Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

FulsomFrank posted:

How is the [Istanbul] dice version? Haven't heard a thing about it.

I picked up Istanbul Dice because I love the original game so much. It's fine. Pretty straight forward game of roll X dice > optionally spend a resource for rerolls as desired > turn in dice for goods rolled > eventually turn in goods for bonuses / gems needed to win. Pass the dice, rinse, repeat until someone gets all their gems. Squarely sits in the "we've got 20min to kill at the beginning / end of the night, let's roll some dice" space, in which any number of games with more dynamic decisions already exist.

Speaking of dice games, I also finally picked up a copy of Biblios Dice from the BGG market because I'm also so incredibly fond of the original, figure I'd say a few words about it here. It uses dice for resources as well to move up the various thematic tracks to earn points at the end game based on the value of that track's die, similar to how the scoring in the card game works, except that the dice pool is drafted instead of being isolated to your own turn like above in Istanbul. Then every few turns the dice pool is divided into two groups (of something like 6 dice and 3 dice) by the turn player and it incorporates an auction for the two sets of dice using a simultaneous bidding system with cards; everyone places a card (values 1-7 or blank I believe) face down, then all reveal their first bid. If you place your blank, you're passing all subsequent bids for the round. Otherwise, all bidding players continue placing & revealing one bid at a time, adding to their total bid, until all players pass. Player who bids the highest sum on their cards pays the full quantity in coins from behind their screen and picks one of the two groups of dice for themselves, while the second highest bidder takes the other group, but only has to pay half of their bid. That auction system was pretty clever, though at the end of the day being a dice game it was still subject to the occasional crazy luck roll and someone just first-picking half the dice that happen to all roll the same resource, leaving other players with poo poo options. So, it definitely doesn't quite live up to the quality of the card game, but it wasn't bad. I was surprised to find that it actually played a little longer than the card game; usually dice games tend to be pretty quick, but the addition of the auction phases definitely bump it up to a full 40-ish min game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
OG gric is the heat due to farmers of the moor and expansion decks. When revised gets those then maybe I’ll change my mind.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kerro posted:

I wouldn't be able to start anything until next week as I'm busy all weekend, but would anyone else be interested if I did do a pbf of Cthulhu Wars? Would probably limit it to 4 people, base factions for the first game.

Definitely interested, but I may cede my spot to a newbie for the first game. I'd be super down to grab an expansion faction if we can get some momentum behind the games.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There's no shortage of Cthulhu Wars players, but yeah, I'd sit out if new players want in.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey, I got Founders of Gloomhaven in the mail, what a nice surprise!

Kerro posted:

would anyone else be interested if I did do a pbf of Cthulhu Wars? Would probably limit it to 4 people, base factions for the first game.

I'd be up for PBF of Cthulhu Wars, but just up front I'm not usually online on weekends. I don't wanna be the bus stop that halts game flow or anything.

On the plus side, I always finish games I start.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Report on founders please!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Hey, I got Founders of Gloomhaven in the mail, what a nice surprise!

Bastard. Mine is sitting in Kitchener right now. Figures I couldn't have it for the weekend.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Never played Cthulhu Wars, or done any PBF, but I'd be up for giving it a try.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I updated my travel box to it's final form.

Import/Export
Valley of the Kings
Mottainai
Schotten Totten
Fox in the Forest
Spy
Innovation
ONUW
Deep Sea Adventure
A Fake Artist Goes to NY
Santorini
Tak
Onitama
Cockroach Poker
Skull

Alternatively, I can remove the two Oink games and fit enough of my Star Wars MTG cube for 4 players if it's that kinda crowd. 15 games, all in the size of a big hardback book. I can fit it and two TTR size boxes in my backpack comfortably. The box was at Walmart under a generic brand with the Ultrapro and Pokemon stuff, but it's also on Amazon under 1100 card case.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 22, 2018

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Tell me about Spy and Deep Sea Adventure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deep Sea Adventure is a hilarious push your luck that's semi coop. You all share a small oxygen supply and you're rolling d6's that only have 1-3 on them to move. When you stop you can either take the treasure or not, but once you do you start spending oxygen and reducing your movement each turn by the amount of treasures you're holding. The deeper you go, the more valuable the treasure. If you don't make it back to the sub you drop everything and it sinks to the bottom, but all other spots that were taken are removed, making the next round have a shorter track. The first round is everyone being really greedy and going deep until someone grabs one or two pieces and the rest realize how hosed they are. It's a riot. It might be the best Oink game depending on how your group takes to Fake Artist.

Spy is basically hand management and deduction where you try to crack another players safe without blowing up their bomb. Like all Pack-O-Games stuff though, the game is overdesigned and the rules are a mess compared to what you actually do. Just look at this garbage

That said, it's fun enough for $5 and needs no table space making it a great travel game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Deep Sea Adventure is a hilarious push your luck that's semi coop. You all share a small oxygen supply and you're rolling d6's that only have 1-3 on them to move. When you stop you can either take the treasure or not, but once you do you start spending oxygen and reducing your movement each turn by the amount of treasures you're holding. The deeper you go, the more valuable the treasure. If you don't make it back to the sub you drop everything and it sinks to the bottom, but all other spots that were taken are removed, making the next round have a shorter track. The first round is everyone being really greedy and going deep until someone grabs one or two pieces and the rest realize how hosed they are. It's a riot. It might be the best Oink game depending on how your group takes to Fake Artist.

Based on this and what I've heard, it sounds like a roll and move version of Clank?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Some Numbers posted:

Based on this and what I've heard, it sounds like a roll and move version of Clank?

Sounds accurate enough, but probably plays in a fraction of the time giving making it way more palatable.

SPY sounds kind of interesting. The only Pack-o-Games game I've played and enjoyed thoroughly is SHH, which is silent co-op word building. Also has some holes in the rules, but for the most part it's a simple, clean design that anyone can understand and play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, but good. Removes the lovely deckbuilding and adds the shared autofail resource pool. It's the kind of game anyone can play and enjoy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That is an excellent description of it. I would add "but not awful."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also join the Discord, we have fun and do dumb things

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Alright I'll get a Cthulhu Wars pbf setup on Monday if not before, and if that goes well maybe can get another game going with some expansion factions.

It looks like someone on bgg has already done all the hard work of creating pbf assets so seems like it should be fairly easy to run.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I was getting tempted by the Flow of History talk. Looked into it, and the game has actually been out since 2016. Made me wonder why it wasn't more popular. After doing some digging, it seems it was a relatively limited print run the first time around. However, there do seem to be legitimate criticisms with the end game. Enough that it's tempered my expectations, and I feel comfortable not buying it until I see if people actually still care about the game a few months from now.

Here is one such thread that outlies some of the end game issues: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1974066/better-end-game-anyone

To be frank, they're discussing a non-issue. So much so that no one has really said "yes, this happened to me" and are just discussing ways to avoid it if it does happen. The thing about Flow is that you can procrastinate indefinitely so if you find yourself in a kingmaking position where you can't win you can just take money until one of the contested players does something that ends the game. In six games I haven't seen it happen.

Another person mentions The Future being worth a lot of points but it's worth about as much as any wonder will be worth and the only way to get it is if you have a specific card available like Christopher Columbus.

e: To be more specific, the endgame is very similar to Through the Ages where you are building towards very specific goals that you know will come. But unlike TtA where there's a built in timer, FoH lets you stall indefinitely so among equally skilled players there's a lot of speculation, careful card play, and politics that crop up. If I were to compare the pacing the first 3/4 of the game are Kemet, fast paced and aggressive, and the last 1/4 is Inis where the playing field is studied like an NFL playbook.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 22, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Also join the Discord, we have fun and do dumb things

:eyepop:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, but the box is smaller than a cell phone from 1996, and the whole game plays in 15 minutes including rules.

+5 minutes if you have a complete tabletop newbie. But as a bonus that newbie will likely make a funny anguished sound when the shared oxygen depletion mechanic clicks, and they realize they are hosed.

Quoting for bookmark. I need to get a dedicated box for this as I currently just have 5 games stuffed in my Fuse box.

You should check out Startups by Oink. Its a neat little set collection/bluffing game that has a little more depth than the other games I’ve played by them (but still pretty light). Not sure how fleshed out the 4-6 player category is in your box, don’t know half of those off the top of my head.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

al-azad posted:

To be frank, they're discussing a non-issue. So much so that no one has really said "yes, this happened to me" and are just discussing ways to avoid it if it does happen. The thing about Flow is that you can procrastinate indefinitely so if you find yourself in a kingmaking position where you can't win you can just take money until one of the contested players does something that ends the game. In six games I haven't seen it happen.

Another person mentions The Future being worth a lot of points but it's worth about as much as any wonder will be worth and the only way to get it is if you have a specific card available like Christopher Columbus.

e: To be more specific, the endgame is very similar to Through the Ages where you are building towards very specific goals that you know will come. But unlike TtA where there's a built in timer, FoH lets you stall indefinitely so among equally skilled players there's a lot of speculation, careful card play, and politics that crop up. If I were to compare the pacing the first 3/4 of the game are Kemet, fast paced and aggressive, and the last 1/4 is Inis where the playing field is studied like an NFL playbook.

Well damnit, guess I am buying it after all. Especially since I find I generally agree with your opinions on games

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Clearly, the game is irreparably broken, also: anyone that has the deluxified version and wants to offload it for cheap, let me know. I have to stress that the game is broken and bad and worthless though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Has anyone seen or tried out Spy Club?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jejoma posted:

Also the thread about her original post over on BGG is a loving burning cesspool, which is a surprise to no one, of course.

I am really going to miss SA, last place where "virtue signaling" isn't used as an argument.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone play The Shipwreck Arcana? It sounds interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I am really going to miss SA, last place where "virtue signaling" isn't used as an argument.

Depends on which subforum you're in sadly.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Shipwreck Arcana is fantastic. The puzzles it creates can get a little samey sometimes and not all board will be good, but you will get several great moments in every game, and for a 30 minute game that ain't bad.

Spy Club is not out yet, unless it's been available at cons or whatever. Should be arriving to backers in the next few weeks though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I would really like people to stop banging on about how SA is dying. It's like visiting a sick relative in hospital and starting every conversation with "I'll be sad when you're dead".

If SA does go tits up without warning, I'll start a thread on BGG where we can at least congregate and figure out where to hang next. Or we can just invade the place and promote change.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bodanarko posted:

Clearly, the game is irreparably broken, also: anyone that has the deluxified version and wants to offload it for cheap, let me know. I have to stress that the game is broken and bad and worthless though.
There was one guy selling it for $30 but I bought it myself to save you the horror. You're welcome.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

I would really like people to stop banging on about how SA is dying. It's like visiting a sick relative in hospital and starting every conversation with "I'll be sad when you're dead".

If SA does go tits up without warning, I'll start a thread on BGG where we can at least congregate and figure out where to hang next. Or we can just invade the place and promote change.

If it ends without warning, what % of the thread will remember you said this and find your thread on BGG? They'd have to remember, because this wouldn't be here to remind them.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

homullus posted:

If it ends without warning, what % of the thread will remember you said this and find your thread on BGG? They'd have to remember, because this wouldn't be here to remind them.

There is a discord

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if, after all these years, Lowtax just shut the site down with no warning.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My friends just got gloomhaven and were going in on it work them, also my dad got me Robinson Crusoe for my birthday. Anything I should know in advance about either of these going in? Like I know what gloomhaven is and I know that Robinson Crusoe is hard and prone to quarterbacking, but like any tips you wish you'd known in advance? Also, not after any spoilers, but I really really like gimmicks, and I'll be jealous if someone else gets a more gimmicky character than me in gloomhaven. Anything I should aim for beyond the starting characters? Thanks!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

!Klams posted:

My friends just got gloomhaven and were going in on it work them, also my dad got me Robinson Crusoe for my birthday. Anything I should know in advance about either of these going in? Like I know what gloomhaven is and I know that Robinson Crusoe is hard and prone to quarterbacking, but like any tips you wish you'd known in advance? Also, not after any spoilers, but I really really like gimmicks, and I'll be jealous if someone else gets a more gimmicky character than me in gloomhaven. Anything I should aim for beyond the starting characters? Thanks!

Check out our dedicated GH thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191&pagenumber=118&perpage=40

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

An interesting article from Mark Rosewater on the definition of a game. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but I like the idea behind it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

!Klams posted:

Expect Robinson Crusoe to be an experience generator that can kill you with unavoidable randomness and you'll enjoy it. Think of it as a coop puzzle that can be solved through superior strategic decisions and you won't.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

Expect Robinson Crusoe to be an experience generator that can kill you with unavoidable randomness and you'll enjoy it. Think of it as a coop puzzle that can be solved through superior strategic decisions and you won't.

Robinson Crusoe gives you the realistic experience of a man stranded on a tropical island. Meaning, you will die from starvation and disease through no fault of your own.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rumda posted:

There is a discord

Yeah, and a BGG guild. I'm in both and not worried about myself. I recognize what it took for me to finally bother at all with BGG and Discord and believe there are more like me, but who just haven't bothered with either. :shrug:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Ah, amazing, thanks for the tips dudes. I'm all about experience generators tbh, I loved Arkham horror and actually even really enjoyed talisman for a long old time, because they kicked up some great experiences (I can't really believe some of the stuff that happened in our talisman group in retrospect, because it was so coherent). I suspect we'll enjoy it then! Didn't realise gh had its own thread, although from the amount of hype and love it gets I'm not surprised! Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any talk of a roads & boats reprint?