Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Surprised this wasn't posted yet, people are freaking out: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/counterplay-and-play-styles

quote:

TL;DR - We are going to continue to make changes to evolve the game to give players multiple ways to counter each other in combat, and create more strategies to win the game.

Fortnite is constantly evolving. Our goal with any changes is to keep the game fun and interesting, keeping it feeling fresh and new.

It’s important to support a variety of late game strategies, that don’t boil down to “just build lol”. We strongly believe that the evolution of Fortnite supports a wide range of play styles and counterplay. Currently, the superiority of shotguns, rockets, and uncapped building are such a dominant play style in the final circle that most other strategies are being drowned out.
RECENT & UPCOMING CHANGES
We have made a few changes recently -- and will continue to make more -- to give you options to counter other players in combat, especially in the late game.

We are exploring changes to weapon balance and resource economy, like e.g. resource caps.
MOVING FORWARD
So, where does this leave us?

You should be able to find Victory Royales through multiple strategies. Shotguns should be strong, but other weapons have room to grow. Not every encounter should have to end in a build-off. We want to empower you to showcase your skill, strategy, and tactics in all variety of ways.

We’ll be exploring these changes over the next few weeks - we’re excited to hear your thoughts and encourage you to participate in discussions on our various social channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

prom candy posted:

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, people are freaking out: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/counterplay-and-play-styles

About what? It says nothing.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The game doesn't have enough mechanics to support "varied play"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's only so much variability you can introduce when the endgame puts you in a tiny circle. Those weapons and strategies are just the natural conclusion.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

For all seven people who play Save the World: Epic is dropping a 'State of the Game' blogpost at 3 pm EST that they've said is going to be a lot more substantial in expressing what they have planned for the PvE mode.

I'm honestly curious. They need to bring some really promising news if they want higher players to stick around for much longer.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Jetpacks, jump pads, aoe denial weapons like the jar and anything else they add or tweak could make more things viable or those weapons and strats a bigger risk.
Like you can just say you really enjoy endgame as it works now instead of pretending the game has reached some platonic ideal.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A buff to ARs might be interesting. More weapons that can tear through buildings would be cool too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

prom candy posted:

A buff to ARs might be interesting. More weapons that can tear through buildings would be cool too.

Hmm what about penetration? So that single wall doesn't guarantee you won't take damage. Would need to be a chance and/or also a percentage of damage so building doesn't become worthless or wind up as even more of a skillgap thing where 1x1 is worthless and the new meta is a 1x1 surounded by a 3x3 for pro builders.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't play an insane amount of Fortnite but it is so insanely dumb that you can win like ninety percent of engagements by shotgun-sprinting at someone while spamming 2 height ramps

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

:siren: BR and STW will get mode-specific keybindings. Targeted 4.5. :siren:

RE: STW blog

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/save-the-world-state-of-development---june-2018

Canny Valley biome coming fairly short after next season with part 1 of the CV campaign. (5.0).

Hero recruiting and schematic creating from collection book coming. With some restrictions (like Founder's stuff, I'm assuming event stuff too). Slated for 4.5, so next week?

Collection Book unslotting with 4.5 as well. Cost: 20 VBucks. In case you stamped a good one in there.

Builder Pro coming. Aimed to be in 4.5.

2 new flyer units (of which 1 is a steroid shielder), the other is the Zapper. Won't be here for another few months.

:siren: HORDE BASH CHALLENGE THE HORDE IS COMING BACK. 5.0 :siren:

It's by far the best event they've released.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 22, 2018

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Seditiar posted:

I'm honestly curious. They need to bring some really promising news if they want higher players to stick around for much longer.

There's quire a bit - https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/save-the-world-state-of-development---june-2018

quote:

Canney Valley Campaign part 1
Canney Valley unique biome
Recruit/Research to get whatever hero/schematic you want
Unslotting things in the Collection Book
New enemies
Other Stuff

edit: gently caress me, beaten like a dog.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good, I;m happy for any changes that mean the endgame is not "build with a shotgun"

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I actually missed the CV campaign part 1, thanks!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Don't buy and sell accounts for the monies gang! https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1010204183373537282

for clarification, it seems like his main account, with all of his skins, has been banned. he has a fresh "not TFue" account that has nothing that is apparently ok now.

AAB fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 22, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Banned for cloning Jake Paul

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cultisto posted:

I got the open seven chests challenge on my first attempt without any resistance and I might ruin this now but here you go, I dropped down to the small crater west of Pleasant Park because everyone is dropping there right now. The crater will have between 1-3 chests within 10ft of each other. Then head north towards the graveyard, it will likely also be deserted and there's what, 9 chests there minimum? If for some reason you haven't already got the challenge by then Junk Junction is next door and is littered with chests everywhere.

Everyone's going to PP or Retail Row or Salty Springs right now so this is probably the safest corner with the highest density of chests that I can think of.

I thought you were talking about the Salty Springs challenge at first and got very confused. The opposite corner also works. Nobody goes to Moisty despite it being a literal treasure trove and there's a similar crescent of other places to stop by in the area.

prom candy posted:

ARs confound me because about 25% of the time I can land consistent shots, 50% of the time I try to hit stuff at range and get nowhere, and the last 25% of the time spamming them at close range causes every single bullet to curve around who I'm shooting at. Meanwhile, any time an enemy has one they can 1-2-3 me in the head in 0.5 seconds with seemingly no recoil or any other kind of effort regardless of whatever I'm doing. I can't tell if it's a netcode thing or everyone but me gets an orange SCAR out of their first chest. Regardless, there's probably a far too large gap between grey to blue ARs and the good stuff.

That said, everything can already tear through buildings. They removed damage fall-off to structures a few patches ago and also buffed the minigun and C4. If anything, it made things kinda hosed because if someone has you dead to rights they can just burn through your wood supply until you die and if you're outnumbered you've got no chance at all to at least slap something down. This was in tandem with nerfing material gains.

Anything that moves the game away from entirely too many fights coming down to who can luck enough pellets into the other person's head as you both hop/build around like idiots is ultimately a good thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 22, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's only assuming they have a lot of ammo.

If you're not stacked it's risky to destroy a bunch of someone's buildings because you can end up getting less ammo than you spent, which sucks

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like at most stages of the game where that kind of stuff goes down, you'll have either slurped up extra ammo from kills or scrounged for enough ammo boxes to be able to spam some structures down. I guess there's also a distinction to be made between knocking out freshly-placed battle walls and cutting through fully established forts.

Also the trick is to not solely rely on your AR. SMGs work a treat and you're more likely to have disposable small ammo banked. Hell, it gives basic pistols something to be good at.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 22, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tac SMGs can be savage. You don't have the alpha strike of a shotgun but if someone misses you with a pump you can shred them before they get a second shot and an SMG just rips apart walls. Your RoF is fast enough that you'll probably hit someone who's spam-building walls, but a burst AR's real good for that too.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Bloom is the real problem. By the time you're close enough that AR's can consistently do damage without waiting for first shot accuracy, you're close enough that you'd be as well building on them and shooting them in the face with a shotgun. On top of that, waiting for first shot accuracy requires standing still for long enough that someone can pop up from third personing and remove your head with a sniper.

Remove ads/rmb bloom, add recoil patterns & balance damage once that's done. Probably also need to throw in a slight delay for crouch spamming to reduce the effectiveness of ghost peeking because being able to do damage while only exposing your character model for a single frame that doesn't even show from the opponents pov is broken.

Oh, and it's also worth bringing up the purple minigun vs ARs. Comparing a gold scar to a purple minigun, the minigun has better range (it has no fall off modifier at all, it will do 18 damage per shot up until max range), better damage (216 vs 198 not including AR's reloads), tighter bloom, less recoil and no reloads.

If epic so decide to nerf ghost peeking, it'll effectively just be another minigun buff.

I'm probably gonna be running double pump/heavy, minigun, scoped/thermal/sniper and heals until they do something for ARs.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 23, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The game is going to feel a lot different if they switch from bloom to recoil.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm liking this team mode a lot more since I made it my MO to just get behind enemy teams, find a silenced gun and go to town.
RPG also helps when they don't know you're behind their fort!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

red card is back

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Came across a video on reddit which was pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBcSG8qnd0

A top level EU player discusses the issues in the current competitive meta. Competitive here meaning good squads vs good squads, not pub stomping keemstar tournaments. EU communities had access to private lobby keys, and were running leagues. Games of 12 teams/48 players. What happened was that 9 out of 10 times, games were ending with 30-38 players still alive in the 3rd or 4th final circle, all in a giant mess of building. Squads would attempt to get the highground, then leave one person up there with the heals to outlive the storm, while the other 3 went down the structure to end other teams. And this structure isn't coming down, because it's been connected by 8-10 squads several circles ago. Given what's shown & discussed in the video, it's no wonder they haven't given NA pros private lobby keys. Keemstar's tournaments are getting 8 million views...epic don't want 8 that god drat mess of a meta being seen 8 million times.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

objectively bad posted:

Came across a video on reddit which was pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBcSG8qnd0

A top level EU player discusses the issues in the current competitive meta. Competitive here meaning good squads vs good squads, not pub stomping keemstar tournaments. EU communities had access to private lobby keys, and were running leagues. Games of 12 teams/48 players. What happened was that 9 out of 10 times, games were ending with 30-38 players still alive in the 3rd or 4th final circle, all in a giant mess of building. Squads would attempt to get the highground, then leave one person up there with the heals to outlive the storm, while the other 3 went down the structure to end other teams. And this structure isn't coming down, because it's been connected by 8-10 squads several circles ago. Given what's shown & discussed in the video, it's no wonder they haven't given NA pros private lobby keys. Keemstar's tournaments are getting 8 million views...epic don't want 8 that god drat mess of a meta being seen 8 million times.

But the US does have private keys, doesn't it? At least on ps4 I know I saw the option a few weeks ago to set one. Maybe it was a slip up or doesn't actually function.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Coolness Averted posted:

But the US does have private keys, doesn't it? At least on ps4 I know I saw the option a few weeks ago to set one. Maybe it was a slip up or doesn't actually function.

Doesnt actually function yet, but the option was there on consoles a few weeks ago yeah

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AAB posted:

red card is back

Fuuuuuuck only until like tomorrow afternoon right? I hope I get back from this cabin in time to slam that buy button...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

objectively bad posted:

storm probably needs to destroy player buildings or something at a certain rate like player health.

The whole end game being shotguns+building isn't going to change unless they change how the circles operate most likely. I just don't see even gold rifles (especially not gold sniper rifles) being useful when there's a circle with like a 20' radius.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

MF_James posted:

storm probably needs to destroy player buildings or something at a certain rate like player health.

The whole end game being shotguns+building isn't going to change unless they change how the circles operate most likely. I just don't see even gold rifles (especially not gold sniper rifles) being useful when there's a circle with like a 20' radius.

I cant imagine their servers would be able to handle player buildings all over the map having to interact with the storm, instead of effectively being able to ignore anything in the storm. It would be like the starting days of tilted with 30+ players landing there, but map wide.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hi guys. Been playing a lot on Switch and PC! Please add my dead gay corpse to your friend list so that we can do the friendship challenges together. I'm going by Quesadilla Killa and will be changing name to something even stupider later.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Turpitude posted:

Hi guys. Been playing a lot on Switch and PC! Please add my dead gay corpse to your friend list so that we can do the friendship challenges together. I'm going by Quesadilla Killa and will be changing name to something even stupider later.

I was hoping 'my dead gay corpse' was your totally cool username

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, changing name asap

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
C4 is legit

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Made it back from mini vacation and was able to buy the red card emote :bubblewoop:

My wheel is now only 2 dances, am I emoting correctly?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

MF_James posted:

One of the STW missions is on a big crater and buildings slowly lose health. The effect is kind of awesome.

Is very easy for Epic to test something around this in a LTM, make the final circle stop shrinking and destroy buildings by slowly eat their life.

If it is done like in STW, it would be awesome, with trees and walls "burning" with purple flames.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turpitude posted:

I added you, I play mostly on Switch, I'm One_T_Matt

Unrelated, I really love the louder footsteps in this game. One of my favorite things is tracking them when they're nearby and trying to get the jump on people. Sometimes it even works!!

https://twitter.com/one_t_matt/status/1011117015610740737

Using the positional audio to find chests is really satisfying too

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 25, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Positional audio in Fortnite have some problems. Sometimes it lags and you heard your footsteps so lagged that put you in paranoid state somebody is following you.

But yea. To improve success rates, is basic to play with hearphones to heard enemies footsteps and hidden chests.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

MF_James posted:

That meta hasn't come about because of buildings surviving in the storm, it's because when the objective is to have the best possible placement the value of materials late game is too important to risk fighting early/mid game.

The storm destroying buildings wouldn't have much of an effect on this because you'll have 10 teams all connecting their forts in the final circles anyway. The likely solution is reducing the material cap, and increasing the amoutnt of materials available around the map.

Reducing the material cap means that you need less time to put yourself on an even playing field after a fight, because the next person/team you fight will have a max of let's say, 1500 materials as opposed to 2997. The material availability is needed to allow teams to take fights and use materials with less risk of the storm circle forcing them into an area with no materials to farm. The example given in the video was between risky & anarchy. Going into this area with less materials than your opponent puts you at a serious disadvantage because there's about 5 trees and a couple of houses. If the circle's headed that way, there's no good reason to take a fight instead of preserving materials.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 25, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Everyone should drop at least 100ish materials when they die no matter how many actual materials they were holding. If the goal is to produce a metagame that spurs a lot of action you need to give people a great reason to engage beyond just "it's more fun than edge camping."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The solution is to turn the gravity crystals into a consumable. Every endgame will have people zooming around like is Quake Arena.