Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It doesn't even own him, though? Like, I can't trademark something you are saying to stop you from saying it. That's obvious, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It is apparently not obvious.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Last Jedi was real bad dude

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah the trademark thing just ... doesn't do anything except bring the centre of attention over from creatively reclaiming the hashtag, back to making zweihanderdude the centre of attention.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

The Last Jedi was real bad dude

Who cares?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The Zweihander dude is buddies with Zak so ofc he'd try to capitalise on progressive posturing for personal profit.

(the joke is that that is extremely Zak's thing)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not so long ago Zak's Erotic Actors What Do Table-Top Games Twitter crowed about because of Satine Phoenix WotC was more inclusive hiring wise than anybody else ever. No doubt his righteous condemnation of #DnDGate is forthcoming. ::allears::

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

In other news, after about 5 years or so, the Mekton Zero kickstarter is refunding anyone who didn't happen to take their original buy-out offer back in 2015. Considering the rumors of using the kickstarter money to get the Witcher license, and that there's that Cyberpunk 2077 video game (based off the CP2020 system) supposedly coming out by June 2019, it seems R. Talsorian decided to cut its losses rather than drag CDProjektRed down with them. There were stories from some backers that the game was being written on "a 1995 version of Quark Express on an ancient Mac...[Pondsmith] was so stubborn that he refused to even consider upgrading for several months. Severnal of his former employees volunteered to migrate the text into modern sofware, but he refused to let it go." Another one said "Early in the project R. Talsorian was using software so massively out of date that they had to upgrade all of their software using the kickstarter funds and rebuild the documents for the project."

At least it's not as bad as Robotech Tactics.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Maybe CD Project Red said to Mike "Here, have a bag of change from our petty cash drawer - go refund your backers so we don't have a controversy when CP2077 is released." $50 grand isn't nothing, mind, but on the scale of videogame development budgets it's a small price to pay to avoid a PR quagmire (especially since the refunds due now probably amount to substantially less than that due to people accepting the buyout offer earlier).

EDIT: Oh, and apparently anyone who stuck with the Mekton Kickstarter to this point will get their promised rewards anyway if/when Mekton Zero finally releases. Which further makes me think that Mike got a big payday from CDPR and has stashed the money aside to cover that.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 26, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I do have to say that some of the things that get honed in on as "oh this is why this Kickstarter failed/is bad/etc" really miss the point. That's not to say Mekton Zero wasn't a project that got mismanaged and that dumb things were done with it, and being as out of date with software as they were is a disaster.

But honestly I don't have a problem with using Kickstarter funds to upgrade software as a general concept. Yes, it's useful for long after the specific project is done, but it's still a prerequisite for that project and part of the cost of being able to do it.

The "used this money to get this other license" is another one I don't really countenance often. It implies a level of 1:1 accounting that just isn't how building anything works. There have been a couple cases of bait and switch campaigns where the company never intended to work on the thing they Kickstarted, sure, but besides being rare they also are pretty obvious.

Basically I find that the discussion around failed Kickstarters tends to point out certain things as "problems" that aren't why the project failed and really shouldn't be treated as poor practices, because doing so only hurts creators acting in good faith.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Aniodia posted:

In other news, after about 5 years or so, the Mekton Zero kickstarter is refunding anyone who didn't happen to take their original buy-out offer back in 2015. Considering the rumors of using the kickstarter money to get the Witcher license, and that there's that Cyberpunk 2077 video game (based off the CP2020 system) supposedly coming out by June 2019, it seems R. Talsorian decided to cut its losses rather than drag CDProjektRed down with them. There were stories from some backers that the game was being written on "a 1995 version of Quark Express on an ancient Mac...[Pondsmith] was so stubborn that he refused to even consider upgrading for several months. Severnal of his former employees volunteered to migrate the text into modern sofware, but he refused to let it go." Another one said "Early in the project R. Talsorian was using software so massively out of date that they had to upgrade all of their software using the kickstarter funds and rebuild the documents for the project."

At least it's not as bad as Robotech Tactics.

''Migrate the text'' meaning...copy-pasting it into a Word document? Very cyberpunk.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ravenkult posted:

''Migrate the text'' meaning...copy-pasting it into a Word document? Very cyberpunk.

When making a manuscript like that, there is also formatting, bookmarks, indexes, table of contents, etc. that a simple copy+paste will do nothing but muck up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I share your doubts, since QuarkExpress still exists; once they get it to a modern version, they can export to something Word (and therefore world) can read. The issue with old-but-functioning computers is getting the data off them -- might have just a 3.5" drive and a dialup modem. No USB, no ethernet.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Either he was just writing in Quark (for some bizarre reason) in which case they can copy/paste, or he was doing layout stuff with it in which case...just use Quark. Plenty of people still do.

Kibner posted:

When making a manuscript like that, there is also formatting, bookmarks, indexes, table of contents, etc. that a simple copy+paste will do nothing but muck up.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

At least Mike is trying to do right by his backers - just look into any number of failed video game Kickstarters that amassed $50k+ where backers are getting approximately zip in terms of refunds or communications from companies that mysteriously vanish into the wind.

Trad Game Kickstarters have actually been a fair bit better to me in terms of actually delivering something and communicating delays, whereas Video Game Kickstarters (no matter how slickly produced the campaign video is) are now much more likely to do jack squat.

That being said, my Trad Games Kickstarter portfolio does not include Far West (like others' do).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

At least Mike is trying to do right by his backers - just look into any number of failed video game Kickstarters that amassed $50k+ where backers are getting approximately zip in terms of refunds or communications from companies that mysteriously vanish into the wind.

Trad Game Kickstarters have actually been a fair bit better to me in terms of actually delivering something and communicating delays, whereas Video Game Kickstarters (no matter how slickly produced the campaign video is) are now much more likely to do jack squat.

That being said, my Trad Games Kickstarter portfolio does not include Far West (like others' do).

Honestly a Kickstarter that fails but manages to deliver refunds to backers is, at worst, a mild disappointment.

e; I mean actually delivering refunds, not "says will deliver refunds, does it for about 10% of anyone who raises a fuss, then vanishes from the internet."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Spending the money in good faith and failing to make the project does not seem like an unreasonable outcome for a kickstarter. I mean, the scam part is that you don't get any equity in the project you've "invested" in and it's actually far worse in successful profitable kickstarter ventures than ones that fail in good faith and wouldn't have produced returns anyway.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, I figured I'd mention the whole refund deal in here in case anyone had backed M0 and tuned out, because it has been 5 years since the original KS ended. At least he's still going to try and finish everything for the backers, whether they take the refund or not. While it's still kinda lovely that he's taken 5 years and there's nothing, at least he's trying not to be a shitlord and just take people's money and running, or worse.

Kibner posted:

From what I'd heard, this is exactly what had happened with the original manuscript. Everything was going fine, until it came time to get everything into a format their people who'd be printing this out could read (as apparently the printer didn't have Quark), and it all turned to poo poo.

LuiCypher posted:

When people make a website showing off all your failed deadlines and promises...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay but is Mekton Zeta any good or is it as awfully 80s/90s as it looks?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I wouldn't play it these days myself, but I wouldn't say no to a sensibly updated iteration of it either.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Isn't Mekton Zeta the lego robot wargame?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

Isn't Mekton Zeta the lego robot wargame?

No, it was originally (back in it development) called Mechaton, but was renamed Mobile Frame Zero upon final release.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In my head I like to pretend that D Vincent Baker was slightly chafing at being "the influential storygame guy" so he co-wrote a lego mecha wargame just to say he did.

Then he wrote a GMless storygame RPG in the setting for it anyway.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

bewilderment posted:

In my head I like to pretend that D Vincent Baker was slightly chafing at being "the influential storygame guy" so he co-wrote a lego mecha wargame just to say he did.

Sometimes a man just enjoys a big stompy robot.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

S.J. posted:

It was the Loyal Opposition to Battletech in the 1980s, and it concentrated much more on hewing close to its original anime source materials than Battletech (with its Mad Max-ish setting and its concentration on things like heat management). All my anime nerd friends far preferred it to BT (I think the default setting was Gundam-with-the-numbers-filed-off, which also appealed to them).

The system and presentation is very 1980s, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty much. If you wanted a general mecha game that was relatively true to mecha shows in the '80s and '90s, Mekton was your only option at the time. Battletech didn't do it, Robotech didn't do it. Eventually you'd have Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles, but those were very specific interpretations of different anime (Armored Trooper Votoms and Gundam Universal Century, respectively). Ironically, R. Talsorian would do an Armored Trooper Votoms game that game out around the same time Heavy Gear was still being published, so you had your choice of hard mil-fi mecha at the time.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Jonny Hodgson's leaving Cubicle 7 as of September. Given his art direction and overall management on The One Ring really defined the look and feel, not to mention his involvement in getting Adventures of Middle Earth to happen, I think this is a big loss for C7, and one they'll struggle to replace.

With WFRP sales being huge, they've got a nice cushion there, though it's decidedly late and based on that and where it seems to be at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised not to see any supplements for it out until next year (in hardback at least).

On the plus side he now seems to have a very nice patreon making low fantasy maps: https://www.patreon.com/jonhodgsonmaps

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PST posted:

Jonny Hodgson's leaving Cubicle 7 as of September. Given his art direction and overall management on The One Ring really defined the look and feel, not to mention his involvement in getting Adventures of Middle Earth to happen, I think this is a big loss for C7, and one they'll struggle to replace.

drat, that's a huge loss. TOR will remain one of the best systems ever written, but Hodgson's art is incredible and a huge contribution to the books. :(

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Mekton Zeta relaunch also included a system revamp/update but it's been a while since they talked any specifics and I can't really remember what was suggested. I know it seemed relatively crunchy to me but that is what a lot of mech-related players would want.

He's posted another update since explaining that they have to do some kind of bulk process with Paypal to get refunds out, and that is to avoid at least the customer (but realistically also R Tal) being charged fees. I'm okay with that and I appreciate the good faith effort at least. I wish they'd handled this project better--I know there were other things going on, and maybe Pondsmith was just overcome with enthusiasm and/or wanted to get on this brand new (at the time) Kickstarter train to do a pet project that blew up bigger than planned and required a lot more commitment than anticipated. I'm not expecting any eventual release but I'm not really mad about it either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty much. If you wanted a general mecha game that was relatively true to mecha shows in the '80s and '90s, Mekton was your only option at the time. Battletech didn't do it, Robotech didn't do it. Eventually you'd have Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles, but those were very specific interpretations of different anime (Armored Trooper Votoms and Gundam Universal Century, respectively). Ironically, R. Talsorian would do an Armored Trooper Votoms game that game out around the same time Heavy Gear was still being published, so you had your choice of hard mil-fi mecha at the time.

There was also a weird semi-wargame/semi-RPG called Mecha which had a MesoAmerican themed vibe with Jaguar Warriors.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There was also a weird semi-wargame/semi-RPG called Mecha which had a MesoAmerican themed vibe with Jaguar Warriors.

I remember trying to get a copy of this off eBay and getting stiffed by the seller, that's my Mecha! (with an exclamation point I believe) story.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chris Spivey, author of the Diana Jones nominated Harlem Unbound, has put out an open call for a new science fiction line he's putting out with Chaosium. Not a lot of details, but I love his focus on creating a diverse setting.

https://twitter.com/Darker_Hue/status/1013154114484822016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Artist/writer of diversity seems like a really clumsy phrase that's going to result in all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork, though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Loomer posted:

Artist/writer of diversity seems like a really clumsy phrase that's going to result in all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork, though.

gently caress'em.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it pisses off Tarnowski and Jimmy D, God bless.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

bewilderment posted:

For anyone wondering about the actual backstory there, Vincent hints at it in the dedications of the 2006 Mechaton rulebook. It seems to have been a thing he, one of his sons, and his brother whipped up during a family get-together on Labor Day 2002 to play with the family (Meguey, another son, and Vincent's sister are mentioned as "indulging them" in that instance). Later, Joshua A.C. Newman of Shock: Social Science Fiction fame persuaded him to make it into a full-blown thing and became his creative partner, with the whole Baker clan and Joshua's wife as playtesters: one of their kids, I believe Vincent's younger son, was apparently murderously good at the MFZ version of the game at age 11.

Later, Joshua (with Vincent's blessings) did the Kickstarter to turn Mechaton into Mobile Frame Zero.

Then Vincent wrote a GMless storygame RPG in that setting because the man literally cannot help himself.

Edit: Also, Mobile Frame Zero is Creative Commons and freely available, so if any of you like the sound of a LEGO mecha wargame with campaign play, here you go.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 1, 2018

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kestral posted:

For anyone wondering about the actual backstory there, Vincent hints at it in the dedications of the 2006 Mechaton rulebook. It seems to have been a thing he, one of his sons, and his brother whipped up during a family get-together on Labor Day 2002 to play with the family (Meguey, another son, and Vincent's sister are mentioned as "indulging them" in that instance). Later, Joshua A.C. Newman of Shock: Social Science Fiction fame persuaded him to make it into a full-blown thing and became his creative partner, with the whole Baker clan and Joshua's wife as playtesters: one of their kids, I believe Vincent's younger son, was apparently murderously good at the MFZ version of the game at age 11.

Later, Joshua (with Vincent's blessings) did the Kickstarter to turn Mechaton into Mobile Frame Zero.

Then Vincent wrote a GMless storygame RPG in that setting because the man literally cannot help himself.

Edit: Also, Mobile Frame Zero is Creative Commons and freely available, so if any of you like the sound of a LEGO mecha wargame with campaign play, here you go.

And then that same son made a vehicle-based mad max-themed version of MF0, and they're kickstarting it soon as Tiny and Chrome.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I imagine Vincent Baker has a copy of the DMG, except the word "Dungeon Master" is scribbled out so hard it's gone through to the cardboard of the cover, the Lich has X's drawn over it's eyes and a bunch of daggers drawn into it's back.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Flavivirus posted:

And then that same son made a vehicle-based mad max-themed version of MF0, and they're kickstarting it soon as Tiny and Chrome.

The Baker kids are kind of amazing. Meg and Vincent must be so proud of them.

Kurieg posted:

I imagine Vincent Baker has a copy of the DMG, except the word "Dungeon Master" is scribbled out so hard it's gone through to the cardboard of the cover, the Lich has X's drawn over it's eyes and a bunch of daggers drawn into it's back.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his recent mania for GMless games coincides with the public activation of his and Meg's political side, which is essentially "full communism now," and not even in the joking way that phrase often gets used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

While I don't have a better phrase myself, it does sound clunky. On the other hand, you could literally call it anything and the shitlords will piss their pants in rage over saying "Maybe we could hear from someone who's not a white man, today" so whatever.