Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't understand how this is a bad idea at all. You literally can track all the progress you make in the event pass for free. You never have to pay for any of it. They are giving people free stuff out of it (most temporary, but 4 free perma items) . If you decide at the end of the month that your level of rewards warrant $10, then you can give them $10. If not, well, you played the game just like any other day. It's all cosmetic.

They are a business trying to make money and this is going to make money. You do not have to participate in this at all and it gives zero advantage in game to participate. This was not the ONLY thing they are working on. They are giving us a new map, some UI/QoL improvements, a new gun, and other things. I just don't get how people can be so upset over paid cosmetics and how it's a horrible idea. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It feels bad to be pandered to, I didn't pay $30 for a game to see advertisements, even for new features of that game. It's not some big mystery why they're doing it but I still don't like it and if I could stop it by poo poo-talking the game and promoting bad press, I would.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

the idea of having a battle pass for pubg isn't a bad idea outright, I think the problem is in the execution. So far we know it costs $10, maybe higher tiers that unlock something when you buy them but cost more. Time wise it lasts 4 weeks and everything unlocked is temporary expect for one item per pass. On top of all of that the game still has a base price.

Compare this to their competitor Fortnite: their pass lasts 3 months also costs $10 and has a ton of permanent unlocks its also free to play too.

none of that matter anyway, bluehole is gonna make a ton of money off the battlepass. so meh?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you pay $10 for the pass it literally has dozens of permanent unlocks, along with other items to unlock permanently for completing missions and such. If you don't care about any of those things or hate Bluehole, then don't give them money. There are 3 perma-items for free players and one name change.

And they are advertising their own game. They should absolutely be doing that in game and in the menu.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Feels odd that they're focusing on putting out a bunch of new cosmetics at the same time as they're defending all the premade assets they're still using

Sell me original cash registers and phone booths, is I guess what I'm saying

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Manky posted:

Feels odd that they're focusing on putting out a bunch of new cosmetics at the same time as they're defending all the premade assets they're still using

Sell me original cash registers and phone booths, is I guess what I'm saying

I gather from the last sentence you get how this isn't odd but just incase, things you can charge for are worth spending money making, things you can't charge for are (generally) not.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

now that they have dropped more info about the pass im more on board. 17 items sounds way better than 1 news sites were running with. Only question now is how hard is it to unlock everything, and maybe if the skins are worth $10 but that will change person to person.

edit: the more I think about this the less I care. yay money

Monowhatever fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 21, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Two things I will never stop doing:
  • Shooting out tires on all vehicles
  • Suiciding in no-win situations

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Winkle-Daddy posted:

csgo players have been doing this for years, though...?

They're gambling addicts.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Pubg is in a weird spot with their cosmetics because I don't feel like any of them are must haves

Some of the weapon skins are cool but it's not like I have much of a choice in weapon selection so it's like...so what?

I want that cowboy hat but I only play first person so I'll never see it

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

abigserve posted:

Pubg is in a weird spot with their cosmetics because I don't feel like any of them are must haves

Some of the weapon skins are cool but it's not like I have much of a choice in weapon selection so it's like...so what?

I would be a lot happier if all the skins came with a bright gaudy orange colors/toggle. I use the brightest possible skins to annoy my friends, because they stand out and "blow our cover" good times.

edit: words

Monowhatever fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 22, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

abigserve posted:

The hats are also really dumb items since you're just gonna swap them with a helmet for 90% of the match.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So just a heads up, the tops and bottoms aren't gender-locked or anything.

You can be a pretty girl no matter what gender you are and they will even provide breasts for you if your male.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

they will even provide breasts for you if your male.

Make goons feel right at home

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
$9.99 so I can get exclusive skins and cosmetics. Hahahahahaha, some balls Bluehole has.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Schiavona posted:

Make goons feel right at home

The characters are so skinny though. Goons can't relate at all to that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The balls of a company to put out some cosmetics as rewards for completing mindless missions as a sense of progress!!! The balls!!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So just a heads up, the tops and bottoms aren't gender-locked or anything.

You can be a pretty girl no matter what gender you are and they will even provide breasts for you if your male.

Actually on further inspection, if you click to preview the event items it'll show a female character regardless if your male or female.
That's not the only thing though, the female model they use is MUCH different then the normal one, the model looks like someone half dead or turning into a zombie with veiny slick skin and scars all over.
Maybe they plan to introduce a "kill the infected" mode down the line and accidently used one of the models for the preview?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lotta sour grapes over an optional buyin that doesnt affect the gameplay at all. but i guess we gotta wring our hands about every little inconsequential thing or else this isnt the internet

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

lotta sour grapes over an optional buyin that doesnt affect the gameplay at all. but i guess we gotta wring our hands about every little inconsequential thing or else this isnt the internet

They fully release an entirely new map, some QoL/UI adjustments, and optimized servers more and people are focused on "LOL TEN BUCKS FOR THIS DUMB poo poo CMON BLUEHOLE IM DONE WITH PUBG"

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
You're right, we're being SO unfair to the most popular game on steam. Look at all of us, saying we're done playing! Definitely it's more justified to complain about people complaining than levy the slightest criticism at our perfect, bug-free game, that definitely isn't regressing player-facing features like map selection

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
you sound like a crazy person

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I just want to know why the streams move so quickly. My guy just seems stuck in the mud, even running.

They're so quick!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Manky posted:

You're right, we're being SO unfair to the most popular game on steam. Look at all of us, saying we're done playing! Definitely it's more justified to complain about people complaining than levy the slightest criticism at our perfect, bug-free game, that definitely isn't regressing player-facing features like map selection

lol, yeah thats a bad post.

It's completely possible to think PUBG has made a mistake in removing map selection or whatever and to still think people upset about an optional $10 purchase for optional items is a stupid thing to complain about.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Luke-warm take: They didn't make a mistake removing map selection, they made a mistake adding map selection.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Only time I ever used map selection was when I got 5 in a row of the same map. It was nice for that, it's not a deal breaker for me whatsoever, especially now that Sanhok is available and I can choose that, or have a random chance of getting 3 maps instead of just 2.

And you can think that they still have work to do (they do, but you can't tell me they haven't been putting in work) and also think that complaining about something that is entirely 100% optional and cosmetic is stupid.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do i have to buy the event pass to get the name change

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do i have to buy the event pass to get the name change

No, you just have to play and get to the right level of XP.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
I get really mad when for-profit companies charge me for goods and services.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kill Dozed posted:

I get really mad when for-profit companies charge me for goods and services.

Me all day every day.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can I like things yet?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I like that we're complaining about people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about the game. We need to go further though.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009
Saw like 50 posts in this thread. Thought it would be about the fun new map. Instead it's about stuff that isn't required to play the game.

Fuckin Goons

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

O. Henry O-Face posted:

Saw like 50 posts in this thread. Thought it would be about the fun new map. Instead it's about stuff that isn't required to play the game.

Fuckin Goons

Don't sign ur posts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought I knew how to parachute but I never beat anyone to the ground in a hot drop straight down. Tips?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought I knew how to parachute but I never beat anyone to the ground in a hot drop straight down. Tips?

Snake. Go full speed down, then lift up to about ~190 and pull straight back down to full speed. The goal is to hit about ~170 speed on the pull back down to max velocity. If successful you should be the first person down. Also remember that the wind will pull you a bit in the planes direction still when you drop, so account for that by dropping a bit earlier than the angle you want to take down.

These are the things that I do and when I time them correctly I will be the first person down.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Put on more clothes so your heavier, you'll fall faster

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
thats false. more clothes is more wind resistance you idiot!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PUBG’s dead. Fractured Lands is the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VulgarandStupid posted:

PUBG’s dead. Fractured Lands is the future.

Both are dead. Maverick's Proving Grounds is the future.