Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
prey: battle royale, you jetpack onto the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pretty sure I've gotten stuck at that exact hatch. Access hatches can be glitchy sometimes.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure I've gotten stuck at that exact hatch. Access hatches can be glitchy sometimes.

I've gotten stuck so many times in this game. the most egregious was when I pushed one of the radiation canisters almost into one of the grav shafts and when I tried to go down it I would just get stuck on the radiation and inevitably die.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So im just about to wrap up my last two mooncrash objectives; a solid 5 run and the volunteers story. I just want to be sure im doing this last bit right; it says put the toy in the escape pod. Can i just launch it while im in it? Doni have to drop the toy and step out? Im blind and dont see any mission markers.

Edit: aw poo poo.
I figured that one out but there goes my 5 survivor run.

Tainted Ham fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 22, 2018

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Tainted Ham posted:

So im just about to wrap up my last two mooncrash objectives; a solid 5 run and the volunteers story. I just want to be sure im doing this last bit right; it says put the toy in the escape pod. Can i just launch it while im in it? Doni have to drop the toy and step out? Im blind and dont see any mission markers.

you gotta launch yourself with the toy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Digirat posted:

A Prey 2 kickstarter that starts promising until they switch to unreal 4 two years into the project, decide to do more than they scoped for after seeing the new engine’s capabilities, and scope creep all their kickstarter money away before putting the project on indefinite hiatus
Didn't the system shock remake guys decided to go back to their original plan? You know, the one people actually gave them money for?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
steam sales always remind me that good prey will never have more keys generated by its lazy rightsholder

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Were there any 0451 stuff in Mooncrash?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Digirat posted:

A Prey 2 kickstarter that starts promising until they switch to unreal 4 two years into the project, decide to do more than they scoped for after seeing the new engine’s capabilities, and scope creep all their kickstarter money away before putting the project on indefinite hiatus

For what it's worth, the project is back on track and it will be exactly what they pitched in the first place.

The stream will probably be prop hunt announcement, but more Prey is always welcome.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zereth posted:

Didn't the system shock remake guys decided to go back to their original plan? You know, the one people actually gave them money for?

Yes. They've been livestreaming development regularly, too. And they've been working on the source port in parallel; the beta is now available on Steam.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I played the whole game without sprint sliding at all after the first tutorial prompt.

Kontradaz posted:

Were there any 0451 stuff in Mooncrash?

Yes, of course.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is there any significance to the toy Operator in the protagonist's room named "March"?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I am getting owned by the Moonshark, who seems to perceive me even as I play floor is lava with the moon sand. My rear end is just roasted constantly by this dude

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I am getting owned by the Moonshark, who seems to perceive me even as I play floor is lava with the moon sand. My rear end is just roasted constantly by this dude

in awe at the size of this lad. absolute moon unit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the moon shark is a dick and if you have the upgraded jet pack you should just jump from roof to rocky outcropping to roof to avoid his unwanted advances.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
gibbing the shark with bhatia and the psyblade is definitely the most satisfying thing in the dlc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So to be clear, there’s no game of hopscotch you can play to fool the lad? Without EMP charges to kill the gates (or lures / tentacle nests) the main terrarium area is a deathtrap for me.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you get caught and you can't get away or fight just crouch and hold still, it won't be able to see you even if you're right next to it. Usually if you just sprint and use the air dash you can get away pretty easily though.

The air dash is one of my favorite additions in Mooncrash. Dashing straight into a Phantom's face and splattering it with the shotgun never gets old.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FWIW the Prey news today was, I think, that they’re releasing free cosmetic DLC for Mooncrash over the next few weeks? Today’s was a DOOM concept art skin for the operator. You do get the sense that they’re putting a push behind getting Mooncrash out there as a streamer-friendly game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also looked like Prey was on today’s top seller list due to summer sale discount so who knows, a gambit to sell the glitzier time trial DLC may just work.

Personally, much as I enjoy Mooncrash as a concept, I really miss the amount of immersive care put into the main game environments and the slow exploratory style of play it encouraged. Mooncrash is designed for different play and so are the environments - the moon base feels more like a team fortress level than a Transtar facility

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 23, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm already 25% through my objectives after 3 runs in this VR thing. This is going to be easy. Indentured servant my rear end.

Yeah, I can see the "your contract terms have been renegotiated" coming

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, they really upped the enemy variety for Moonstruck, too. Old enemies have new tricks, like poltergeists grabbing your gun from your hand. There's gloo grenades and gloo turrets (and laser turrets!).

If I kill the Moonshark as one character it makes it easier for the others, right? Because I'm thinking of taking him out with Turret Lady.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

So to be clear, there’s no game of hopscotch you can play to fool the lad? Without EMP charges to kill the gates (or lures / tentacle nests) the main terrarium area is a deathtrap for me.

Moonshark: if you jump from rock to rock it won't notice you, but you need the jetpack to do this reliably. If you step on the ground it'll immediately sense you and close in, and you'll be able to see the "alert" indicator appear above it no matter where you are in the crater, so that's your warning. Once that happens, if you get onto some rocks and crouch down it won't be able to sense you, or you can just run for the nearest building or rocky outcropping and then hide behind something until it gets bored.

Gates: the stungun will also disable gates temporarily, and there's an underground tunnel from the central tower to Pytheas Labs which will get you into the labs plus wherever the tram can get you. And generally even if the tram is totally busted you'll be able to find enough hardware in the Labs to either disable the other gates or just faceroll everything in the crater.

Speedball posted:

Man, they really upped the enemy variety for Moonstruck, too. Old enemies have new tricks, like poltergeists grabbing your gun from your hand. There's gloo grenades and gloo turrets (and laser turrets!).

If I kill the Moonshark as one character it makes it easier for the others, right? Because I'm thinking of taking him out with Turret Lady.

Like everything else, it stays dead until the corruption level increases, and then respawns.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The most reliable method for killing the moon shark is throwing a rock or something to provoke its ground attack (this while you’re on a rock and it hasn’t gone red on you) then toss a typhon spore near it so that the moon shark doesn’t immediately squash the tentacles and they rip it to shreds

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just bought the main game, and it feels like the game very much does not want me to use the Typhon mods. Alex is basically bullying me into doing it while laughing maniacally, and the good robot is telling me not to do it, and also having to fight all the turrets I encounter sounds like it sucks. But gently caress they seem useful and fun, am I gonna get locked into bad ending town if I install any of them, or is the only real consequence the turret thing?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just bought the main game, and it feels like the game very much does not want me to use the Typhon mods. Alex is basically bullying me into doing it while laughing maniacally, and the good robot is telling me not to do it, and also having to fight all the turrets I encounter sounds like it sucks. But gently caress they seem useful and fun, am I gonna get locked into bad ending town if I install any of them, or is the only real consequence the turret thing?

The only ending consequence is a minor dialogue tweak. Good/bad endings are determined by something else. Go to town!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The measure of humanity is not what you put into yourself, but what you do with it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Haha I had completed every other objective so I expected a victory lap with the Volunteer’s personal mission and kitted light.

That was, uh, not my finest hour

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished up a complete 5-person escape run... the game crashed as I uploaded my consciousness :stare:

Happily the autosave meant I could wrap things up again quickly, but that gave me a minor freakout. I assume Cryptomancer only happens if you complete the entire game/storyline and not just successfully finish an entire simulation run with more than 50,000 sim points?

Also yes, everybody was right: the game becomes pretty simple once you reverse engineer the hourglass.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Use the typhon mods, you will enjoy the game more.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The only thing required for maximum enjoyment is the super jump neuromod and that’s a human side power

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have no idea what this game is except you kill aliens and its a spiritual successor to a bunch games I havent played either.

But I really want to experience something fresh and unique on my summer vacation.

Last fps I played was Deus Ex: HR and I very much enjoyed it for its stealth gameplay and cyborg powers

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

I have no idea what this game is except you kill aliens and its a spiritual successor to a bunch games I havent played either.

But I really want to experience something fresh and unique on my summer vacation.

Last fps I played was Deus Ex: HR and I very much enjoyed it for its stealth gameplay and cyborg powers

It’s good op

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I think you will enjoy this game.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Not a great way to reach the maintenance tunnel:

https://giant.gfycat.com/GrayAllCony.webm

So far I'm enjoying the DLC a lot! The metaprogression (especially one thing others have mentioned, being able to make more hourglasses) seems to take out too much of the challenge for my taste, but considering the genre it makes sense. Immersive sims are all about player choice, including in matters of difficulty. Usually the mechanisms are just different (menu options, playstyle variations, self-imposed challenges).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It is interesting that the metaprogression lets you summon up something to carry your extra stuff, but what I want to know is, does the mule's inventory stay the same between player characters, I.e. can I stuff all my guns in the mule before I hop in an escape pod and let the next guy get one?

I got enough Typhon upgrades that the Volunteer started counting as a Typhon and I thought I was boned because of those forcefields that kick in to prevent typhon from going through, but then I unlocked his Burrow ability. And it turns out that Burrow also lets you get through those broken doors with metal bars on them. Niiiice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You can also taze the forcefields.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

You can also taze the forcefields.

I know you can use an EMP on the detector but last time I tried to use a Disruptor Gun on one it had no effect.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

It is interesting that the metaprogression lets you summon up something to carry your extra stuff, but what I want to know is, does the mule's inventory stay the same between player characters, I.e. can I stuff all my guns in the mule before I hop in an escape pod and let the next guy get one?

Yes it makes the game brokenly easy, if it wasn't easy enough with infinite timecubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

I know you can use an EMP on the detector but last time I tried to use a Disruptor Gun on one it had no effect.

You have to target the antenna / console