all right to be worried that Horikoshi would humaneyes Endeavor

E: yeah I didn’t see the turnaround on all this happening this loving fast