Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think the game over thing on old games is a dumb thing to complain about. They have game overs because they were designed to be played as an arcade game. That's the style of game they are.
The lives and game overs did become a standard part of game design though, even for games that weren't designed for arcades. Like, Wolfenstein 3D has lives - even though it also allows you to save anywhere which makes lives completely irrelevant. Points too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

The lives and game overs did become a standard part of game design though, even for games that weren't designed for arcades. Like, Wolfenstein 3D has lives - even though it also allows you to save anywhere which makes lives completely irrelevant. Points too.

I meant the style, regardless of whether they were actually arcade games. To me taking away game overs from old games to "fix them" is like taking away points in games like the first super mario. With old games they are often very simple so you kind of need something extra like seeing your points numbers go higher and/or introduce extra difficulty with game overs/lives.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

There was an Aliens game a few years ago. When you died the game over screen quoted the "Game over, man. Game over!" from Hudson. That owned.

You talking about Alien 3 on the SNES? That game was insanely good

although as a young pedant it bothered me that they used that sound clip when Hudson wasn't even in the source material; I used to be such a stick in the mud

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Old games should be preserved exactly as they were initially released. Same goes for movies, books, or any other kind of media. If you want to do an enhanced re-release or whatever you should have to include the original one unaltered.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trying to find a regular version of Star Wars is drat near impossible. I don't want all that stupid CGI poo poo on my screen when I watch it. Or Hayden Christensen as ghost dad at the end. Why wouldn't Obi Wan be young too? The gently caress is happening?! These magic space movies aren't making any sense!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harmy's Despecialized Version is pretty good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The most noteworthy example in my opinion of the book version of "leave the original alone" is the revised version of The Gunslinger, the first book in The Dark Tower series. The original was good, it didn't need all the too-convenient foreshadowing shoehorned in, and going back and changing the parts the later novels made inconsistent just drew more attention to them. Authors shouldn't get do-overs.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, I mean what I said. No more Game Overs. When you die, you go back to the last checkpoint. You're right, most modern games have completely dropped the classic Game Over, because it's bad. But I bought the Megaman collection earlier today, and they left all the game overs in. What's the point of re-releasing old games if you aren't going to fix them?

You know that you can hit the left bumper and rewind the game at any point, right? There's theoretically no reason for you to ever lose even a life in that game, technically.

Also, you'd have (more of) a point if it was a remake, but this was clearly intended to be an (at least somewhat) accurate rerelease.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The most noteworthy example in my opinion of the book version of "leave the original alone" is the revised version of The Gunslinger, the first book in The Dark Tower series. The original was good, it didn't need all the too-convenient foreshadowing shoehorned in, and going back and changing the parts the later novels made inconsistent just drew more attention to them. Authors shouldn't get do-overs.

I'm glad I own the original versions of these in case I ever get the urge to reread the entire series (probably not, I don't think I have another round of Song of Susannah in me).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm glad I own the original versions of these in case I ever get the urge to reread the entire series (probably not, I don't think I have another round of Song of Susannah in me).

As far as I know the other ones are untouched. The revised first one just adds in some lame references to stuff later on like the taheen, algul siento, etc that seem really out of place, and parts of the battle in tull are changed I think to make Roland seem more sympathetic. It's still readable and I did read and enjoy the revised version first but I'd have rather have only read the original because the changes don't add anything.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
King getting run over by that car really hosed things up with the later books. Guess the Crimson King won in the end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

King getting run over by that car really hosed things up with the later books. Guess the Crimson King won in the end.

I didn't mind his self-insert that much at first until that part, where they had to go and save his useless rear end at the cost of actually good characters. I always lol when I get to the part where Eddie claims Roland and King look alike, despite it being established at some other point that Roland looks like Clint Eastwood. Like has he looked in a mirror, ever?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The space force is dumb as gently caress.

But the space force is rad as hell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
American movies should do the things Chinese movies do where they always play comedy music whenever a fat person is onscreen

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their idea of the height of comedy is a dude dressed up as a woman with make up

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's England too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait I mixed that up. The Chinese think it's hilarious when a woman has a mustache.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

Old games should be preserved exactly as they were initially released. Same goes for movies, books, or any other kind of media. If you want to do an enhanced re-release or whatever you should have to include the original one unaltered.

Remasters would be fine if they weren't mostly cobbled together cheap cash grabs. Like if all they do is fix the flaws of the original than cool. Like a slightly enhanced final fantasy 6 that fixed stuff like the relm bug that ravages your saves that'd be great. Updated graphics can be fine but sometimes it loses the charm of the original or is made bland and generic. Though the worst is when the budget is mostly graphics and the new version is bugger than the original or harder to play.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait I mixed that up. The Chinese think it's hilarious when a woman has a mustache.

Hahaha! I'm not even Chinese and I can appreciate that! A mustache?! Now that's a good one. Can you imagine? Ha!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is just based on watching Stephen Chow movies. I'm sure he doesn't represent all of China.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

American movies should do the things Chinese movies do where they always play comedy music whenever a fat person is onscreen

I need to see a clip of this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
America produces the worst comedy movies

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

True but they also produce the best

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm imagining the shawshank redemption where Hadley beats that fat prisoner to death and its magnificent

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having been challenged on the issue recently, I don't think I have any personal "heroes", but to be honest, I don't think I'm especially wrong not to.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Having been challenged on the issue recently, I don't think I have any personal "heroes", but to be honest, I don't think I'm especially wrong not to.

You look up to yourself, and you're the best hero of them all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Flan is gross

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Wheat Loaf posted:

My main hero is Charles Bukowski, the poet not the poster. Also partial to Rose Namajunas.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess it depends on how you define a "hero". There are lots of people I look up to and admire a lot, but hero seems pretty overblown.

also I agree about flan...it doesn't taste terrible to me or anything, but it just looks like someone slapped some fungusy disc like kombucha into a pool of coffee or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose one can acknowledge and appreciate the deeds and acts of another person but it's often difficult for me to hold the person themselves in much esteem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose one can acknowledge and appreciate the deeds and acts of another person but it's often difficult for me to hold the person themselves in much esteem.
What's the difference between admiring a person and admiring the things they do? Don't the things we do define us?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Godzilla is my hero

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

Godzilla is my hero

Gamera is my kin so we are now in a blood vendetta!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Psh, it'd be like any other meeting of superheros, they'd fight for a little bit, realize they're not enemies, and team up against a larger foe.

Which I guess would be a King Ghidorah/Gyaos team up. Hang on, I gotta fire up Microsoft Word. Somethings happening here.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Destoroyah was the biggest bad.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Primer is a boring movie and it sucks. I don't care if the physics are perfect or whatever, whenever I watch a movie I don't want to consult diagrams and charts to understand it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Primer is a boring movie and it sucks. I don't care if the physics are perfect or whatever, whenever I watch a movie I don't want to consult diagrams and charts to understand it.

Whenever I hear people praising a movie for how "accurate"/realistic it is with respect to physics or anything really I know it's almost definitely going to be lame (see also: interstellar). Reality can be interesting but it's not what I watch movies for, if I want that I'll watch a documentary.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Whenever I hear people praising a movie for how "accurate"/realistic it is with respect to physics or anything really I know it's almost definitely going to be lame (see also: interstellar). Reality can be interesting but it's not what I watch movies for, if I want that I'll watch a documentary.

I've had some people try to get me to like certain video games for the same reason. I don't care if it's "realistic", I want it to be fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What's the difference between admiring a person and admiring the things they do? Don't the things we do define us?

I don't know. It's the milkshake duck thing, isn't it?

The advantage of not really rating other people highly is that they can never disappoint you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chernabog posted:

If you consult charts or worry about precisely who is where while watching Primer, you're doing it wrong. The point is what happens to the characters. The whole thing is about the audience being along for the ride with the characters, who rarely know more than you. During the third act, which everybody says is so confusing, that's the point. Things have gotten exponentially more complicated, the characters are just barely able to even effect the situation anymore, they barely have a grasp on what's going on. You don't need to know precisely how many people are where and when, and if you try to you're actively decreasing your own ability to enjoy the movie.

edit:I think it's real shame how people talk about Primer. They talk about it like it's some big sci-fi puzzle that needs to be put together, and make 20 minute long Youtube videos called "Primer EXPLAINED" while completely ignoring the whole point of the movie. It's about the characters. It's about two guys who discover a power that they are unprepared for, and it spirals out of control. "Man's reach exceeds his grasp" writ large

The trailer that the director made for the movie actually explains what the movie is about really clearly, without touching the plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfOCp6cW7rQ

Guy Goodbody has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jun 22, 2018