Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Another overnight drop. Is today the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Another overnight drop. Is today the day?

Crab17 continues.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Just can't hold it's value. Wonder how many times the miners can prop up the price to stay profitable before they run out steam.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Risc1911 posted:

Just can't hold it's value. Wonder how many times the miners can prop up the price to stay profitable before they run out steam.

A lot. Never underestimate how stupid people are when it comes to money. Never underestimate how far people will extend themselves in the hopes of getting rich quick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's under 6100. Someone post the roller coaster gif.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dump it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder if there is a point where it will seriously drop. Like, at 5k will confidence shatter and a ton of people get out? Or is it going to be this long slow drop into oblivion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We might crack 6000 lol

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Nice, but have you heard about my rear end?!

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Come onnnnn thread title!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just got off the phone with Bogdanoff,

DUMP IT

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Waltzing Along posted:

I wonder if there is a point where it will seriously drop. Like, at 5k will confidence shatter and a ton of people get out? Or is it going to be this long slow drop into oblivion.

It could drop to $0.50 and people would still be yelling "HODL" like loving idiots

I called bitcoin a scam on reddit and the only reply was a kid saying "people still calling bitcoin a scam in 2019 jesus christ" hahahahahahahaha

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

nickhimself posted:

I called bitcoin a scam on reddit and the only reply was a kid saying "people still calling bitcoin a scam in 2019 jesus christ" hahahahahahahaha

Wonderful.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought about it. Not a lot because lol bitcoin, but I think not. The butters have a point: the price for bitcoin should roughly be equal to the price for mining. Otherwise, it's sufficiency profitable to join.

Contrary to butters' belief, the price (as determined by difficulty) can also go down. This happens when bitcoin falls enough so mining is no longer profitable and difficulty is reduced.

The difficulty is reduced very slowly, though, which might put a limit on the speed the butt price can drop.

This time for course makes assumptions that are dubious even in real markets (rational actors, liquidity and the like).

to;dr: I don't think there will be a crash based on faith alone. The price will be walked down by the difficulty.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Waltzing Along posted:

Long slow drop. It'll probably never go to 0 because idiots true believers will keep trading it forever, waiting for it to be the currency commodity store of value currency of the future.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
sell sell sell!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

klafbang posted:

I thought about it. Not a lot because lol bitcoin, but I think not. The butters have a point: the price for bitcoin should roughly be equal to the price for mining. Otherwise, it's sufficiency profitable to join.

Contrary to butters' belief, the price (as determined by difficulty) can also go down. This happens when bitcoin falls enough so mining is no longer profitable and difficulty is reduced.

The difficulty is reduced very slowly, though, which might put a limit on the speed the butt price can drop.

This time for course makes assumptions that are dubious even in real markets (rational actors, liquidity and the like).

to;dr: I don't think there will be a crash based on faith alone. The price will be walked down by the difficulty.

There is more to it than that. At some point Japan and the US will do with Korea and China have done and that will blow the whole thing up.

Japan really seems inevitable. Even though they are actually using it there, it's just a matter of time before they realize just how environmentally destructive it is and they pull the plug. And the US will find some reason to get rid of it. Probably a combo of environment/scam/uselessness. Probably would be closer if the assholes on wall street didn't smell blood in the water.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

There is more to it than that. At some point Japan and the US will do with Korea and China have done and that will blow the whole thing up.

Japan really seems inevitable. Even though they are actually using it there, it's just a matter of time before they realize just how environmentally destructive it is and they pull the plug. And the US will find some reason to get rid of it. Probably a combo of environment/scam/uselessness. Probably would be closer if the assholes on wall street didn't smell blood in the water.

Korea has legalized it, Japan is in the process of regulating ICOs and China never actually banned it (they banned ICOs and trading because of the -thousands- of Chinese-focused scams, but as long as the miners aren't a threat to the social order they're happy enough to let them keep accumulating dollars.)

It's possible POW may wind up semi-globally banned someday but we're definitely talking decades and it would have to be a UN undertaking with every bit of the beyond glacial pace that comes with this.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i got your seed right here :pervert:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

nickhimself posted:

It could drop to $0.50 and people would still be yelling "HODL" like loving idiots

Agreed - current price is a red flag signaling BUY BUY BUY

It’s never gonna be as cheap as it is right now, ever again

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbpGmR1-QM

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Agreed - current price is a red flag signaling BUY BUY BUY

It’s never gonna be as cheap as it is right now, ever again

"never" as in next week, or maybe the week after?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Buy now or be priced out forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bitcoin is crashing!

Sell! Sell! Sell!

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Bitcoin is crashing!

Sell! Sell! Sell!

NO! You got it all wrong. **Buy the Dip!**

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yes fall fall fall. :getin:
Also China is cracking down on Bitcoin more and more specifically the miners due to the absurd power usage. Don't think that China is going to let them keep running at the ridiculous level they have been.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yes fall fall fall. :getin:
Also China is cracking down on Bitcoin more and more specifically the miners due to the absurd power usage. Don't think that China is going to let them keep running at the ridiculous level they have been.

I really hope they do it fast so we get the Frisbee On The Roof.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I really hope they do it fast so we get the Frisbee On The Roof.

?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Basically China shuts down all of their bitcoin poo poo over night, like in one sweeping movie, since so much hash power is located in china it grinds bitcoin to a halt immediately. Until the rest of the world can bring enough data centers and computational power online noone, absolutely noone will be able to mine a single loving bitcoin until they make up for all the hash power china had.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

LITERALLY SHITCOIN

https://swachhcoin.com/

Can't make this poo poo up... :negative:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Risc1911 posted:

LITERALLY SHITCOIN

https://swachhcoin.com/

Can't make this poo poo up... :negative:

You can’t beat crypto :hehe:

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Adar posted:

Korea has legalized it, Japan is in the process of regulating ICOs and China never actually banned it (they banned ICOs and trading because of the -thousands- of Chinese-focused scams, but as long as the miners aren't a threat to the social order they're happy enough to let them keep accumulating dollars.)

It's possible POW may wind up semi-globally banned someday but we're definitely talking decades and it would have to be a UN undertaking with every bit of the beyond glacial pace that comes with this.

If POW goes on another few decades that pace will be the only glacial thing left

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dead Like Rev posted:

Basically China shuts down all of their bitcoin poo poo over night, like in one sweeping movie, since so much hash power is located in china it grinds bitcoin to a halt immediately. Until the rest of the world can bring enough data centers and computational power online noone, absolutely noone will be able to mine a single loving bitcoin until they make up for all the hash power china had.

And no mining means no transactions get processed correct?

The morons will probably spin it as "Heh, well if nobody can sell than the price can't drop. Perfect store of value checkmate nocoiners" :smug:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

And no mining means no transactions get processed correct?

The morons will probably spin it as "Heh, well if nobody can sell than the price can't drop. Perfect store of value checkmate nocoiners" :smug:

Correct, it all stalls. You'd have to spin up a poo poo ton of computer power or asics to catch it all up. At least thats how I understand it. Also didn't someone in the thread just recently say china is running like 51% of the computation power on bitcoin right now? It would be hosed if they were shut down

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Dead Like Rev posted:

Correct, it all stalls. You'd have to spin up a poo poo ton of computer power or asics to catch it all up. At least thats how I understand it. Also didn't someone in the thread just recently say china is running like 51% of the computation power on bitcoin right now? It would be hosed if they were shut down

It's not really true. A single computer could handle the bitcoin network, all the extra computing power is basically just more entries in the lottery for the rewards.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andy Dufresne posted:

It's not really true. A single computer could handle the bitcoin network, all the extra computing power is basically just more entries in the lottery for the rewards.

Interesting, so why does it take forever to process a transaction?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1010225132982415360

Mark did nothing wrong

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Burt Sexual posted:

Interesting, so why does it take forever to process a transaction?
It's an arbitrary decision. Bitcoin uses 10 minute blocks but better designed coins (e.g. Dogecoin) use one minute blocks.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Andy Dufresne posted:

A single NES has the computing power to process everything, but bitcoin's proof of work requires that the difficulty in finding the right number of leading zeros has to increase with hash power put onto the network. And this difficulty only gets adjusted after so many blocks are processed. If the difficulty is sufficiently high and enough miners drop out, there won't be enough computing power to work through the necessary blocks to get the difficulty down to the level of computing power actually on the network. It is completely arbitrary and unnecessary to the core function of processing transactions through; but it is required to solve (not actually solve) the byzantine general problem that arises from having decentralized transaction processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
A single computer will eventually find the right answer allowing that block to complete, and, after enough time, the difficulty will adjust such that the single computer will complete a block in about 10 minutes.

It's true that going from millions of computers to a single computer would slow the network to a crawl, but if we hadn't ever had millions of computers online it wouldn't be a problem.

My point of course is that transaction volume has nothing to do with how much processing power required to run the network.