Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Wouldn't mind having a mounted OCS board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The P500 for unconditional surrender’s mounted boards was $28 for 2 17”x34” maps. This has 2 17”x22” maps and is $33. Even with the 3” box, :psyduck: I was thinking this had some gigantic maps.

I saw some grognards asking for a comparison of Cataclysm to Triumph and Tragedy. There weren’t many responses yet since the game is new, but seeing how T&T is one of my favorite games, if you guys do have comparisons, I’d like to read them.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So i bought South Pacific (the short 1 scenario version of EOTS) which came in CSI #30 and I think I will try to set it up tonight and try wo wrap my head around it.

Any common pitfalls or other things to be aware of?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Selecta84 posted:

So i bought South Pacific (the short 1 scenario version of EOTS) which came in CSI #30 and I think I will try to set it up tonight and try wo wrap my head around it.

Any common pitfalls or other things to be aware of?

Just don't forget to wash that man out of your hair.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Just don't forget to wash that man out of your hair.

Duly noted.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

COOL CORN posted:

I don't own any ASL gear :colbert:

:eyepop: you got rid of all your ASL stuff? Or am I thinking of a different goon...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

COOL CORN is a constant carousel of incoming and outgoing games, who the hell knows what COOL CORN actually owns.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does COOL CORN own games or do games own COOL CORN?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

:eyepop: you got rid of all your ASL stuff? Or am I thinking of a different goon...

Like two years ago, yeah. I never played a single f2f game with my own gear and it’s a mediocre solo game. Honestly I kinda prefer Lock N Load tactical now they have their new v5.0 rules that are super in depth.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Like two years ago, yeah. I never played a single f2f game with my own gear and it’s a mediocre solo game. Honestly I kinda prefer Lock N Load tactical now they have their new v5.0 rules that are super in depth.

Wait, is that the Heroes of Normandie stuff? :barf:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, is that the Heroes of Normandie stuff? :barf:

No, that's Devil Pig Games, but those games aren't bad for super light grog fare.

edit-- Heroes of Normandie (not good)

Heroes of Normandy (good)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 19, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

you can tell because the good one has hexes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

you can tell because the good one has hexes

This guy gets it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
cc:e has hexes toooo

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Heroes of Normandie is a lot of fun. You guys hate fun. Fun-haters.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Heroes of Normandie is a lot of fun. You guys hate fun. Fun-haters.

There are people who don't? :confused:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I liked fun I wouldn't play wargames.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Serious question: what (if anything) does Heroes of Normandy do better than Conflict of Heroes?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

Serious question: what (if anything) does Heroes of Normandy do better than Conflict of Heroes?

Eh, it feels very similar, but the LNL Tactical system is more fleshed out, so I'd prefer to buy into it (if/when I do). Also it models a lot more specific things akin to ASL than CoH does (things like smoke, satchel charges, more detailed AFV use, etc.)

LNL Tactical has... Normandy, Eastern Front, Pacific, France, North Africa, Falklands, Vietnam, uhhh Mogadishu, separate campaign modules for each of those, uhhh... there's a lot, and more planned.

Anyway, I started playing Next War: India-Pakistan tonight, and the system is very very good. I used to have NW: Taiwan, but lost steam while trying to learn the naval/sea movement stuff. NW:IP has nothing but ground/air, so it's way easier to digest.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

COOL CORN posted:

Like two years ago, yeah.

:eyepop:

but did you delete the spreadsheet?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Anyway, I started playing Next War: India-Pakistan tonight, and the system is very very good. I used to have NW: Taiwan, but lost steam while trying to learn the naval/sea movement stuff. NW:IP has nothing but ground/air, so it's way easier to digest.

Which scenario? The only one I haven't tried is Loose Nukes because all that potential clearing puts me off.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

:eyepop:

but did you delete the spreadsheet?

No fuckin way! I scanned every scenario I ever got and still have the spreadsheet, so I can still play on VASL

Sleekly posted:

Which scenario? The only one I haven't tried is Loose Nukes because all that potential clearing puts me off.

Just the Kashmir scenario so far. It’s really simple but the high mountains make it tactically interesting. I’ll probably play them all in order.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The SOP in Next War is buckwild.

Initiative player moves
Initiative player attacks
Player 2 moves elite units not in a ZOC
Initiative player moves units not in a ZOC
Initiative player attacks again with a -2 column shift
Player 2 moves
Player 2 attacks
Initiative player moves
Initiative player attacks
Player 2 moves
Player 2 attacks

TURN ENDS

I’m just working through the basic rules right now but :psyduck: that's a hell of a lot for one basic turn, not even counting administrative parts of the SOP.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 20, 2018

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

COOL CORN posted:

I’m just working through the basic rules right now but :psyduck: that's a hell of a lot for one basic turn, not even counting administrative parts of the SOP.

Every time someone says they have an easier time learning Next War over OCS it makes me :psyduck: Not to throw shade on Next War, but drat it has a lot of procedure.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I think the rules presentation is the key. The order things are introduced felt sort of natural whereas with OCS, even with the rules right there I still find it pretty opaque.

It is very procedural though. That makes a lot more sense in the advanced scenarios though what with all the strike phases and airpower toys you have there.

I found the standard scenarios good for a couple of turns but all that process does bung up what comes to more or less panzer pushing on a hex grid. Advanced is where the game really sings, all that procedure clicks into place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Here let me show you my SOPs:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I tried recording a thing about Cataclysm, kind of a fun thing to do and I'm sure it will get views in the double digits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBAPyjMfz-k

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 21, 2018

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I've been kinda wanting to pick up a tactical game system that covers lots of ground but isn't as absurd as ASL. What do you like about LnL Tactical, COOL CORN? Is the solo system worthwhile?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SavageMessiah posted:

I've been kinda wanting to pick up a tactical game system that covers lots of ground but isn't as absurd as ASL. What do you like about LnL Tactical, COOL CORN? Is the solo system worthwhile?

First off, here's a post I wrote a couple years ago about different tactical systems:

COOL CORN posted:

As the resident "guy who has tried or at least has read the rules for every tactical system", I guess I'll weigh in on my opinions.

ASL - if you have the time to consume the rules, the money to buy the modules, and MOST IMPORTANTLY someone to play with, you really can't beat ASL. There's a reason that the system still has a fervent and worldwide following 30 years later, with tournaments literally all over the world every year, and modules selling out within days. It will model any WW2 conflict you throw at it, and model it incredibly well with a great narrative. BUT - if you don't have an experienced person to play with, you're 100% definitely going to mess up a bunch of the rules, and with so much hidden / concealed information, it takes a bit of a stretch of the imagination to enjoy it solo. I did an LP thread for a little while about ASL you can check out, but since it's kinda boring solo, I lost steam a few turns in.

ASL Red Barricades historical module:

Panzer Grenadier - I'm still sort of working through my feelings on PG since it's the latest that I've actually played. There is a 100% free module you can buy (just pay shipping) that includes one map, and all the counters you need to play one scenario. The system is basically as light as you can get. You can move a piece, you can fire with a piece, and there are three types of firing: direct, bombardment, and anti-tank. That's... basically the whole system in a nutshell. But I will hand it to Avalanche Press, they have a ton of modules. I picked up Elsenborn Ridge, which is often recommended as the "starter" module, and have still yet to finish the first scenario because it's kinda boring.

Not sure of the PG module, but shows off how damned sparse the maps are.

Conflict of Heroes - really cool system, even for its simplicity. Just like PG (and unlike ASL), it's an impulse driven game. So, instead of one side moving all their pieces, and then the other side moving all their pieces, each side moves (basically) one piece at a time. The maps are beautiful, and unit facing is something I really enjoy (nothing like sneaking up behind a tank). Also, there's a solo module out now that I've heard wonderful things about. I haven't played it myself, but there are reviews on Youtube that explain how it works. There's a PC port I haven't tried also.

From COH "Awakening the Bear" - really crisp counters!

Band of Brothers - very similar in a lot of ways to CoH, but with a little ASL peppered in. There's unit concealment and some hidden information in BoB, so I never tried it myself, but you can find it pretty cheap and the people that like it REALLY like it.

From BOB "Screaming Eagles"

Heroes of Normandie - if you like cartoons and badly-translated French rulebooks, this one's for you! The art style I actually really enjoy, and having double-wide counters for AFVs is kinda neat. There's also a PC port of this that's $29.99 on Steam, which you could play for an hour or two and then get a refund if you want to try it out. There is a good amount of hidden information - you have a set number of "activations" per turn, and there's always one or two "decoy" activation tokens, so your opponent doesn't totally know what you're going to do. A ton of expansions too.

From the HON PC port, but it looks identical to the board game

Lock N Load Tactical - this is my current darling. I wrote a post about it not long ago, but it seems like the best of all worlds to me. Good art, good mechanics, good narrative, solo friendly. It checks all the boxes for me. Check the post above for more info. Note - there are TWO totally free packs you can get from LNL. There's a WW2 Tactical free pack (uses a Normandy scenario - map, counters, scenario card, rules), and also a Modern free pack (uses a Vietnam scenario)

From "Heroes of the Pacific" - god drat look how clean and slick this poo poo looks mmmm

For me it was sort of a goldilocks situation. ASL is too complex. CoH and OST are too light. But LnLT is just right. (Panzer Grenadier is just garbage) it's been a long time since I played it, but I like the impulse system where each player goes back and forth activating a unit, until all are used up. CoH and OST do that too, but LnLT models more chrome than the others, while still keeping the base game light. Lots of goodies like AFV types, support weapons, aircraft, artillery, etc.

edit-- I haven't tried the LnLT solo module, but they basically copied CoH's, which I know is really well reviewed.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 22, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Combat Commander is the light.

Also Cataclysm news:

Managed to get another turn in of our cataclysm yesterday. There’s two more left and things are looking very grim. The US and UK failed an alliance roll at the beginning of the turn and it shaped the war- the UK actually briefly took over most of Germany but lost two fighters and two armies doing it, though the German air force got attrited quite heavily by me. A communist coup got me Denmark and i decided to put an army there to try to invade Germany but it didn’t work out and he got me(also after I put my fighters in Mongolia to threaten the Japanese presence in China).

The Axis are in a good situation but a lot of things can happen in two years. US is at very low stability but I think they really have to try the alliance again to keep this game close.

A lot of crazy stuff happened- the initial surprise attack on the USSR gleaned… Romania and never entered Soviet territory. Tank armies are super important.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The more I look at Cataclysm, the more it looks anachronistic in a bad way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

The more I look at Cataclysm, the more it looks anachronistic in a bad way.

It's hella random, but look at it on the bright side, you only roll max 3 dice at a time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m curious about the space Cataclysm occupies because T&T does its thing well enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
LNLT v5.0 rules are up for free download now, if anyone wants to check it out.
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactical-core-rules.253/

Or you can pay $50 for a printed copy of the rules :psyduck:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

I’m curious about the space Cataclysm occupies because T&T does its thing well enough.

IMO cataclysm is way more open than T&T. It's just straight up better than T&T, though a bit more random.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

LNLT v5.0 rules are up for free download now, if anyone wants to check it out.
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactical-core-rules.253/

Or you can pay $50 for a printed copy of the rules :psyduck:

Is the SoP in the back actually the full SoP? Seems like there's a lot missing. I don't know, a quick skim of the rulebook makes it seem like its actually pretty detailed... I have a local friend IRL who I'm going to try ASL with and if he bounces off it and hates it, I may try something like this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Is the SoP in the back actually the full SoP? Seems like there's a lot missing. I don't know, a quick skim of the rulebook makes it seem like its actually pretty detailed... I have a local friend IRL who I'm going to try ASL with and if he bounces off it and hates it, I may try something like this.

It's laid out weird across multiple pages, but it's correct...

-- Rally Phase
1) Initiative
2) Rally attempts
3) Self Rally attempts
4) Medic attempts
5) Support Weapon pickups
-- Operations Phase (alternate activating units)
-- Administrative Phase (remove markers, flip smoke/starshells/etc)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

It's laid out weird across multiple pages, but it's correct...

-- Rally Phase
1) Initiative
2) Rally attempts
3) Self Rally attempts
4) Medic attempts
5) Support Weapon pickups
-- Operations Phase (alternate activating units)
-- Administrative Phase (remove markers, flip smoke/starshells/etc)

I guess what I'm looking for is something like the full-blown SoP like ASL's Advanced SoP.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Love the art on the LnL cover so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Athaboros posted:

Love the art on the LnL cover so much.

THE FIGHTING AMERICAN SUPER-MAN